THE CONTRACTS THREAD [with updates]

rpfc

The number that are out of contract does seem alarmingly high, and I hope we start hearing about some re-signings soon. In order of preference, I'd be signing up:

Jones, Howe, TMcDonald, Jurrah, Blease, Garland, McKenzie, Bartram, Rivers, Bail, Cook, Davis, Strauss, Petterd, Jetta, Fitzpatrick, Nicholson, Moloney, Spencer, Dunn, Green, Jamar, Bennell, Bate, MacDonald.

Our list is underperforming so much it's difficult to know where to begin . We'll have a much better idea at seasons end . The interesting bit is that our own free agents coupled with the contracted Sylvia and Davey hold the key to our re-build . And it's looking increasingly likely that that's what we'll be doing .

I can foresee a stack of new players at the club next year . Through trading , the draft and hopefully 3-4 players picked up as free agents . We may go for Cloke but he'll probably take up too much of our salary cap . Experienced midfielders are what we need - desperately

The word is that a new deal for Cloke with Collingwood is imminent.

You rate him 21st out of 25.

Behind Fitzpatrick, Petterd, cook, Bennell and Bail.

Not sure you will have many agreeing on that one Dee-luded certainly not me.

From that list there is only one other I would say has Star ability.

Why so low?

I can only assume that you're talking about young Jamie Bennell?

• Like 2

The word is that a new deal for Cloke with Collingwood is imminent.

Hadn't heard that - ta . Would love the bloke at CHF for us but it was always going to be a tall order getting him . There's plenty of talent available - if we can finish off the season well and make ourselves look a bit more of an attractive proposition we'll have a much greater chance . If we entice one fairly big name then others may follow . We have to be a big player for those free agents . Of course money talks as well , but we can't be there for superannuation !

Hadn't heard that - ta . Would love the bloke at CHF for us but it was always going to be a tall order getting him . There's plenty of talent available - if we can finish off the season well and make ourselves look a bit more of an attractive proposition we'll have a much greater chance . If we entice one fairly big name then others may follow . We have to be a big player for those free agents . Of course money talks as well , but we can't be there for superannuation !

I agree. We need to be VERY active this offseason otherwise I fear we'll be in for a few more seasons with similar results. As much as I would like to see Cloke in a red and blue jumper, I don't think he would be the best available player to target. I'd be more interested in chasing established midfielders. We've already got quite a strong forward line IMO...maybe missing a genuine small forward. If I were in charge, I'd be targeting players like Stanton, Mitchell, Hodge, Sewell, Goddard, and maybe even Milne.

I agree. We need to be VERY active this offseason otherwise I fear we'll be in for a few more seasons with similar results. As much as I would like to see Cloke in a red and blue jumper, I don't think he would be the best available player to target. I'd be more interested in chasing established midfielders. We've already got quite a strong forward line IMO...maybe missing a genuine small forward. If I were in charge, I'd be targeting players like Stanton, Mitchell, Hodge, Sewell, Goddard, and maybe even Milne.

There's some good names in there 'GTG' . And there are other 'lesser' names who would be very valuable .

We're in a bit of a 'catch-22' situation . The less games we win , the better the draft picks but .......the less chance of enticing free agents . I'd prefer it if we tried to win as many games as possible . Picks 4 and 5 or 5 and 6 is not such a bad result . We would have taken those numbers at the start of the season .

As for enticing those free agents the club needs an old fashioned 'spruiker' to get some decent talent across . It could end up being a bit of a 'throw-back' to the old days . A Jim Cardwell type . Maybe we could use RDB to help us out .

Edited by Macca

I can only assume that you're talking about young Jamie Bennell?

I was refering to Dee-luded 's order of preference as he set out below

The comment was based on Jurrah being 21 in a list of 25

in order of preference..

* Jones, Howe, TMcDonald, Davis, Garland, Blease, Fitzpatrick, McKenzie, Strauss, Rivers, Spencer, Petterd, Cook, Nicholson, Bartram, Jetta, Bennell, Jamar, Bail, Moloney, Jurrah, Bate, MacDonald, Dunn, Green.

Does that make sense?

Edited by old dee

If I were in charge, I'd be targeting players like Stanton, Mitchell, Hodge, Sewell, Goddard, and maybe even Milne.

I love that list, but if Stephen Milne comes to play for the Dees I couldn't cope. I love to hate that guy. What would I do at St Kilda games? It's not the same hating on Riewoldt.

The number that are out of contract does seem alarmingly high, and I hope we start hearing about some re-signings soon. In order of preference,

Why is it alarmingly high? Given that most players sign two year contracts it's logical that you'd expect up to half your list to be out of contract at once. There's a good reason why it's a full time job managing this and why it takes all year to get through all the signings.

There's some good names in there 'GTG' . And there are other 'lesser' names who would be very valuable .

We're in a bit of a 'catch-22' situation . The less games we win , the better the draft picks but .......the less chance of enticing free agents . I'd prefer it if we tried to win as many games as possible . Picks 4 and 5 or 5 and 6 is not such a bad result . We would have taken those numbers at the start of the season .

As for enticing those free agents the club needs an old fashioned 'spruiker' to get some decent talent across . It could end up being a bit of a 'throw-back' to the old days . A Jim Cardwell type . Maybe we could use RDB to help us out .

