Jack Viney commits to Demons

Bay Riffin

Guest Thomo

I don't understand the point of this. Why are we making a commitment now that we don’t have to do for two years?

Two years until we have to commit, a lot can happen. Jack Darling was a certain top 3 draft pick 12 months ago, Swift was so far ahead of anyone else at 16. Daniel rich was a star at 16 and no one had heard of Watts or Hill. With this commitment to Viney, I'm sure other clubs will bid a first round pick to ensure Melbourne have to take Viney with their first round. Will we now have to commit our first round draft pick if he does his knee twice in the next two years, or develops a serious illness?

Emma Quayle on Twitter;

"Reports about Jack Viney being removed from GWS' reach are, once again, wrong. He would not have fallen into the right age bracket. Trust me "

So why have the Dees done this today? Marketing? Sentiment? I thought that the current administration was much more cut throat and business savvy than that.

Surely Melbourne can help with his development and have him mentored by the right people without officially signing him. If he is worth a good pick in two years time, that's great, but why commit now when we do not have to?

It might be “cool” news, but is it a smart move?

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the point of this. Why are we making a commitment now that we don’t have to do for two years?

Two years until we have to commit, a lot can happen. Jack Darling was a certain top 3 draft pick 12 months ago, Swift was so far ahead of anyone else at 16. Daniel rich was a star at 16 and no one had heard of Watts or Hill. With this commitment to Viney, I'm sure other clubs will bid a first round pick to ensure Melbourne have to take Viney with their first round. Will we now have to commit our first round draft pick if he does his knee twice in the next two years, or develops a serious illness?

Emma Quayle on Twitter;

"Reports about Jack Viney being removed from GWS' reach are, once again, wrong. He would not have fallen into the right age bracket. Trust me "

So why have the Dees done this today? Marketing? Sentiment? I thought that the current administration was much more cut throat and business savvy than that.

Surely Melbourne can help with his development and have him mentored by the right people without officially signing him. If he is worth a good pick in two years time, that's great, but why commit now when we do not have to?

I have to say, I kind of agree.

It might be sentimental, it might be a lift, it might sound good, but really, how do we know if he's going to be any good in 2013?

Emma Quayle seems to think he wasn't in GWS's target, so we could have had him in 2012 if we wanted him.

I'm pretty sure he'll turn out to be a good player, but making a commitment now is, to me, a little risky.

I don't understand the point of this. Why are we making a commitment now that we don't have to do for two years?

Emma Quayle on Twitter;

It might be "cool" news, but is it a smart move?

It's really difficult to find the negatives in an announcement like today but well done - you've managed it.

Rest assured that if serious misfortune befell Jack Viney in the next two years, no other club would be so callous as to force us to use a first-round pick on a player that was seriously crocked. AFL clubs are cutthroat environments, no doubt, but they are still in the 'people' business and a tactic such as that would be beyond the pale.

Further, Emma Quayle is right. Jack cannot be taken by GWS as one of its priority 17-year-olds as he is a year too young. He is eligible to be pre-listed by GC as one of four 17-year-olds born between Jan-April '94 on the condition that he is traded to one of the other 17 clubs. That's even less certainty than what is provided in the AFL draft.

Understand this: Jack Viney is probably the best under-16 footballer in the country. He is certainly among the top three. That sort of talent rarely goes wasted, and even more rarely when surrounded by a stable, supportive environment. Daniel Rich might not have been a No.1 pick but he's still an outstanding footballer.

If it makes you feel better to hunt for every possible negative in a situation like that, go ahead. But don't expect to emerge unscathed by criticism.

The Vineys will be on the Run Home after 4 on sen today

This may seem like a dumb question but why cant we draft him in next years draft? He will be 17 and he will be 18 in 2012. Is he to young to be drafted?

2013 seems ages away and I dont really want to wait until then to see him play. But at least its something to look foward to and scully and trengove would have really settled into melbourne by then.

To further spell it out, Viney is not highly rated because he is bigger than the other kids or because he is more athletic.

His success has been derived largely from his attack on the football, his excellent decision making and his good hands. None of these things will get any worse as he gets older - unlike the early-developing youngster who finds the rest have caught up to him by the time they reach under-18 level.

He'll grow, he'll get fitter and stronger and he will gain more experience. None of these will hinder his development and there is no doubt he will be a highly draftable commodity by the time the 2012 draft comes around.

By that stage, one would expect Melbourne to be looking at a pick around the No.12 mark and that should prove a bargain when selecting Jack Viney.

