WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JACK VINEY

einstein251

Forget about doing dodgy deals with GCS or GWS (ie the AFL). It won't happen.

The best thing for us to do is play by the rules as they were intended. If they false bid they get him. Make it known that's how it will go down, take away their ability to bluff. If there are two stand outs we win by getting the stand out. Play by the rules.

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

That sounds good in theory but how do we satisfy BOTH Gold Coast & GWS? Considering they'll both finish below us we will need to do deals with both of them which is going to look very suss to the AFL who has already warned about draft tampering. I'm resigned that we will use pick 3 on Viney I just hope we don't waste pick 4 on someone who may not be worth it like Boak.

Of course it's good in theory, but it'll be bloody difficult - if it were a fait accompli there wouldn't have been half as many posts about it.

You don't want to "waste" pick 4 on someone like Boak who may not be worth it, but you're perfectly prepared to "waste" it on an unknown kid who may not be worth it?

The thing with Boak is that he has a lot of exposed form, and in the eyes of many he has already proved he IS worth it.

My point is its all well and good to say we have to make a deal with GWS but what about GC? You have to factor them into it as well.

I also didn't mean Boak isn't worth pick 4 (though on reading back it does some like that) my point is more I hope we don't pay overs for someone just becaus they are the players that happen to be available this year. Boak may be worth it, I haven't really seen enough of him to say otherwise (or really noticed him when I have watched Port).

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/melbourne-father-son-prospect-jack-viney-wants-to-prove-merit-on-form-not-name/story-e6frf9jf-1226412715126

Direct quotes from Jack.

Tough to read:

"He (Todd) has got his lips shut about a few things, I don't think he's telling me too much," Viney said.

"He's just told me that if they don't reckon I'm worth what they have to use, then they won't pick me.

"I've just got to try and work hard this year and hopefully make it worthwhile at the pick."

A likely first round bid from Greater Western Sydney will mean the Dees will have to use their first choice, (currently No. 3) to pick the 178cm clearance machine.

While Viney said he would be "initially disappointed" to leave the club he has been training at in part for the past two years, the under-18 gem was happy to get an opportunity at any AFL club.

Again, I will reiterate that this gives cover to a 'nervous' GWS and GC that we might call their bluff and allows them to have an excuse for not bidding for him as we do a deal.

But that last line should serve as a warning to those who think he will simply come home in a years time or whatever that wet dream was.

My point is its all well and good to say we have to make a deal with GWS but what about GC? You have to factor them into it as well.

and if you had read previous posts (not just this thread) you would see that a number of posters have put up reasonable scenarios that address all 3 sides' needs

its not impossible

Surely regardless of what we are saying publicly we would be in Jack's ear to tell him we will be taking him regardless and it is all just smoke and mirrors to try and get him with our second round pick. I'd hope we're not stupid enough to be making him sweat on it and possibly putting doubts in his mind about our commitment to him.

• Like 1

Surely regardless of what we are saying publicly we would be in Jack's ear to tell him we will be taking him regardless and it is all just smoke and mirrors to try and get him with our second round pick. I'd hope we're not stupid enough to be making him sweat on it and possibly putting doubts in his mind about our commitment to him.

See my post above.

Either we are putting those doubts in, via his father, or he has Scully-like lying abilities...

and if you had read previous posts (not just this thread) you would see that a number of posters have put up reasonable scenarios that address all 3 sides' needs

its not impossible

Yeah fair enough, I was just commenting on that particular post of Jose's I read. It won't be impossible but I think it is improbable. Would be happy to be proven wrong though.

Yeah fair enough, I was just commenting on that particular post of Jose's I read. It won't be impossible but I think it is improbable. Would be happy to be proven wrong though.

but the point is doc that a number of theoretical scenarios provide proof that the concept can work and can be a win-win for all 3 clubs

no point over-arguing any specific scenario because it's not us who will do the deal, just pointing out that is in fact quite possible

getting mitch looked quite improbable too

• Like 1

If we act with integrity, it should all work out. We have made it known we will not be bullied into taking any player, even a son of a former great, at a pick higher than his value. In other words we always do the best thing by the club. That is all that needs to be said. If GWS or GC, if we are 16th, nominate him, he is their's. We then go up a pick and so be it.

