Supporters Group - Expressions of Interest and Queries

praha

I have been thinking about this for a while. I am an AFL member and sit directly on the wing, first level, Southern Stand. I am generally surrounded by opposition supporters, which sucks. I have to admit that I am jealous when you guys comment on how loud the crowd can be. After having watched last week's game with the cheer squad (my first time EVER sitting with the cheer squad in 20 years of going to the football), I've realised that I want to start up my own group.

I've been a little more vocal the last few years -- I'm not sure why considering our positioning -- and I've developed somewhat of an infatuation with the club, more than I have been in the past.

I was curious as to if anyone knows how I should go about starting a supporter group.

And when I say supporter group, I don't mean a bunch of moms and pops, kids and old ladies that have luncheons every few months.

I am talking about a supporter group that attends EVERY home game, stands (yes, stands) in the exact same spot, and cheers until they start coughing up blood.

The idea I have leans towards a cheer squad of sorts, but one that breaks away from the traditional cheer squad and the "Melbourne - CLAP CLAP CLAP" cheering -- I want to be the first independent cheer group that sits somewhere besides behind the goals (the worst place to watch footy imo).

If anyone has been to a Dallas Mavericks basketball game, you'll know what sort of group I'm thinking of.

I really just want to break away from tradition a bit here and create a 100% fan-made supporter group. I envision a group of young Melbourne supporters -- 18 - 30 -- that are AFL members, don't mind watching the game from standing room, having a few beers and being passionate supporters.

The reason I want to do this is because I think that support around the ground is very important, and I am sick of being outnumbered where I sit. If I'm going to be outnumbered, I want to be with friends and I want to be confident enough to cheer and scream.

This is not something I envision for 2011 but rather for 2012 and beyond. I have a lot of ideas:

1. Create a unique brand that incorporates the Melbourne colours and mascot.

2. Derive a handbook that details etiquette: how to respond to opposing supporters, what NOT to say (basically, I want us to be passionate, but I also want us to be lawful, respectful and...not boganish), what to wear, where to meet.

3. Come up with some cheerful, humorous but timid victory chants whenever the team is on the way to victory (the song will obviously be one)

4. Incorporate social media as much as possible to expand the group, hopefully interstate.

I am looking for expressions of interest before I contact the club for advice and to get things off the ground.

A few things you should know before putting forth interest:

1. The group will be based in the AFL members, Gate 6, First Level, Standing Room. Full AFL Members preferred (for away games) but not essential.

2. You must be 18-35 years of age.

3. You must embrace social networks and be prepared to communicate with prospective members, and represent the group in a respectful and professional manner.

4. Have a deep, powerful voice that's going to get people excited when you cheer.

5. You must have the confidence to cheer and cheer loudly.

6. You must be well-presented and respectful. You can cheer and be passionate without responding to opposition supporters. I don't want the group to turn into a An Current Affair news story.

7. Be prepared to wear branded clothing that showcases your committed to the group (a striking red t-shirt most likely)

I see a group of mates decked out in red all standing along the railings and cheering with gusto and passion and hopefully getting everyone else in the area involved. This is what I vision.

To get it started I'd think that at least 10 members would be needed.

If you have any ideas, feel free to send me a PM. Others, post any opinions, advice or ideas you have below.

Tough to put it in AFL members, there's just not enough people that have it. The best supporter groups are those that are at the front of the stands....probably put it General Admin, get someone to arrive 1-2hrs before and stake out a really good spot at the front of one of the top-tier stands. GSS, right next to AFL members would be awesome.

The only other issue I can see is that I know I would prefer to wear my Melbourne jumper than something else to be honest.

Apart from those issues, I'd be interested.

Edited by Striker475

Tough to put it in AFL members, there's just not enough people that have it. The best supporter groups are those that are at the front of the stands....probably put it General Admin, get someone to arrive 1-2hrs before and stake out a really good spot at the front of one of the top-tier stands. GSS, right next to AFL members would be awesome.

The only other issue I can see is that I know I would prefer to wear my Melbourne jumper than something else to be honest.

Apart from those issues, I'd be interested.

Yeah, I am just thinking of branding the group in some where so to get us recognised. Maybe not a t-shirt, but maybe a cap or even a name on the back of a jumper.

I know there aren't many AFL members that go for Melbourne, so this is why I want to start this up -- to get everyone together and supporting as one.

I guess what I envision is somewhat of a Frat House-type supporter group. Without the illegal shenanigans, of course :P

EDIT: And general admin is Gate 6, right? I know my AFL Members only gets me into Gate 6.

Edited by Cudi_420

Yeah, I am just thinking of branding the group in some where so to get us recognised. Maybe not a t-shirt, but maybe a cap or even a name on the back of a jumper.

I know there aren't many AFL members that go for Melbourne, so this is why I want to start this up -- to get everyone together and supporting as one.

