Tom Scully in September ...

Grandson of a gun

I just bumped into Sheedy at Sydney airport and apart from wanting to give him a few choice words, I asked him about the compensation for $cully.He said quote, "You will get 1st and 2nd round picks and you should consider that as lucky".

How did you not punch the [censored] in the throat?

I believe the bargaining part of DABDA involves the theme - "I would have given him more $$$, would have cleaned up the club, would have rathered player X leave to keep him."I'm pretty much at Acceptance stage with Depression this morning...

Same here rpfc, although my depression stage started last night when I saw the airport footage. For some reason that was my turning point (or breaking point, whichever).

Is there upside to the fact we just cost GWS $6,000,000 to ensure they got him? Won't that hurt them somehow down the track?

How could it hurt them when they are funded by Vlad and his dictatorship? They cou;d've paid him 20mil without an issue if they wanted.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought Garry's response on Footy Classified was weak as. Don't hate the kid, hate the system? 95% of players would have taken the payday? What about Bartel, Swan, Thomas, Dustin Martin? It's bad enough to get screwed but I'm sick of this club bending over and handing the AFL the lube.

Was thinking the exact same thing. I like Gary but rarely does he come down from the 3 metre high fence he has made his home and when he does it is only after looking both ways. Tonight needed a hard nosed, take no prisoners response from the supposed flagship of our club. Instead we were treated to something only describeable as disappointing and weak.

Gary's account of the Tom Scully phone call this morning showed exactly why Scully felt completely at ease with resigning from his work place by phone. No angst or demanding of answers on behalf of the MFC, simply acceptance and understanding.

Even the MFC presser today gave nothing more than a whimper. When asked by a journalist about how the club felt about Scully informing the club by phone of his decision, the question was not even answered. Despite what the headlines will say tommorrow, Swabb or McClardy demanded nothing in the way of compensation. They simply stated politely what they think we are entitled to until the AFL tell us otherwise.

For the love of God is there not a prized and [censored] off bull amongst our lot. Where is our Jeff Kennett or Eddy? While we react in these ways to injustices like today we will forever be seen as a weak pushover of the competition.

The thing that irks me most about this whole saga isn't about Tom Scully leaving and the big money on offer, but more the MFC related comments.

The China trip

The sacked coach

The professionalism of the players

The footy department unrest

etc, etc

It would have been nice for these things not to brought up, and everyone in football saw it for exactly what it is........a cash grab!

I for one am just relieved that this sorry tale is over.

It's one of the worst episodes I can remember involving our club. I cannot recall anyone treating us with such distain. From the moment his management put contract talks on hold and his subsequent refusal to hose down the speculation as it increased throughout the year, we all knew what was coming. And we knew, despite his weasel words in March when he said he loves the club and anticipates being a one-club player. For many people, speaking those words publically would be as good as signing a contract.

What irritates me as a supporter is the amount of people who stuck their necks out for Scully and defended his integrity. Plenty of people spent hours backing him on this forum, but more to the point week in week out, players, coaches, administrators and above all else an ailing President stuck up for him, while he hid in the background. He was happy to let them take the heat. Then today, he didn't have the courage to tell those people who protected him publically for an entire season about his decision in person. Ironically, the man he didn't face, Jim Stynes, has more courage, integrity and moral fibre in his little finger than Scully has in his entire body.

Adding insult to injury, our club's supporters even lowered themselves to displaying banners behind the goals pleading with him not to leave. That was just darn right embarrassing, And to think it was for a 19-year old who had played just a handful of games.

To hear him say that it's exciting to be playing with such a promising young list is a disgrace when the group he was part of at Melbourne is on the same path but clearly more advanced.

It makes me sick that he ever wore the 31 jumper - it clearly meant nothing to him. I for one hope that Cameron Schwab's assertion that club's bounce back pretty quickly is right.

Can I just say that the biggest insult for me is Jimma in all this. Ignore the emotion surrounding his illness. This man is a legend of our club. A Brownlow Medallist, one of the first to come out in the Irish Experiment, a super ruckman and a fantastic player. Further to this, he saved our football club. Not just a little bit. Our football club would have DIED. We owe him the MFC.

For Tom to drag such a legend and such a man of integrity that we know Jim to be through all that is nothing short of disgraceful.

Oh, and I do want to have a serve at Ron Barassi. MFC #1 ticketholder Ron Barassi, who said on 3AW earlier this year that Tom should go to GWS for the good of the game. I don't give a rat's toss about the good of the game. If you are the #1 ticketholder of the MFC you do not come out and say things like that. The detriment of the club should not be at all approved of by the number 1 ticketholder, regardless of whatever role they hold. Barass, I'm sorry, but you have to make a call - make every call regarding the MFC in Melbourne's favour, or don't be the #1 ticketholder.

Little P*ssed off but so be it. Don't hate the kid, I'd struggle to reject an offer like that. He probably could have done it better, thought he could have let Stynes in so he didn't haven't stick his neck out defending him.

