Player Development

Guest gidon

Guest gidon

Clark is a much better player under Neeld. His output (if it continues) and his influence on games will surpass previous years (by alot) under different coaches. Many ridiculed his value and he is living up to his pay packet. The guy has class.

Morton has been a revelation IMO. his skill level is up. He is out playing other more seasoned midfielders and his attack on the ball and player is up to par. I'm not saying he puts fear into the opposition physically, but he is performing admirably in a midfield that is not feeding him and playing to his strengths.

Jones is performing as an inside midfielder and is kicking goals. I don't see 'dumb' football and decisions any more. In a better team he would be considered a A grader. The guy us playing like a first found draft pick (as he should)

Magner has stepped up into AFL grade seamlessly. The game plan suits him and Neeld knows he will get a contest with him. Putting him on Scarlett is testament to his play.

This gives me hope that player development is on track or improving.

• Like 2

Jones - yes and no. He's been a seasoned decent player for a while now, but is still struggling to shut down an opponent, win his own ball and dominate clearances.

Clark I agree with, but I think its more his development in become a focal point than most other things. He's relishing the opportunity afforded to him. He'd be scary at Freo this year.

Magner - hard to tell. The best player in the VFL usually steps pretty well into AFL. He's been a bit up and down so he's still got gears to get through but we are throwing him round a bit which I think is wise.

Morton is the most intersting one. He's certainly playing with a bit more gusto and looks like the opportunity to move into the centre square isn't scaring him. I still worry about his decision making and skills but it's hard in a team with no flow. I'm cautiously optimistic that if we can become a competitive team that Cale can be a good part of it. However I don't like the chances of us getting there on the back of Morton. He's about 1/4 of the way to being the player he might be able to be. Still lacking in physicality, skill and decision making, but seems to have the attitude at a reasonable level.

Still we've got Blease, Bennell, Tapscott, Sylvia, Petterd and Watts as 6 guys who have the talent to impact AFL who haven't yet. If I had to make progressions for them after last year I'd say they could easily be our starting back and forward flankers capable of being real weapons. For injury or other reasons they all look like good VFL players at the moment.

Edited by the master
  • Like 1

Not convinced with Morton. He's playing better than I thought he might, but still not sure if he's developing well enough to continue to be a factor in our future.

Jones has improved this year. I also feel like we're getting better returns from McKenzie, Garland, Rivers and Howe, than we did last year. So there is some improvement coming through.

It's not that pronounced, though, certainly not what I think we could legitimately have expected. And there are plenty of players who haven't improved, or gone backwards.

Guest gidon

Morton IMO has shown a liking for the contested ball that I have never seen. It seems more natural this yr. Maybe the new conditioning staff and PT has had an impact.

Dunn and Bate's game has-improved too. The younger guys seem to have gone backwards, but the physical contested ball game is not a game that comes natural with junior football or under Bailey. They are learning and I'm hoping the few examples I've given is what we will expect to come from the young ones in future.

• Like 1

Magner has stepped up into AFL grade seamlessly. The game plan suits him and Neeld knows he will get a contest with him. Putting him on Scarlett is testament to his play.

Agree with much of what you say, although I see Development more from a Misson building bodies into AFL ready bodies more than positional stuff...

Also, not sure what are referring to here with Magner. You may be confusing him with Sellar, who played a negative role on Scarlett (and never looked like being hitting the scoreboard).

Guest gidon

Agree with much of what you say, although I see Development more from a Misson building bodies into AFL ready bodies more than positional stuff...

Also, not sure what are referring to here with Magner. You may be confusing him with Sellar, who played a negative role on Scarlett (and never looked like being hitting the scoreboard).

No Magner went forward and played on Scarlett in the last 1/4

No Magner went forward and played on Scarlett in the last 1/4

And acquitted himself well mind you. At one stage in the commentary Malthouse destroyed Scarlett and pretty much called him lazy and pushed towards the fact that his decision to let him go was arrogant. Magner is a very hard worker but needs a rest soon. Tom Couch step up to the big league!

i find the role Neeld is playing Howe in very interesting. Obviously the reports from the pre season are spot on that he had a super one, and i think he may end up playing as a high half forward or wing in future years. I have really impressed with him and his decision making

i find the role Neeld is playing Howe in very interesting. Obviously the reports from the pre season are spot on that he had a super one, and i think he may end up playing as a high half forward or wing in future years. I have really impressed with him and his decision making

Nothing wrong with Jeremy Howe. He will make it.

Leaping Lord Howe is aerial class and superb in delivery .

Very good footballer.

RR Mark2

Nothing wrong with Jeremy Howe. He will make it.

He needs to learn how to kick for goal though. A very ordinary set shot for goal at best.

• Like 1

The fitter our players become the better they will be.

many of them are coming from a very low fitness base that its going to take time to get them up. it takes more than a few months!!

The players that were fitter than the others when Neeld and Co took over are improving in leaps and bounds as the season moves on ala Jones, Clark ,Frawley!!

Quite sure we will have a more successful back half to the season.

• Like 2

I would play him further up the ground.

I can see the thinking, but he doesn't know when to stay down. He's always up and you can't have a player like that doing it up the ground. It leaves you right open.

The fitter our players become the better they will be.

many of them are coming from a very low fitness base that its going to take time to get them up. it takes more than a few months!!

The players that were fitter than the others when Neeld and Co took over  are improving in leaps and bounds as the season moves on ala Jones, Clark ,Frawley!!

Quite sure we will have a more successful back half to the season.

Thereis absolutely no excuse for Mitch Clake to be doing all the running in the forwards Where are the Silvia and Davey desire to hold the ball in the forward line. Both had completely no impact and the Geelong players easily reboudedI was at the Stadium with an overall view of the game and our forward pressure was non existent except for Clarke Pathetic defensive effort I wouldnt play either Davey or Silvia

• Like 1