Changes for next week

Eth

in: Scully, Trengove, Bartram, Gawn

out: Bennell, Jetta, Bate, Newton

Theres many more changes I'd like to see, but I dont think are viable for this game. IE Howe, Mcdonald and Blease in. Mainly because it'd mean taking Nicholson and Evans out after 1-2 games, which Im not sure really benefits anyone (they have no consistency, and we don't see how they play). Scully, Trengove and Bartram all are first choices into the team, and we need Gawn.

Im going to buck the trend and say that Morton should stay in, but get his butt kicked for a few of his efforts last week. But then, be shown the video of him going for that hard pickup which saw him give away a free kick, and be told to do that another 20 times in a game (albeit without the contact to the head). He's a very high pick! The talent is there, and we need to get it out of him now or never.

Petterd as sub.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's reasonable to drop Nicholson and Evans when guys like Strauss and Blease are also there for selection, and have been playing reasonably well.

To me, Evans goes out to make way for Scully/Trengove, whereas Nicholson is dropped to make way for Bartram. One of Blease or Strauss should be brought in to utilise their kicking skills so that we don't have to float Watts in the backline just so we can have someone with half decent disposal skills to begin thrusts into the forward line.

It was great that Evans and Nicholson had the chance to debut, but when there's guys who are coming back in and also deserve a game, then i think they're the two that make way for them, particularly as neither were really stand outs on the weekend.

Guest Thomo

in: Scully, Trengove, Bartram, Gawn

out: Bennell, Jetta, Bate, Newton

Theres many more changes I'd like to see, but I dont think are viable for this game. IE Howe, Mcdonald and Blease in. Mainly because it'd mean taking Nicholson and Evans out after 1-2 games, which Im not sure really benefits anyone (they have no consistency, and we don't see how they play). Scully, Trengove and Bartram all are first choices into the team, and we need Gawn.

Im going to buck the trend and say that Morton should stay in, but get his butt kicked for a few of his efforts last week. But then, be shown the video of him going for that hard pickup which saw him give away a free kick, and be told to do that another 20 times in a game (albeit without the contact to the head). He's a very high pick! The talent is there, and we need to get it out of him now or never.

Petterd as sub.

Agree with all of the above, epecially the Morton bit, unless the medical team do not think Scully or Gawn are ready to play.

I think Warnock's form has been pretty good. He was ordinary by foot last week but apart from that he has been playing his role. I can't see him being left out.

I think Warnock's form has been pretty good. He was ordinary by foot last week but apart from that he has been playing his role. I can't see him being left out.

I can't either, but only by default. Essendon play a few talls, we'll probably need Warnock down back, especially if they decide to throw Hurley down there too.

This doesn't change much though, Warnock is still a complete liability with the ball in hand.

Warnock is still a complete liability with the ball in hand.

And with the ball about to be in hand.

He has no confidence anymore to beat his opponent in a marking contest, even when he has the sit.

I'm sorry, but I don't see a future for a 26 year old who, at the minute, is a walking left fist that gives away free kicks.

And if we are keeping him for depth - I don't see the point - if he is playing ahead of Davis or McDonald, I am not so certain there is a massive gulf between Warnock and giving a kid a game.

And depth is such a misnomer - as we are finding out now - you cannot replace your best players, so good depth is a contradiction in terms - if they were any good, they wouldn't be depth.

He has no confidence anymore to beat his opponent in a marking contest, even when he has the sit.

I'm sorry, but I don't see a future for a 26 year old who, at the minute, is a walking left fist that gives away free kicks.

This is what disappoints me about Warnock. At the beginning of the year I'd have assessed him as a good negating defender with no ability to attack, meaning he should in theory have been adequate cover for the loss of a quality tall. He's been called on for exactly that and been very disappointing compared to his defending ability of previous years. I don't care so much about him being a poor user of the ball (we knew what we were getting when we brought him in), it's his [in]ability as a pure defender that rules him out for me.

This is what disappoints me about Warnock. At the beginning of the year I'd have assessed him as a good negating defender with no ability to attack, meaning he should in theory have been adequate cover for the loss of a quality tall. He's been called on for exactly that and been very disappointing compared to his defending ability of previous years. I don't care so much about him being a poor user of the ball (we knew what we were getting when we brought him in), it's his [in]ability as a pure defender that rules him out for me.

Nasher, I don't think that is entirely correct. Apart from last week, Warnock has ben playing some very good football. He is the typical big bodied full back. He is the ideal match up when the oppostion play a bigger, staty-at-home full forward (could also be known this year as the resting ruckman). In the game against Adelaide he did an excellent job against Taylor Walker, against North I'm pretty sure he played on Petrie, and against St Kilda he mainly played on Kosi when he went forward. I think you will find he won each of those contests, and quite convincingly too. As I said, last Friday night was a bad night, but I'm more than happy to give him a couple more games given his previous games performances.

To say he has an inability to play as a pure defender is totally incorret. He does seem to struggle to give us that run out of the backline (compared to Frawley), but to me that must be a confidence thing or the fear of making a mistake, as when he plays at Casey, he is often complimented about the run out of the back line that he gives.

With Garland out, and Frawley not at the AA form of last year, Matt Warnock stays in my team any day. I understand we have Kkey position defenders developing at Casey, but our backline is our strongest part of our team, and at the moment, having Warnock's maturity and experience down there is vital.

Lol. You must've been watching through rose coloured 'Warnock' glasses WA. He was embarrassing last week and also against North and that's just 2 recent ones that come to memory. There's been plenty of others over the last few years.

