Maric - Whats he got to do?

PaulRB

I see Maric & Jetta @ about the same area of their maturity.

They both look to be stepping up with their belief in themselves and in they're games, and are starting to show a bit more authority.

Maric & Jetta need to really build their engines bigtime to realise a regular spot in the midfield/forward areas.

I know they'll do it.

If you know they'll do it you're writing off other players; who isn't going to make it? I reckon there are plenty further forward in the queue.

Jetta has shown little up forward IMO; Barry Prendergast even acknowledged that Jetta, having generally played forward for Melbourne so far, is being played out of position.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to read this after a week off this forum for some sarcastic comments about Morton .Maric got a game and did more than enough to hold his spot .Evans is now playing well in the 2nds .Bennell and Jetta are probably fighting for one spot and Wonna is B.I.T.

With the time it takes to develop pocket players the ilk of Betts , Davis , Schneider ,Milne etc it shows that the awareness around goals must be coupled with fierce tackling .We have five guys going for one or two spots but none of them are the complete package yet . The best crumber, snap for goal, tackler will get the spot.

With the time it takes to develop pocket players the ilk of Betts , Davis , Schneider ,Milne etc it shows that the awareness around goals must be coupled with fierce tackling .We have five guys going for one or two spots but none of them are the complete package yet . The best crumber, snap for goal, tackler will get the spot.

Davey has to go back in there IMHO, it's a tough job - Davis and Yarran have opted out for HB roles.

We need Strauss, Tapscott and hopefully Blease to come on as kickers in the back half.

Davey has to go back in there IMHO, it's a tough job - Davis and Yarran have opted out for HB roles.

We need Strauss, Tapscott and hopefully Blease to come on as kickers in the back half.

I prefer Davey there also-which makes it tougher for these guys .

If you know they'll do it you're writing off other players; who isn't going to make it? I reckon there are plenty further forward in the queue.

Jetta has shown little up forward IMO; Barry Prendergast even acknowledged that Jetta, having generally played forward for Melbourne so far, is being played out of position.

I'm not writing anyone off rogue. Again you seem to misread whats put.

The thing I know is that they will put in more hard work over the Pre season to build their engines,,, as they are showing growing maturity & desire.

This growing maturity and desire will culminate in improved all round ability/self belief.

From what I've seen, I like Jetta's game. He displays a willingness to mix it & do the 1% as well as neat linking work and an intuitiveness around goal. These traits will get better and show more often as he grows further in confidence.

He is well ahead of others who are yet to show they're willing participants in the hurly burly. Jetta is a stayer, & a keeper.

Maric is a bit more creative by foot but is naturally selfish. he needs to and will learn to become a team player as he's starting to show, as he needs to do these team things just to get a gig.

The others you refer to,,, you'd better mention those yourself as I don't know which ones your alluding to. You can comment on them.

Edited by dee-luded

I think Maric has all the skills to be a very good AFL player, he just needs to keep working on his defensive side and keeping involved in the game for longer periods.

Agree - needs to work harder defencivly, good around goals though.

I think Bennell has the potential to be a really good player, good when he gets the ball, just needs to get more of it.

I think we saw yesterday why Addam is not a regular best 22 at Melbourne, and IMO, never will be. After a creditable performance in Darwin, he was woeful against the Hawks. His defensive pressure was non-existent, and his overall workrate was way below what is expected. Unfortunately, this has become the norm with Addam .... one or two decent games, followed by one or more where he doesn't work nearly hard enough. Good teams can tolerate fluctuations in form, but not fluctuations in effort. I'd love to be proven wrong (because I think Addam has some talent), but I've run out of patience.

I think we saw yesterday why Addam is not a regular best 22 at Melbourne, and IMO, never will be. After a creditable performance in Darwin, he was woeful against the Hawks. His defensive pressure was non-existent, and his overall workrate was way below what is expected. Unfortunately, this has become the norm with Addam .... one or two decent games, followed by one or more where he doesn't work nearly hard enough. Good teams can tolerate fluctuations in form, but not fluctuations in effort. I'd love to be proven wrong (because I think Addam has some talent), but I've run out of patience.

This could be said for the other 21 players that played yesterday

Little Harsh when the midfield delivery was so Hap Hazard...our whole list needs some toughening up, not just Addam.

This could be said for the other 21 players that played yesterday

Fair point Dr, the whole group is far too 'hot and cold' at the moment. My concern with Addam though, is that this has become a trait throughout his career.

