Changes for next week

Eth

Bellchambers - Ruck

Hille - Frawley

Ryder - Tom McDonald

Hurley - Rivers

Crameri - Joel Macdonald

If McDonald is really struggling, Martin can go down back when resting from the ruck (which will be quiet a bit due to Gawn's inclusion). There is no way Warnock deserves another game on last Fridays effort.

I can see how your matchups would work, but Warnock played well the previous two weeks and just had a shocker on Friday night. I just think this week might not be the week to blood McDonald. If Warnock has another shocker next week, then yes drop him.

I just fear that we lose to much size and strength of we drop for this weeks game. And although McDonald has shown some good signs I think one more week of solid VFL form might be better before bringing him in.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scully (sub) for Warnock

Trengove for Evans

Dunn for Petterd

Bartram (if fit) for Morton (Strauss otherwise)

Gawn for Newton

Howe for Bate

• Martin to play the majority of the game as a defender Essendon are likely to have a player which needs a gorilla and Warnock is not up to it. We should get innovative with Martin and play him as a KPD/relieving ruckman

• Morton’s disposal is not good enough for an outside midfielder.

• Scully should play as the sub given it will be too big a risk to start with him and then intend to sub him off later.

• Dunn should play on Watson if he plays.

• Dunn’s only real problem as a footballer is that he does not find enough of the ball. This is partly due to our midfield being consistently beaten.

Bartram Martin Frawley

J.MacDonald Rivers Jones

Green Trengove McKenzie

Howe Watts Jetta

Maric Jurrah Dunn

Gawn Sylvia Moloney

Nicholson Bennell Gysberts

Scully

• Scully should play as the sub given it will be too big a risk to start with him and then intend to sub him off later.

Connolly has said that Scully is in line to play 75% of game time, so he won't play as the sub as he wouldn't necessarily get enough game time.

Connolly asserted that mids normally only play 85% game time anyway.

I just want to check that those who are wanting Warnock out realise we're playing Essendon this week. That's right the team that plays three ruckmen every week. Warnock is our tallest and possibly toughest backman. I would think that we would need to have him play this week against the Bellchambers/Ryder/Hille trio. Otherwise we would be seriously undersized in the backline when they've also got guys like Crameri and possibly Hurley running around.

I also hope Bartram comes back because God knows we'll need him. Blease has probably done enough to warrant inclusion to, and would give us some pace and foot skills out of the backline. If not him, then Strauss.

So i'm going to go with the following this week:

In: Trengove, Scully, Bartram, Gawn, Blease/Strauss

Out: Bennell, Morton, Evans, Newton, Jetta

I reckon these changes boost our midfield, and ruck, while also giving us some extra footskills in the backline which would hopefully mean that Watts can return to playing on the half forward line.

I think Dunn goes back to Casey for a week or two unless we are to swap him with Bate and get him to play as a defensive forward on someone like Heppell.

Agreed pm24, the last thig we should do now in further undrmine the defence. Stability!

All we should do is remove the physically soft 'no-goers'.

Outs: Morton,,, Bennell if we can cover his run. Petterd out,,, for Howe, in...

Connolly has said that Scully is in line to play 75% of game time, so he won't play as the sub as he wouldn't necessarily get enough game time.

Connolly asserted that mids normally only play 85% game time anyway.

I would start him in that case and play Bennell as the sub.

Guest hangon007

IMHO I have a problem with people calling for so many changes ie more than 2 unless they are injury forced.

IMHO if you do bring up "kids" you must play them for 4-5 games and make an assessment then. If you subsequently send them back to the VFL you ask them to work on specifics XY & Z.

IMHO you can't chop and change teams on a weekly basis irrespective of the result if you are aiming to develop a structure. This is not to say players get games for nothing, but you must give them time to understand the dynamics of AFL football over VFL football.

IMHO the more changes you make regarding form the less likely you are to win. 3-4 changes a week is way to much, way too unsettling and almost conceding before your start.

