The Mitch Clark Thread

Heart Beats True

I suppose the one thing in our favour atm is that Freo havent been able to stitch up the deal yet. Considering they were big on this from before the week its now Thu and nothing. Might have been a good ploy by Lyon ( R ) to scare off other suitors. I dont hink though that the Lions appreciated being told what was going to happen.

Footy's a funny game sometimes...and trade week doubly so.

I reckon he'd be worth around pick 12 and a downgrade of a second round pick.

I think he'd be a great fit, although not gonna hold my breath. How long is it since we landed someone of quality in trade week? Probably Moloney all the way back in 2004. And this week has already started poorly (IMO) with the mini-draft picks going elsewhere.

Hopefully we can land him, not looking forward to seeing that awful sleeve tattoo he has on a weekly basis though ;-)

Despite 'not landing anyone' its hard to knock our trade week movements in recent times considering travis/brock for grimes/gysberts, 2 clear wins for us.

Im not sure why people are worrying about Martin's position, firstly Clark will be a primarily a key forward (27 goals from 17 games 2011) and secondly if we're in a position where Martin is struggling to find a spot, this has to be a good sign of how we are travelling as a team

if we get him he has to sign a long term deal at least 4 years. He is 25 years old

Actually he turns 24 next week (DOB 19.10.87).

He's a player who could change the whole dynamic of our team, especially the forward line ... give the opportunity for Watts to play his best further up the ground, and for Howe, Petterd, Jurrah etc. to be taking the 3rd and 4th best defenders.

I'd throw plenty at him ... pick #12 plus.

• Like 2

I'd take him at the right price, but Brisbane wants a first round pick, and he's not worth that. Maybe our compo pick, but that's as far as I'd go. He's good, and fills a role, but he's not that good. And there's the seemingly burning issue of him wanting to go back to WA.

He's definitely worth our pick 12 in a weak draft. We'd be gutted if we had a key position player, taken as a high pick, who can play in the ruck, has had 6 - 7 years in the system and has his best 5 years ahead of him leave us for anything less than a first rounder in a shallow draft. I'd actually pay more.

• Like 1

Actually he turns 24 next week (DOB 19.10.87).

He's a player who could change the whole dynamic of our team, especially the forward line ... give the opportunity for Watts to play his best further up the ground, and for Howe, Petterd, Jurrah etc. to be taking the 3rd and 4th best defenders.

I'd throw plenty at him ... pick #12 plus.

Maybe we offer our pick 12 and do a swap their 30 for our 37 or similarl

or

One of our compo picks and same swap 30 for 37

Still trumps Freo. stil keeps #12.. anything after 12 is a bit of a raffle anyways this year

He's definitely worth our pick 12 in a weak draft. We'd be gutted if we had a key position player, taken as a high pick, who can play in the ruck, has had 6 - 7 years in the system and has his best 5 years ahead of him leave us for anything less than a first rounder in a shallow draft. I'd actually pay more.

Would you include Steph Martin in the trade? Our first round plus Steph for their second round ?

I think you're over-valuing him a bit too much. I agree that he is a player that fills a role, and could be a great player, but from what I've seen, I'm not as convinced as you that pick 12 is right. I'm utterly convinced that he's not a top 10 player, which you're intimating.

Look, if we end up swapping Pick 12 for Clark, I won't lose any sleep, and we may well end up a better team for it. But I wouldn't jump at it.

Would you include Steph Martin in the trade? Our first round plus Steph for their second round ?

Absolutely not.

Martin is a better ruckman, and arguably a better player.

That would be a straight swap with a pick upgrade in our favour.

Would not do it.

• Like 2

For those of us who cant get it to work a quick precis would be appreciated.

No problem mate;

1. Said that now that it's out in the open we will be going for Mitch Clark and are very keen.

2. Haven't discussed whether we will part with pick 12, we'll talk draft picks if and when Clark says he is interested in coming.

3. Are interested in Tommy Walsh from StKilda but on that note theres another 8-10 that interest us.

4. Today will be an interesting day to watch.

• Like 1

Fremantle are only offering pick 20 and Brisbane are saying definitive no.

Given the bickering that is going on between the clubs for mine I think Brisbane will be quite pi55ed off at the Dockers. With that I believe it will only take any sort of increase on their bid to get it over the line. Just my opinion.

No way at all we're letting Martin go. Ridiculous suggestion.

Mitch Clark is a significant improvement on Martin. I would still keep Martin because he gives us flexibility and is a player who is on the rise but if it was the difference between getting Clark and missing out, I'd reluctantly say goodbye to Martin. Clark is a great contested mark, has a mature body and was unlucky not to be All Australian two seasons ago.

• Like 3