• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Tom will consider is the 2 deals after tax,here are the after tax amounts:

$1,000,000 after tax is $576,450

$600,000 after tax is $356,450

So his in pocket difference is $220,000

Even if we come up with a 100k deal,i doubt he'd leave his family for 120k and be a nobody in Western Sydney for 15 years.We also play on the MCG 14+ times a year,GWS will play there once a year if that.Dees are 5 years more advanced than GWS and they'll get flogged by 15 goals every week and Tom will be heavily tagged ala Bulldogs.

All we have to do is find a Juddy deal which the AFL will have to approve and Tom will stay.

He will be able to claim most of that back on boots and washing of his uniform.;)

I'll put this out for discussion: Why does Tom never do media re: Melbourne? In last couple of months Jack Watts and Jack Trengove have been prominent, I have also heard Frawley talk about the club in recent times.

I think the answer to that is pretty simple - why on earth would he ? Put TS in front of a microphone and what do you think the first question he is going to be asked ? ( and then reasked 50 different ways)

Plus all the other Melbourne players mentioned here end up doing is answering questions about his contract anyway.......

It's an interesting article because Sheehan has real quotes from real sources... none of this hearsay that some journos of this world go for.

Personally I think we're every chance of keeping him now. It would take a pretty questionable character to turn down 600k and the chance to stay with friends, family, teammates and a team on the rise that invested a #1 pick... for a more lucrative contract with a soulless franchise. If you go back to Scully's presser earlier in the year, he admits that any GWS offer would be looked at, but that it "then goes back to your values..."

If nothing else this article puts the "he has already signed with GWS" claims to bed. Thanks Mike.

Edited by Sylvia Saint

I personally think it is easier to turn down 5 million dollars when the other offer is 3 million. But that's just me, and I love this club.

BTW I think this proves that what Scully said in March was true. GWS didnt need to formally speak to anyone close to Scully, they put the rumor out there in a number of ways which alerts the world, including Scully, of their interest. I think the only way a journo knows that 'he is 98%' gone is if they think the GWS offer is 98% way too good to turn down.

Next game at the MCG I hope us supporters give Scully one almighty roar! Stuff like that can only help us when this young man makes one of the most important decisions in his young life.

Edited by whelan45

I personally think it is easier to turn down 5 million dollars when the other offer is 3 million. But that's just me, and I love this club.

BTW I think this proves that what Scully said in March was true. GWS didnt need to formally speak to anyone close to Scully, they put the rumor out there in a number of ways which alerts the world, including Scully, of their interest. I think the only way a journo knows that 'he is 98%' gone is if they think the GWS offer is 98% way too good to turn down.

Next game at the MCG I hope us supporters give Scully one almighty roar! Stuff like that can only help us when this young man makes one of the most important decisions in his young life.

I agree. I'm heartened by our offer, assuming it's being accurately reported. Personally, I think it's an absolute no-brainer for Scully to stay at the Dees, given the clubs' respective offerings (in a global sense that is, ie list, history, location, cash etc). The MFC's offer just has to be competitive - certainly it's in the ball park.

I expect plenty of other (currently) better players at rival clubs (Franklin, Goddard etc) have had the GWS money thrown at them too, yet to date most appear to have stuck fat with their clubs. And arguably the money's more important to such players, given that they are in the 'business' end of their careers. I'm now looking for our number one draft pick to do the same. It's not like he'll be playing for us on a pro bono basis.

One question Tom has to ask himself is why?

Why is a club offering Tom 1million a year, a player with potential but still has a lot to prove. A bloke who has only been in the AFL System 18 months, Why would they offer 1 million per year?

Tom here is the answer, every other high profile top 50 player in the comp they approached said no. They can't land an A grade star of the competition so they are now looking at potential.

Tom they are not offering you this because you are worth it, they are offering this because no one else whats to take it. It's like being an 18yo at a night club, you start with the best looking girls and through the night you work down the chain until someone says yes. Tom you are the ugly girl they are trying to pick up at 4.30 in the morning.

Edited by drdrake

The only thing we have learnt from this new development is that Tom and Velocity has been completely transparent with MFC.

They said they hadn't had an offer tabled to them by GWS. This is the first one.

They said they would inform the MFC when they get the offer. They did.

They said they would have to look at the offer. They are.

Tom said it comes down to his values. Your move Tom.

