Watts will be around for a long time at MFC if he gets the correct development. I've noticed he seems to have a lighter build this year. If so, that's strange, because with his skills and at his height he should be bulking up to take on a key position role. I'm open to informed comment on this perception.

Watts will be around for a long time at MFC if he gets the correct development. I've noticed he seems to have a lighter build this year. If so, that's strange, because with his skills and at his height he should be bulking up to take on a key position role. I'm open to informed comment on this perception.

all depends on what role the coaches see him playing. if thats up forward, then yes you would expect him to bulk up. i think the first thing they need to work on is his core strength and strength through the legs. i think another preseason working on core strength will help jack dramatically. it will allow him to hold his ground better in marking contests, break tackles and not get knocked off the ball. i think with this, jack will start to win more one on one contests, and start to get the confidence to use his body more.

I used to work with coburg until this year. Watched every one of their games from the bench for 3 years. Thought a lot of their young kids were pretty ordinary. Thought they were on a road to nowhere. Some of them looked very soft and very lazy to me. One of those was a boy who played very nicely yesterday on Buddy Franklin. Highly rated tall as a youngster... has taken him a while to develop. Looks a much better player in a winning team... as do most of them come to think of it... Hmmmm....

• Like 1

Melbourne put him up for trade at seasons end or whenever r his contract is up.

He has no passion for the game or contest, looks like he is in slow motion no urgency as well as this he needs to be selfish and go for it, to many times goes for the team option when it is not needed.

Has shown nothing since being on our list.

Why keep him for another two years hoping he will come good , trade him off while he may be worth something.

Otherwise we keep him till he even realises he hasn't got what it takes and is totally worthless.

Before every one starts sprouting rubbish that big guys take longer to develop is aloud of crap,we don't have time.

He seems like a nice guy and I hope he proves me wrong,but He won't.

Get a little closer to the screen, i have to whisper so the mods dont hear..

You're an idiot.

• Like 4

I reckon he looks bigger again. I'll wager that he's put on a couple of kilos too. Still could put on another 10kg.

all depends on what role the coaches see him playing. if thats up forward, then yes you would expect him to bulk up. i think the first thing they need to work on is his core strength and strength through the legs. i think another preseason working on core strength will help jack dramatically. it will allow him to hold his ground better in marking contests, break tackles and not get knocked off the ball. i think with this, jack will start to win more one on one contests, and start to get the confidence to use his body more.

I agree with this. Better core strength will help him keep his feet in contests and give him better acceleration. It seems that he has put weight on his arms and shoulders but tackling strength comes from lower down. (before anyone says it, I'm not talking about his gonads)

• Like 1

Pity our fans like to make themselves look so clueless.

Why join the rest of the country on his back instead of being the ones who support him

Ridicolous call, stupid thread

Well said.

The bigger issue here is the shizen efforts from our more experienced brigade - starting with Maloney, Dunne, Sylvia.

I hate the fact that 1 out of 10 people either in the media or on the street absolutely hang crap on watts and their voice is heard more then the 9 out of 10 who can see the improvement in jack all the time.

Didn't one David Neitz start in defense at start of his career and look what he became a great reader of the play with bustling attributes as he got bigger and stronger over the years. Lay off Jack.. He cops it enough without us demonising his style. He will get there

Watts won some contested football at ground level which was encouraging and his handball was very creative in tight. But there's no getting away from the fact that he doesn't attack the ball in the air - he needed to move forward and jump at the Robinson ball in the 3rd quarter and he needed to fly for the mark in the exact same spot but in the forward line in the last quarter - he had the sit at 180 degress to the direction of the ball where the other 3 players were flew at angles. It's simply just not good enough.

• Like 1

I reckon Jack has so many conflicting instructions (game plans) he could well be overthinking any situation. I still say his instinctive actions is often not supported by team mates causing him to look slow or indecisive. He also is often in the right place but is ignored or delivery is so poor that he appears awkward

He does not enjoy the bonus of being in a successful unit with others used to success when they all get a bit of success it may well allow Watts to be more dominant with fewer possesions

As others say I enjoy it when he gets the ball disposal is so much better than many others

I really do not want to see him placed in defence for long periods, Green and Bruce who were out and out strikers were never the same after enduring defensive and mid field roles continuosly

Jack is a naturally mobile attacking player the more I see of him the more he reminds me of Keith Grieg smart mover who makes space and moves fluidly

I think Greig played as attacking defender at times.

