Brad Green on The Couch

Choko

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly if people really think there is confliction within the football department they really have rocks in their heads. Since 2007 everyone from media journalists and supporters have commended the Melbourne Football Club for getting back on track. To suggest that there is a battle of ego's right now is simply ridiculous and to put in plainly is offensive to all the great work Stynes and Schwab have achieved.

Yes the James McDonald sacking could have been handled differently, no doubt the Scully saga is internally getting on people's nerves and clearly Bailey is no sure thing to continue on past this year but FFS have some faith in the club, we've simply come too far to let inflammatory articles by the media destabilise us.

All true - the most balanced comments on this thread - though to get back to the start,it must be said BG was less than impressive

There's one big difference, I don't use them concurrently and I don't use them in unison to make an argument seem stronger. This subtelty may escape you.

Oh, and no worries.

I actually tried to concurrently use them in unison but I went adjective over verbosity trying it....is subtely a small tv for submiraners...a bit of subtle humour there

COMMENT:

When you weigh everything up and take various issues into account, seriously something would be wrong if there wasn't some heated discussion or debate. We're on 7.5 wins with erratic performances to date and 6 games remaining with a coach coming out of contract and a decision to be made. We've got the S c u l l y contract discussion being played out and speculated by all in sundry within the AFL media machine, the club handling of it, we've got ongoing list management issues. We're in the middle of a tough month of footy. And then there is the supporters demanding changes and having a say. Big decisions need to be made and processes put in place to address the various issues. We have a young list on the up and still in it's development phase. It might be we are approaching a fork in the road and debate may cover a host of alternatives that determine which way to go for this great club. Whether that be recruiting, drafting needs, new contracts, new coaching personnel. Noses will get put out of joint in any case, at any club this time of year. Buckle up, take a seat and have some faith in your club. We've come this far. Stay the course.

Welcome to football.

I couldn't disagree with you on this post..I feel the same way..excepting to state that Junior been given the flick , like he did, is almost unforgivable.But I have no doubt it was a joint decision.One of the major issues, at the start of the season,was to try to gain some experience into the club due to the lack of leadership.A vacancy still sits on the Board for a football person to come on it..Nothing was obtained..there seems to be seroius in fighting and the players don't seem to be united..it is therefore the coach, football manager and the ceo along with the President(whom is currently overseeing the football department on behalf of the board) to sort things out..in a couple of years time, we will be richer for this years experience..however, there needs to be change..and in particular the coaching panel.I am not saying Bailey has to go , but the collective mateship of C.C., Viney and Stynes have to stand up to be counted now as we have basically not performed to our true ability this year..and earlier in the year, it was supposed to be the clash of the coach and the CEO..that was on tenderhooks.and I still do not understand why the Wednesday segment by Schwab was stopped straight away with no notice to all.No doubt ,they have issues and needs sorted now.The board which is has a brilliant amount of clever heads need to urgently appoint another football person whom can oversee this area apart of Stynes.He is the President and needs to not place himself in possible conflict of issues with in the football department itself..Stand up Steve Smith or someone like him..

Edited by jayceebee31

All true - the most balanced comments on this thread - though to get back to the start,it must be said BG was less than impressive

I'm sure everyone here has huge faith in the club or else they would have ditched it a decade or two ago. We have to face it that we are a second rate club and all the venting of frustration is perfectly justified given our miserable past half century.

As for Junior. I still cannot come to terms that the forced retirement of a 34 year old player could have caused so much angst amongst the playing group. How many players in the competition have played to such an advanced age? Not many I feel. And we are not a wealthy club existing in a perennial premiership window who can afford to keep a favourite son just because there may be room for him.

As I have said before if the old won't go away then the new won't come. If there are some players still upset that Junior has gone then perhaps the culling has not gone far enough and there may be still some players around that lack the moral fibre (as demonstrated by some of our highly paid leadership group) to lead this club into a brighter future.

Similar things happened last decade to St Kilda and Essendon. Blight and Knights got crucified for culling the stubborn dead wood. Bailey might be next to pay the price of failed culture change . But I am now starting to think our inertia and lack of forward progress may not be entirely his fault.

