EnergyWatch Sponsorship Cancelled

Dr. Mubutu

Some of the power company are refuseing deal with Energy Watch as well.

Yeah, and some are equivocating...

Apparently AGL deal with...

"Energy Watch the company and not with Mr Polis in his personal capacity."

What a principled stance...

Edited by rpfc

It was the only decision in the end, really solid presser from Cam Schwab today. Totally rapt and proud to be a demon.

Gonna have to pick up some gaffa tape for my now even more limited edition Reach guernsey.

Last night I was wondering what would be next for us. This morning I laughed because it just feels like this is all a joke. Why are we being battered from pillar to post?!?

What do I do with the new guernseys I bought my father and I? They have massive Energy Watch logos on the back and they have turned from treasured possesions into something I am disgusted with.

I hope I won't just be shot down... but can someone explain to me.

Energy Watch is a company. It's CEO and co-owner was Polis, but it is much more than 1 person. It will continue to function and be the same business now that Polis is out of the picture.

If energy watch sacks him as CEO (already done) and distances itself from him, then why couldn't the club have kept the sponsorship with Energy Watch.

Surely a company is bigger than one employee! Why throw away $6m, when we're in such a precarious position, when we could keep it and just distance ourselves from the one disgusting human being

We can take their cash (make them perform the contract) and remove them as the sponsor .

No court in the land will stop us given the circs .

Just posted in the other thread, maybe we should merge this thread with Mifsud one.

The timing of this is unbelievable, seriously, not believable. Those posts date back an eternity and the story is released just when Vlad needs us to bend over and take one for him.

Who was the journo that first broke this story? I want to write to the HS demanding to know at least if the source for this story came from within the AFL. It would help if they thought I read that rag so I need to know.

Just posted in the other thread, maybe we should merge this thread with Mifsud one.

The timing of this is unbelievable, seriously, not believable. Those posts date back an eternity and the story is released just when Vlad needs us to bend over and take one for him.

Who was the journo that first broke this story? I want to write to the HS demanding to know at least if the source for this story came from within the AFL. It would help if they thought I read that rag so I need to know.

Furious-yesterday you said you were withdrawing your financial support-your faith has been tested.But your back .Why?

Because all this sh!tstorm is temporary bu this great club will wlak tall through all this .

This is the storm before the calm .

Guest Thomo

What do I do with the new guernseys I bought my father and I? They have massive Energy Watch logos on the back and they have turned from treasured possesions into something I am disgusted with.

I've got the same problem. First new jumper I've had in 16 years! I kept wearing the old one for sentimental reasons, but decided to retire it and get a new one in honour of Jimmy, then this. The club is not Collingwood or Essendon who could replace jumpers free of charge, Melbourne are struggling for cash, and it is best spent elsewhere. Looks like mine will go into a box in the garage, and the old Tooheys one will continue to get a run.

Perhaps we should play skins vs shirts for the rest of the year. I can see a few benefits:

1. 'Free' jumpers for all supporters

2. No cost to the club in removing the sponsors logo (and cleaning costs)

3. After last week most of the players don't deserver to wear the red and blue.

Furious-yesterday you said you were withdrawing your financial support-your faith has been tested.But your back .Why?

Because all this sh!tstorm is temporary bu this great club will wlak tall through all this .

This is the storm before the calm .

Maybe you should go back an re-read my post Biffen. I said if the club didn't pursue this mess and demand answers, as some posters suggested, I would withdraw my financial support.

Thankfully this great club has demanded answers but the weasel Mifsud has slinked off to have some "me" time while Aaron is left with his reputation in tatters. Then today just when Vlad could really use the old subservient, broke Melbourne football club, a story is released that ends our major sponsorship deal, for things that have been in the public domain since 2010.

We are under attack Biffen, and some on here have been advocating accepting the "apology"and moving on, the apology that threw Aaron under a bus. No Way! If we do that we end up the AFL's slave for ever and I couldn't support that.

Thomo, we get it. You're not happy. Some of us are trying to help, you're just carrying like the drunk uncle at Christmas.

Or the better man (from the wedding singer)

Maybe you should go back an re-read my post Biffen. I said if the club didn't pursue this mess and demand answers, as some posters suggested, I would withdraw my financial support.

Thankfully this great club has demanded answers but the weasel Mifsud has slinked off to have some "me" time while Aaron is left with his reputation in tatters. Then today just when Vlad could really use the old subservient, broke Melbourne football club, a story is released that ends our major sponsorship deal, for things that have been in the public domain since 2010.

We are under attack Biffen, and some on here have been advocating accepting the "apology"and moving on, the apology that threw Aaron under a bus. No Way! If we do that we end up the AFL's slave for ever and I couldn't support that.

Damn right we are under attack .

You dont get to a job like CEO of the AFL unless you are a sneak and a master of the red flag .

The fat Greek boy is teetering on the brink .

He has handled this badly .

We need to find out who released the info on the idiot from energy watch .

Reckon there will be a few staff members at all clubs burning the midnight oil tonight checking all their sponsors face pages, twitter accounts etc

Could be a worthwhile exercise

Damn right we are under attack .

You dont get to a job like CEO of the AFL unless you are a sneak and a master of the red flag .

