The Ox & Dean Bailey.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ox is apparently talking to Dean on SEN within the hour i just heard....could be very interesting.

Usually M.Robinson is there when the teams are read out on Thursday nights. Ox might just say "hi".

The Ox is apparently talking to Dean on SEN within the hour i just heard....could be very interesting.

I'll be surprised if the interview is even 'interesting', let alone 'very interesting'. At least 75% of the time [AFL] radio interviews are snooze-worthy, and they rarely hit the heights of 'very interesting'.

I'll be surprised if the interview is even 'interesting', let alone 'very interesting'. At least 75% of the time [AFL] radio interviews are snooze-worthy, and they rarely hit the heights of 'very interesting'.

So don't listen.

Guest Artie Bucco

Haha Franc Leach had to wind it up suddenly because it was getting a bit tense.

I like that he called Robinson weak, thoughtless and unimaginative for referring to him as a "dead man coaching."

As far as the Scully topic, he is the exact opposite of petulant Mark Thompson re: Ablett.

If it's in the balance, he's doing exaclty what he needs to be doing.

Haha Franc Leach had to wind it up suddenly because it was getting a bit tense.

I like that he called Robinson weak, thoughtless and unimaginative for referring to him as a "dead man coaching."

As far as the Scully topic, he is the exact opposite of petulant Mark Thompson re: Ablett.

If it's in the balance, he's doing exaclty what he needs to be doing.

Also called him gutless

Guest Artie Bucco

Also called him gutless

Yeah, good.

I had that in the post originally, but deleted because I wasn't sure if I was remembering it correctly, or if I'd imagined it (because it's the sort of word I'd use).

I think Dean speaks well, such a shame he does not seem to be able to get the players to play as well as he speaks :)

I really like listening to his interviews. He seems very honest and easy going.

Atleast every week, there is a long way to go this year and a month ago people wernt even considering Bailey as an option,, i like the man

Yeah, good.

I had that in the post originally, but deleted because I wasn't sure if I was remembering it correctly, or if I'd imagined it (because it's the sort of word I'd use).

Exactly, a pretender, I sort of feel a love hate thing about Robbo. and thats why i feel uncomfotable about him, I reckon he tries to paly the supporters like Yo-Yo's. That, to me makes it a cheap trick, and just plain Cheap...

Sorry Robbo but you look guilt laden every time I see you on 7 sunday mornings. Not for too much longer I think...

Guest Artie Bucco

In all honesty, there's something I enjoy about Robbo.

I take anything he says with a grain of salt, but sometimes (rarely) he comes up with something worth hearing.

And I think I like the fact he's often like a drunk down the pub spouting off about footy, as if he's some sort of expert.

I get sick of the slimy footy nerds like Damien Barratt - now he is horrible.

I Have just listened and I valued deans presentation. A few pointed comments but they are just media/politics, eg. Dean was well spoken when M R asked about an article he wrote on Dean earlier in the year which HS entitled 'Dead Coach walking'. Dean told him his article - as many media articles are- was worth reading but his heading was offensive, unintelligent and uncreative. To the acknowledgement of David's opinion re Tom Scully, Dean just reiterated his own - exactly what we have all heard from him before. What is always interesting is to hear Dean - or any of our other coaches - speak directly on the on field analysis, coaching goals etc. He has his clear explanations and knows what he is trying to do, it sounds clear, but that doesn't mean they indicate he is heading in the right direction. In fact he stated the game hasn't really changed in the past five years and quoted some stats on contested possession etc. That concerns me and I would love to push him to explain what he really meant, because I think many would say it has. Without knowing exactly what he meant I don't want to draw wrong conclusions from his statement. However, I have a friend with contact inside the club who states one side of Dean which is frustrating is that Dean is stubborn. for eg. his refusal/slowness to try something other than his original opinion. I mention this because I get frustrated with his refusal to try different things on Game day when things are not working. I felt good after the interview, and perhaps a warmth toward him but that does not mean I think it is right to extend his contract. My opinion is that we don't need to wait until the end of the year. We have four years of observation and we won't see anything significantly different between now and the end of the year which will alter ones opinion. Dean is what Dean is. What you see is what you get. People with have different opinions. In fact I think by sitting on his win loss record over the next 8 weeks is a poor basis for making a desision. It's got to be deeper than that. The Board will be making up their mind now as they should be doing, nothing is black and white, its a judgement call, there will be discussion and perhaps a show of hands and the dice will fall one way or the other. Some will say the decision is right others wrong. The rest of us will have to live with it.

Edited by Harrisonrules

I think Dean speaks well, such a shame he does not seem to be able to get the players to play as well as he speaks :)

I really like listening to his interviews. He seems very honest and easy going.

I always feel a tinge of guilt when I bag him cause he seems a likeable and relatable fella. I'd love for him to get the results needed to stay on as coach. Unfortunately that isn't happening.

DB always seems to say the right things, and present himself well. This is probably the reason he was given the job in the first place. In an interview, he always seems to win. However, he still has a bit to prove in regards to his ability to actually coach. I hope that he can sell us all on this part soon.

I Have just listened and I valued deans presentation. A few pointed comments but they are just media/politics, eg. Dean was well spoken when M R asked about an article he wrote on Dean earlier in the year which HS entitled 'Dead Coach walking'. Dean told him his article - as many media articles are- was worth reading but his heading was offensive, unintelligent and uncreative. To the acknowledgement of David's opinion re Tom Scully, Dean just reiterated his own - exactly what we have all heard from him before. What is always interesting is to hear Dean - or any of our other coaches - speak directly on the on field analysis, coaching goals etc. He has his clear explanations and knows what he is trying to do, it sounds clear, but that doesn't mean they indicate he is heading in the right direction. In fact he stated the game hasn't really changed in the past five years and quoted some stats on contested possession etc. That concerns me and I would love to push him to explain what he really meant, because I think many would say it has. Without knowing exactly what he meant I don't want to draw wrong conclusions from his statement. However, I have a friend with contact inside the club who states one side of Dean which is frustrating is that Dean is stubborn. for eg. his refusal/slowness to try something other than his original opinion. I mention this because I get frustrated with his refusal to try different things on Game day when things are not working. I felt good after the interview, and perhaps a warmth toward him but that does not mean I think it is right to extend his contract. My opinion is that we don't need to wait until the end of the year. We have four years of observation and we won't see anything significantly different between now and the end of the year which will alter ones opinion. Dean is what Dean is. What you see is what you get. People with have different opinions. In fact I think by sitting on his win loss record over the next 8 weeks is a poor basis for making a desision. It's got to be deeper than that. The Board will be making up their mind now as they should be doing, nothing is black and white, its a judgement call, there will be discussion and perhaps a show of hands and the dice will fall one way or the other. Some will say the decision is right others wrong. The rest of us will have to live with it.

I think I understand what you said about the Stubborn direction to his task of developing the Kids..

There are many different Routes to get to the same destination!!!! But many supporters want the ones which look more appealing to their eyes and puts their fears at ease. But these popular methods aren't necessarily the best to teach the most effectively.

And If you are one who teaches in a way thats a bit 'Left field',,, it can leave many fearing their out of control because the teacher hasn't 'Let On' about his methods,,,because 'Left field' Ideas are not popular with Powerfull conservative Backers who 'Freakout' with anything they don't understand...

I suspect we have a bit of an arm wrestle over how to get from Pos' "A" to Pos' "B".