MFC Training (Friday)

Bhima

Okay, got to see the boys in action for about an hour this morning, just a few thoughts.

It was windy out there today and it has to be said that it was not an overly impressive training session with a lot of boys missing targets by hand and foot.

Who was looking good...

Col Sylvia: was the cleanest player out there, consistently hitting targets and showing physical intensity. Let's hope he can stay fit because he looks set for a big 2011.

Jake Spencer: I'm putting myself out there for criticism but with the talk of who will have a break out year in 2011, Jake in my view will be one of the big improvers. As I said, it was windy, yet he continued to both kick accurately both on goal and in short kicking drills. He still has an awkward technique, yet on the right foot his style is starting to resemble Cox of West Coast. Jake looks confident and kept having shots of goal as if he'd figured out how it all works. He even kicked a long bomb from the boundary as he was leaving the track. He is also moving well and I'm genuinely interested to see how his training form will translate on match day.

Tom Scully: His short kicking today looked powerful and accurate, didn't get to see him kicking over long distances. He floats across the top of the ground and although he is still lightly built, he carries himself like a senior player at training and just looked really sharp. Many players didn't finish the training session but Sculls was one of the the last ones out there.

Nathan Jones: Watching Jonesy made me really glad he didn't leave. His kicking has improved and he hit up players well on the lead, looked good on left and right, and generally is very professional. There are so many young players in the team Jonesy actually looks like a veteran amongst them and with Bruce leaving Jones is important. He stuck around a bit after the main session and kicked to J Watts on the lead several times, was good to see.

Jamie Bennell/Aussie Wonnaemirri: Both players were doing more work with the midfield group today. Jamie is looking really sharp and athletic while Aussie's kicking was a feature in the wind. Although Aussie has excellent tackling skills, his kicking at training is always a feature and what makes him a potential weapon.

Who was not there/Not training with the main group.

Notable absentees: J Frawley, M Jamar, B Green.

Nev Jetta, J MacDonald, L Tapscott and J Fitzpatrick were all kicking to each other on the side lines. All were moving fairly freely and J Fitzpatrick was showing he has some kicking ability on this left foot. He and Tapscott were running around, kicking to each other on the lead, and the penetration Fitzy was getting on the left was impressive. Tapscott looked pretty disinterested tbh. I think he is sick of not being able to train with the main group. His build reminds me of Shannon Hurn, massive legs, can't wait to see him out with the rest of the boys.

Strangely L Jurrah was taking part in the handball drills but then I didn't see him after that, which was disappointing.

Those Returning From Injury

Sam Blease: Took part in the first half of the session and at one point addressed the whole team (dunno what he said) and won a round of applause. He was moving freely, kicking well and looking sharp. He did not participate in the more physical drills but was good to see him out there.

Jack Grimes: Grimesy is looking really good. Bit more muscle on him and running unhindered. Took part in most of the session (only about 20 players actually completed the whole session) and it was great to see him out there.

Max Gawn and Steph Martin: Ran 6-7 laps on the boundary, took part in a few ruck drills and then left training. Gawn already has very impressive muscle mass for his age and looked in better nick than Martin.

James Strauss: Didn't recognise him at first, although he was moving a bit like a thinner version of James Frawley. He completed kicking and handball drills but not the more physical drills. He was looking very fit and keen, would like to see him on the Wing this year without as much pressure as he would be under in the backline.

Jordie Gysberts: Was training with the main group, although on several occasions fumbled the ball and did not look particularly good. He was moving well however and his fitness is the most important thing. Still looking rake thin.

Other Notes

Rohan Bail was training with the backline players, possibly we will see more of him down back next year. Garland, Rivers and Bartram all moved well.

Jack Watts was marking well on the lead but missed his set shots on goal. He seemed to be trying to guide the ball the way LJ does and I reckon he needs to kick through it. You knew if he missed as he would have to do ten push ups. When he missed a third shot on goal the whole team had to do ten push ups.

Although it has only been two months since the season finished, both Watts and Jordie Mckenzie look bigger (at least to me). Jordie also seems to have pretty good height, clearly looking taller than Trengove (even though only listed as 1cm taller).

It was a good hour long session...saw the collingwood boys for about half an hour. I think it's great that the Dees train next to the reigning premiers.

Any other questions or quieries, feel free to ask.

Cheers.

Really good report thanks, can't get there so early in the year.

You won't get criticism from me re Spencer, the FD is doing everything right with him, he will mature in body and skill together and will understudy Jamar and be right at his peak when he becomes the No 1 hopefully in about 3 or 4 years ...

I was also at training today and pretty much agreed with everything Bhima said.

Observations that I thought were pleasing to see:

Morton definitely looks like he is finally growing into his body. Hopefully he continues the improvement in size throughout the pre-season.

Big Maxy Gawn is big. He too has definitely put some muscle on and I am tipping he will get some senior games in 2011. His body is a lot further developed than I had thought. He is going to be an absolute man mountain in a couple of years. He will be a weapon.

Spenser has also put on some descent baulk and looks set to play a fair bit of senior football next year. He looked fit and imposing.

Jack Watts is no longer a skinny kid. He looks like he has been hitting the gym and i'd say by the end of this pre-season he will have a frame ready to really start contributing and standing up to AFL football.

He will start to worry opposition teams from next year onwards, as he will start to really influence games. He looked very good.