The fat Greek boy is teetering on the brink .

He has handled this badly .

We need to find out who released the info on the idiot from energy watch .

Hey Biffo, was apparently a guy called Ben Polis. Leaked it all over the f***ing web B)

Edited by daisycutter

Am I too cynical for thinking that we have had a better sponsorship offer in the wind that is for the front and back, so we needed to find an 'easy' way to get rid of Energy Watch? Probably not the case given the 'damage' the issue has caused the club but the thought did cross my mind.

Edited by Clintosaurus

Reckon there will be a few staff members at all clubs burning the midnight oil tonight checking all their sponsors face pages, twitter accounts etc

Hey Biffo, was apparently a guy called Ben Polis. Leaked it all over the f***ing web B)

True enough-but the timing of the release intrigues me.

Those posts date back a loooooong way DC. Do you really think the timing of them finding their way onto the front page is just a coincidence?

Who has something to gain? If we're broke we can't afford to fight the AFL.

What is Gutnick up to these days?

Getting ready for passover and cancelling his Energywatch accounts.

• Like 3

Those posts date back a loooooong way DC. Do you really think the timing of them finding their way onto the front page is just a coincidence?

Who has something to gain? If we're broke we can't afford to fight the AFL.

yeah I know, was only kidding biffo

it was reported mfc board discussing it last night i.e. before the press splashed it this morning

maybe someone tipped off mfc who then spoke out

but i'm only guessing, got no real idea

CS said the first they heard of it was yesterday

I've got the same problem. First new jumper I've had in 16 years! I kept wearing the old one for sentimental reasons, but decided to retire it and get a new one in honour of Jimmy, then this. The club is not Collingwood or Essendon who could replace jumpers free of charge, Melbourne are struggling for cash, and it is best spent elsewhere. Looks like mine will go into a box in the garage, and the old Tooheys one will continue to get a run.

For the moment, black duct tape will do for mine. I'm going to the club once a new sponsor is sorted and see if they can maybe sort out an iron-on to go over the top. A similar thing was done for Newcastle in the Premier League - sponsor changed mid-season, and the club provided a cover-over with the new sponsor for those supporters who wanted to go and grab one. You just had to present your season shirt with the old sponsor at the club shop. Wouldn't be overly expensive (I doubt they've sold huge numbers of jumpers to this point) and gets EW off it.

Either way I'm holding onto it. It's my #11 Reach jumper. I do give a toss about the EnergyWatch on the back, but ultimately in a year they'll be out of business. However, Reach and Jim will be forever in our memories. That's why I bought the jumper and I'll be sure as hell keeping it.

Edited by Striker475

If CS was negotiating with more than one party for the FOJ sponsor it allows him to offer more options and get two parties on board or maybe even three. The options certainly have broadened now! :blink:

Dreaming. Schwab cannot get one on the front of the jumper, and you think he might have three lining up??? The last three major sponsors have landed in our lap in spite of the current administration, and for various reasons none of them are still here. I know some people try and be glass half full, but this is ridiculous

Then you have no idea about how sponsorship negotiations work. Just because big companies have big sponsorship budgets it doesn't mean they don't try and get value for money. I'm sure there is a list of willing participants/offers that CS has had to turn down because the offer was simply a lowball opportunistic bid. This current situation now opens the doors for re-negotiation. Far from ridiculous Thomo... :wacko:

I can almost guarantee I have been involved with more sponsorship negotiations than you.

Keyboard hero....

If you were that experienced then you certainly wouldn't disagree with the rest of my post.

BTW can you elaborate on your almost guarantee comment?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/132360/default.aspx

For someone who can almost guarantee they have been in more sponsorship negotiations than other Demonlanders you got this one awfully wrong thomo....

Melbourne CEO Cameron Schwab said while possible new sponsors had come forward the loss of EnergyWatch's sponsorship was a financial blow.

"Like most organisations you have contingencies built into your financial situation, it will be a blow, we understand that but it's the price we pay to maintain our integrity," he said at a packed news conference on Thursday.

"We've had a number of phone calls."

For the moment, black duct tape will do for mine. I'm going to the club once a new sponsor is sorted and see if they can maybe sort out an iron-on to go over the top. A similar thing was done for Newcastle in the Premier League - sponsor changed mid-season, and the club provided a cover-over with the new sponsor for those supporters who wanted to go and grab one. You just had to present your season shirt with the old sponsor at the club shop. Wouldn't be overly expensive (I doubt they've sold huge numbers of jumpers to this point) and gets EW off it.

Either way I'm holding onto it. It's my #11 Reach jumper. I do give a toss about the EnergyWatch on the back, but ultimately in a year they'll be out of business. However, Reach and Jim will be forever in our memories. That's why I bought the jumper and I'll be sure as hell keeping it.

Spot on.

It will no doubt happen and more than likely the new sponsors will cover the costs too as some supporters will also put them on older jumpers and other demons clothing. It would be a very cheap way for the sponsors to get their names splashed everywhere.

True enough-but the timing of the release intrigues me.

I agree this stinks. Wasn't it Paul Tatnell from the HS that 'broke it'.???

25 yo chief of staff from sydney found out a way to fast track up the ladder...

Another voice of the AFL...