The Tom Scully Saga

Did anyone see Bailey grab Tom's face post game and give him a big happy scary stare and hug?

I said to dad that he is probably saying "good game but if you leave I'll hunt you down and break your other kneecap"

God I'll be heartbroken if he leave.

That wasn't you holding up the Don't leave #31 sign up behind the Punt Rd goals at the game yesterday was it?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Decision" OMG is it a sign?

That's what he's said all along - not that he's signed with GWS, not that he will sign with MFC, that he's putting off a decision until the end of the season. As hardtack points out that perfectly reasonable. The hypocrisy and double standards in this thread are breath-taking - MFC is putting off making contract decisions on Dean Bailey, Matthew Warnock and Addam Maric until the end of the year. Tom is going to make a decision at the end of the year and panic-merchants, cry-babies and doom-sayers are not helping him make the right decision.

Edited by old55

That's what he's said all along - not that he's signed with GWS, not that he will sign with MFC, that he's putting off a decision until the end of the season. As hardtack points out that perfectly reasonable. The hypocrisy and double standards in this thread are breath-taking - MFC is putting off making contract decisions on Dean Bailey, Matthew Warnock and Addam Maric until the end of the year. Tom is going to make a decision at the end of the year and panic-merchants, cry-babies and doom-sayers are not helping him make the right decision.

Bravo and well said Old.

Some of the definitive statements in this thread on what he is going to do is laughable. Nobody know what he will be doing.

But it wont stop the heroes claim a false sense of superiority when he decides either way.

didnt you know that the club is bigger that the player and whilst the club reasonably delay contract negotiations with players and coaches as it see fit it is high treason if a player does the same.

(this is not a shot at the club - just posters)

Guest Gotzy15

He should be embarrassed by the banner that was held up at the end of the game today which said 'Number 31 Please Don't Go'.

Melbourne supporters were screaming this same line back in the sixties when Barrass headed to Carlton - that was after he gave his all for our club over a decorated career, and was only making the move to set up the next phase of his career. This kid has yet to achieve anything for our club, yet has the Melboure faithful bending over backwards to keep him. He is showing us absolutely no respect at the moment. Give me a committed Jordie McKenzie or Jack Trengove any day over this rubbish.

great post strawbs, i can feel your passion on this one.i agree that this is getting beyond a joke. i really dont think we can afford to keep the skull in fact im certain of it. If we do keep the kid were going to have to 'compensate' him by going as close to matching the GWS offer (whatever that may be) as we can. I can guarantee you that will be a fair few coins and i would imagine he would become just about the highest paid player at the club. If that was the case then we would be presented with a farcical situation where Skull would be earning perhaps thousands more than guys like Trengove, McKenzie and Gys who are roughly the same age, played more games than skull as it is and arguably given us greater service than he is. These guys are potential leaders and 12-13 year players for our club. That in my opinion would be penalising these guys for their loyalty and eagerness to commit to something their hearts are well and truly in (the club). Unfortunately only a miracle will keep skull with us next year and beyond.

didnt you know that the club is bigger that the player and whilst the club reasonably delay contract negotiations with players and coaches as it see fit it is high treason if a player does the same.

(this is not a shot at the club - just posters)

Yes but this is like the tail wAGGing the dog. I don't follow scully football club. the club must always come first others it will come last. it is not unreasonable for supporters and the club to want to be proactive to ward off poachers. the emotional connection of many supporters to their clubs runs much deeper than the shop and swap mentality which modern football parades as a virtue.

Guest Gotzy15

In saying that id like to make a suggestion to Rhino that he changes his display pic. Otherwise i might just change mine from Trenners and Wattsy to cameron bruce or brock mclean.

if all were in the same basket youd agree.

However.. Scully is light years beyond either Warnock or Maric. . If either of the latter two go it wouldnbt be much of an issue. Some dissappointment but hardly anything to lose sleep on.

Scully going is big time for al lthe reason already covered in this thread. He IS a #1 pick. Others arent.

Bailey..is hardly the same kettle either.

Nice try but im not buying the eggs are all from one basket line here Old ;)

does anyone know how to take off the numbers that the AFL store print onto jumpers? i'm finding it very hard to peel off .

