MFC Presser at 2 PM on SEN

Sir Why You Little

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Action speaks louder than words!

Remember teams win flags not just 1 player

Spot on by the club they cant go out with all guns blazing & then seek compensation

How would you feel if we had to pay him 2mill in his first year! what a joke

Overpaid!!!!

Get two more players who want to play for the Jumper & get paid accordingly

What do you honestly expect at a press conference?

Shaking of fists? Wringing of hands? Going red in the face? Or all of the above?

I could not give a flying one about the MFC press conference.

I will be monitoring what MFC does in the days subsequent to this.

This Scully decision wont come as a surprise to MFC. It was outcome that should have expected and dreaded for 12 months. They should have prepared and be ready with a sensible response.

Be smart and balanced at the press conference. Be smarter and more strategic away from it.

Ah...some sage words :)

This game is far from over......its just half time, swap ends..lol

I do actually have some faith that the club kknows how to go about this. Without doubt some egos and annoyances need to be kept in check but so far I have the sense the cool heads prevail.

I too watch with great interest.

Go Dees

Guest Darren Lamb

Unprecedented amount of money for a kid in $cully's position.

30-40% more than any other contracts they know of, in the 1st year of his contract.

The setup rules being used by GWS in a way that wasn't intended when they were created.

GWS instead of filling a list with some mature bodies so they are competitive have loaded up on kids and will get smashed from the outset.

The compensation rules allowing for extra picks in exceptional cases were for 2 types of players -- "franchise" players and elite kids.

How do you come to that belief?

One is announcing a major signing, the other the loss of a number 1 draft pick.

The contrast is akin to a party and a funeral!

Just the fact that we are saying we have been around for 153 years this is just a blip in the radar like many others we have had... Nearly smiling. Was asked if it's a good day for football. Could have said no we lost our number 1 draft pick and at best we are getting a mid range first rd draft pick and a late first rd pick.

Perhaps I'm still a little bit upset and look I understand he couldn't say much more just feel like we get pushed aside to easily. I for one liked the way McLardy spoke. He said we didn't want to compromise our list for just one player.

Edited by Clanger King

Unprecedented amount of money for a kid in $cully's position.

30-40% more than any other contracts they know of, in the 1st year of his contract.

The setup rules being used by GWS in a way that wasn't intended when they were created.

GWS instead of filling a list with some mature bodies so they are competitive have loaded up on kids and will get smashed from the outset.

The compensation rules allowing for extra picks in exceptional cases were for 2 types of players -- "franchise" players and elite kids.

I hope OX doensn't jib it and asks the hard quetsions and presses Scully.

The $2.0m for year 1 now confirms in my mind what an obscenity has been developed by Demetriou. He should be ashamed.

Cameron Schwab is a consummate professional.

He had fire in his belly but was remarkably level headed.

i feel comfortable regarding the compensation picks in his hands

I agree. Handled the China question well and also all the other scuttlebutt simply by saying we asked Tom about these things and he said it wasn't a consideration and they believed him as they did about the decision delay. They painted Scully as honest, so unless Scully announces to the world he is a liar, that should be the end of all that handwringing by some of our members (not that will stop the hardened cases from wringing away).

It was quite believable that the decision was made in the last week or so given that mfc says they started to see the writing on the wall when GWS upped their offer to an extra year. Of course you might believe a conspiracy or bum-covering if that gives you comfort. But who cares - just get decent compensation and congratulate ourselves we may have dodged a dodgy knee and have retained the better player chosen at pick 1.5 - Trengove.

The interesting part of this ( which I posted earlier) is around the reported $6M and 6 years.

When did this happen ?

If we are to believe the reports , for last 3 months we were at $5M for 5 years and all of a sudden Bazinga.....another Million and another year !

How did this reconcile with a deal done a year ago ?

Rhino's right here.

It's not what they say at the presser that's relevant, it's how they go about dealing with issues such as compensation going forward.

From what I heard, it was line and lenght stuff that we would expect in the ordinary course. Yes, they believed Tom and worked with him through the issues blah, blah.

You would have to be naieve in the extreme if you believed that no lies were told during the course of the Scully saga. Perhaps not by Tom if he was suitably quarantined away from all discussions concerning his contract but anyone who believes that GWS only reached an agreement in principle for his services between the arrival yesterday of Tom's flight from Tullamarine and Mike Sheahan breaking the news this morning can PM me. I have a beautiful bridge to sell you cheap that spans Sydney Harbour.

But all that means Jack Squat now.

What is relevant is how the club rebounds from this morning and the first task behind the scenes is exactly what Cameron Schwab told the media - to get the best compensation possible for losing what is now the highest paid 20 year old in the country and then ensuring that the club moves forward in every direction.

Guest Darren Lamb

Range Rover? Anything to add?

In fact, I recall reading a post a fortnight ago (god knows who it was by) that $cully was still deciding, but GWS simply could not afford to let him say no, and would end up throwing the kitchen sink at him to get him over the line...............

They could have been sage words.

Edited by Darren Lamb

So does anyone actually know what transpired on the China trip that has apparently caused Scully so much angst????????????

Gawn ate Scully'$ dim sims, that was bad enough, but what sent him packing was Gawn returned the dimmies 2 hours later.

Guest Darren Lamb

So does anyone actually know what transpired on the China trip that has apparently caused Scully so much angst????????????

$cully went home early from the trip, but it was due to a "family emergency".

Many have tried to infer that it was due to something else, but that's not correct.

Some speculated that it was to speak to GWS.

Obviously $cully has strongly denied this when asked by the club.

No angst, not sure where you got that from.

Edited by Darren Lamb

Guest Darren Lamb

I think Cameron Schwab handled this well too, not losing his cool or being too negative toward GWS or $cully, in spite of his clear anger.

He knows that if we want one of those 17 years old picks, we're going to need to be on relatively good terms with GWS.

Speaking of hints, I like the way Schwab hinted that GWS where fools. Mentioned that the rules were put into place so that the new clubs could get some hard/seasoned bodies into the team and not just have a bunch of kids running around. Then pointed towards GWS' signings, a bunch of kids.

Range Rover?

In fact, I recall reading a post a fortnight ago (god knows who it was by) that $cully was still deciding, but GWS simply could afford to let him say no, and would end up throwing the kitchen sink at him to get him over the line...............

They could have been sage words.

Yep. GWS would have been massively embarrassed if he had decided to stay with what many see as a basket-case club instead of taking an enormous offer from GWS. Downside for them was much bigger than it was for us. Looks like they had to make the offer even bigger to tempt him away (unless you religiously believe it was all a done deal earlier on, including a charade of a last minute increase!) That should bring some comfort to us supporters.

Just had a look at the compensation formula on the AFL website.

We will almost certainly get 2 first round picks. One will be pick 11, the other will be dependant on where we finish in the year we decide to take it. Good chance that will be next year, and will equate to around pick 10-12.

Given the compensation is determined on the player's age and contract offer, there is no way in hell the compensation will be any less than band 1.

Yep. GWS would have been massively embarrassed if he had decided to stay with what many see as a basket-case club instead of taking an enormous offer from GWS. Downside for them was much bigger than it was for us. Looks like they had to make the offer even bigger to tempt him away (unless you religiously believe it was all a done deal earlier on, including a charade of a last minute increase!) That should bring some comfort to us supporters.

Maybe. But only unprecedented compensation would be regarded as comfort. Seeing as they apparently upped the ante and he gets $2 million in first year (which is more than Ablett apparently).

Pick 1 and 'mid first rounder' would soften the blow. :)