Jurrah the Sub?

DEELIRIOUS

Really hope that this doesn't eventuate. Too good a player for it to happen, whether he is in form or not. The Football Department and match comittee would have to be stupid to do such a thing. Have a feeling that Jordie Gysberts might be the sub. Could give Sylvia midfield relief later in the game which could then allow Col to then play as a CHF/FF to kick goals. I guess we'll know Saturday.

Jurrah seems more like a player you would want to sub off.

Let him start the game. He could kick 5 first half goals. Either that, or he'll be fumbling all over the place; if last week was in the balance and Garland didn't go down, I imagine Jurrah would have been subbed off in the 3rd Q.

Hopefully the match committee shows faith in him. He had a good final quarter last week, which will be good for the confidence after a lousy start.

Reckon the sub will be Morton, or Gysberts. I'm hoping for Morton. MacDonald is also a possibility, being named on the bench but I think he is definitely too important defensively and on the rebound.

Also Bennell and Nicholson were named on the ground so they can't be the sub.

the bloke is pure magic, it has disappeared momentarily but it will be back any day

if it was up to me I'd have him one out in the square with nobody else inside 50, let him have a feast of inside 50s, he is just a star one-on-one, he just gets the thing through the big sticks somehow

the bloke is pure magic, it has disappeared momentarily but it will be back any day

if it was up to me I'd have him one out in the square with nobody else inside 50, let him have a feast of inside 50s, he is just a star one-on-one, he just gets the thing through the big sticks somehow

Even if he does get subbed, it's not the end of the world. He'll still just as awesome.

Watts was subbed when he was playing poorly... and it was the moment that kick started his vast improvement of late.

Really hope that this doesn't eventuate. Too good a player for it to happen, whether he is in form or not. The Football Department and match comittee would have to be stupid to do such a thing. Have a feeling that Jordie Gysberts might be the sub. Could give Sylvia midfield relief later in the game which could then allow Col to then play as a CHF/FF to kick goals. I guess we'll know Saturday.

Isn't the theory that the sub should be a serious runner who can outrun the tired opposition in the last 1/4 Thats' not LJ.

Also he still neesd seriuous minding and will occupy a good Tiger defender if starting on the ground.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
Also he still needs serious minding and will occupy a good Tiger defender if starting on the ground.

True. He's still kicking a couple a week even if he isn't doing much else. He only needs a couple of touches to hurt a side so I'd start him on the ground and leave him there unless he was having a real dog of a day.

True. He's still kicking a couple a week even if he isn't doing much else. He only needs a couple of touches to hurt a side so I'd start him on the ground and leave him there unless he was having a real dog of a day.

I'm off to Norway/Sweden next year too!

I have a feeling LJ will turn it on this weekend. The magic will be back

I'd drop him as both a way of discipline and a way for him to find some encouragement & form. Initially I thought I'd Sub: him, as I thought the Darwin game was next week. But I've just checked when I saw him on the interchange, and saw the Darwin game isn't for as couple of weeks. I wan't him back by the Darwin game so I'd drop him Now and play Morton poss' as Sub...

I think we need Bennell's clearing run.

I'd drop him as both a way of discipline and a way for him to find some encouragement & form. Initially I thought I'd Sub: him, as I thought the Darwin game was next week. But I've just checked when I saw him on the interchange, and saw the Darwin game isn't for as couple of weeks. I wan't him back by the Darwin game so I'd drop him Now and play Morton poss' as Sub...

Casey has a bye this week so he won't be finding any form if he is dropped.

Dee man got it in one. I reckon he should have been subbed last week, but around the time the choice was being made, Garland had his issue.

If he's having an off day, you generally know by half time.

Casey has a bye this week so he won't be finding any form if he is dropped.

Yep I knew that, momentarily forgot.

So he can have a rest this week, as far as I'm concerned, then start the climb back prior to Darwin. 2 Matches with Casey, against the Bees & Box Hill would be good, I hope. We shall see, if the selectors have got the cohunas to do it.

Saw a photo in the Age of Jurrah from last week, both his wrists were heavily strapped. Anyone have any ideas as to whether this could be an injury, speaking to a physio it seems an unusual preventative strapping.

At least one of his wrists has been strapped all year.

