Malthouse won't be cheap/Gary Lyon on Bailey article

Guest Thomo

Guest Artie Bucco

Why, if he is released from his contract?

My understanding is that they wouldn't.

If they have actually said they will if he wants to go, then we should throw the kitchen sink at him.

Saying that "they won't stand in his way" is a little vague for my liking at this stage.

Personally I'd move Connolly into a part time board member to liase between the board and the FD.Then I'd get the chequebook out and chase the best FD people in the business.

I can't believe you could possibly take this view, when clubs the that spend the most on their football departments are the ones that perform.

I rekcon the clubs that do the best have the best head coach, best assistants, best recruiting staff and obviously playing Talent. its all icing on the cake beyond that IMO.

It has been an issue for a while.

Being able to attract talent and quality.

Chris Judd didn't want to be here, and seeing he grew up in Sandringham and barracked for the dees as a kid him not coming here was a signpost.

And uncertainty over Tom Scully (even though it is a lot of money) doesn't help either.

The club cleaning up itself off field is to combat this (debt demolition etc.). So we can attract true quality people to the club. But I don't think were there yet.

I went to the game on Friday night, to see the G covered with the clubs logo/slogans/videos etc was a great sign.

But again I don't think were there yet.

Is this you offering to pay his salary then ... beautiful its all sorted then. I will call Swabby you call Mick. B)

No... it's me saying I would expect them to offer the most within the club's finances -- and I wouldn't believe this club didn't have the ability to find the money to pay any salary Malthouse might demand. As members that contribute to the club's finances, don't you think we should expect the best quality in any regard?

No... it's me saying I would expect them to offer the most within the club's finances -- and I wouldn't believe this club didn't have the ability to find the money to pay any salary Malthouse might demand. As members that contribute to the club's finances, don't you think we should expect the best quality in any regard?

This club must not be shy or in any way scared to pay Top Dollar for it's next coaching staff. Otherwise the last 4 years have been a complete waste of time.

"If you pay Peanuts, You get Monkeys"

I'm a little bit worried at our inability to attract good players/coaches to the club.

When we lost Hale to Hawthorn I started thinking about whether we can attract players to the club.

Think about it. We have lost McLean, (we will lose) Scully, C Johnson (not that it mattered in the end), Jolly, Simmonds, Thompson.

Who have we gained recently? Holland, Moloney...Ummm...

Same with our coaches. The good ones are getting poached. Wellman last year was a good example of that.

I think that it is a serious issue which the club may need to think about.

I'm a little bit worried at our inability to attract good players/coaches to the club.

When we lost Hale to Hawthorn I started thinking about whether we can attract players to the club.

Think about it. We have lost McLean, (we will lose) Scully, C Johnson (not that it mattered in the end), Jolly, Simmonds, Thompson.

Who have we gained recently? Holland, Moloney...Ummm...

Same with our coaches. The good ones are getting poached. Wellman last year was a good example of that.

I think that it is a serious issue which the club may need to think about.

Who would come to a club that has been so irrelevant over the last 4 years?

And Scully hasn't gone yet...

And Thompson is the only player you mentioned that I am dirty we lost and he went home (yeah, Jolly is good - Jamar is better).

So I don't really see the mass exodus...

We are not in a great place but the torch-bearers shouldn't light the fire just yet.

There is no doubt that the club should be looking at alternatives right now since an extension for Bailey is not looking like it is gonna happen.

I'm not up for paying out Micks contract with Collingwood but I am up for chipping in for a top line coach or coaches. We have no choice with the list we have accumulated and to show the high end draft picks we are fair dinkum and they need to stick fat.

I doubt he will want to come to Melbourne with little resources compared to Carlton, Hawthorne and GWS who may also be after his services.

Ratten only has to win one final to keep his job, and given the way Hawthorn are traveling so far this season, it's doubtful that they'll sack Clarkson.

As for GWS? Malthouse has just recently had a grandchild born to Christie, so I strongly doubt that he'd be up for moving to another state - he's in Melbourne to stay.

Our only real competitor is the Bulldogs after Eade, if he's booted, and maybe St Kilda (though that's looking increasingly unlikely, considering they seem to be coming into form).

jim and co would not be doing the club nor the members any favours if they were not looking at malthouse, roos or mathews as coach of this club for next year regardless of the cost! how much are they willing to pay for a premiership?

Any amount of money that he would demand would be completely and utterly justified considering what he brings to the table. It's moronic to think the club might not go after him because of the price. Anything he is worth is completely in the reach of this club financially. I wouldn't expect anything less.

Then I'd get the chequebook out and chase the best FD people in the business.

This club must not be shy or in any way scared to pay Top Dollar for it's next coaching staff.

You can only pay what you can afford. If you go after Malthouse, you go after his right hand men and his picking of assistants. That comes at a huge cost. A cost our club might well not be able to afford.

