• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Season Prediction

mrtwister

Dee's ladder placing 2012  

232 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have gone for 12th but I think 10th - 12th is realistic.

It is hard to gauge though, had a very mixed pre-season and Sylvia and Jurrah not playing first month+ hurts.

First 5 games are important, would hope to be around 3-2 or 4-1 (best case scenario).

• Like 1

I've gone 10th but don't see a lot of difference in finishing 7th to 13th, all depends on how many games we win against those also vying for those spots, Tigers, North, Swans, Crows, Saints, Freo, Doggies

• Like 1

The old leaders just can't do it....Mark Jamar was superb....45 hit outs, But Sylvia got one kick??? Now i want Colin to make a full recovery but i question whether he Really wants to play at AFL level??

Don't know where you pulled that stat from - http://live.fanfooty.com.au/game/matchstats.html?id=3938

Agree though WYL, the young leaders certainly have to 'step up' if we're to see any real positive changes.

Guest Jackie

Though it is only preseason I have a few doubts about the pressing style of game. Is looking a bit tired as clubs using slick ball movement are starting to master it. Slick ball movement has been an alien concept for us for many years so we are stuck with the press I guess for now. Whether Neeld can bring the press up to a new level of effectiveness remains to be seen. Will be a hard task with the current callow playing group.

During early preseason everything looked like going to plan until the Jurrah incident. I imagine the club will be loathe to admit it but it certainly must have been a distraction to preperation. No none can deny that over the past couple of weeks we looked like our worst of last season.

The biggest challege for Neeld IMO is to build up enough confidence and focus in the playing group. There are some players that seem reluctant to embrace his will. Every stutter and splutter still seems to drag us back and old habits appear.

Still I think if we play at our best and with better luck we are capable of 6-8th spot.

Edited by Jackie

I have to say I'm rather surprised (or maybe not) that only 13 voters believe we will finish in the 8 while 49 believe we will finish outside it. I have opted for 7th simply based on the fact that we are a much better side than last year when we were very close to making the 8 despite the finishing position and the loss that must not be mentioned.

We are better than last year individually, But that won't Equate into more wins. Because we are learning a foreign language, > inconstancy. Better defence bit struggle to score.

I think we'll take all of the first 11 games working out who to select & the players will be slow to work out when & how to attack or defend at the right time. I think we'll be in front at times, but then turnover the pill & hand the lead back.

We are better than last year individually, But that won't Equate into more wins. Because we are learning a foreign language, > inconstancy. Better defence bit struggle to score.

I think we'll take all of the first 11 games working out who to select & the players will be slow to work out when & how to attack or defend at the right time. I think we'll be in front at times, but then turnover the pill & hand the lead back.

Possibly right, but I would contend that of all pre-season games, the game against the Pies was the most indicative of where we are at, due to the balance we had in the backs and the forwards. We struggled without the run of Grimes off the backline and without the pairing of Clark and Watts up forward. There's a good chance I am entirely wrong, but I have the feeling that we will be a lot better than people are giving credit for off the back of a couple of bad NAB Cup performances.

Though it is only preseason I have a few doubts about the pressing style of game. Is looking a bit tired as clubs using slick ball movement are starting to master it. Slick ball movement has been an alien concept for us for many years so we are stuck with the press I guess for now. Whether Neeld can bring the press up to a new level of effectiveness remains to be seen. Will be a hard task with the current callow playing group.

During early preseason everything looked like going to plan until the Jurrah incident. I imagine the club will be loathe to admit it but it certainly must have been a distraction to preperation. No none can deny that over the past couple of weeks we looked like our worst of last season.

The biggest challege for Neeld IMO is to build up enough confidence and focus in the playing group. There are some players that seem reluctant to embrace his will. Every stutter and splutter still seems to drag us back and old habits appear.

Still I think if we play at our best and with better luck we are capable of 6-8th spot.

But either way Jackie, As we learn, It's a far better thing to learn to be a Contested footy side winning plenty of Hard Ball,,, as against a free range side who can only run free. Looks exciting for 5 minutes a game but gets pantsed 95 % of the time...

From being a learned press style team, it would be easier to adapt a more attacking gamestyle, as an add on App, after we learn to Defend & to Win the hard Footy.

Possibly right, but I would contend that of all pre-season games, the game against the Pies was the most indicative of where we are at, due to the balance we had in the backs and the forwards. We struggled without the run of Grimes off the backline and without the pairing of Clark and Watts up forward. There's a good chance I am entirely wrong, but I have the feeling that we will be a lot better than people are giving credit for off the back of a couple of bad NAB Cup performances.

No, I think your on the right track, but from my perspective, as we try learn to adapt the new style, we will be less fluent & slower, cautious/apprehensive in our thinking, as we try to 'Think our Way thru' the new game style... Remember collectively as a team we are still very fragile confidence wise, & this will be harder to adjust to.