Personally I think the amount of time that we see Lynden Dunn again in a Melbourne jumper will be limited to single digits.

He does not have any stand out attributes and is another player that needs to be culled before we can go forward.

Would much rather see a Howe or McDonald given a look going forward?

100% correct.

Which leads me to these pieces of garbage:

He doesn't have a role because we've given him a go basically everywhere and he's sucked everywhere. He played about 4 good games late last year as a forward, and that's it. He doesn't have the football brains to be a proper forward, he doesn't run hard enough, he is stupid, he doesn't zone properly, he is lazy, and he has poor skills.

Read my post again Titan. What part of my post supported Dunn coming straight back in? I read somewhere that Bailey said that Dunn was a likely inclusion, and I, like you, couldn't work out why. I know what his form has been like over the past 3 years, and I'm (scratching my head) trying to work out why he is an automatic in. The best I could come up with is exactly what I posted. I'm questioning his selection, and unlike you, am trying to understadn what the FD see in him.

Put it this way, we all think he is out of form, the FD have said that he is a likely inclusion, what do they know that we don't? Would they make a very simple mistake of playing a player that isn't doing what is asked? Even though we may think differently?

We need to bring in experienced players and debut young guys in form.

In: Trengove, Bartram, Strauss, Scully, Gawn, McDonald

Out: Bennell, Warnock, Morton, Evans, Newton, Jetta

-----------------------------------------------

Warnock failed on the big stage friday night. He's not up to it. kicking the ball out of bounds at critical times of the game under no pressure.

Bennell and Jetta haven't stood up from first year. Developing well but just need more time. Not developing in the current enviornment.

Morton- I thought he could play with mongrel in him? comeback when you find it!

Newton: no comment.

evans: no comment.

With news of Newton, this forces a play of another tall. But who? Howe, Gawn or Dunn(:/)

I would love to see Gawn in, it will help. but, it is a huge task to handle big bad Hille, and co.

For me, Howe has played well again, named in best for a few weeks now, he deserves it!

With Scully and Trengove back in, I expect Bennell and Morton to come out. although I wouldnt be surprised if Morton was kept in to play a tall role in the forward actually.

Its hard to say a out the debutant, Nicholson. but if Bartram is fit, I expect him to come out.

Out: Bennell, Morton, Newton.

In: Scully, Trengove, Howe.

With new injury news coming to light, my final changes would be:

Out: Newton, Petterd, Warnock, Bennell, Maric

In: Scully, Trengove, GAWN, Howe/Blease, Bartram (assuming he is fit)

With Newton out Dunn or Gawn has to play, preferably both for mine...

Ins: Dunn, Gawn, Scully, Trengove, Howe, Bartram

Outs: Bate, Newton, Bennell, Evans/Nicholson, Maric, Jetta

FB: Frawley - Warnock - Bartram

HB: MacDonald - Rivers - Morton

C: Scully - Jones - Trengove

HF: Sylvia - Green - Howe

F: Jurrah - Watts - Petterd

R: Gawn - Moloney - Gysberts

I: Dunn - Martin - McKenzie

S: Evans

E: Nicholson - Bennell - Maric

Absolutely Queen C.

Ins: Gawn, Trengove, Scully, Strauss, Bartram.

Outs: Newton, Evans, Maric, Warnock, Bennell.

Scully to sub.

I'd play Scully and sub him off.

If Bartram is still injured then Nicholson gets another run.

I'd play Maric as we're going to need to develop a small forward plus we need to know who to delist at years end.

Strauss is a yes as we need to have some good disposal from defence.

Let's hope the Newton experiment is over.

Having now taken into account Newton's injury & Bartram's likely return I'm now thinking our changes will be.