Read between the lines. You reckon Garry isn't privvy to the coal face.

Ratten only has to win one final to keep his job, and given the way Hawthorn are traveling so far this season, it's doubtful that they'll sack Clarkson.

As for GWS? Malthouse has just recently had a grandchild born to Christie, so I strongly doubt that he'd be up for moving to another state - he's in Melbourne to stay.

Our only real competitor is the Bulldogs after Eade, if he's booted, and maybe St Kilda (though that's looking increasingly unlikely, considering they seem to be coming into form).

Mark Williams is a lock to take over from Sheedy at GWS. Ratten and Clarkson should stay.

Other clubs likely to be looking for a new coach: Dogs, Adelaide.

Edited by old55

Getting Malthouse would be a turning point for Melbourne. Although he would cost plenty the cost will not be an issue. Malthouse would create genuine excitement if he came to the Dees, this in turn would guarantee a significant increase in memberships, and a better fixture which in turn makes the club more attractive to sponsors and allows Melbourne to demand higher sponsorship. In a similar way to which Chris Judd pays his salary via #5 gurnsey sales, and increased exposure for Carlton, Malthouse would go along way to paying his salary via increased exposure as well. Not only would we get the best coach in the competition we would also be able to start attracting uncontracted mature players that for the last 30 years have had little interest in playing for the Dees. With free agency coming this has never been more important.

I have been a supporter of Bailey until last weekend. I have never been so appalled with a coaches game plan and tactics as I was last Friday. Bailey lost me in the first 5 minutes when he played 2 players behind the ball effectively waving the white flag. Our players would have gained nothing from that experience. We would have been better off if we were flogged by 10 goals but played an attacking brand of football. Bailey must go.

Melbourne must put full effort into getting Malthouse.

For me the thought of Malthouse has a feeling of Malcolm Blight to St Kilda about it. Don't know why, there's no real rationality behind it other than a gut feel. I don't get the same feeling when considering Roos.

For me the thought of Malthouse has a feeling of Malcolm Blight to St Kilda about it. Don't know why, there's no real rationality behind it other than a gut feel. I don't get the same feeling when considering Roos.

If Paul Roos is in the market, I would rather go for him.

Mick M, by the end of the year, may well have lifted the holy grail for the 4th time. He is now in his 60's. And, as already pointed out, even if we could afford Mick and his entourage, will he still have the hunger? Perhaps, as he is a total professional after all.

Paul Roos became coach as a result of "people" power. Remember, Terry Wallace was all but in the chair, having already told the the Bullies he would be moving on. While there was undoubted skill and talent at the Swans when they won their flag, they beat an Eagles team, which, pound for pound, had a lot more class within its ranks. Paul Roos gave real kudos to the axiom, "a champion team, will always beat a team of champions". While the dollar is undoubtedly a motivator for anyone, Paul Roos would attract a calibre of assistants that we need, because they would be likely to believe that working under Roos, would add to their own credentials for any future senior position in the offing.

If he is in the market, I say we go for him, with all guns blazing.

Collingwoods poor performance in the 2003 grand final under Malthouse is also a bit of a question mark for me. Perhaps Roos' decision to rush the field in a kids game shows he still has a burning passion for the game!?

Edited by Ascobar

You can only pay what you can afford. If you go after Malthouse, you go after his right hand men and his picking of assistants. That comes at a huge cost. A cost our club might well not be able to afford.

Read between the lines. You reckon Garry isn't privvy to the coal face.

Great so lets stay debt free and fish 5th with a list that should be pressing for 1st. Losers mentality which is fairly typical of melbourne, both the club and its supporters.

Guest Artie Bucco

Interestingly (for me at least), I have the same feeling, but with Roos and Malthouse reversed.

It does doesnt it. Until you gave it that context I wasnt sure what is was that didnt seat quite right.

Its funny how differing people see it all in different perspective. Ive asked my bros-in law ( all Collingwood ) as to their thoughts re Mickey Mouse. Strangely though happy with a cup ( who wouldnt be ) they arent convinced hes really as good as some pump him up. They point more to his assistants as the real reason for the Woodies rise.

I asked , should we have a crack for Mick, Their reply... amongst a choice of ?? Heres where I uttered choices like Roos, Laidley,Eade ( possibly ) as well as a a couple of burgeoning likely type assisatants etc .

None thought Mouse a good fit for Melbourne. I countered, what...you dont want us to have him, They said. you can have him but maybe Roos would be better for you in terms of where youre at..

I thought that interestiing

Roos was very good at getting that something else ( not just more ) out of a bunch of talented blokess. Sydney was very talented ( as history proves ) just Rocket couldnt get them going enough.... Sound familiar ??? :rolleyes::unsure::rolleyes: