Davey a chance for recall

nutbean

They are the worst because they say things like "never seeing Davey in a Melbourne jumper again"... They say these things knowing full well a week from now we will all complain about our side looking slow and having no players who can deliver the ball by foot wah wah wah.

I didn't rate him in his B&F year, so I'm hardly going to rate him now. I rate everyone on their ability to stand up against the best in a final, for this reason alone Davey is deadwood, because he won't. Finals seem so far away to some supporters, and they probably are, but build a team of players capable of putting their head over it.

Btw, someone else in this thread said I'd "consign" Davey to "never being in a Melb jumper again". I didn't, I said "I'd be happy if I never saw him in one again". There's a difference.

His supercoach output is interesting:

2005 - 22 games - average 81.4

2006 - 20 - 86.4

2007 - 18 - 81.4

2008 - 15 - 79.5

2009 - 22 - 95.6

2010 - 20 - 79.2

2011 - 11 - 68.3

2012 - 1 - 57.0

I have a theory too. What year did he sign his 4 yr deal??

5 kids-the guy needs a good nights sleep before a game .

By your own admission he was taken to Perth to avoid the media circus but was effectively dropped to emergency. Given there was a "training" session after the game there was no intention to play him there. Even blind Freddie (and you) could see he made the Perth trip under unusual circumstances. I can easily see your reason why he could be at Casey and on emotion alone I would like him there.

But hell, we are sitting poorly at 0-2. We have a game against Richmond who are also 0-2. Its critical that we make every effort to extract a win. We need to play our best side and that side will need someone who can crumb the packs up forward. Given the failure of Blease and Bennett, regretfully its Davey. We then have a draw of games over the next 8 weeks where we are going to find it harder to win. If we dont win on Saturday I can easily see us on form to date being 0-11. We must do everything in our power to notch up 4 points this week.

Given the season to date and given the importance of trying to get some points on the Board, I think there is an important judgement call to be made. The upside is that Davey does actually right the wrongs and he is a value add. The alternative is to put him at Casey and we have no FP crumber. Given his one of the highest paid players we should be seeking every way to turn him around and the Club extract some value.

If we lose this week and Davey and other poor performing senior players continue the poor form then its Casey they go.

I agree with all of your above. Every bit of it. But the same scenario was a given in Round one against an ordinary side.

I still say he is better off regaining touch with Casey.

Aaron would know the club is backing him.

It's crucial this young list learns now that a senior berth must be earnt the hard way by all.

I didn't rate him in his B&F year, so I'm hardly going to rate him now. I rate everyone on their ability to stand up against the best in a final, for this reason alone Davey is deadwood, because he won't. Finals seem so far away to some supporters, and they probably are, but build a team of players capable of putting their head over it.

Btw, someone else in this thread said I'd "consign" Davey to "never being in a Melb jumper again". I didn't, I said "I'd be happy if I never saw him in one again". There's a difference.

You didn't rate him in his B&F year? Ok you are more than entitled to your opinion.

This thought that every player on an AFL team has to be this suicidal dive at the contest, stand up in finals etc thing is so ridiculous and overdone.

All you have to do to be valuable in finals and a premiership team is to fit in within the gameplan and play your role.

Steven Armstrong played finals for West Coast and kicked goals in the grand final. Steven Armstrong....

So get off Davey's back and stop acting like suddenly we all know what it takes to be a premiership team.

Every single team is filled with different types of personalities and game styles. If he fills his role then he is a finals player, he doesn't need to "stand up", he just needs to play...

And if our current dodgey team needs a player who can actually deliver the ball by foot and snag a goal then that is probably why we should play him.

Or maybe I should just be like every other MFC supporter and say we could play a kid? Woo hoo a kid!! Get these senior players away from the kids!! won't somebody please think of the children!! Bad senior players are better than no senior players.

All you have to do to be valuable in finals and a premiership team is to fit in within the gameplan and play your role.

Steven Armstrong played finals for West Coast and kicked goals in the grand final. Steven Armstrong....

But that's my point. I don't believe he'd be valuable in a final, or even contribute. You may as well play with 21 men.

Look, I've argued about Davey in forums for years. I argued years ago that his third place in a B&F wasn't warranted. In fact, it offended me. All of these years later I feel vindicated - unfortunately. You keep your opinion of the guy and I'll keep mine. He's a waste of space. And I'm wasting energy even discussing him.

I've flip flopped enough - the answer to your question is at this stage we dont have anyone - Davey is not that sort of footballer anyway - he uses his speed and silky skills or at least used to. Until he starts playing with some conviction then happy to see him at Casey and go withmid sizes forwards in theabsense ofa crumber.

If we continue to allow players to play half hearted with no repercusssions then we will continue to get the same.

I would prefer couch in the forward pocket who I am sure is not naturally suited to the position but will have a real dip as that is his strength.

