Tom Scully

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
What ever has to happen has to happen NOW! or this will just continue to destablise the club and to me that is more damaging then loosing Scully himself!!!

If this minor blip on the speedhump of life is destabilising the club and the players then we haven't a snowballs chance in hell of ever being a power team. Players come and go all the time but clubs survive and thrive.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going crazy reading all this crap. It all seems pretty obvious to me what is going on:

- scully has been offerred a ridiculous amount of money for someone basically unproven

- it would be a very bad look for the afl and gws if a 20 yo unproven talent turned down $1m per season

- therefore, the afl are doing everything in their power (and let's face it they make the rules up as they go) to get the deal done including blocking third party deals and offering maximum compensation

- mfc has no choice but to rollover to receive the aforementioned compensation. We can't not play scully because the afl won't condone this and would threaten our level of compensation - remember, they can change the rules as often as they like

- IMO, scully has more or less been told he is going whether he likes it or not

Based on all this my summation is that he is gone but all is not lost:

- the compensation could be very, very good- we could end up with two really good players instead of one

- I am not convinced scully will be an out and out star. He is massively over-hyped both on this site and in the media. Even gws, I suspect, would be having moments of doubt. His kicking is average at best, he is unable to break a tackle and his frame doesnt look like one that will easily be built up into the type of body required in the modern game. His strengths are fitness and determination but it takes much more than that to be a 'gun'. I would be much more concerned about losing trengove or watts.

The goose is cooked folks but I think we will move on from this quickly and possibly look back in a couple of years and think - wow, we got a great deal.

The only real downside is potential delay in our window as our compensatory picks will be three years behind in development. But it is only one player... We must also make sure we get longer term contracts sorted on all our young guns so we don't have to go through this again next year.

Finally, i need to say this. Any attempts by scully / his management / the afl / gws to paint mfc in a bad light to justify the move are an absolute disgrace and must be refuted aggressively. Take the money and run Tom it is you right to do so. But to try to besmirch the reputation of a 150 yo institutuion that used it's precious number 1 pick on you, gave you the famous no 31 and has vigorously defended your reputation throughout this entire saga is plain wrong. Just go.

Absolutley brilliant post, hit the nail squarely on the head, end of story!! well said that man

Edited by tarzan16

If this minor blip on the speedhump of life is destabilising the club and the players then we haven't a snowballs chance in hell of ever being a power team. Players come and go all the time but clubs survive and thrive.

There is no way this is destabilising the club. They are all professionals and the players probably couldn't give a rat's about the politics of the whole affair.

Imagine how it would be if every time someone in your workplace was head-hunted by another company, the whole place fell apart - those are the kinds of things that senior management take care of, and if they see fit to pay top dollar in order to stop someone being head-hunted, then so be it - they usually have their reasons.

We all need to understand that for the club to offer the same as GWS each player on our list would need to take a $11,000 per year pay cut. Forget the pacts of the past they are not relevant in this instance.

I'm sure in a couple of years the group that will stick together will form similar pacts.

I 'm surprised by how easily posters think our club and it players can turn to water due to protracted contract negotiations with Tom Scully...

Get a grip.

And stop giving the club so many excuses.

Brad Green isn't having an awful year because of the 'Tom Scully distraction.'

1. We aren't being toyed with. We have given a contract - it will accepted or it won't.

2. We will be compensated for the loss of Tom should he choose to go.

3. There is no evidence that we are being lied to by Tom or his camp.

4. The players are getting on with it - we and the media are not.

Edited by rpfc

Cyril Rioli signed without any fanfare......

and Daisy Thomas hasnt

And over the years Davey and Green have had protracted negotiations and Frawleys contract was done with no fanfare at all...

This goes to prove ....ummm..some negotiations are easier than others.

and Daisy Thomas hasnt

And over the years Davey and Green have had protracted negotiations and Frawleys contract was done with no fanfare at all...

This goes to prove ....ummm..some negotiations are easier than others.

Nutbean, consider this a first and last warning... stop applying logic to this topic!

I dont really think we will ever get the true picture, did he sign in October and all of the rumour and innuendo has just been posturing to take the focus off the real reason which is $$$$? what is the AFL's role in all of this? or has Scully been true to his word and hasn't signed anything?

Its gotten to a point where I am totally over it, if he stays great, if he doesn't well that is fine to. I must admit my feelings towards Scully have been negatively effected by this whole scenario and the manner in which is has been handled it has shown great naivety on his part, which I guess is acceptable given his age.

Some people understand what is important in life. You can not stop the ageing process, sickness or death no matter how much money you have. Furthermore, all the things you accumulate through life must be left behind in the end. This aspect would be far beyond the grasp of a young 20 year old who has demonstrated a single-mindedness towards his football from such a young age.

This is the likely reason why GWS have targeted Scully, as with age comes experience and perspective, a more worldly person would realise that GWS have nothing to offer whatsoever.

Reality.

This is sure to disappoint a few people on here who are certain this whole saga is affecting the playing group.

I never understood this distraction argument - I have no problem with the argument that it could be affecting Tom's game as it may be on his mind. But i would think the group wouldnt waste a minute of time when they are trying to win games or training thinking about will he or wont he stay

Yes - they did have a pact of sorts - I wonder if Gary Ablett Jnr was part of that pact at Geelong ?

These times and pay levels offered are unprecendented. Some will walk away from the lure of huge money and some wont.

Ablett had given 8-9 years great service, won two premierships, a Brownlow and multiple MVP's for his club. He was also being pushed out by the coach and had his family up north in his ear telling him to go. On top of this he was underpaid on his last contract at Geelong due to exploding from 2007 onwards. Still not ideal for him to leave the Cats but there were other things going on there than just the money.

A number of posts have been deleted because they questioned Tom's honesty which is in direct contravention of Demonland's wishes.

This topic is off limits at the request of the owner of the site. Second offenses will result in posters being suspended.

Fair enough then. I think one of my posts was deleted but can you please delete #608 as well then?

Guest Guy Rigoni

This is sure to disappoint a few people on here who are certain this whole saga is affecting the playing group.

yeah sure, you really think he would let it slip in an interview if the players were put off by Scully's actions?

Ok, this is officially getting weird! :)

Getting?? this thread got into bizzare realms ages ago.

yeah sure, you really think he would let it slip in an interview if the players were put off by Scully's actions?

I knew this response was coming... however, if he had said he was certain Scully was going, I'm sure you would have taken it as the gospel truth?

Guest Guy Rigoni

I knew this response was coming... however, if he had said he was certain Scully was going, I'm sure you would have taken it as the gospel truth?

Well no, because rarely do players get involved in each others contract discussions.

Well no, because rarely do players get involved in each others contract discussions.

Then why would you think they are affected by it?

Maybe, just maybe, they really are not affected by it at all.

Edited by hardtack

yep., pretty much.. Theres nothing to be drawn from Trengoves lack of knowledge regarding Scully's intention.

Some players ..especially those whove known each other for yonks might have such a relationship whereby they entrust each other with certain viewpoints and info. But I sense Scully tells no-one anything.

Hed probably have his suspicions but that would be it.