I agree. I'm heartened by our offer, assuming it's being accurately reported. Personally, I think it's an absolute no-brainer for Scully to stay at the Dees, given the clubs' respective offerings (in a global sense that is, ie list, history, location, cash etc). The MFC's offer just has to be competitive - certainly it's in the ball park.

I expect plenty of other (currently) better players at rival clubs (Franklin, Goddard etc) have had the GWS money thrown at them too, yet to date most appear to have stuck fat with their clubs. And arguably the money's more important to such players, given that they are in the 'business' end of their careers. I'm now looking for our number one draft pick to do the same. It's not like he'll be playing for us on a pro bono basis.

Agree as well; however, I get the feeling that a Franklin (who already has experienced a GF) or a Goddard who might like the opportunity to lead a young club while building a nice retirement fund (especially as he is currently with a club in decline), would be more likely to take up such an offer.

As those who thought Scully must have been lying at his press conference can now rest easy in the knowledge he was being completely honest and transparent, they should also be optimistic about the other words he spoke that day: "I love the club, I love all my teammates and I just want to be a part of the future at the footy club.".

Edited by hardtack

Well I reckon the issue of whether Tom goes or not is on a knife edge - quite frankly I don't envy him.

Here is how I see it from both party's perspective:

How Melbourne see it.

- We got Tom as a priority pick and now those same preferential AFL rules are threatening to take him away from us.

- If he goes our original priorty pick has been diluted. The question is by how much? Do we get one or two first round picks? Either way, given we know the quality of TS as a player our original benefit is diminshed.

- We need to be very careful about the amount we offer to Tom so as to avoid destabilising the rest of the list. Is TS worth that much more than JT?

- If we look post 2012 free agency will come in just at the beginning of our "premiership window". We could well need salary cap room to attract senior players to round off our list.

- Tom Scully has a worrying degenerative knee condition that may sadly hamper his long term career.

How Tom sees it.

- With thanks to Jack7's financial analysis, Tom stands to earn $570k p.a. at GWS vs. $357k p.a. at MFC. Very tempting.

- He would be away from family and friends. If he chooses to live in the West of Sydney it is a pretty horrible place, if he chooses to live in the Eastern Suburbs his commute will be pretty horrible anyway.

- Playing for GWS he guarantees himself at least two years of playing in a team that will be regularly belted.

- He will have to play the majority of his footy in front of small crowds on marginal grounds in the AFL.

- He will be heavily tagged each week even more so than at Melbourne where a deeper mid field list will provide more relief.

- Whether he likes it or not he will be always be viewed by many in the footy world as a mercenary - a footy pariah!

Edited by Inandunder

On the Couch just made a announcement via Mike Sheenan ...

Good news ... Scully has signed nothing.

Bad news ... GWS offer has now been tabled.

LOL so many journalists with egg all over their face

Guest fitness

Today's article is further eradication of the integrity of those 'journalists' - a.k.a. Mark Stevens - who have continually claimed TS has already signed and is leaving.

Just like his naming of the vilified GC Suns player a few weeks back on Twitter, Stevens is clearly more interested in being first rather than being accurate.

Follow your hearts people. Tom will stay.

This somewhat hilarious in a fashion. Who honestly believes that this is only NOW happening. This is the public SELL of what has been going on all along.

Just look at the hypocrisy of the logic's presented. Follow this up with inane remarks by his management ... :"We haven't told Tom what it is only that it's substantial and it warrants due consideration."

what.... like its all a secret...hush hush squirrel sh!t !! ffs ..its laughable Just as the supposed nonsense about GWS not being able to secure people til end of season, that they had this supposed window of opportunity prior and that was all. Its all farce.

All the way along young Tom has had 'plausible deniability " on his side. Now that goes out the window. I honestly wouldn't decry the young lad from taking up the 5 mill offer. That's big BIG bikkies..And if hes any good ( i.e worthy of that really big bowl of coin ) then he'll get just as much next time too. Its up to him whether he wants to do such in the land of the unknown, without ever really tasting the ultimate success for its terribly terribly unlikely GWS wil make any real inroads for 15-20 years by which time one TS will have been a player, but no longer.

What we are only privy to ( if that ) is the public face of the offers. You can bet your house there are under the table "sweeteners" to this, and if Melbourne isn't doing such then someones head needs to go on a plate.

