Finds of 2011

Guest Gotzy15

163 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Gotzy15

If anyone wishes to take a break from the Scully threads for a couple of minutes it would be interesting to see what the thoughts are on the biggest surprise packet/positive of this season to date.

Stef Martin for me.

It has been expected that Watts would show a bit in 2011 but do not know anyone who would have predicted the emergence

of Martin at the end of 2010.

Hey Old dee, i half expected you to say Jamie Bennell spending some time at Casey?! :P

Watts starting to come good is the biggest posative for me. Martin, Howe, Nicho, Evans etc have all been great suprises, but the biggest posative from 2011 is taht JW is on the right track to become a consistant game breaker

Hey Old dee, i half expected you to say Jamie Bennell spending some time at Casey?! :P

Watts starting to come good is the biggest posative for me. Martin, Howe, Nicho, Evans etc have all been great suprises, but the biggest posative from 2011 is taht JW is on the right track to become a consistant game breaker

Now now DemonWa I do not hate the guy I just don't think he is up to AFL standard.

I have said elsewhere that I feel sorry for him and I suspect we are crucifying him the way he is being played.

But that is not the reason for this thread.

All you say is correct but I am sticking to Martin.

Of course the next 8 games could show a different result.

Edited by old dee

Guest Gotzy15

What about Howe?

The guy is going to be a gun

Howe was going to be next on the list of possibilities but i thought 7 options was enough.in hindsight i probably should have had him on there as i agree- the kid has a lot to like!!

Depends what you define as find I suppose.

Initially I couldn't split them, but T_U's post made me reassess. In terms of find as in hidden skill that was a surprise, it has to go to Martin IMO. Tappy, Trenner's and Watts etc have not really had a chance to show their stuff before this year so I wouldn't say they are finds. Martin becoming a good ruckman/forward is a find.

It's been good to be rewarded for defending Watts against maniacs his entire short career.

4 me the best find has been BULL TAPSCOTT, simply because we need a bull at a gate type with no FEAR, Rangas great, but TAPPY has scary size to throw around, IMO this sort of player is what we have craved for in this club, team, for............a bloody long time. Tappy & Ranga the 1% ers that go unnoticed but can lift the whole team, both would be welcome down the road at the bikie club.

For mine:

- Tappy - such a unit. Going to head to the club shop to get me a 35

- Nicho - how this guy got through two rookie trials and was passed up is beyond me. Nicho is going to be a JET.

- Howe - cannot wait til he takes a proper hanger

- Trengove - in and among all the furore over TS Trenners has quickly become a rock in our midfield. We really missed him when he was suspended. Sensational.

Interesting one. Martin has certainly been the biggest 'find' as such because he's gone from a no-where player to a low a-grade 90's style utility player. Can really play in any position and with a tiny bit more tweaking can be a really great footballer for the MFC.

For me though, the emergence of Jack has to win it. Alot were having doubts, even myself but he's dug the graves for the haters and than filled it over with hard aggressive yet quality football.

He truly could be a god.

Martin meant almost nothing to me at the end of 2010. I forgot at times that he was even on our list... now he is very, very important and it was incredible what he did whilst Jamar was gone.

Voted for Trengove by accident because i misinterpreted the question.

Martin meant almost nothing to me at the end of 2010. I forgot at times that he was even on our list... now he is very, very important and it was incredible what he did whilst Jamar was gone.

Voted for Trengove by accident because i misinterpreted the question.

Excellent point re Martin and I whole heartedly agree re for us at Demonland..but overall in the league has been the rise of Nathan Fyfe- quite remarkable.

No doubt for mine: Stefan Martin.

Watts I had faith in. Martin I can't say the same.

Yep, agreed. I had hoped that Martin might step up with the rule changes, but even at my most optimistic I didn't see this degree of improvement coming. Easily the most pleasant surprise of the year.

It was always just a matter of time for Watts IMO.

4 me the best find has been BULL TAPSCOTT

+1

This guy just stepped into the team like he was born to it. A lovely raking long and accurate kick that we desperately needed out of the backline, and toughness and grunt that you just can't train into someone.

Most of these are Not finds perse'...

1. Stefan Martins ruckwork & versatility around the ground?--------------- Already a known quantity as to he could ruck, for mine. Just a question of If he could recover from last year.
  2. Brent Moloneys emergence as a consistent & elite on-baller? Just carrying over from last year.
  3. Jack Trengoves leadership & courage? Following on from last year, natural progression.
  4. Emergence of Jack Watts as a key position player? It's good to see he's grown in confidence, to start to, 'Take It On' !!!
  5. Jordan Gysberts ability to accumulate & win contested footy? IMO not as good as last year, Yet.
  6. Jordie McKenzies tackling and grunt work? Same as last Year.
  7. Improvement in Nathan Jones as an on Baller? Nice to see him step further up as an on field leader.
  8. Other? This is where your question Rated for me... >

Nicholson & Evans & Howe,,, Plus Cook's emergence so soon, plus the likelihood of TMcDonald, and Davis,,, LIKELY Looking Types!!! In short,,, the drafting of our recruiters is 'THE' Find of the Year.

Add young Maric's new found enthusiasm over the Pre Season & early season. + more to come... Lawrence, Fitzpatrick et al.

***** Gawns early progression. *****

These are the things that excite my tastebuds.

Edit: I forgot the Obvious, TappDauwg !

Edited by dee-luded

Martin - as a serious ruckman

Tapscott

Nicholson

Howe

Bail

Gawnius Maximus

All great revelations - I include Martin despite the objections of some as his ability to play first ruck has been a revelation to most here.

I really hope that the selectors will be able to get us all a glimpse at least of Cook, Tom McDonald, and maybe Davis before the year is out, and maybe even another look at Tom McNamara who seems to be coming along well in a new role as a taller mid at Casey.

Frankly I would value seeing all of these get a gig more that seeing us KOd in week 1 of the finals, should we actually scrape in.