I guess what I envision is somewhat of a Frat House-type supporter group. Without the illegal shenanigans, of course :P

EDIT: And general admin is Gate 6, right? I know my AFL Members only gets me into Gate 6.

Gen admin generally gets you in any gate except MCC & Gate 6 and it's top tier. Best way to do it would seriously be to get people (number depends on who we are playing) to arrive a coupla hours before game-time and shotgun seats for the group. For example, up against Adelaide or somesuch you'd only really need two people, but up against the Filth you might need 4-5 (or even everyone)

Apart from that, it's a good idea and I'd be interested. It would depend on what is happening with other social/work engagements of course, but if I am able to make it to a game (and not sitting MCC when we play against Carlton) I'd certainly be in.

Also, there's responding to opposition and responding to opposition. For example, if a player constantly turns it over to us, I give em a cheer and yell thanks.

Edited by Striker475

I have been thinking about this for a while. I am an AFL member and sit directly on the wing, first level, Southern Stand. I am generally surrounded by opposition supporters, which sucks. I have to admit that I am jealous when you guys comment on how loud the crowd can be. After having watched last week's game with the cheer squad (my first time EVER sitting with the cheer squad in 20 years of going to the football), I've realised that I want to start up my own group.

I've been a little more vocal the last few years -- I'm not sure why considering our positioning -- and I've developed somewhat of an infatuation with the club, more than I have been in the past.

I was curious as to if anyone knows how I should go about starting a supporter group.

And when I say supporter group, I don't mean a bunch of moms and pops, kids and old ladies that have luncheons every few months.

I am talking about a supporter group that attends EVERY home game, stands (yes, stands) in the exact same spot, and cheers until they start coughing up blood.

The idea I have leans towards a cheer squad of sorts, but one that breaks away from the traditional cheer squad and the "Melbourne - CLAP CLAP CLAP" cheering -- I want to be the first independent cheer group that sits somewhere besides behind the goals (the worst place to watch footy imo).

If anyone has been to a Dallas Mavericks basketball game, you'll know what sort of group I'm thinking of.

I really just want to break away from tradition a bit here and create a 100% fan-made supporter group. I envision a group of young Melbourne supporters -- 18 - 30 -- that are AFL members, don't mind watching the game from standing room, having a few beers and being passionate supporters.

The reason I want to do this is because I think that support around the ground is very important, and I am sick of being outnumbered where I sit. If I'm going to be outnumbered, I want to be with friends and I want to be confident enough to cheer and scream.

This is not something I envision for 2011 but rather for 2012 and beyond. I have a lot of ideas:

2. Derive a handbook that details etiquette: how to respond to opposing supporters, what NOT to say (basically, I want us to be passionate, but I also want us to be lawful, respectful and...not boganish), what to wear, where to meet.

3. Come up with some cheerful, humorous but timid victory chants whenever the team is on the way to victory (the song will obviously be one)

4. Incorporate social media as much as possible to expand the group, hopefully interstate.

I am looking for expressions of interest before I contact the club for advice and to get things off the ground.

1. The group will be based in the AFL members, Gate 6, First Level, Standing Room. Full AFL Members preferred (for away games) but not essential.

3. You must embrace social networks and be prepared to communicate with prospective members, and represent the group in a respectful and professional manner.

4. Have a deep, powerful voice that's going to get people excited when you cheer.

6. You must be well-presented and respectful. You can cheer and be passionate without responding to opposition supporters. I don't want the group to turn into a An Current Affair news story.

7. Be prepared to wear branded clothing that showcases your committed to the group (a striking red t-shirt most likely)

I see a group of mates decked out in red all standing along the railings and cheering with gusto and passion and hopefully getting everyone else in the area involved. This is what I vision.

If you have any ideas, feel free to send me a PM. Others, post any opinions, advice or ideas you have below.

Cool make sure we can see you from the MCC Reserve. It all helps make the 'G ours.

-- I want to be the first independent cheer group that sits somewhere besides behind the goals (the worst place to watch footy imo).

oddly enough, before the northern/olympic stand redevelopment, the MFC cheer squad actually used to sit at half forward, in the red seats... was always a great atmosphere

i agree though - behind the goals is a shocking place to watch the footy, although i did move there last week at Etihad to get away from stupid st kilda supporters

good luck with your project

I'm pretty sure Silver AFL Members have the same access during H&A games as Full AFL Members.

This is the type of thing i would be very interested in,

although i am not an AFL member, im a MFC member

Do occasionally have work commitments, have been to 5 games this year, one nab

And like wearing a guernsey to games as was said

You might be better off starting a "who is an AFL member" thread here, on Demonology & on the Melbourne board at Bigfooty. Then pitch your idea to them. It might be enough to get you a small start-up group. Maybe contact the club, show them your idea & if they are cool with it, they may have a way of publicising it for you. While I detest the whole "AFL members" concept, it's a reality and concentrating the Demon support in there is a good idea. Especially as you lot are opposite the TV cameras. The more red & blue on display there, the better.

