Rivers today

As good as his second half was. His first quarter was appalling.

Yeah, I think everybody forgot about that. Played like last week in the first half, played the best I've seen him play in the second.

As good as his second half was. His first quarter was appalling.

Like a lot of his teammates, with the exception of Jones in the first.

Yeah, I think everybody forgot about that. Played like last week in the first half, played the best I've seen him play in the second.

And third and fourth....

He played with a lot of confidence in his own ability today.

Everyone sitting around me commented on how well he played.

He has played a few of these games in the last year or so. Saved our bacon today, again. But I'm not expecting many comments from the Rivers' critics this week. They know who they are.

BB59 in particular thought his career was finished in '09. Two years and counting...

And third and fourth....

What I meant was his first half yesterday was very similar to how he played last week. :P

I thought he was pretty good today, but agree re: the first quarter (at one stage Riv looked both too small and too slow for big Leuenberger, which was worrying).

Agree. But the delivery and leads by the Leunberger (should be used for marketing by McDonalds) were second to none, thanks to our midfield not pressing and applying pressure in the first. Rivers has good reach and leap for a backman defensively, but that was a big task to quell the big Burger out in front on the lead or caught out of position thanks to the kicks from their mids.

I'm a big fan of Rivers and thought that he wasn't so bad last week given the supply the Hawks had. He was near on worst player on the ground against the Swans in round 1, but last week he was good all things considered, and this week he has come back to what we (well most of us) have come to expect from him. He's a lot better one-on-one than a lot of MFC supporters give him credit for IMO. Gets a lot of spoils in one-out, not just this week, every week. Obviously one-on-one is not the strongest part of his game (dropping off his man and providing a chop out for others is), but the way some people around here go on about Rivers being vulnerable when isolated (not in this particular thread, but a lot in recent times) and being a dumb footballer, making out like he's Zac Dawson or something. My issue with Rivers is being overambitious/lazy with his footskills (which aren't great), and getting burnt by quicker leading players. On his side, i've always felt he is a smart player who can read the play unfolding upfield, and has always been able to take clean one grab marks floating across packs.

Today, along with sporting an iron fist, he played to these strengths, and he was fantastic.

I have been pretty critical of Riv lately (in my head not vocally), and nothing seemed like it would change in the first quarter (that said, he was by no means alone, what an appalling quarter). Then came the second quarter. Wow, what a change. Everyone lifted, and by the end of the game, my opinion of Riv is on the change. I'd like to see a couple more performances like that from him, cause we all know he has the ability, but what a performance. He really chipped in and helped save our skin when the Lions were pushing for goal. Let this be just a taste of things to come.

I was critical of Jared in the Match thread in the first quarter even questioning why he was still playing AFL however, his second half and equally his second quarter were terrific.

My minor concern with him is that he often attempts to mark when punching is clearly the better option, especially deep in defence. I love when he comes across as a third man to mark eg. last quarter after Jones turned it over but, when one on one he tries to mark far too often imo.

Rivers was great in the closing stages of the game in particular, but he gets led to the ball by his direct opponent to often for my liking. If a 200cm gorilla is repeatedly leading you to the ball by 5 metres, you're in strife. Still, by the end of the game was one of our best.

Edited by Deemolition

Rivers was great in the closing stages of the game in particular, but he gets led to the ball by his direct opponent to often for my liking. If a 200cm gorilla is repeatedly leading you to the ball by 5 metres, you're in strife. Still, by the end of the game was one of our best.

its a hard call to let your gorilla lead you to the ball and hope he dooesnt have the skills to take it properly. If you lead a gorrilla to the ball the mids will simply kick it over the back or sit it up to pluck out before the back has a chance. Maybe big Stef could have been given that job.

Rivers was terrific yesterday! Took good marks when they were there, when they werent he spoiled the ball and kept his feet. Also put on quite a few good tackles.

Lets remember though that brisbane probably have THE WORST forward line in the league. So having a great performance as a defender should be expected. Grimes, Frawley and in particular Garland have to be better. Garland has been very soft lately with horrible disposal. Also Grimes seems to have a lost a lot of his confidence and decision making.

The thing that I always like about Rivers, is his ablitiy to read the play. What a lot of people probably don't see is that he rarely plays the loose man role. What he does, which will often go unnoticed, is he leaves his man to make a spoil and kill the ball. It's just unfortunate that sometimes it backfires and his player is on his own and generally gets a goal from it.

I thought Garland was as soft as butter yesterday, he's got a big frame, he needs to use it more.

Grimes was a lot better with his disposal yesterday. Anyone know how many times he kicked out from full back? His disposal is so much better when he's moving the ball quicker and doesn't have to omuch time to think.

The way he read the ball in the air was deffinately a return to form. My only main criticism of his game, was that he went to ground far too often. Gotta keep your feet and stay in the contest.

Rivers was in his element in the last quarter and he took some match saving marks. Opposition forward line lacking key targets where delivery was poor inside 50 by the opposition midfielders. Yesterday was his day to make hay for Jared. The issue is and has been demonstrated in the previous two games that he struggles against quality forward where his lack of foot speed, questionable body on body and medicore disposal skills get found out.