• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MFC midfield 2012

Curry & Beer

Sylvia, Moloney and Trengove form a pretty solid front three and there are some gems to develop but we're still missing one quality, hard-nosed type with experience. The youngsters will fill that void in time but in the meanwhile I still can't see us competing in the guts over four quarters with top four sides.

I note Davey is no longer considered an option C & B.

what is this thread? is this the order in which you think they'll be selected?

Midfield will be the same as last year when scully was injured....Still think Blease will be plaed predominantly off the HBF, and Sylvia predominantly from the HFF.

Do the numbers mean something? Midfield is all about rotations and top end quality. We probably don't have the quality next year, especially if we have injuries. We need to replace Scully with another gun in addition to Viney to be what we want him to be. But in the meantime we need half forwards who can rotate in - Sylvia and Petterd for a start. A fit and firing Aaron Davey playing both deep forward and also in the midfield where he can break lines is also crucial.

C: Davey Moloney Jones

HF: Sylvia ********** Petterd

Foll: Jamar McKenzie Trengove

Int: Martin Gysberts Bail

Blease off HB is potentially a real weapon. I would not be suprised if sylvia can be re invented as a real goer in the engine room as well. If so, him along with moloney and jones and eventually viney can inject some real muscle around the ball. Sylvia is a bit lazy around the ball at times but if neeld can give him a good kick up the **** the side has some real inside strength

• Like 1

sorry all for the incomplete thread.. something stuffed up and then I got distracted

Just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on how we will fare this year in the midfield - it's fair to say we were pretty awful this year, even with Beamer having quite a fine year. To top it off we've lost Scully!

Unfortunately I can't see a lot of improvement in that list, Jones is capable of going up another cog and I already rate him.

And yeah, Davey is not an onballer, you have to get your hands dirty to be one. No disrespect to him but he has never been that type of player. We should continue to use him off HB, although everyone figured out long ago how to nullify him in this role.

Very interesting to see what effect having a (should have been) back-to-back premiership midfield coach at the helm will have

To top it off we've lost Scully!

Unfortunately I can't see a lot of improvement in that list, Jones is capable of going up another cog and I already rate him.

How many games did $ully play for us again? His loss can be easily negated. A full season out of Grimes or Gysberts should see to that.

And although it's not written in the wind, I can see a lot of improvement in that list- Full pre-seasons can do miraculous things for young players, at this age their scope of improvement is still significant. And any player is capable of stepping up a cog, could be Jones, could be anyone.

gee D.Martin would look good in that list of midfielders wouldnt he. that would be an elite group then

Overrated imo. How many times this year was he somewhat quiet or go missing in games only to rack up disposals when the result of a game was a forgone conclusion, whether the Tiges won or lossed? A fair few. Sure he played a fair few good games too, the occasional blinder, but that was no different than Sylvia, and no one raves about him anywhere near as much.

Plus we will have Viney and potentially another 2 mids to replace $cully with, who hopefully will blow Martin out of the water, in particular the former. He'll personally see to it that Martin is buried 6 feet into the turf at some stage during his career!!!

Edited by Demon Disciple

1. bail
  2. blease
  3. gysberts
  4. trengove
  5. sylvia
  6. moloney
  7. mckenzie
  8. jones

Since Bate now seems a "required player" and doesn't look a forward, maybe Mark sees his "role" as mid?

Throw in Tappy and maybe later Evans and Nicho

Overrated imo. How many times this year was he somewhat quiet or go missing in games only to rack up disposals when the result of a game was a forgone conclusion, whether the Tiges won or lossed? A fair few. Sure he played a fair few good games too, the occasional blinder, but that was no different than Sylvia, and no one raves about him anywhere near as much.

Plus we will have Viney and potentially another 2 mids to replace $cully with, who hopefully will blow Martin out of the water, in particular the former. He'll personally see to it that Martin is buried 6 feet into the turf at some stage during his career!!!

I agree he did go missing on occasions but i get the feeling we'll look back to Dustin Martins 2nd year as a typical 2nd season for a young player. i have no doubt he will become an absolute gun.

Do you guys see Neeld looking at Bate as a potential midfielder?

1. bail
  2. blease
  3. gysberts
  4. trengove
  5. sylvia
  6. moloney
  7. mckenzie
  8. jones

How do we compare to the best midfield in the comp - Carlton?