Would have fuelled speculation even further with Jimmy not commenting on the matter, but we got an overload of 'theories' anyway.

Thought Garry's response on Footy Classified was weak as. Don't hate the kid, hate the system? 95% of players would have taken the payday? What about Bartel, Swan, Thomas, Dustin Martin? It's bad enough to get screwed but I'm sick of this club bending over and handing the AFL the lube.

yes it was left for caroline wilson to fly the red and blue flag. can't imagine eddie performing so sheepishly in defence of his club. perhaps it's because we are circling for ross lyon.

Can I just say that the biggest insult for me is Jimma in all this. Ignore the emotion surrounding his illness. This man is a legend of our club. A Brownlow Medallist, one of the first to come out in the Irish Experiment, a super ruckman and a fantastic player. Further to this, he saved our football club. Not just a little bit. Our football club would have DIED. We owe him the MFC.

For Tom to drag such a legend and such a man of integrity that we know Jim to be through all that is nothing short of disgraceful.

Oh, and I do want to have a serve at Ron Barassi. MFC #1 ticketholder Ron Barassi, who said on 3AW earlier this year that Tom should go to GWS for the good of the game. I don't give a rat's toss about the good of the game. If you are the #1 ticketholder of the MFC you do not come out and say things like that. The detriment of the club should not be at all approved of by the number 1 ticketholder, regardless of whatever role they hold. Barass, I'm sorry, but you have to make a call - make every call regarding the MFC in Melbourne's favour, or don't be the #1 ticketholder.

yes that was unforgivable. glad robbie flower has replaced him in this gig, a true reward for his loyalty.

Tom obviously doesn't give a shit about his teammates or his supporters, so I doubt he'd give a shit about Jimmy either. The "how could you do this to Jim!" thing is going a bit overboard - ultimately Jim's just another MFC supporter who has been burned, like all the rest of us, not some superior being who deserves more than us serfs.

Time may have somewhat healed the wound Barrasi left on his departure, but 40 odd years ago he made his thoughts on taking the coin and running perfectly clear. It's not surprising that history has repeated itself in terms of his attitude towards it. That said, I agree that it'd be nice if he could put a sock in it while he's the #1 ticket holder of the club - thankfully he's not anymore anyway.

Was thinking the exact same thing. I like Gary but rarely does he come down from the 3 metre high fence he has made his home and when he does it is only after looking both ways. Tonight needed a hard nosed, take no prisoners response from the supposed flagship of our club. Instead we were treated to something only describeable as disappointing and weak.

Gary's account of the Tom Scully phone call this morning showed exactly why Scully felt completely at ease with resigning from his work place by phone. No angst or demanding of answers on behalf of the MFC, simply acceptance and understanding.

Even the MFC presser today gave nothing more than a whimper. When asked by a journalist about how the club felt about Scully informing the club by phone of his decision, the question was not even answered. Despite what the headlines will say tommorrow, Swabb or McClardy demanded nothing in the way of compensation. They simply stated politely what they think we are entitled to until the AFL tell us otherwise.

For the love of God is there not a prized and [censored] off bull amongst our lot. Where is our Jeff Kennett or Eddy? While we react in these ways to injustices like today we will forever be seen as a weak pushover of the competition.

Can somebody please tell me who is running the MFC at the moment?

Is it Garry? If so what is his official title? What is he responsible and accountable for?

Where is the board of dierectiors in all of this?

This club is so weak it is embarassing.Many here and elsewhere wanted someone to eyeball Scully at the beginning of this saga spell out the MFC offer and DEMAND an answer! If the offer wasnt accepted then [censored] the guy off and move on. This didnt happen and MFC have been held to ransome ever since by a kid and a corrupt AFL system

this club is an embarassment and doesnt look liker getting any better

Other clubs supporters are howling with laughter at our poor pathetic club and another season destroyed by our own hand

I think there should be an extrordinary general meeting soooner rather than later to sort out a way forward.

The thing that irks me most about this whole saga isn't about Tom Scully leaving and the big money on offer, but more the MFC related comments.

The China trip

The sacked coach

The professionalism of the players

The footy department unrest

etc, etc

It would have been nice for these things not to brought up, and everyone in football saw it for exactly what it is........a cash grab!

Yeh would be great if all was 100% at the club but what about all the other players who resigned/extended contracts. Why didnt this affect Trengoves decision?? Bottom line Scully was advised by his mgt that his currency would enormous & was told not to sign way before the above events.

When you have 6 mill waved at you, you will find things at your current club to justify moving its just normal human behaviour.

Lets find players who want to play for the MFC & get paid accordingly!

Is it Garry? If so what is his official title? What is he responsible and accountable for?

This club is so weak it is embarassing.Many here and elsewhere wanted someone to eyeball Scully at the beginning of this saga spell out the MFC offer and DEMAND an answer! If the offer wasnt accepted then [censored] the guy off and move on. This didnt happen and MFC have been held to ransome ever since by a kid and a corrupt AFL system

Other clubs supporters are howling with laughter at our poor pathetic club and another season destroyed by our own hand

I think there should be an extrordinary general meeting soooner rather than later to sort out a way forward.