Little Harsh when the midfield delivery was so Hap Hazard...our whole list needs some toughening up, not just Addam.

Perhaps I'm still grumpy this morning (in fact I'm sure I am!), but what I thought I saw from Addam yesterday wasn't about toughness, it was about work rate. Maybe they are one and the same in some respects. I dunno (exasperation!).

I think he got a black eye early on and it looked like he couldn't see out of it when he came off .

He kicks too hard /runs too fast when kicking as far as I can see but we can fix it .

LJ can show him how to chill his shots on goal.

For goodness sake, Artie "Maric's an elite kick" Bucco is on this again.

Maric is simply not good enough.

He kicked three goals against mediocre opposition in Darwin and I was hopeful something had shifted but in the first quarter yesterday he showed the same blaze away in hope style of kicking that has always condemned his game.

He contribued two goals to the margin - one his miss which was a gimme for a small forward running at goal, and the other that hopeless handpass that set up the Hawks on the rebound.

He simply does not get enough of it to kick in hope the way he does. It's ingrained and it's not going away.

And he gives us no defensive pressure in our forward line either. Sorry, to say it because I don't like bagging our own but I have never seen anything in Maric that warranted his relatively high drafting and I think the FD later this year will show they agree. The only thing that could save him is if Wona fails to look like a stayer.

Edited by pitmaster

I think Maric is a very good kick but he needs to work on his handballing.

Both his decision-making with his hands and his execution currently fall short of the standard required for a good small forward.

Too many times I've seen him give a handball to a bloke under extreme pressure, handball to a bloke's knees or just miss the target completely.

Given small forwards don't get a lot of ball, they need to make every possession count.

This is one of the areas that is holding him back at the moment IMO.

Given small forwards don't get a lot of ball, they need to make every possession count.

Exactly. Maric isn't a player that makes every possession count.

For him to be effective, he needs to have plenty of touches and become a accumulator. I cannot see that either.

I think Your spot on Deeoldfart, small players and especially small forwards are few in spots between them to go around in the AFL. A small player, rover or small forward MUST get himself the fittest and best engine he can to be ahead of his AFL competitors and small defenders etc.

IMO he doesn't have the desire for such a fitness level and the workrate in a game that comes from this fitness. Time will tell but he's had what 3 or more years to build his tank. He's running out off time & chances to make a go of it.

I think Your spot on Deeoldfart, small players and especially small forwards are few in spots between them to go around in the AFL. A small player, rover or small forward MUST get himself the fittest and best engine he can to be ahead of his AFL competitors and small defenders etc.

IMO he doesn't have the desire for such a fitness level and the workrate in a game that comes from this fitness. Time will tell but he's had what 3 or more years to build his tank. He's running out off time & chances to make a go of it.

Didn't you say just one week ago that you 'know he'll do it'?

you guys dont think the lack of work rate could have something to do with darwin? still being a young player and not that much afl fitness (vfl isnt as fast and you dont have to work as hard) maybe Maric (and some other players) just were a bit cooked.

I think the biggest thing he lacks is a yard of pace to make himself truly dangerous. Without it he struggles to win the ball and to get out of tight situations.

I didn't think he was completely hopeless yesterday though, but I was at the ground not watching on TV.

Didn't you say just one week ago that you 'know he'll do it'?

Yes I did.

I said I think he & Jetta, who I favour, but are slightly different players will make it. Jeeta as a Mid, & Maric as a small forward/mid. He has the talent to do so, but needs a bigger work ethic. So I said i think they'll both make it. But to me Jetta has more 'Grit', more desire than Maric, & more prepared to work hard for it.

Maric probably has more 'talent', but maybe wants someone else to make it happen for him. He has to take a further mental step forward to take the opportunity he's got in front of him & this is where I have my concerns, workrate. = desire.

I said I believe they will, I'm more confident with Jetta, and am still hopefull of Maric, as he improved attitude over Summer. But I'm getting impatient with his lack of fierceness @ the contested loose ball.

So yes a show of faith.

To put this into context, small listed players... We won't really recruit more than one key player IMO this Year unless we trade some off. We need spots for Mcdonald & Davis & Cook. Bate, Warnock & Dunn in the searchlights.

So IMO we'll be looking to small players this Years draft & rookie draft.

So Maric has to show something to excite the pundits, and give some real contested ball winning. Desire, let it show.