Just swap the "3" and the "1" around and you'll have the number of a great young player who loves playing for the club.

If he signalled his intent the whole situation will go away. Simple.

Yes - signal his intent - like Gary Ablett did, like Campbell Brown did and like Chris Tarrant did. Talk is cheap. I take everything players say about their undying love for the club with a grain of salt.

You mention Jack Trengove as our beacon - all he has done is sign a 3 year deal and we have no insight if Scully was offered the same and rejected it. JT has professed his desire to be one club player and Scully did the same. I have no reason to believe JT will go anywhere but he is sure to be offered the dollars next year by GWS - lets see how he plays it.

does anyone know how to take off the numbers that the AFL store print onto jumpers? i'm finding it very hard to peel off .

haha Classic. I also got 31 put on my jumper. I actually got it after his press conference. Good thing Paul Wheatley was a fav of mine ;)

it is not unreasonable for supporters and the club to want to be proactive to ward off poachers.

Yep, and the way to ward off GWS poaching Tom Scully is for the club and supporters to remain calm, consistent, confident and supportive and to resist hysterical ultimatums, hair-tearing and hand-wringing. Get it straight - YOU can drive Tom away from our club with weak-minded pessimism or YOU can influence him to stay by hanging tough.

Guest Gotzy15

Just swap the "3" and the "1" around and you'll have the number of a great young player who loves playing for the club.

Thats it range Rover. Probably should have just got 13 in the first place though i reckon

Yep, and the way to ward off GWS poaching Tom Scully is for the club and supporters to remain calm, consistent, confident and supportive and to resist hysterical ultimatums, hair-tearing and hand-wringing. Get it straight - YOU can drive Tom away from our club with weak-minded pessimism or YOU can influence him to stay by hanging tough.

Spot on!!

Yes but this is like the tail wAGGing the dog. I don't follow scully football club. the club must always come first others it will come last. it is not unreasonable for supporters and the club to want to be proactive to ward off poachers. the emotional connection of many supporters to their clubs runs much deeper than the shop and swap mentality which modern football parades as a virtue.

And therein lies the gulf that exists between our posters - I am as emotional as any when it comes to my Demons - but I will not divorce myself from realities and fact. The cold fact for players is that for the players the team does comes first on match days and training and the sacrifices that must be made for a win and to secure the ultimate prize but players have a finite career and will put themselves first when assessing their contracts IF they are in a position to do so.

The club (s) absolutely understand this fact and will act as it will with Warnock, Maric and Bailey (who have very little control over their contract negotiations) but have to take a different approach as they have ( and did in the past) with Scully, Green, Davey and Bruce because they are in the forutnate position of being in demand and are able to set the agenda. All clubs suffer from this same problem when it comes to the difference in negotiating with the 1st player on their list and the 44th.

So supporters are emotional, whilst the club and players, when it comes to contract negotiation, in the main, just arent.

Who will be the first Demonland Poster to suffer a Heart Attack/Stroke during this Scully Affair???

Thoughts.....??

it won't be m.......ahhhh...eeeekkk...arggggggg( medic !)

I want to reiterate this point.

We are supporters of this club, and our club is trying to keep a player.

We are not helping by being the fuel in this rumour spreading - surely there has been so many contradictory and altered rumours that they all get less believable?

The old axiom of "where thers is smoke there is fire" is quite right - but how many different fires can there be if there is only one spark?

We should be asking ourselves where these erroneous rumours come from (if you believe he is gone, fine, but there is only one 'true' rumour)?

They are coming from the west, and they are trying to enact a self-fulfiling prophecy - make enough people think Tom is gone, and they will make life so difficult that he will decide to leave.

Gubby Allan is a brilliant bastard - don't let him do this to our club.

Who will be the first Demonland Poster to suffer a Heart Attack/Stroke during this Scully Affair???

Thoughts.....??

I sometimes feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall when it comes to some of the posts on this thread... to the point where I may be suffering a "fractured scully". Also note that I have heard a rumour to the effect that reported instances of RSI (Repetitive Scully Insinuations) are on the increase.