Training Tue 08May

jimcor

Went down to GP at around 10am & stayed for around 90 mins. A couple of observations:

1/- Didn't see Jack Grimes.

2/- Clint Bartram was in a small rehab group with Strauss & Tynan. Bartie was sporting a very fetching white stocking on his left leg. He departed early.

3/- Rivers was doing laps. Seemed to have some strapping on one of his legs. I forget which one.

4/- Apart from the normal drills involving breaking out of the back line and moving the ball quickly downfield for a shot on goal, saw for the first time, a drill where two teams of players (maybe 18 in total) would mill around in the centre until someone blew a whistle and they would spread at breakneck speed and present. The opposition 9 would try and shut the attackers down. Never seen this before (with Dees) on the training track.

5/- There seems to be a genuine sense of pleasure at having LJ back training with the main group. Lots of little taps, bulks & shoves throughout the session. Jimmy Magner in particular was pretty demonstrative.

Can't think of anything else that stood out other than the continuous practicing of passing skills - obviously considered an area for some attention. Nearly forgot Jordie McKenzie spent some time with Mitch Clark practicing his kicking. Mitch was practicing his goal-kicking from all sorts of angles & distances

Thanks for report.

The match reports from last weeks game indicated that Grimes had an injured ankle.

Perhaps he misses this week?

In which case, there may be an opening for Couch?

Any chance you noted whether Tappy was out there jimcor? Thanks for the update though.

Oh, and I'd pretty sure there is an opening for Couch regardless hardtrack. How many games do we have to lose until our most consistent performer in the VFL gets a run?

I'd suggest the drill, was due to the fact that our players constantly lost their opponent at the stoppage defensively, which is why the cats were able to spread and score so easily on the weekend

From the first game this year - too many players being drawn right into the contest - when we did win the contested ball ( and the percentage of ball we win contested vs uncontested is abnormally high) there is no one to give it out to.

Our "good" contested ball winning stat is actually misleading due to the fact we commit so many numbers to winning the contested ball in one area of the ground we leave the rest of it wide open.

• Like 1

Any chance you noted whether Tappy was out there jimcor? Thanks for the update though.

Oh, and I'd pretty sure there is an opening for Couch regardless hardtrack. How many games do we have to lose until our most consistent performer in the VFL gets a run?

Yes, I think so.

Thinking more about JW after seeing him train again, he just seems to really like playing. If he lacks anything, maybe it's intensity and that might not be a bad thing. He may actually realize that enjoyment is an important part of why he picked footy over basketball. It may be that the fact that he's intellectually well-balanced might slow his development down but, what the hell, why not? Players that are more 'driven' might develop more quickly but will they reach he same heights?

Anyway, the longer he's enjoying it, the longer we'll hold onto him.

Thanks for the report.

Great to hear Jurrah is back on the track.

As regards to Jack Watts - you play how you train?

I think you're right. I suspect that it's not yet a matter of life and death for him as yet so we'll probably need to wait for him to get a bit more desperate. Hopefully Neeld & Leigh Brown (and Mick) can communicate that to him. Magner is almost the opposite. He realised that there probably wouldn't be any more chances after this one so career-wise, it is a matter of life and death to him. Good on him.

Thanks for the report very much appreciated from us over here in the west. Grimes was in the SEN studios with KB and Cam Mooney this morning as part of the membership drive.

Also good to hear Neeld this morning speaking positiveley about Jack Watts & LJ. His comments re Wattsy were interesting, he made a point of saying some boys from day 1 of being drafted have the agression and intensity and others take a couple of seasons to get up to this level.

The way he put it across was he believed it would happen.

• Like 1

Interesting. I didn't hear Mick speak but those are my thought's exactly. I'm still surprised that JW & JM were dropped last week but it's obviously a judgement call and the coaches are in the best position to judge.

I think you're right. I suspect that it's not yet a matter of life and death for him as yet so we'll probably need to wait for him to get a bit more desperate. Hopefully Neeld & Leigh Brown (and Mick) can communicate that to him. Magner is almost the opposite. He realised that there probably wouldn't be any more chances after this one so career-wise, it is a matter of life and death to him. Good on him.

Too true - wasn't he overlooked for something like seven drafts??

From the first game this year - too many players being drawn right into the contest - when we did win the contested ball ( and the percentage of ball we win contested vs uncontested is abnormally high) there is no one to give it out to.

Actually that happened a lot last year, I remember commenting after the Hawthorn Debacle that all our players were in the pack and Hawthorn had players waiting outside the pack for the ball to come out, when it did they were off.

some boys from day 1 of being drafted have the agression and intensity and others take a couple of seasons to get up to this level. The way he put it across was he believed it would happen.

Dale Thomas springs to mind. I used to take great delight in yelling out 'Show us ya hard ball gets' whenever Daisy accidentally went near a contest. A different cat now

Dale Thomas springs to mind. I used to take great delight in yelling out 'Show us ya hard ball gets' whenever Daisy accidentally went near a contest. A different cat now

true, but at least he made up for it in other ways

unlike some of our lot

Our "good" contested ball winning stat is actually misleading due to the fact we commit so many numbers to winning the contested ball in one area of the ground we leave the rest of it wide open.

Yes, and no.

You can't win a contested situation unless you get an effective possession and that would involve, for most clubs, getting a handball to a free player. For us it is getting a scrubby kick 30m down the park.

The extra players are 'crowding the ball' but they are not aiding that Demon get a contested possession.

And so it is 'won' by one Demon, but his team mates are right next to him so they are not as effective.

So I am inclined to be happy with the contested possession statistic but I know that the possessions are not nearly as effective or useful as those at other teams.