• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Tom Scully

And here lies the issue. What an awful situation his management have created here. If they plan on him being a long-term Melbourne player, they are painting him in a terrible light to those that should be supporting him. What management would allow a situation like that to play out? My only answer to that is a management that couldn't care less what Melbourne supporters think of their player, because he won't be a Melbourne player for much longer. I can't think of many uglier or disapointing situations playing out in the years that I have followed our great club.

And what about Tom's management?

If he goes to GWS how much more do they rake off his contract than what they would get from him re-signing with the MFC?

Isn't it as much about the extra money (commission) they would receive?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant believe people compare tom scully's situation to other players who hold off negotiations until the end of the year. Trengove made the comment that lots of playes hold off talks. IMO there is a very little number of cases that are even remotley similar to Tom Scully's...

A serious, multi million offer is on the table. The media attention is beyond a joke. The club rumoured to be interested have confirmed their interest and publically discussed that their offer is on the table. The only other case similar to this is Garry Ablett.

IMO Scully's contract saga is even more damning than Abletts case was.

Ablett was walking out on field success for the next few years and a club where he had won flags. Scully wouldnt be quite as assured that the Dees will be capable of what Geelong did/are doing

Ablett had every reason to love Geelong FC; 2 flags, family connections etc. Scully has no reason to love the dees other than playing ~30 games with them

Just a quick note on JT:

Wonder how he's going to personally feel if TS goes. He's gone in to bat for Tom the most of any player this year IIRC, and probably the most of anyone at the club. He's really stuck his neck out for Tom, over and over again. If Tom goes, would he see it as a betrayal of all this trust that he's put in Tom?

nothing a sling tackle wouldnt fix!

I cant believe people compare tom scully's situation to other players who hold off negotiations until the end of the year. Trengove made the comment that lots of playes hold off talks. IMO there is a very little number of cases that are even remotley similar to Tom Scully's...

A serious, multi million offer is on the table. The media attention is beyond a joke. The club rumoured to be interested have confirmed their interest and publically discussed that their offer is on the table. The only other case similar to this is Garry Ablett.

IMO Scully's contract saga is even more damning than Abletts case was.

Ablett was walking out on field success for the next few years and a club where he had won flags. Scully wouldnt be quite as assured that the Dees will be capable of what Geelong did/are doing

Ablett had every reason to love Geelong FC; 2 flags, family connections etc. Scully has no reason to love the dees other than playing ~30 games with them

The situation is unique, the timing is not.

That is what Jack Trengove was saying.

The situation is unique, the timing is not.

That is what Jack Trengove was saying.

And thats the point that is being missed.

The Scully situation has reached fever point driven by the unique circumstances x media frenzy.

The three main points

1/ This is not the first protracted contract negotiation

2/ Does the "uniqueness" mean that the club should treat the situation differently ? i.e sign now or nick off ? What is the downside for the club not knowing the outcome before seasons end and how does this affect the club any differently from other contracts finalised at seasons end ?

2/ This will not be the last and with FA coming in there will be a lot more of these frenzies as high profile high value players will be able to move with more ease than ever before

Edited by nutbean

Just a quick note on JT:

Wonder how he's going to personally feel if TS goes. He's gone in to bat for Tom the most of any player this year IIRC, and probably the most of anyone at the club. He's really stuck his neck out for Tom, over and over again. If Tom goes, would he see it as a betrayal of all this trust that he's put in Tom?

Its' a good question - I wonder how most players feel about players moving on. They would harbour no ill feeling if they went for more opportunity but Beamer made his feelings known about Brock leaving. Besides Beamer ( who makes it clear how he feels !) I wonder how most footballers would feel about any footballers who leave their club for bigger money ?

Guest The Tweed Pig

And thats the point that is being missed.The Scully situation has reached fever point driven by the unique circumstances x media frenzy.

The three main points

1/ This is not the first protracted contract negotiation

2/ Does the "uniqueness" mean that the club should treat the situation differently ? i.e sign now or nick off ? What is the downside for the club not knowing the outcome before seasons end and how does this affect the club any differently from other contracts finalised at seasons end ?