[/quote

Can we say the same about Geelong,Bulldogs,Freo,Haw, they all lost A grade players & were only told at the end of the season.

Dont play the MFC blame the system AFL!

Lyon's response shows far more sense than the thoughtless torch bearing "make a stand" rabble.

I am no doubt MFC are seething at the outcome but have diplomatically played a sensible hand.

Having a potshot on public TV at the AFL is the perfect way to absolutely bury yourself when it comes to future negotiations on matters.

Arent you able to google it yourself to find the answers?

The ultimatum strategy with Scully was discussed and exposed for the stupidity it was. Hindsight does not make it any smarter.

See if you can google "Purposes of an EGM" and then work out what you want to achieve by it. Its on a par with the Scully ultimatum.

lets face facts, he took the money, not one of us wouldnt, but what annoys me is this whole Tom Scully has integrity, has a level head!!!

HE OUT AND OUT LIED TO MFC AND US!!!!!!

"I only signed today" funny, why then is there a corporate vid with you in it recorded the day before?????

"i'm here for a look at the facilities" really Tom, was Blacktown and western sydney so impressive when you got there that you said "wow, its like the garden of Eden here, OMG!!!!!, give me the contract and the pen, i must sign!!!!!!!!"

you knew ages ago, YOU LIED to a great man, a great club and great fans. Enjoy your cash, i suppose you could buy a replica premiership trophy, thats as close as you'll get.

integrity my arse.

I thought Garry was good last night, I loved the comment we are cashed up to go after players, Hutchy then throw in GWS players and G Loyon responded yes GWS players. We should be plotting to get the big key forward that we need, he will be the number 1 draft pick this year what goes around and boy will that upset a few people.

Tom is gone, hopefully the AFL will give us the compensation picks we deserve and we can then have picks and money to get players that we need.

Like it or not, we screwed this one at the draft table. A decent psych would have pinned this sort of character flaw from a mile away.

They would have needed to interview his dad.

Anyone suggested it's the moment for an Angry Kennett-like response has got rocks in their head. The time for that, and to get the full story out, might come in the future but we still have compensation negotiations to work through. Not the time to get angry and put people offside, especialy those who hold the (purse) strings.

The question that I want to know is how does Schwab, etc know the exact details of Scully's new contract? He knows virtually to the cent what he is getting, when he is getting it, and how he is getting it, and will use this in the discussion with the AFL regarding compensation.

Schwab was very clever in stating that we should receive maximum compensation. Reality is, in his first season, Scully will be the highest paid player in the AFL. The first part of his contract, for season 2012, will be worth a lot more than Ablett, and the Club will be using this to get the best return. The smartly said that it should be 2 first round picks, but didn't demand the same as what Geelong got for Ablett, which I believe is because they are going for more compensation. Should we get more than what Geelong got? Maybe. Is Scully better than Ablett? No. But the thing in our favour, and regardless of what the football community think, is that GWS paid what they did, and we know exactly how much that is.

I can understand the Geelong faithful not hating Ablett for leaving. He helped the Club achieve the ultimate - twice, and won a Bronlow along the way. I can't understand why a lot of our players, officals and supporters are feeling the same way about Scully, who has been on our list for 2 seasons and done bugger all for us. I have no doubt he will be a star, but it wont be in the red & blue.

yep I'm still feeling bitter about the whole $AGA....so I'm suggesting that we term a new phrase for whenever you are shafted, lied to, ripped off, betrayed, let down, manipulated, deceived etc......you have just been "Tom-Scullied".

I have tried it with a few mates and seems to work quite nicely...here are a few examples where you could use the new term:

Situations:

You catch your girl friend/wife cheating on you with another friend of yours......"Damn she totally Tom-Scullied me!"

You ask a mate to come help you move house on the weekend, he says 'yeah I plan on/ anticipate being there', but come the weekend he ring s up and says he's down the pub. "Damn he totally Tom-Scullied me".

The AFL stack the GW$ situation to make it impossible for clubs to keep their young guns...." yep footy fans got royally Tom-Scullied there".

Feel free to call me bitter...or add your own story of when you have been "Tom-Scullied" B)

lets face facts, he took the money, not one of us wouldnt, but what annoys me is this whole Tom Scully has integrity, has a level head!!!

HE OUT AND OUT LIED TO MFC AND US!!!!!!

"I only signed today" funny, why then is there a corporate vid with you in it recorded the day before?????

"i'm here for a look at the facilities" really Tom, was Blacktown and western sydney so impressive when you got there that you said "wow, its like the garden of Eden here, OMG!!!!!, give me the contract and the pen, i must sign!!!!!!!!"

you knew ages ago, YOU LIED to a great man, a great club and great fans. Enjoy your cash, i suppose you could buy a replica premiership trophy, thats as close as you'll get.

integrity my arse.

One thing the video was filmed on the monday morning. The time added is American time so it was showing the 11th.