IN: Bartram, Blease Gawn, Howe, Scully, Strauss, Trengove

OUT: Newton (inj), Bate, Bennell, Evans (stiff), Maric, Morton, Warnock

FB: Frawley, Rivers, Bartram

HB: MacDonald, Martin, Strauss

C: Trengove, McKenzie, Jones

HF: Petterd, Watts, Green

FF: Howe, Jurrah, Jetta

FOLL: Gawn, Moloney, Scully

INT: Gysberts, Nicholson, Sylvia

SUB: Blease

EMERG: Evans, Maric, McDonald

Read my post again Titan. What part of my post supported Dunn coming straight back in? I read somewhere that Bailey said that Dunn was a likely inclusion, and I, like you, couldn't work out why. I know what his form has been like over the past 3 years, and I'm (scratching my head) trying to work out why he is an automatic in. The best I could come up with is exactly what I posted. I'm questioning his selection, and unlike you, am trying to understadn what the FD see in him.

Put it this way, we all think he is out of form, the FD have said that he is a likely inclusion, what do they know that we don't? Would they make a very simple mistake of playing a player that isn't doing what is asked? Even though we may think differently?

If he is doing what is asked of him then we are asking extremely little of him.

I have faith in the FD as much as you do. To the point where I cannot imagine they would be happy with how he played prior to being suspended. Which leads me to conclude that we could not possibly be that stupid as to turn straight back to him. He doesn't deserve it, and if that means we have to throw Howe in, even if the FD doesn't think he's ready, so be it.

Scully, Trengove, Bartram all potentially back!!! 3 verrrry important players. Positive. Shall see how Scullz and Barty pull up during tomorrow's main training sesh.

Debut Gawny, Blease and maybe Howe and Tom McDonald. Time to blood some guys!

Give Strauss a game (wasted draft pick alert!!) and let him do ALL kick-in's. Done.

Dunn needs VFL time.

Bate, Jetta, Bennell, Warnock, Petterd... find form!! Even Jurrah?? Possibly stiff on Warnock, but having all of Rivers, J. Mac and Warnock in the one side doesn't cut it for mine.

Newton... g'luck in rehab mate.

I'd play Scully and sub him off.

I thought the idea of making him the sub seemed pretty good, but CC scotched this in an article (can't remember which sorry), as it means he'd not get the required amount of game time needed to progress his return to match fitness. I guess this seems fairly obvious on reflection. Given that, I agree with you about starting him in the 21 with a view to subbing him off if necessary. West Coast did this with Le Cras in our match to good effect.

My changes:

In: Scully, Trengove, Howe, Gawn

Out: Newton, Bate, Jetta, Warnock.

Dunn can come back via Casey as his pre-suspension form was dreadful.

The word is big Max IS IN. Go Gawn.

I was worried we would be feeding a young Guy to the wolves.

I thought all this year at Casey would be the go but with injuries mounting I am not sure we have any choice.

Who knows he might shine, stranger things have happened.

I was worried we would be feeding a young Guy to the wolves.

I thought all this year at Casey would be the go but with injuries mounting I am not sure we have any choice.

Who knows he might shine, stranger things have happened.

Yeah there is some risk there. But hell surely he will provide more than Spencer did in 2009

Out - Newton, Morton, Nicholson,

In - Gawn, Scully, Trengove

Unfortunately Howe gets another run at Casey, I think blooding 2 players in a game is too hard .

I think we need to keep our runners, Essendon are a running team, Morton doesn't run (or doesn't appear to).

Make Pettard the sub (lets face it his best game this year is off the bench vs the swans)

read the riot act to Bate, Jurrah, Jetta and Bennell

Dunn’s only real problem as a footballer is that he does not find enough of the ball.

I'm pretty sure he has quite a few more problems than that, but honestly that is a pretty damn big one

Dunn can come back via Casey as his pre-suspension form was dreadful.

Amen, although he has to earn any kind of recall because......

Would much rather see a Howe or McDonald given a look going forward?

This sounds far more preferable now.