2/ This will not be the last and with FA coming in there will be a lot more of these frenzies as high profile high value players will be able to move with more ease than ever before

I'll tell you another point that's being missed by some. Right now Scully is at best a B grader who isn't in the best 100 players in the league and probably not the best 150. And he's being offered 75-100% more than he's worth.

I'll tell you another point that's being missed by some. Right now Scully is at best a B grader who isn't in the best 100 players in the league and probably not the best 150. And he's being offered 75-100% more than he's worth.

The fact is the lad is being offered contracts based on potential. The subjective debate is whether his potential will actualise to the amounts he will be paid now and how quickly that will happen.

I think this is very valid. So much about Tom is all 'future based". His value by many is accorded by way of his potential and where he "might' be in 2-3 seasons. This is where the equation becomes very expensive.

Theres no dounbt this kid has a brilliant footy mind. He will become very good. How good though ? Well depends on who's pump you use as to how inflated the forecast becomes.

This for many is the thing that sticks in the craw...is how much to pay whilst he becomes whatever he becomes, and wil that be indeed what the hype insists ?

If GWS wasnt looming...what would this lads value, expectation and such be ??

So much about all this is skewed because of the GWS factor.

Edited by High Tower
edited last line

If GWS wasnt looming...what would this lads value, expectation and such be ??

Of course it is skewed.

But Tom's influence on the field is not where his influence ends - he is the ultimate professional off the field and obviously a very driven individual.

Our lack of decent leaders amongst the playing group should illustrate how important driven kids like Tom can be.

I realise it isn't just him that would be considered a strong leader amongst our under 23s, but that aspect would be a huge loss if he does decide to go.

Of course it is skewed.

But Tom's influence on the field is not where his influence ends - he is the ultimate professional off the field and obviously a very driven individual.

Our lack of decent leaders amongst the playing group should illustrate how important driven kids like Tom can be.

I realise it isn't just him that would be considered a strong leader amongst our under 23s, but that aspect would be a huge loss if he does decide to go.

Tom is an introvert who can't/won't hold his own press conferences at the moment. Hardly leader material...

Edited by PaulRB

Tom is an introvert who can't/won't hold his own press conferences at the moment. Hardly leader material...

With all due respect - extraversion isn't leadership.

And someone's leadership isn't defined by whether or not that will have a debatedly helpful presser.

What questions do you think he will answer so that they won't continue to be asked?

He has always said he will wait till the end of the season and that is what he would say once again.

A press conference will feed the hungry journos but they are like pigeons - it will just mean they will hang around longer.

The next presser I want to see is either him re-signing or him in plain clothes.

And that can wait until September.

Please change this to read "All of this is skewed because of the GWS factor"

With all due respect - extraversion isn't leadership.

but its pretty fair to say Introversion isnt !!

Guest hangon007

Rubbish players prefer to let their actions do the talking on the field ... not off the field.

Last time I looked players want to play the game & should be judged by that.

Guest The Tweed Pig

The fact is the lad is being offered contracts based on potential. The subjective debate is whether his potential will actualise to the amounts he will be paid now and how quickly that will happen.

With respect Nut, you're stating the obvious. The offer isn't predicated on his good looks.

What I'm saying is that Melbourne's offer is superb, it's double what he's worth, and the fact that he won't commit until the end of the season says much. He's clearly strongly considering going, because the constant speculation is unwanted by him, his club, his teammates, and his supporters. He'd be able to focus on footy far better without the distraction. Now people can say that it's not a distraction, but it is.

If Scully is definitely staying then come to the negotiating table to tweak the terms of Melbourne's fabulous offer. If you're going then man up and let the club know so that they can start planning a future without you.

Highly unfair - besides the fact that leadership is not all about press conferences, we see Jack Trengove as leadership material because he handles himself well in front of the cameras and the only thing they want to talk to him about is Tom Scully. If I was Tom Scully I wouldnt be facing the press now either - he has said what he needs to say and thats it - all he would be doing is answering the same rumours differently worded and give the same answers.