• Like 1

So hypothetically, if Port finish below us then they could quite easily take him too? Same with Bulldogs?

If this is the case then we could be doing 'deals' with a lot more than just 2 clubs.

the higher we finish the less of an issue it becomes

If we act with integrity, it should all work out. We have made it known we will not be bullied into taking any player, even a son of a former great, at a pick higher than his value. In other words we always do the best thing by the club. That is all that needs to be said. If GWS or GC, if we are 16th, nominate him, he is their's. We then go up a pick and so be it.

^This. Integrity. There's no use burning bridges when there could possibly be win-wins for all concerned.

Viney want sto prove his worth as noted above

Melbourne father-son prospect Jack Viney wants to prove merit on form, not name, so goes the Herlad article.

You could take it for its face value or its just another cog in the merry-go-round of spinning smoke and mirrors.

God, how much more of this reconstituted rubbish will we endure between now and the EOS ??

Might just get a chair and prop muself up high in the middle and watch everything go round and around !!!

Edited by belzebub59

yep if GWS or GC bid on viney they are takin the [censored] there is better players available at picks 1 and 2 personally i would rather finish as high as we can so it wont matter, but we are 2 far behind now and without clark 16th looks likely

God, how much more of this reconstituted rubbish will we endure between now and the EOS ??

Fun being a Melbourne fan, isn't it ? The wait.....

2009 ....waiting for the end of the season

2011....T$/MFC/GWS saga

• Like 1

So hypothetically, if Port finish below us then they could quite easily take him too? Same with Bulldogs?

If this is the case then we could be doing 'deals' with a lot more than just 2 clubs.

well if it gets to more than 2 clubs it gets exponentially more difficult if not impossible

I simply wouldn't pick him over Wines on what I saw today. That's only my opinion.

On what you saw today ?

Good grief man. Even Wines speaks in awe of Viney. And Viney was clearly rusty coming off a 6 week break from a broken jaw. Viney is exactly the inside quality mid we need. Based on their history you'd choose Viney.

I absolutely love Toumpas' class, movement and poise. Being the SA captain he'd add to the quality type of people we're developing. And there's no doubt that Garlett is really special. I don't know where he fits in from a draft perspective, but he looks better than Yarran who went at 6.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 1

Yeah, recruiters wouldn't bank their decisions on the back of one day. That's for sure. They've been watching them for some time, in most cases have kept tabs on them for a couple of years. Like Viney.

I've been posting on forums about Jack Viney since his Ashburton junior days some 6 years ago. He's what we need and I'd love to have him. That said, we need to make sure we get the best players possible with the picks at our disposal and if that means making a tough call on Viney should he be nominated by those before us then so be it.

At the end of the day it's about getting the best talent into our football club. I understand the supposed cultural argument and family aspect, but I also understand that being bent over with sandpaper as a lubricant as opposed to KY is unpalatable.

I'm feeling far more confident that we'll get Viney with our second round pick, but if push comes to shove and we're being asked to pay overs - based on our recruiters ratings - then I'll back the club to make the hard decision. I don't expect it will come to it.

• Like 1

We will pick him as he is a gun.I think he is No.1 if we actually had to take him.I have no doubt he is the best going around but there are plenty of quality mids to pick from.Going to be a very interesting draft,

At the end of the day it's about getting the best talent into our football club. I understand the supposed cultural argument and family aspect, but I also understand that being bent over with sandpaper as a lubricant as opposed to KY is unpalatable.

Interesting imagery...

But lets not forget that we still get Viney in a Dees jumper after we use sandpaper as a lubricant..and then get sodomised...

Interesting imagery...