At least he hasn't got all his fingers stickytaped on like last year.

Saw a photo in the Age of Jurrah from last week, both his wrists were heavily strapped. Anyone have any ideas as to whether this could be an injury, speaking to a physio it seems an unusual preventative strapping.

He's got a Big Bitchy girlfreind, she's a bit rough???

Having Jamar back will be a great benefit to him, it'll take much of the focus off him and hopefully allow him to play a bit more free.

Something i'd like the forward coaching panel to work on with him is blocking space for the other forwards to get a run at the footy, or going up for contests to allow another forward to get easier marks. I'm sure it's a natural thing that can be worked into his game, but currently his leads and weather or not he goes for a marking contest appear to be purely for his self interest. (Not having a go at him, just think this is something that could benefit himself and the team.)

FWIW I'd be leaning towards Morton being the sub, perhaps Gysberts to ease him back in.

I'm warming to Jurrah sub myself.

Gysberts generally plays a good first half when he is fresh and we can leave Sylvia forward more - along with Petterd, Green, Watts, Howe, Bennell doing a defensive job and Jamar/Martin.

Come the second half bring on LJ, put Sylvia and Petterd into the midfield rotation and watch Liam take them apart.

By sitting on the bench he would arguably give us more than what he did in the first 3/4 on Sunday.

It would be a gutsy call from Bailey but lets see what happens.

Edited by the master

Can't see any reason to play him as a sub. He should be on the field from start to finish. He will command a decent defender, taking the pressure off Watts/Green, and he is more than capable of tearing any side to shreds. Why you would waste him on the bench for 2-3 quarters is beyond me. Moreover, he will add little to the side when subbed on as he will roam around the forward line. I'd rather see Morton or Gysberts as sub; Morton can come on and give us fresh legs off half back and through the middle, or Gysberts could give us added firepower in the clearances.

The sub can come from any of the 22 named at the moment. Not sure if people realise benches and subs have to be name 45mins before the game. 5pm Thursday teams just need to name there 22. It is like saying all the players will start in there exact position named, its not going to happen!

The sub can come from any of the 22 named at the moment. Not sure if people realise benches and subs have to be name 45mins before the game.

Thanks, Captain.

5pm Thursday teams just need to name there 22. It is like saying all the players will start in there exact position named, its not going to happen!

Except the sub generally does come from the interchange, so the scenarios are completely different.

His work rate is presently not up to an AFL type standard IMO. And i'm talking lead up to provide options for our mids and half backs as well as his defensive pressure work rate. Gives his direct opponent a free and easy role to run the ball out of our forward line with little i50 pressure.

He's probably not alone in the forward pressure aspect but it's the degree to which he doesn't work that's a worry. You could argue that we probably have others in our forward line who also struggle with their forward pressure side, but i don't see it at the lowish level that Jurrah is at, or not at as the case may be.

I really hope he turns it around somehow, but so far i haven't seen much improvement to this side of his game. He does do these things in very small doses when the mood takes him. But IMO he's one of our weakest links in the forward line given the above at present. No real alternative to pressure him to up the ante a little from the Magoos at this stage.

I would love to see the FD try him through the middle a little more often to provide an outside 'class' option to the mid field mix in short bursts and just to see how he operates through here. That way he's forced to think about his work rate a little and is 'in the game' a little more often. His delivery/pace/kicking skills coming out of the mid field (in short bursts) might add a bit of an X factor for us there and get his mind switched onto the game early.

I see him as Michael Longish potentially (work rate/output/and damage wise), IF he's willing to get his fitness/work rate up going forward and this might see him turn into a handy mid fielder who's able to push forward at times for the odd goal. I would hate to see him continue along his present path as IMO he's stagnating somewhat under the FDs apparent 'status quo' strategy. Although i have seen them switch him into the middle on a few odd occasions. I'd love to see more of this (off the bench in short 5 - 10 minute spurts) for the second half of this season and see how he goes. I'm not saying he wont kick the odd 4 - 5 goal haul in the odd game if they just keep playing him as is. But it's the work rate/consistency/value added/and gradual improvement that is missing atm for me.

Yeah, i know i'll get ragged for saying this lol....so please, feel free to commence with your rants fellow deminions!

B)

Edited by Rusty Nails