Good luck with your project

I too have fond memories of the red seats on the half forward flank. Demon territory, opposition supporters enter at own risk.

I stand at the back in the AFL members every week with a few mates. Would be great to team up with others.

Open up the age bracket - people over 35 are not senile....and some don't do Facebook, Twitter, et al

Wasn't there a problem with an "unofficial cheersquad" a couple of seasons ago? that didn't impress the club? I know Richmond and Collingwood have had problems with such groups so not sure how the Dictatorship (pots and kettle Jeff...) would feel about that unfortunately.

I would be interested if you were situated in general admission somewhere. Im usually at the games by myself, so to get to know some other fans would be good!

Thanks for the interest.

I am going to contact the club and speak to them directly about it. I do not want support from the club. I also don't want it to turn into a group of fans that swear and cause trouble. Just a group of good blokes that cheer and yell and get people cheering outside of the cheersquad.

I noticed a few of you asking me to expand the age bracket etc., but that would defeat the purpose of the group. The idea is that we are generally younger, and that we represent the younger generation of Melbourne supporters. It's nothing against the older crowd. My parents are both Melbourne supporters and my dad is one of the old-school fans that would stand in the cold during weekly 100-point beltings throughout the 70s.

I have no intention of enforcing strict rules, but it will be a club of sorts, and I want to create something that has depth, worth, substance and passion. Sometimes you need to create a culture to achieve those things, and sometimes rules and guidelines need to be instilled.

I know not many of you are AFL Members but the point of it is that it's a supporter group FOR AFL members, so having it anywhere besides AFL Members would defeat its purpose.

Guest 36DD

Well you will get around three people in your little posse. I and a number of mates were AFL club support members, harking back from VFL park membership days. All and sundry have given their AFL membership the arse as the AFL continued to up the price yet water down the benefits. Why dont you just get a pass out and start the club in general admin, at least you will have a few more numbers??? From memory pass outs were restricted to big matches i.e. plus 50 or 60,000 of which the dees rarely play in. Just a thought anyways.

i had an afl membership but got rid of it this year and became a trident member just so i could sit with more dees supporters the atmosphere is heaps better in the olympic stand there is 1706 afl members that follow the dees if you could get most of them sitting together it would be good. i would have been interested if i was still an afl member

i had an afl membership but got rid of it this year and became a trident member just so i could sit with more dees supporters the atmosphere is heaps better in the olympic stand there is 1706 afl members that follow the dees if you could get most of them sitting together it would be good. i would have been interested if i was still an afl member

Is the trident seating OK? Does it get you into away games? Finals if we play?

Thanks for the interest.

I am going to contact the club and speak to them directly about it. I do not want support from the club. I also don't want it to turn into a group of fans that swear and cause trouble. Just a group of good blokes that cheer and yell and get people cheering outside of the cheersquad.

I noticed a few of you asking me to expand the age bracket etc., but that would defeat the purpose of the group. The idea is that we are generally younger, and that we represent the younger generation of Melbourne supporters. It's nothing against the older crowd. My parents are both Melbourne supporters and my dad is one of the old-school fans that would stand in the cold during weekly 100-point beltings throughout the 70s.

I have no intention of enforcing strict rules, but it will be a club of sorts, and I want to create something that has depth, worth, substance and passion. Sometimes you need to create a culture to achieve those things, and sometimes rules and guidelines need to be instilled.

I know not many of you are AFL Members but the point of it is that it's a supporter group FOR AFL members, so having it anywhere besides AFL Members would defeat its purpose.

Cudi, If you start this sort of Group and got it up & going,,, consider trying to get a spot adjacent to the southern stand players race... One eof the biggest things melbourne 'Lost', IMO was the Northern players race was 'Once', on the boundary of the MCC, & the MFC supporters reserves. The MFC supporters & their kids get get to the edge of the race to cheer their players 'on & off'.

If your great Idea grows, & you met at that southern stand area, (the one our boys used for that 'Broadbridge game'), this could be the start of something "Special'.

That area is good to watch from around the flanks, and It's more sheltered from the cold southwesterly winds.

Thanks for the interest.

I dont see the point of this? i would have thought you wanted Melbourne supporters/Members to join, asstated their are very few Melbourne/AFL member combinations...why make it so restrictive?

Feel free to SMS me if you need a hand or want to talk further 0411580577

Is the trident seating OK? Does it get you into away games? Finals if we play?

Trident seating is great - level 2 of the northern stand at about half forward.

You can get an away-games version of the membership too, for extra $.

It doesn't get you into finals, but it does get you a guaranteed access to buy a Grand Final ticket if we're in it

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/Membership/Membership2009/TridentMembership/tabid/13280/Default.aspx