Fair dinkum some of you'd complain if you won 1st div lotto !!! Lol

Melbourne wanted him. He's a football prodigy and we snared him, and fairly cheaply really.

The Dees are going from strength to strength. There's no real downside.

Can all the Ckickenlittles just go somewhere ... Far . .. far .. AWAY !!!

Great news that young Jack has committed to the Dees early on and has (as the club puts it) a clear path now.

Just a little hazy on what exactly it was that he signed (contract/MOU) and curious about any exclusion clauses.

In any case it's a positive announcement and with news like this it would be easy to understand why up and coming players would see MFC as a great club to be a part of.

A good mate of mine is one of Jack's best friends. Basically, Carey unlike in year 7 are not giving Jack a scholarship, Melbourne are paying for his final years of Tuition. Basically, this now means that the Demons has 100% control over where he plays his football. Obviously, Carey are not in love with this idea as their 1st XVIII football team no longer will have full use of him but in terms of the MFC its good news. We can choose to play him in a mixture of school, oakleigh chargers and potentially vfl reserves to get his body fully ready for AFL Football!

Guest DeesPower

I have it on very good authority for his x-coach, to inside our club and from a friend of mine involved with recruiting at the Adelaide FC that if the 2012 draft was today Jack Viney would be picked #1. We were always going to get Jack, nevertheless, this is awesome news.

I have similar contacts in the SANFL and they say that Viney is one of the best of all time out of SA for his age. Not unlike Trengove but better according to my sources. Would a clear number one in any of the last two years apparently.

I think the MFC has absolutely done the right thing here. Being proactive is a sensible way to go. It shows we are serious about success.

Guest Thomo

It's really difficult to find the negatives in an announcement like today but well done - you've managed it.

Rest assured that if serious misfortune befell Jack Viney in the next two years, no other club would be so callous as to force us to use a first-round pick on a player that was seriously crocked. AFL clubs are cutthroat environments, no doubt, but they are still in the 'people' business and a tactic such as that would be beyond the pale.

Further, Emma Quayle is right. Jack cannot be taken by GWS as one of its priority 17-year-olds as he is a year too young. He is eligible to be pre-listed by GC as one of four 17-year-olds born between Jan-April '94 on the condition that he is traded to one of the other 17 clubs. That's even less certainty than what is provided in the AFL draft.

Understand this: Jack Viney is probably the best under-16 footballer in the country. He is certainly among the top three. That sort of talent rarely goes wasted, and even more rarely when surrounded by a stable, supportive environment. Daniel Rich might not have been a No.1 pick but he's still an outstanding footballer.

If it makes you feel better to hunt for every possible negative in a situation like that, go ahead. But don't expect to emerge unscathed by criticism.

So you think if Melbourne did not deem Viney a first round pick due to unforeseen circumstances, other clubs are in the people business so they will say OK, you guys jumped the gun, but we're going to help you out and let you take him later? And you are able assure me that this is the case? Delusional or extremely well connected to be able to speak on behalf of all 17 club? I think the first

Emma Quayle on Twitter;

Well said, Eore.

They did this to keep other clubs from chatting him up closer to the date.

We have obviously been in his ear - as we should be.

We have the means to secure him - which we definitely should use.

We have obviously rated the youngsters coming through with him and made a determination - as we should.

We have told the kid, and the world that we will take him as its a no-brainer - as we should.

And if it doesn't work out he will cost us Pick 14 and around $160k.

But if it does work out...

Please bear in mind that one Tom Swift was declared by none other than Michael Voss to be the best 16 year old he had ever laid eyes upon.

Ok, since then Vossy has shown he is not exactly the best judge of talent in the caper, but it is worth being mindful of.

So you think if Melbourne did not deem Viney a first round pick due to unforeseen circumstances, other clubs are in the people business so they will say OK, you guys jumped the gun, but we're going to help you out and let you take him later? And you are able assure me that this is the case? Delusional or extremely well connected to be able to speak on behalf of all 17 club? I think the first

If you want an iron-clad guarantee that won't happen, then I can't give that to you. No one can.

But I've spent enough time among people involved with AFL clubs to know that goodwill and good character is as highly valued for club staff as it is for players.

As I said earlier, you're desperate to find the negatives in this situation. Good for you. But one of us in this thread is looking increasingly delusional and it's not me.

Emmas lateral radar must be on the blink. Gws could grab him by devious means . ( could have) GC could have prelisted himmand GWs could have been the recipient of the on trade. They'd have the most picks to trade and WOULD have to secure such a talent.

MFC have thought it all through. They just shut the gate. Well done