Demons warned on draft tampering

Exactly, how many lower picks over the last few years have turned out to be the better/best players in the draft? We are talking knows and unknowns here, we know Jack and how good he is and how he can handle senior competition but we have no idea how the other kids will handle the step up.

If you wanted to select the best players in the 2009 draft now you probably would take Martin as number 1 and Scully would probably drop down to between 5 and 10.

With JV we know EXACTLY what we are getting on and off the field.

If that takes a top pick so be it, call it insurance. We need class in the engine room. Soon. No more 5 year waits. Now.

There's also possibility GC lose 4 or less games and get 2nd and 3rd pick this draft.

i don't think gcs or gws should qualify under priority pick rules whilst they still operate under "special rules"

they were always expected to lose games under their policy of going for youth

the afl will probably just do what they want to anyway

So everyone here knows we are going to take him but we are capable of fooling GWS and GC?

They know we are going to take him - if we mention anything about where Viney should go, it is to give GWS and GC some wriggle room when/if they complete this deal with us and don't call out Jack's name at the bidding meeting.

I said: you and I know that they have every intention of getting JV if possible

But if the perfect storm brews (ie we are left with pick 3, JV falls in value to top-15 or so, and GWS/GC start talking about forcing our hand), then we might just back up our tough talk by seriously considering not taking him. That's my opinion anyway.

I agree that a deal, like you say, is another good option. But it won't be explored until the situation arises that required it, and the bluff and bluster option has failed.

i don't think gcs or gws should qualify under priority pick rules whilst they still operate under "special rules" they were always expected to lose games under their policy of going for youth the afl will probably just do what they want to anyway

I have a real problem with this also. GWS had the choice to put a team on the park that would be competitive immediately but instead they went down the youth path to try and punish us all in 5 years or so. The fact they suck hard now by going down this path shouldn't allow them to just fill their boots with more high picks of the priority variety.

• Like 1

I said: you and I know that they have every intention of getting JV if possible

But if the perfect storm brews (ie we are left with pick 3, JV falls in value to top-15 or so, and GWS/GC start talking about forcing our hand), then we might just back up our tough talk by seriously considering not taking him. That's my opinion anyway.

I agree that a deal, like you say, is another good option. But it won't be explored until the situation arises that required it, and the bluff and bluster option has failed.

http://www.afl.com.a...72/default.aspx

The timeline will see the Bidding Process for F/S done the friday before Trade Week starts.

Any deal that keeps the bidding from occuring will happen prior to that Friday - with the deals to be finalised during the Trade Period immediately following.

A deal is the only way to push him to the second round, and it will have to be done before that Friday - concurrently to any misinformation mission or bluffing or subterfuge.

And I will remind all gentle listeners - if we get him in the second round we will be getting more out of it than we would have lost were we forced to take him at 3.

To get Viney plus two top 4 picks due to the alliance of fate and dumb luck is far more of a 'rort' of the 'system' than us having to fork over Pick 3 for Jack Viney.

Not saying I wouldn't work overtime to get that 'rort' - but let's keep some perspective here people.

Edited by rpfc

I have a real problem with this also. GWS had the choice to put a team on the park that would be competitive immediately but instead they went down the youth path to try and punish us all in 5 years or so. The fact they suck hard now by going down this path shouldn't allow them to just fill their boots with more high picks of the priority variety.

it will all depend on the TV ratings in the GC & GW$ regions over the next 6 months....The AFL will do everything to help these 2 ca$h Cow$..

The Fate of the MFC is i believe very low on the Radar...that is why we as a club must fight tooth & nail for every decision that effects us..

The Kangaroos keep on doing it, as much as i despise them...

Our first round compo pick, which will likely fall around #3-5, will be far more critical to our future that pointless discussion about whether we're paying 'overs' for Viney.

Viney is a given, the compo pick is a gift. Yet there's very little discussion of it.

Maurie we want our cake and to eat it!

If there is a way to take JV with our 2nd rounder we should pursue it ruthlessly and leave no stones unturned

I'm sure other (successful) clubs like Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton would

It's a 2 percenter issue

• Like 2

Again, all the club has to do is create enough doubt in the minds of GWS and GC that they might potentially lose their top 2 pick and have to use a just top-10 pick instead. And, now, the club is starting to do that. Thank you, Neeld.

It slid by because everyone knows it's a token effort.

I'm glad he said it because we're playing the game, but it means nothing.

It helps set us to do the a deal with GWS and GC and get away with it because why would we need to tamper when we said weren't necessarily going to take him anayway.

Maurie we want our cake and to eat it! If there is a way to take JV with our 2nd rounder we should pursue it ruthlessly and leave no stones unturned I'm sure other (successful) clubs like Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton would It's a 2 percenter issue

Exactly! All the talk about Viney being a star, he's exactly what we need, our compo picks are a gift etc are totally irrelevant. As you have said we must absolutely do everything in our power to get Viney in the 2nd round. We are a little late to this party though and would've had a much better chance had we just played it cool earlier.