Edited by america de cali

I couldn't agree with you anymore on this post..I feel the same way..excepting to state that Junior been given the flick , like he did, is almost unforgivable.

Actually to me, it is highly forgiveable because the club did something that most clubs dont do and it was refreshing to see that ours did. The club (Bailey I think) came out and said if we had our time again we could have handled it a lot better. I can move on knowing that, to coin a Nathan Jones phrase, "we learnt from it".

Overheard a snippet from BT talking to Mike Sheahan about the culture at Melbourne and was there a problem. Sheahan said that the word was that there is a problem between Cameron Schwab and Chris Connolly. Maybe it all stems from how James was given his marching orders last year. From that there are other issues. I thought that Chris had been advised to not get involved in the "coaching" area.I didnt hear the whole conversation, maybe someone else did and I have given it more merit than it deserves.

How does something like this get out. Why can't we keep in-fighting within the Club and get it sorted. Why can other Clubs keep these things out of the press.

If Green was imtimating that the players are not happy with the Club, is it one person or is it a Club policy. You would have thought that the players would have after all this time moved on from how they were feeling about James. Is there an outside influence who used to be close to the Club stirring the pot.

On the other hand I heard Beamer talking after the game on Sunday and was really impressed with his answers. I would think that if Green was honest with himself he would give up the captaincy next year and hand it over to Beamer with VC Frawley and Trengove.

Great call that. Beamer is the logical answer for the next 3~5 yrs and to stick solid with our leadership group whatever tf that means.

I'm at a lunch on Friday that includes inner sanctum Bailey Sheehan connolly balmy and Neil daniher. Maybe danners could assist in connollys position he's great passionate and could've got an extra 20k MFC supporters on SundY.

I'm sure everyone here has huge faith in the club or else they would have ditched it a decade or two ago. We have to face it that we are a second rate club and all the venting of frustration is perfectly justified given our miserable past half century.

I dont know that were a second RATE club....but were definitiely playing second fiddle football ( at present )

As for Junior. I still cannot come to terms that the forced retirement of a 34 year old player could have caused so much angst amongst the playing group. How many players in the competition have played to such an advanced age? Not many I feel. And we are not a wealthy club existing in a perennial premiership window who can afford to keep a favourite son just because there may be room for him.

I couldnt see that this is really an issue other than for those who themsleves might feel they are in the firing line for the next round of DCM's. If youre performing to the level expected then you wont have a worry. For some this might have been a rude wake up call that the club is exiting its softie culture...and thats good..Keep them keen !

As I have said before if the old won't go away then the new won't come. If there are some players still upset that Junior has gone then perhaps the culling has not gone far enough and there may be still some players around that lack the moral fibre (as demonstrated by some of our highly paid leadership group) to lead this club into a brighter future.

see above

Similar things happened last decade to St Kilda and Essendon. Blight and Knights got crucified for culling the stubborn dead wood. Bailey might be next to pay the price of failed culture change . But I am now starting to think our inertia and lack of forward progress may not be entirely his fault.

I dont think Bailey will ever ben crucified for the early years of his tenure. In many ways he took to that task admirably. The cull was enacted, as was necessary and the real job of getting on with building and winning was commenced. . Its that we dont seem to have much of a clue at many times about winning that irks many. Its not actually whether you do win as such ( though thats far preferable ) its the notion of whether theres a methodology in place to achieve this.

Good team know how to craft or invent a win, ours seems like the raffle wheel has just fallen our way at times. Often not convincing and especially against teams that offer comporable if not superior opposition.

Edited by belzebub59

Great call that. Beamer is the logical answer for the next 3~5 yrs and to stick solid with our leadership group whatever tf that means.

I'm at a lunch on Friday that includes inner sanctum Bailey Sheehan connolly balmy and Neil daniher. Maybe danners could assist in connollys position he's great passionate and could've got an extra 20k MFC supporters on SundY.

That is a very interesting line up of people....can you give any more info?? What is the lunch all about, wish i knew of it!!

Can anyone confirm this for me, and please, I'm not starting rumours...