He has size and can take an uncontested mark, but that's about it. Terrible reader of the ball coming in high, poor body work often interfering with other fellow players in better position in the marking/spoiling contest and often spoiling their efforts when out of position, drops simple chest marks under no pressure resulting in turnover goals. And once the ball hits the ground it's 'chook without a head' time.

Why would we want to continue giving senior game time to a player with these traits? This is the type of player that the MFC continues to have faith in year after year, whilst seemingly being unwilling to make the tough call and try potentially better alternatives, leaving other prospects to rot in the Magoos (unless we have a deft of injuries like we do now and we're forced to select alternatives outside of the regular favorites). While the somewhat more experienced but in the main, under-performing player, continues to rack up game after game, without actually being deserving, earning it or improving on past performance. Just maintaining his 'status quo'. No better, no worse, so lets just keep playing him and eventually, with enough experience, he should somehow improve and provide value!?? Not saying Warnock can't improve. I hope he can for his and our sake. But let him do a little time in the Magoos and work on it, before taking another look sometime down the track when he appears as if he's improved on aspects of his game. Same applies to anyone else IMO.

If a player is showing something, gradually improving week to week or month to month (whatever the timeline is for assessment) and deserving of his place then fine. Let them continue and develop their game & gather experience.

IMHO this 'easy going/she'll be right' attitude is one of the key reasons as to why the MFC often under performs, never quite taking the next step in our overall improvement/development into an "A" level AFL team. Always end up being 'B' grade team wise (at best) or when we bottom out we really bottom out....going from 'B' at best down to a 'C' or even worse. Then we tank and try to find alternative prospects with some early draft picks. Then the same approach/attitude/cycle continues. And then we supporters are left year after year saying...."why can't we find/develop enough players into an elite team...why are we always languishing as a mid rung team or worse year after year, decade after decade?"

Warnock has 7 extra kilos and in his favour at this stage and 54 games advantage. Both the same height so no disadvantage there. Need to test other options at this point. Even if McDonald has 3 - 5 clangers, that's about par for Warnock as well. However, we at least get to see where McDonald is at and what he may have to offer as a a medium to long term prospect at this level. And yes, i realise it will take a lot more than 1 game to assess that.

Edited by Rusty Nails

My changes:

In: Scully, Trengove, Howe, Gawn

Out: Newton, Bate, Jetta, Warnock.

Who are you replacing down back for Warnock ?

I think it's reasonable to drop Nicholson and Evans when guys like Strauss and Blease are also there for selection, and have been playing reasonably well.

To me, Evans goes out to make way for Scully/Trengove, whereas Nicholson is dropped to make way for Bartram. One of Blease or Strauss should be brought in to utilise their kicking skills so that we don't have to float Watts in the backline just so we can have someone with half decent disposal skills to begin thrusts into the forward line.

It was great that Evans and Nicholson had the chance to debut, but when there's guys who are coming back in and also deserve a game, then i think they're the two that make way for them, particularly as neither were really stand outs on the weekend.

They were my thoughts based on my selections on page 3.

Regarding Warnock. He may not be everyone's cup of tea at the moment and everyone knows he stuffed up last Friday, hence being subbed off. I don't hold much hope for him tbh, with guys such as Davis who will be pressing to debut. But at this present moment, I think he is required this week at least.

I think it would be very "surprising" if Warnock was dropped and Martin went back with Gawn doing ruck duties against the Essendon trio. As several here are intimating.

I think it would be very "surprising" if Warnock was dropped and Martin went back with Gawn doing ruck duties against the Essendon trio. As several here are intimating.

I agree. Unless a young back comes in, Warnock stays.

If Dunn comes in instead of Howe the coaches are jokers.

If Strauss has added a bit of aggression to his game, surely he is exactly what we need. Some of the highlights of casey showed him hitting the contest pretty hard.

Just stated on the other thread in reply to you, if Warnock goes, there would be a re-shuffle and maybe a Strauss come in...

Aussie has taken personal leave and Fev isn't on our list - try again.

Just kidding. Is that Howe wearing 48? Very similar style to Robbo, not sure if that's a + or -.

Yes, 48. Good kicking technique IMO.

I was going Howe and Strauss but yeah that too.

Just going from the highlights I thought the same.

I wonder if a reason for leaving Warnock in is the risk of McDonald making his debut as a key defender on an absolute shellacking. Strauss's confidence was badly dented by his debut against Hawthorn.

I wonder if a reason for leaving Warnock in is the risk of McDonald making his debut as a key defender on an absolute shellacking. Strauss's confidence was badly dented by his debut against Hawthorn.

I stuck up for Strauss the other night at Metricon Stadium. I was sitting right behind the point post, 3 rows from the fence. In the 3rd quarter, I let Campbell Brown know that I thought he was by far the worst player on the field. I know he would've heard me as a bloke a few rows behind me got his request for a Scarlett wave honoured while that player was about 25m out.

It felt good, means jack $hit, glad he didn't recognise me after the game! B)

I stuck up for Strauss the other night at Metricon Stadium. I was sitting right behind the point post, 3 rows from the fence. In the 3rd quarter, I let Campbell Brown know that I thought he was by far the worst player on the field. I know he would've heard me as a bloke a few rows behind me got his request for a Scarlett wave honoured while that player was about 25m out.

It felt good, means jack $hit, glad he didn't recognise me after the game! B)

Can you give some insight on your thoughts of the new stadium. Seating ? Atmosphere ?