A bit like Bambi, all gangly as we struggle to grow into what we are or aspire to be... Unfortunately this is the Law of Nature. And we are humans, part of nature & that Law.

I agree we have a better individuals & personnel, but I think were going to struggle delivering the ball well thru the middle. This in turn could make it more difficult & frustrating for our Forwards. But it will be Enjoyable watching.

Edited by dee-luded

Don't know where you pulled that stat from - http://live.fanfooty.com.au/game/matchstats.html?id=3938

Agree though WYL, the young leaders certainly have to 'step up' if we're to see any real positive changes.

Colin got 7 kicks...well i apologize. I was listening to 5AA so anything is possible. According to them he had 1 kick & 1 handball. I was working so i may have missed bits. Sorry Col. Get well. Don't move today. Dead still.

I've done a 2012 Ladder & Finals Predictor for the first 5 Rnds...

This is how I see the ladder shaping, something like this after 5 games.

1. Hawthorn

2. St. Kilda

3. Sydney

4. Collingwood

5. West Coast

6. Fremantle

7. Carlton

8. Gold Coast

9. North

10. Western Bulldogs

11. Melbourne

12. Brisbane

13. Adelaide

14. Geelong

15. Essendon

16. Richmond

17. Port Adelaide

18. GWS

Remember this is only my thoughts @ 5 Rnds in...

http://www.afl.com.au/bailey%20ladder%20predictor/tabid/13046/default.aspx

Edited by dee-luded

I've gone 10th but don't see a lot of difference in finishing 7th to 13th, all depends on how many games we win against those also vying for those spots, Tigers, North, Swans, Crows, Saints, Freo, Doggies

You may well be correct. A lot will depend on the outcome of some games, the opponnents im not sure. Results of , Im thinking , at least half a dozen will swing on a kick . This will deliver varying ladder positions accordingly. The reality is its rather moot. Until we take that step up as a TEAM, not just a handful of indivduals then better sides will always best us..

We're on a steep learning curve.....and we're only just moving off the start position.!!!

The Honeymoon is over

I've done a 2012 Ladder & Finals Predictor for the first 5 Rnds... This is how I see the ladder shaping, something like this after 5 games.

1. Hawthorn

2. St. Kilda

3. Sydney

4. Collingwood

5. West Coast

6. Fremantle

7. Carlton

8. Gold Coast

9. North

10. Western Bulldogs

11. Melbourne

12. Brisbane

13. Adelaide

14. Geelong

15. Essendon

16. Richmond

17. Port Adelaide

18. GWS

Remember this is only my thoughts @ 5 Rnds in...

http://www.afl.com.a...46/default.aspx

melb ahead of geelong, see things aren't all that bad! haha

Colin got 7 kicks...well i apologize. I was listening to 5AA so anything is possible. According to them he had 1 kick & 1 handball. I was working so i may have missed bits. Sorry Col. Get well. Don't move today. Dead still.

Don't apologize! Either way he clearly wasn't having any impact on the game and he is exactly the experienced type of player that need to fire if we're to see any improvement on last year

Don't apologize! Either way he clearly wasn't having any impact on the game and he is exactly the experienced type of player that need to fire if we're to see any improvement on last year

Unfortunately Jb we can forget him for probably 2 months, so end of May.

That makes his contribution for 2012 look poor.

Last year at the Dees????

Unfortunately Jb we can forget him for probably 2 months, so end of May.

That makes his contribution for 2012 look poor.

Last year at the Dees????

Since when has six weeks equated to two months?

Or did they mean rounds when they said weeks?

Edited by Bluelegs

Never Bl

but I am going on the fact that FD's always give optimistic figures when the give the time a player is out.

If the MFC say 6 weeks I asume it is more likely 8.

Seems to me that this injury is a bit worse than they are admitting.

The last thing they need to be saying at the MFC at present is that Sylvia is out for two months.

The injury list is getting longer, Pre season performance poor, no FOJ sponsor yet, Membership sales etc have stalled.

IMO minimise the bad news if possible.

So he is out for 4 - 6 weeks

or since when do you ever rush a back/spinal injury back to playing ?? You dont...its softly softly , carefully carefuuly or risk much worse

Am inclined to side with those suggesting 2 months and have a sneaking suspicion a whiles longer before at full tilt.

Colin= new 4-6....as they say !! and we all know what that invariably means

Interesting results from the pole so far.

39% think we will finish 12th or lower

51% think we will finish 11th or lower

and 68% ( over two thirds ) think we will finish 10th or lower

Not a lot of enthusiasm there or are we all being realistic?

• Like 1

As I stated previously by myself & BB59, games involving ourselves, Tiges, North, Crows, Saints, Dogs, Freo & Swans will play play a big part in showing where all of these teams finish from 6th to 14th, I dare say a mojority of these games will rely on performance on the day weather injuries and so many variables. Case of wit and see really for many of us

• Like 1

14th.

Bang!

Edited by Cudi_420