There were a lot of forward drills with Jack, Ricky and Dunn leading up the ground, but with Jack leading from deep in the square. I liked what i saw.

They are definitely building a team around Jack (and LJ).

Newton moved very well. Looks like he is trying to put on some size, particularly on the legs. Didn't think he looked fat, as recent photos suggested.

I reckon he has a big role to play in our side next year with the new interchange rule.

Blease was up and runnning in all the drills and looked lively. He is very deadly on his left foot which i wasn't aware of. Very pleasing to see. Looks to have his pace back. A solid pre-season will really set him up for a big year.

Ricky Petterd is in full training. Great to have him back running around. He is going to be a superstar.

Colin Sylvia. I reckon he is set for a massisve year. A class above. I just hope he gets to play a full year without injuries. My tip for All Aust 2011.

Tom Scully is so impressive to watch on the track. Absolute professional. Fast. Kicking was perfect today. He is a turbo Porsche.

Dunn looks to have added some meat to his legs. He looks even more powerful. Looks like they have finally realised he could be a power forward. He was doing a lot of work with the forwards leading out of the square.

Tapscott is a beast. He also has seriously gotten bigger in the legs and shoulders. He is going to annilate players in the future. He is one powerful looking dude. Can't wait to see him hit his straps. Though he was only doing light drills.

Grimes and Wona training hard and completed the full session.

Trengove also looks to have put on a bit of size and trimmed some puppy fat. He's going to be a Rolls Royce.

As i was watching i just thought maybe we might mature as a group a year earlier than i thought.

I've always thought 2013 will be our year, but gees they looked good out there today and pre-season has only just started.

Can't wait to see the improvement by the end of the pre-season.

A lot to get excited about for next year and beyond.

The only negative was that I didn't see LJ out there. I did arrive half way through the session, but i couldn't find out why he wasn't there.

Couldn't agree more regarding Nathan Jones as a leader - he leads by example every time. Not the most skilled player in the team, nor the quickest, but amongst the most determined and gutsiest.

Many thanks for the reports and insights Bhima and Haydo. As a Canberra Dee, I can't get enough of this type of info, especially during the off-season. Great work and please keep it coming whenever you can.

Colin Sylvia. I reckon he is set for a massisve year. A class above. I just hope he gets to play a full year without injuries. My tip for All Aust 2011.

As i was watching i just thought maybe we might mature as a group a year earlier than i thought.

I've always thought 2013 will be our year, but gees they looked good out there today and pre-season has only just started.

Can't wait to see the improvement by the end of the pre-season.

A lot to get excited about for next year and beyond.

As I said, on board with the Col Sylvia call.

In regards to maturing a year earlier, don't forget that Geelong and St Kilda were playing deep into the finals in 2004 and 2005.

Both lost in the Prelims in 2004 and Saints did the same again in 2005, while Geelong lost by 3 points in the Semi to eventual premier Sydney.

I think we are on a similar trajectory.

Great report. Thanks. We are looking good having a turbo Porsche and a Rolls Royce in the midfield this year.

Not sure that I want a Rolls Royce in the middle at the moment after last week's QANTAS episode B)

RR (not you RR) has a lot of explaining to do ...

Did anyone see anything in terms of leadership?

It's an interesting question DD.

I remember being at training last year and noting the understated yet tangeable presence of James McDonald. He seemed so focussed and serious that if you were a player you would know he would be taking notes and address anything less than a professional attitude to training. To be honest, Col Sylvia stood out to me as clearly having the biggest presence at training today. He just looked uncompromising and set the standard with his physicality and skills for the rest of the players. Grimes is perhaps similar to McDonald in the focussed way he carries himself. I also mentioned that Jones has a really positive influence on the training track. Davey was there, but other than his moustache he was not a noticeable 'leader' on the track. Moloney was also around but I didn't notice him much either. Although I agreed with the FD that J Mac should move on to let others develop, I think leadership will be an interesting challenge for MFC to address with such a young team. Scully has a real aura at training but I wonder if he isn't too focussed on his own performance to become captain one day. It's a shame Green wasn't there, or Frawley or Jamar for that matter.

Just my thoughts, could be completely wrong mind you, as very much an outside observer than has no insight into the day to day workings of the club.

Cheers

Porsche's ...Roller's ??? Finally breaking that Range Rover tag !!! phew....at last :rolleyes:

It's an interesting question DD.

I remember being at training last year and noting the understated yet tangeable presence of James McDonald. He seemed so focussed and serious that if you were a player you would know he would be taking notes and address anything less than a professional attitude to training. To be honest, Col Sylvia stood out to me as clearly having the biggest presence at training today. He just looked uncompromising and set the standard with his physicality and skills for the rest of the players. Grimes is perhaps similar to McDonald in the focussed way he carries himself. I also mentioned that Jones has a really positive influence on the training track. Davey was there, but other than his moustache he was not a noticeable 'leader' on the track. Moloney was also around but I didn't notice him much either. Although I agreed with the FD that J Mac should move on to let others develop, I think leadership will be an interesting challenge for MFC to address with such a young team. Scully has a real aura at training but I wonder if he isn't too focussed on his own performance to become captain one day. It's a shame Green wasn't there, or Frawley or Jamar for that matter.

Just my thoughts, could be completely wrong mind you, as very much an outside observer than has no insight into the day to day workings of the club.

Cheers

thanks for your report and insight into the performance. wish i could get down to see them too.