Rubbish players prefer to let their actions do the talking on the field ... not off the field.

Last time I looked players want to play the game & should be judged by that.

playing and leading are often two different things

With respect Nut, you're stating the obvious. The offer isn't predicated on his good looks.

What I'm saying is that Melbourne's offer is superb, it's double what he's worth, and the fact that he won't commit until the end of the season says much. He's clearly strongly considering going, because the constant speculation is unwanted by him, his club, his teammates, and his supporters. He'd be able to focus on footy far better without the distraction. Now people can say that it's not a distraction, but it is.

If Scully is definitely staying then come to the negotiating table to tweak the terms of Melbourne's fabulous offer. If you're going then man up and let the club know so that they can start planning a future without you.

And I have suggested previously that if I was his manager and Tom has handled all the heat so far I would be saying - dont commit now because there still could be more to fall out of the tree. Performances to the end of the year ? coaching position ? added incentives/sweeteners ( from either party ?)

Alistair would rightly be saying " Tom, between now and the end of the season the offer aint gonna get any worse"

Guest hangon007

playing and leading are often two different things

Tom shows many, many leadership qualities on the field ... if you or others cant see that ... I rest my case your honour.

This has truly become a kangaroos court on a witch hunt .... I will say it again.

"Just make sure the bastards shot straight."

Edited by hangon007

I agree that hwe has only the two offers to think about.

I disagree that he has to do it now.

He has always maintained he will decide in September.

As tiresome as Blucher's "in between training sessions" meme can be, to decide now would be giving in to the pressure and he should hold steadfast to what he has said all along. And it makes it look like all he cares about is the cash - as he signs once our offer got high enough.

He can wait, and so can we.

I don't see the issue, if this is a distraction for the club then they need more help than I thought.

1. The players shouldn't worry about this, if Colin Sylvia is upset about the Scully negotaiations then that is the height of hypocrisy.

2. The Admin should get on with planning for both eventualities (and not tell David Schwarz they are - because why should they tell him)

3. And Tim Harrington should plan for Tom signing a $600k contract, or having an extra $600k to spread around...

Distraction mitigated and problem over.

Edited by rpfc

but its pretty fair to say Introversion isnt !!

He may be introverted when it comes to public attention and having a twitter account, but that doesn't mean he is an introvert at the club, nor does it mean that he cannot influence those around him with the way he goes about his footy.

Nathan Jones felt this way before Tom had played a game.

Indeed.

It's a distraction externally. For some. Media. Nellies.

JT supports this.

Bring on September.

He has said and maintained he understands Scully's view and respects it... support. ??? who knows. Might be a stretch that.

Trengove is playing a very straight bat here. As is his only real option. Very unfair how hes been made to cop so much that really Scully should front for...imho

Im sorry but the Flat Earth Society wont acknowledge such reason.

Did you not see my reply ?

I would add two more comments

Alistair Lynch Tom, you have done the hard yards by not caving to media pressure and committing - why cave now"

And - if indeed he has committed to GWS and he announces that he will stop being played and will lose his match payments.

I am not the flat earth society - I just think I am arguing with people who believe that all actions are ( should be) made with the club first and foremost to mind. Whilst my passion and emotion understands this and would love it be the case it is just not always so. I hate what this doing to my passionate side but I reluctantly accept it logic wise.

Taking this argument to it's cold emotionless end ( and to the place where Velocity do not give a rats tossbag about our club - remember they are representing Tom and not the MFC)

1/ The offer wont get worse between now and the end of the season

2/ The offer could be sweetened the longer this plays out

3/ If he hasnt decided there is no downside to him not committing before the end of the season

4/ If he has decided to go or signed, lied whatever - then you have deniability at the end of the season " i just made up my mind as i said i would at seasons end"

5/ If he has decided to go and advises he loses match payments.

Please give me a FACT as to why he should sign now - not from the clubs perspective or from the supporters perspective but from Tom's perspective.