James Sellar

furious d

Definately a surprise selection on draft day, there's been a bit of speculation about what role James will play.

A great discussion in one of the training report threads between AoB and rpfc and a few others had him pegged in for the backline but there were differences over what role he might play. If one of the mods could be bothered it would be a great addition to this thread.

I was interested to see this article this morning.

''What James Sellar brings is someone who … he's six foot four, he's 23 years of age and is a ready-made player who can play at either end of the ground, which is really what our list requires at the moment, someone who can come in and do that,'' Neeld said. ''And we've been really clear with James in the conversations that he'll play at either end of the ground, depending on what that week serves up.''

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/watts-moving-forward-in-demons-reshuffle-20120209-1rwvw.html#ixzz1lvU88LXl

So Sellar will be a swingman apparently. I thought he'd be more likely to succeed for us if we settled him into one well defined role, like a Zac Dawson as AoB proposed.

All will be revealed in a couple of weeks and I can't wait. Good luck to James, it will definately be a win for us if he can cement himself in the 22.

For me, this sounds like Neeld is walking back expectations on Sellar.

If he is to end up somewhere consistently, it will be in the back line. Playing where in the setup? Well, I have said my piece on that but if he is a 'swingman' then it lends itself to Frawley staying as our number one back for 2012.

Perish the thought of Watts /Clarke going down .

I need to be convinced this guy has it.

he was dumped by Adelaide, not a good look.

We will know by round 22 but right now I do not expect a lot.

Would be very interesting to hear what Neil Craig & Todd Viney have to say on James Sellar. Many an ordinary player hath become good.

Leigh Brown can tell James that himself. 3 years ago he was a very ordinary VFL player on the outer.

I suspect that Sellar will surprise quite a few. His personal problems are now behind him (which obviously Craig knew - and he had left the club before Sellar was delisted) and he can start enjoying his footy again without the weight of too much expectation on him.

I feel he may thrive with the demons.

We'll see whats inside Sellar. Is it Grange or is it plonk.

Would be very interesting to hear what Neil Craig & Todd Viney have to say on James Sellar. Many an ordinary player hath become good.

Leigh Brown can tell James that himself. 3 years ago he was a very ordinary VFL player on the outer.

Well they will know just what he has to offer, hidden somewhere the last few years, and Craig in particular presumably knows why he couldn't cut it at the Crows.

I would be extraordinarily surprised if Craig were to pull this one out of the hat, risking his own reputation in what is really one of his first acts at a new club, unless he was pretty damn certain that the "issues" we're well and truly buried, confined to the cellar.

• Like 1

Well with Warnock gone we needed to recruit a similar type so Sellar was the option

Suprise selection but there was not a lot on offfer with the high draft picks we had

Warnock really struggled to get into our best 22 yet he seemed to be in the best players each week at Casey

I think Sellar is far more mobile than Warnock so that is a plus

Will be one player to watch with interest

Sellar at least knows he has been given an opportunity and sometimes that is all it needs

Will be really stoked if he does well

It is really important that our back 6 remains maintenance free if we are to be a top 8 side

• 2 months later...

I thought he did what Neeld would have asked of last night...

He created a contest and brought the ball to ground every time it was kicked to him.

That would have been his simple instructions.

I don't think he would have been expected to win the game himself, but in wet weather footy where you basically kick it long to the forwards Sellar would have been asked to bring the small crumbing players into the game. Which by the way, i thought Jones was excellent at this early in the game.

I'd prefer to see Martin out there instead of Sellar to be honest.. Really struggling to make an impact

He is needed to play on the Clokes of this world...no-one else has the strength,

He did what was asked of him - as a fill in.

Unlikely to ever be a regular top 22.

I thought he did what Neeld would have asked of last night...

He created a contest and brought the ball to ground every time it was kicked to him.

That would have been his simple instructions.

I don't think he would have been expected to win the game himself, but in wet weather footy where you basically kick it long to the forwards Sellar would have been asked to bring the small crumbing players into the game. Which by the way, i thought Jones was excellent at this early in the game.

With you there, I think he did his job well.

I thought his ruck work was surprisingly good tonight.

Same here.

I think he'll prove a handy edition to the squad.

Against St. Kilda his ruck work was unspectacular, but solid. Interestingly he had no marks, but was second in the team (behind Tom McDonald) in 1percenters.

I think he's a guy who's going to play a specific role without being a superstar.

That's not a bad thing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What he brings: drawing defenders very often despite rarely looking like he can take a mark. Won a few tapps and actually tapped to advantage.

What we havent seen: his disposal, defensive work.

What I worry about: second efforts, speed and marking

What he brings: drawing defenders very often despite rarely looking like he can take a mark. Won a few tapps and actually tapped to advantage.

What we havent seen: his disposal, defensive work.

What I worry about: second efforts, speed and marking

Delisted by Adelaide and nothing I have seen so far suggests to me that they got it wrong.