Hope Jack continues his progress and enjoys all the comments from all of us

Watts won some contested football at ground level which was encouraging and his handball was very creative in tight. But there's no getting away from the fact that he doesn't attack the ball in the air - he needed to move forward and jump at the Robinson ball in the 3rd quarter and he needed to fly for the mark in the exact same spot but in the forward line in the last quarter - he had the sit at 180 degress to the direction of the ball where the other 3 players were flew at angles. It's simply just not good enough.

FFS. Stop picking apart 1 awkward moment by a guy who's barely 21 in an otherwise pretty good game from him.

Some of the weakest efforts I've ever seen from 'Land in this thread.

• Like 2

I'm sorry but that 1 moment typifies Watts. We have to face it, and get him off the list sooner rather than later. He has not done much since he has been at the club and don't give me the age cr@p. Many young players put their head over the footy since the first day. Remember Cam Hunter. He weighed about 60kg's but he went in super hard. Lack of weight is no excuse for not going hard.

I'm sorry but that 1 moment typifies Watts. We have to face it, and get him off the list sooner rather than later. He has not done much since he has been at the club and don't give me the age cr@p. Many young players put their head over the footy since the first day. Remember Cam Hunter. He weighed about 60kg's but he went in super hard. Lack of weight is no excuse for not going hard.

Ridiculously ignorant post.

Hang your head in shame for writing this tripe, and if you actually believe it then it's even worse.

• Like 3

Going to get rid of Trengove as well? He's done not much either for a #2 pick. Thank christ selection committees don't visit these forums for advice. Some of you people no doubt are baying for blood if you spend longer than 5 minutes in the queue at McDonalds.

• Like 1

This really is a poor post

Hitting the contest can be learned

For a guy with size, agility, mobility, footskills, footy brain, marking ability, ability to read the play etc etc. you wait for the bulk and confidence to hit the contest

You don't throw away all of his positive attributes because he currently has no confidence to hit a contest

Imagine if St Kilda had done that with Goddard......wouldn't they look like a laughing stock?

"The general feeling at the club from people who play in the same golf club as a few of the players is that Jack is carrying a lot of the load and sheltering others from criticism"

Therein lies the problem at the club, making Watts the main problem week in week out when there much bigger ones out there. Neelds first week at the club he mentioned Watts despite Jack ending the year our best player and having his break out season.

Why not support Jack and get behind him and focus on the real problems in our playing group rather than going with the flow of the media. Why does he get dropped when Sellar and Dunn get chance after chance in our jumper

Neeld and the footy department must weed out all those that Jack Watts is covering thats been the problem

At 21 years of age he has huge potential to improve some areas of his game. He has massive ability already and at 196cm

add another 8 - 12 kg of mass and when he is around 24-25 he will be a brute

FFS. Stop picking apart 1 awkward moment by a guy who's barely 21 in an otherwise pretty good game from him.

Some of the weakest efforts I've ever seen from 'Land in this thread.

They were 2 specific examples of what happens in every game Watts plays. There is a problem and that can be acknowledged or denied - it doesn't really matter what us nuff-nuffs think, what matters is whether Jack acknowledges it because that's the first step to fixing it - hopefully he's got that far. He'll never be a KPF but to realise his potential he has to make a significant improvement in this area. It won't come by osmosis, it has to come by will. There may need to be some catalysing event.

To rehash - nutbean rule number one.

Dont pot players ( especially talls) under 23 years of age. That doesnt mean a player is immune from criticism on what he can improve on - constructive criticism.

But writing off a player of this age is just inane and insane.

To rehash - nutbean rule number one.

Dont pot players ( especially talls) under 23 years of age. That doesnt mean a player is immune from criticism on what he can improve on - constructive criticism.

But writing off a player of this age is just inane and insane.

Except if his name starts with "B"