1. Judd

2. Murphy

3. Gibbs

4. Scotland

5. Carazzo

6. Garlett

7. Armfield

Judd is a big bodied player that can handle multiple tacklers - our next best is moloney

Murphy is a skilled mid with great running capacity - next best is trengove

Gibbs is a big bodied player that can kick goals - Sylvia

Scotland is an experienced hard body player - lacking at the dees

carrazzo is an outside player getting the loose ball - next best is bail

Garlett is a quick outside player that creates opportunities - don't really have this type of speedster in our side, maybe bleese/bennell

Armfield is more of a wingman come mid - gysberts

Looks like the only place we are lacking (except for a Judd) is an experienced 28yo and an outside speedster.

1. Maybe bennell could fill that role?

2. Any chance for green to play the Scotland role for parts of the game?

Bennell could be an option. he has a lot of upside still and love his pace. hasnt really touched his potential yet. greens had his day in the midfield and i dont think its his spot. I prefer him up forward. when you compare those midfields our inexperience is glaring but i think the potential is very promising

How do we compare to the best midfield in the comp - Carlton?

1. Judd

2. Murphy

3. Gibbs

4. Scotland

5. Carazzo

6. Garlett

7. Armfield

We have one of, if not the worst midfields in the competition. We don't come close to Carlton, Geelong, Stkilda of Collingwood.

Our defence is strong, with Frawley and Garland 2 10-year stars to base a defence around. Our forward line has the makings to be great as well, with huge talent in Jurrah, Watts and Petterd, Clarke also makes a big difference.

However, until we get a great midfield we will not make the 8.

In my opinion, we need to add two bona fide stars (I'm talking Pendlebury & Thomas quality) IN ADDITION to our current crop to become a great midfield. Hopefully we trade our 2 Scully Compo picks for a midfield star + Viney could do to the trick nicely?

Sylvinator from The Netherlands!

• Like 1

We have one of, if not the worst midfields in the competition. We don't come close to Carlton, Geelong, Stkilda of Collingwood.

Our defence is strong, with Frawley and Garland 2 10-year stars to base a defence around. Our forward line has the makings to be great as well, with huge talent in Jurrah, Watts and Petterd, Clarke also makes a big difference.

However, until we get a great midfield we will not make the 8.

In my opinion, we need to add two bona fide stars (I'm talking Pendlebury & Thomas quality) IN ADDITION to our current crop to become a great midfield. Hopefully we trade our 2 Scully Compo picks for a midfield star + Viney could do to the trick nicely?

Sylvinator from The Netherlands!

Our midfield is currently one of the worst for sure but we have the cattle. just need to get some games in to them. a star, strong bodied mid thrown in there will accelerate the process for sure. Blease will be a gun as will trengove.

I'd include Watts and Dunn in the midfield group to add size and grunt when appropriate. I'd even consider if he could get his engine right.

I tend to agree with Sylvinator. We're one gun mid short at the moment, factoring Viney as an addition for 2013 and Trengove as a potential star. Hopefully we can address that next draft/trade period.

Our forward and backlines now have a great look about them with the most encouraging part being the depth. Cook, Fitzpatrick, McDonald and Davis are all KP prospects that may not get much air time next year but show plenty of promise. Our 2013 spine should be pretty impressive. When we have a midfield to match we will be a serious threat.

I tend to agree with Sylvinator. We're one gun mid short at the moment, factoring Viney as an addition for 2013 and Trengove as a potential star. Hopefully we can address that next draft/trade period.

Our forward and backlines now have a great look about them with the most encouraging part being the depth. Cook, Fitzpatrick, McDonald and Davis are all KP prospects that may not get much air time next year but show plenty of promise. Our 2013 spine should be pretty impressive. When we have a midfield to match we will be a serious threat.

Where is Davis at right now? I saw his highlight packages when we drafted him and he looked an incredible FB prospect. He could be our next star in the backline!

Also does anyone feel Evans can get more of a run this year? Looked good!

Evans was held back mainly by injury. I agree his work rate was great!

I think very very highly of Bail. I think his ability to run and break through the stoppages makes him a possible go to running midfielder. He is physically very solid and quick. Maybe just needs to improve his ball use.