You're right. As much as I would love high draft picks, it's quite uncommon that the first player picked turns out to be the best player in that draft in the long run. I'd be just as happy finishing the season with a few wins and getting later draft picks, even if just for a bit of joy in what is looking like a very long season. Enticing free agents would be a bonus.

Why is it alarmingly high? Given that most players sign two year contracts it's logical that you'd expect up to half your list to be out of contract at once. There's a good reason why it's a full time job managing this and why it takes all year to get through all the signings.

I may well be wrong, but it seems that in the last few years we didn't have this many players coming out of contract at season's end.

Biggest concern of the non-FAs for me is Blease. Others I think will re-sign because won't want to go into draft. GWS will in all likelihood finish last and get #1 preseason draft pick. Blease may want to go up with old mate $cully.

I reckon may be up to 7 list changes at end of year (mix of delistings and FA departures). 5 draft picks (bumper draft and likely will have 5 picks inside top 40 picks), upgrade Nicho (depending on the rest of his season) and hopefully a FA signing (Boak would be dream, otherwise maybe Montagna? Saints have salary cap problems and he may be expendable if they pay to keep Goddard).

I'd like one more year out of Green. Reckon he's still got a bit to offer. And he's a veteran so salary doesn't count much to cap and gives one automatic rookie update (Magner again).

Magner will likely have to spend one more year on rookie list and get list spot in next draft. Hopefully Sheahan kicks on and is in mix for upgrade next year. Shows more AFL ability traits to me than Fitzpatrick.

The most astounding thing to me is that Dunn and Bate will be unrestricted free agents at the end of the year. It's hard to believe both those players have been persisted with for so long given that neither has ever solidified their spot in the seniors. Perhaps if they had been the victims of serious injuries, such as ACLs, along the way there might have been some justification. But to my mind the fact that both are still on the list is extraordinary.

• Like 1

Biggest concern of the non-FAs for me is Blease. Others I think will re-sign because won't want to go into draft. GWS will in all likelihood finish last and get #1 preseason draft pick. Blease may want to go up with old mate $cully.

It's a valid concern but I would like to think he would want to stay. He seems to be enjoying his footy.

I certainly am.

• Like 1

Not Stanton, Goddard or Milne. Would certainly go the three Hawks though.

Stanton has had 6 or 7 good games in just as many seasons and they've all come in this season. Ordinary player, not blessed with astounding pace or good foot skills.

Meanwhile, Goddard is a really good player, but not leadership material. He's also not a fast line-breaker. I'd prefer to spend big cash on a young inside/outside mid like Boak or a key position player like Cloke. I'd even throw big coin at the three Hawks. They all have leadership and ball extraction ability. They're our best plays.

As for Milne, he's a very good player. I'm only against him because I decry the weed that he is.

It's a valid concern but I would like to think he would want to stay. He seems to be enjoying his footy.

I certainly am.

It is a very long time ago now But I played in some ordinary teams and some good ones.

The bad ones were very hard work with not a lot of joy.

I wonder if he sees the Dees as too hard.

If a trade was available with a half decent side would he go?

I reckon I would

But the MFC have been very good to him through broken legs etc.

It will be interesting to see.

August - November may well be more interesting than watching the Dees play this year.

Stanton has had 6 or 7 good games in just as many seasons and they've all come in this season. Ordinary player, not blessed with astounding pace or good foot skills.

Meanwhile, Goddard is a really good player, but not leadership material. He's also not a fast line-breaker. I'd prefer to spend big cash on a young inside/outside mid like Boak or a key position player like Cloke. I'd even throw big coin at the three Hawks. They all have leadership and ball extraction ability. They're our best plays.

As for Milne, he's a very good player. I'm only against him because I decry the weed that he is.

I don't care anymore AF

I want winners not choir boys.

Winning games is my aim.

The rest I could not care less

• Like 1

I don't care anymore AF

I want winners not choir boys.

Winning games is my aim.

The rest I could not care less

If he was a winner that might be an argument, but he doesn't have a medal.

It's a fairly basic point hey Nasher? Most Club's will on average, have 16 players out of contract at some stage each year. Some will not get extensions until the end of that season, some will get extensions prior.

I ask this question for those that are alarmed...would you prefer the list of OOC players to have all been signed up by now? Doesn't give us much movement at the end of the year when we are required to make a minimum of 3 changes.

We are win-less on the bottom of the ladder, we have a new coach, a new football department, and new expectations. I would imagine no player is "safe", especially given the current form of most.

It is a very long time ago now But I played in some ordinary teams and some good ones.

The bad ones were very hard work with not a lot of joy.

I wonder if he sees the Dees as too hard.

If a trade was available with a half decent side would he go?

I reckon I would

But the MFC have been very good to him through broken legs etc.

It will be interesting to see.

August - November may well be more interesting than watching the Dees play this year.

Jeez, OD. You are a massive killjoy.

Maybe he wants to help turn the club around? Maybe that is why he is playing with a verve and flair and went for that amazing goal on the weekend.

I refuse to see every little thing that is going right as another potential thing that could go wrong.

• Like 1

Here are the contracts for people who think a contracted Martin will be gone or for those fans worried about what Healy said to McLardy last night about youngsters not re-signing.

What exactly was said here?