I dont want to play Davey just because he has the most potential in the position even though he hasnt given a yelp for 18 months. I would prefer to paly someone out of position if need be that at least has shown some effort. Does that make sense ?

Edit -if he shows something either at Casey or in the first i will be first to applaud - i just dont think Aaron is earning a game

But hell, we are sitting poorly at 0-2. We have a game against Richmond who are also 0-2. Its critical that we make every effort to extract a win. We need to play our best side and that side will need someone who can crumb the packs up forward. Given the failure of Blease and Bennett, regretfully its Davey. We then have a draw of games over the next 8 weeks where we are going to find it harder to win. If we dont win on Saturday I can easily see us on form to date being 0-11. We must do everything in our power to notch up 4 points this week.

Given the season to date and given the importance of trying to get some points on the Board, I think there is an important judgement call to be made. The upside is that Davey does actually right the wrongs and he is a value add. The alternative is to put him at Casey and we have no FP crumber. Given his one of the highest paid players we should be seeking every way to turn him around and the Club extract some value.

If we lose this week and Davey and other poor performing senior players continue the poor form then its Casey they go.

I totally agree with this. Play him in the forward line for the entire game. His only KPI being - effect 10 tackles in our forward 50.

If he does that, he will also kick at least 3 goals. But it's essentially forward line pressure I would like to see from Davey.

In short, I want to see a pre-Bailey Davey.

I totally agree with this. Play him in the forward line for the entire game. His only KPI being - effect 10 tackles in our forward 50.

If he does that, he will also kick at least 3 goals. But it's essentially forward line pressure I would like to see from Davey.

In short, I want to see a pre-Bailey Davey.

If he just has to lay tackles then he is 2nd to the ball. We need more from him as FP crumber. He needs to win the ball in the FWD line if we are going to bomb it long to Clark. And if he is not doing that and is giving us more of the recent same then I would sub him quickly. Its a pity we dont have better options for this important role.

And he won the Bluey in 2009 under Bailey. Its got nothing to do with Bailey.

I for one am glad to see Aaron back after the last weeks shemozzle.

Common Aaron, show us you still have the love & passion for the club. That it isn't all about you.

I know you can still play, if your heart is in it. Show us, show all of us, even us that have lost a bit of Faith in you over the last year & a bit.

You've still got it in you, if you want it.

We need you to decide this year if you want to stay & play like a Demon, or if you want to go elsewhere.

The ball, is in your domain.

i am suprised at this, but there you go...I daresay Aaron has been given a lifeline knowing he is under the spotlight, and knowing where Green has been sent.

Prove me wrong Aaron and kick some goals...Good luck, the club is looking after you....

It is up to you Flash.

i am suprised at this, but there you go...I daresay Aaron has been given a lifeline knowing he is under the spotlight, and knowing where Green has been sent.

Prove me wrong Aaron and kick some goals...Good luck, the club is looking after you....

It is up to you Flash.

Yes I think it is now put up or off to Casey time this weekend.

Hope he plays a blinder.

5 kids-the guy needs a good nights sleep before a game .

So, you "treat him differently" because........he has 5 kids?

Yes I think it is now put up or off to Casey time this weekend.

Hope he plays a blinder.

Yes... hopefully seeing Green sent to Casey will put a much needed rocket up Davey.

I really hope he can play a good game, but I'm not holding my breath. Show some hunger and desire, Aaron...please!

Show some hunger and desire, [insert 15 players that are playing on the weekend here]...please!

• Like 1

Maybe the club decided after his week from hell his mind wasn't right to play with anyone last week (my preferred theory, by the way). Maybe he's over his physical and mental problems and now has his mind and his body right so he's ready to play. At least, I hope so.

Spot on i reckon. Denham and KB were having a shot at the dees fro picking him this week after not playing him at Casey last week (with Denham suggesting it is further evidence of the chaos at MFC), Bolloocks, and to me shows a distinct lack of sophisticated or nuanced understanding of how a club operates.

As noted by LDC he simply wasn't right to play. If conditioning was an issue one session, however intense, aint going to fix that. They no doubt took him to Perth to support him in the team environment, get him away from Melbourne and the spotlight and get his head straight for the tiges. Smart man management i reckon, which should be applauded not derided.

Lets hope it pays off in spades and AD plays a blinder. I feel strangely confident about the game this week. Perhaps all the drama of the last few weeks will bring the team and FD together and actually end up being a blessing in disguise.

Edited by binman

Spot on i reckon. Denham and KB were having a shot at the dees fro picking him this week after not playing him at Casey last week (with Denham suggesting it is further evidence of the chaos at MFC), Bolloocks, and to me shows a distinct lack of sophisticated or nuanced understanding of how a club operates.

Yep... I think it was on AFL360 last night they were saying (can't recall which one) that his head was so messed up from the events of last week, that he was in no state to play at all. This does show good management and, I think, shows that Neeld is not really the hard ass that everyone makes him out to be... he does have some compassion about him, which is good to see.