Guest José Mourinho

Our first round compo pick, which will likely fall around #3-5, will be far more critical to our future that pointless discussion about whether we're paying 'overs' for Viney.

Viney is a given, the compo pick is a gift. Yet there's very little discussion of it.

I wouldn't say it's a "gift" as such.

We did get it as compensation for losing a number 1 pick, and someone who was going to be a key building block for the future.

Exactly! All the talk about Viney being a star, he's exactly what we need, our compo picks are a gift etc are totally irrelevant. As you have said we must absolutely do everything in our power to get Viney in the 2nd round. We are a little late to this party though and would've had a much better chance had we just played it cool earlier.

I think in this day and age it's a bit difficult to keep it quiet, there is so much information about and with Todd joining us it was a bit of a give away. Everyone in AFL recruiting will know exactly where they think Jack sits in the overall scheme of the upcoming draft and it will be top 10 at least; I doubt they will be happy to see us pick him up at 23 or so.

Well, that's what we will say.

If we take him with Pick 3 because we are forced to - we will say he is worth that pick.

They are not going to say anything different.

We will say he is worth that pick? as in tell ourselves that to make ourselves feel better if he isnt really worth that pick?

Just like how we told ourselves Scully would stay to make ourselves feel better....

Hear is an Idea, we win 8 games in the second half of THIS season and finish 11th while developing and showing that Jack Viney is a top 3 draft pick.

Then sit back and show the forks to the rest of the AFL as we pick him up with pick 7 or 8 in the Draft.

Cake and eating it.

Fook em

• Like 1

Hear is an Idea, we win 8 games in the second half of THIS season and finish 11th while developing and showing that Jack Viney is a top 3 draft pick. Then sit back and show the forks to the rest of the AFL as we pick him up with pick 7 or 8 in the Draft. Cake and eating it. Fook em

A very good idea..........except for the fact that we suck 9 different types of balls at the moment and wouldn't win 8 games this season if there were 1,000 games left.

An AFL spokesman said yesterday any attempt by Melbourne to reward clubs for overlooking Viney would incur a severe penalty for draft tampering.

buggers our chance at striking a deal.

I have a loophole.

We transfer a player who in our opinion is a spud. Then we can say we're not rewarding anyone but rather penalising whoever does the deal with us. :lol:

Seriously though, if the AFL is concerned with ethics and draft tampering it would have investigated the GWS fully over the poaching of Tom Scully, not to mention the fact that when GWS officials know that Lauchie Whitfield is the #1 choice yet they say they were prepared to nominate Viney to force Melbourne to take him early, that must also be regarded as draft tampering and a penalty should also apply to that.

(but it won't because Vlad runs the joint the way he wants)

We will say he is worth that pick? as in tell ourselves that to make ourselves feel better if he isnt really worth that pick?

Of course, we will.

If Jack is picked up at 3 we will not [censored] and complain - we will laud the talents of our newly minted midfielder and say what a great talent he is and how fortunate we are to be able to have exclusive rights to him.

I have a loophole.

We transfer a player who in our opinion is a spud. Then we can say we're not rewarding anyone but rather penalising whoever does the deal with us. :lol:

Seriously though, if the AFL is concerned with ethics and draft tampering it would have investigated the GWS fully over the poaching of Tom Scully, not to mention the fact that when GWS officials know that Lauchie Whitfield is the #1 choice yet they say they were prepared to nominate Viney to force Melbourne to take him early, that must also be regarded as draft tampering and a penalty should also apply to that.

(but it won't because Vlad runs the joint the way he wants)

I'm wondering if the same warning is applied to the clubs recruiters who visited the AIS boys overseas recently when conducting interviews, who encouraged the likes of GWS and GC to bid so MFC would use first pick. Isn't that manipulation ?

Manipulation in my book is tampering with the Draft process.

Source: Mark Stevens and his talks with recruiters who went OS.

I'm wondering if the same warning is applied to the clubs recruiters who visited the AIS boys overseas recently when conducting interviews, who encouraged the likes of GWS and GC to bid so MFC would use first pick. Isn't that manipulation ?

Source:

So whose the source coz i dont see any worthy source written there

Source: Mark Stevens and his talks with recruiters who went OS.

That's a good point.

MFC Should have TV come out and say, he would doubt his Son would stay any longer than 2 years at any other club than the MFC.

I doubt any club would waste a 1st or 2nd pick on a player for only 2 years.. and even if they did.. Melbourne should let them train him up for 2 years.. and then invite him back to the MFC in 2 years time...

• Like 2

Wasn't Luke Ball and Colllingwood 'tampering with the draft process'?

I'm sick of us getting shafted. RR made the point that we couldn't have matched the GW$ deal for Juda$ - doesn't help when the AFL didn't even let us into the ballpark. Carlton made a deal with Judd, but no, because it's Melbourne the loophole can be closed. Collingwood got away with draft tampering, but oh no, because it's Melbourne they can't do it.

Whose soup did we spit in to get white-anted like this?

Edited by Striker475
  • Like 2