Aparently, yesterday afternoon, Tony Shaw was on the radio (not sure what station, but I'm told it is the same station that Hinch is normally on), he was speaking to the host regarding the Neil Craig departure. They then moved on about something else, and their words got mixed up and Tony Shaw made a comment "are you talking about Cameron Schwab about to quit Melbourne?". The particular question wasn't answered, and the quickly moved on to a different topic.

Now, I know the above sounds vauge, I am told this story from my mother (who is a Melbourne member) as she heard it. I didn't hear it, but I'm interested to know if anyone else did hear the comments? She may have got the comments mixed up, but as I said, I'm not here starting rumours, just want to know if something was said? I am not in Victoria, so I can't be more exact with stations, times, etc.

Apologies for puting this in the Brad Green thread, but I didn't want to start a new thread at the risk of it being incorrect. It could relate to the comments about the alledged unrest at the MFC.

Cheers

Just watched the interview, and I gotta say, some of the crap in this thread is just scaremongering. Sure Greeny didn't handle the tough questions well but they were tough questions. Yes, he wasn't prepared to deny Schwab and Connoly don't see eye to eye, but that's not surprising. They are very different people and I'm sure have different ideas about how to do things. Same as any business. Nothing to see here other than that imo.

And for those calling for a new captain, if you'll remember J Mac was horrendous the first year or so. Give the bloke a go, seriously, some of you need to take a chill pill and enjoy the ride it's going to be awesome.

Can anyone confirm this for me, and please, I'm not starting rumours...

Ask her what time it was and I will check the audio for you...

That is a very interesting line up of people....can you give any more info?? What is the lunch all about, wish i knew of it!!

Sorry I got a by excited. It's barassi Sheehan northey balme and daniher

Boy did I get that wrong

Just watched the interview, and I gotta say, some of the crap in this thread is just scaremongering. Sure Greeny didn't handle the tough questions well but they were tough questions. Yes, he wasn't prepared to deny Schwab and Connoly don't see eye to eye, but that's not surprising. They are very different people and I'm sure have different ideas about how to do things. Same as any business. Nothing to see here other than that imo.

And for those calling for a new captain, if you'll remember J Mac was horrendous the first year or so. Give the bloke a go, seriously, some of you need to take a chill pill and enjoy the ride it's going to be awesome.

Cheers AJ, around 5pm or maybe a bit after.

Sorry I got a by excited. It's barassi Sheehan northey balme and daniher

Boy did I get that wrong

Aah so it is memory lane Lunch....still very interesting, but the Bailey factor would have made it gold. Mike Sheahan doesn't deserve any MFC free lunch after the carp he wrote on us last week.

Give him heaps from me!!!!demon_cool.gif

Love Greeny but he doesnt present that well i suppose if he gets the most out of his players and puts in inspirational performances himself then all good im still not sure he has a permanent position anywhere though and as A captain we Need grunt, solidarity and consistent performances. Beemer still for mine with great a great vice and Trengove/grimes maybe

I'm chillin and can't wait for that ride. We get a scalp against a good side b4 the yrs out and win the games we should....what'll be will be ., Kay sera sera

Having watched that link, some of you guys need to submit resumes for Days of Our Lives scripting.

Agree, talk about over reacting.

No way near as bad as people are talking it up to be, thought he handled him self reasonably well.

spot on brendan. apart from the verbal tics - sharp audible intake of breath, the clicking tongue as he starts to respond - and they can be put down to inexperience, he handled that fine.

sorry to be seeing clouds around cameron schwab, however, not so much from what Green said so much as the questions he was asked.

I've just finished watching the replay of the programme and I think it was line and length what you would expect from a club captain in these circumstances. There are some people punching at shadows around here if they have any problems with it.

I think an adequate diagnosis would be that some of our supporters are suffering from a form of paranoia that can be called TSF*.

* TSF = Tom Scully Fatigue

I've just finished watching the replay of the programme and I think it was line and length what you would expect from a club captain in these circumstances. There are some people punching at shadows around here if they have any problems with it.

I think an adequate diagnosis would be that some of our supporters are suffering from a form of paranoia that can be called TSF*.

* TSF = Tom Scully Fatigue

Or worse