Who's silly enough to think they wouldn't roll out the cheque book to pay for his general living expenses where they could etc. All above board etc..lol

This is high stakes Poker and GWS has a far bigger kitty to play with. If they go 'all in" we cant match it nor should we for here's the real equation. We need to look at his value in the context of him being but one player amongst many fine ones who;ll also need looking after. If we go the mats on one kid then how do you not have to up the ante all around and can we do so.

Irrespective of what young Tom wants....in terms of supposedly waiting til seasons end he in actuality needs to clear this up now. We don't all get to do what we want. Often the playing filed changes mid game in life and you adapt. If he thought he could tuck all this away til a rainy day ,well, its p!ssiing down buckets now !!

The blowtorch just went up a few notches .. I'm sorry Tom....time to make a call !!!

Today's article is further eradication of the integrity of those 'journalists' - a.k.a. Mark Stevens - who have continually claimed TS has already signed and is leaving.

Just like his naming of the vilified GC Suns player a few weeks back on Twitter, Stevens is clearly more interested in being first rather than being accurate.

And watch as nothing happens to these journos for being wrong, and they soon go back to 'making the news' in a couple of weeks.

Irrespective of what young Tom wants....in terms of supposedly waiting til seasons end he in actuality needs to clear this up now. We dont all get to do what we want. Often the playing filed changes mid game in life and you adapt. If he thought he could tuck all this away til a rainy day ,well, its p!ssiing down buckets now !!

The blowtorch just went up a few notches .. Im sorry Tom....time to make a call !!!

No he doesn't.

He said he would wait.

A great many people didn't believe him and questioned his integrity - his management now has the two deals apparently.

Nothing will change between now and September.

He can play these last 8 games and then make the biggest decision of his life.

And I, may I add, am getting pretty confident.

So some of you actualliy believe all the crap that espews fron his management and the GWs ..and on and on. .. Its all a bit " I did not have sexual relations with that woman!!! "

Often in many a working environment there are whispers., there are observations and granted sometimes things are not always what they seem....and yet many a time they are exactly what they seem, just no-one 's made the official announcement. .. No, the mine's not closing..certainly not , whilst all around equipment is re-assigned elsewhere, workers shifts reduce, natural attrition isnt replaced until suddenly its not 'viable" anymore. But it was never going to close !!

Anyone who honestly believes what they are seeing is the real -time observation of events is very niaive !!

Edited by belzebub59

He can play these last 8 games and then make the biggest decision of his life.

Newsflash...its actually being made now...like it or not....maybe no announcemtn til later.. but the machinations are taking place NOW

And I, may I add, am getting pretty confident.

Good for you :)

I think all this proves is that a hell of a lot has been going on behind the scenes since that long-ago Scully press conference.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Again, no it doesn't.

We evidently gave our $3m over 5 deal to his management. Most likely as a 'this is the best we can do under the cap and still keep our wage structure.

The GWS have given their offer at the behest of Tom's management.

Tom decides in Sept.

Oh, and your journo friends were consistently wrong and nothing will happen to them.

That too.

Again, no it doesn't.

We evidently gave our $3m over 5 deal to his management. Most likely as a 'this is the best we can do under the cap and still keep our wage structure.

The GWS have given their offer at the behest of Tom's management.

Tom decides in Sept.

Oh, and your journo friends were consistently wrong and nothing will happen to them.

That too.

I feel sorry for you rpfc. You're going to end up being very hurt when the boy formally walks.

I feel sorry for you rpfc. You're going to end up being very hurt when the boy formally walks.

Let's face it RR, if he does stay, when Free Agency comes into play, you'll be there at the frontlines preparing us for Scully's imminent departure.

Guest fitness

From Peter Blucher: ""You couldn't accept one [offer] without at least knowing what the other one was."

This implies to me that Tom has indicated a desire to stay with the MFC... but that obviously his management are encouraging him to at least take a look at what else is out there.

A great sign in my humble opinion...

If anyone can stuff 2 mill in a brown paper bag and give it to Toms' mum , the MFC would be grateful , as would his mum. Don't tell me the bigger clubs don't breach the cap .We can find the cash for him somewhere- although good luck to him if he want to play in a club that will fold within the decade .

If he makes the wrong choice, we still have Trengrove , Gysberts, Sylvia , McKenzie ,Grimes etc to cover him.

Will be sad to watch him shake hands with Jack T after a game in Liverpool after GWS have been thumped again , while we go to the finals .

We owe GWS a few years of pain for this- even if he stays with us .

Never Forget a debt!