• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Cameron Bruce

WonnaJurah

No doubt there will a be lot more trashed elsewhere. Memorabilia collectors here is your chance. Bruce collectables in Melbourne colours will be a rare item one day. Go out and get as many as you can find.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about sloppy, emotive, sensationalist journalism. What the hell does the Miller situation have with the Bruce one - plenty of clubs have been dumping older players who can't hold down a regular place in the side. And by older, I don't mean 30+ either! And if McDonald is really "in the form of his life", where are the clubs all over him to sign? Not to mention, McDonald played 4 years past 30 - as Cam could have done if he'd wanted and been able to.

I agree that article is really badly written.I think some people are not happy about Melbourne re-emerging as a force. People want Melbourne to stay the "nice" club.

That said Cam Bruce is going to regret this decision in a big way. If he plays at Hawthorn for less money then he loses all my respect.

I agree that article is really badly written.I think some people are not happy about Melbourne re-emerging as a force. People want Melbourne to stay the "nice" club.

There may actually be more than an ounce of reality about this line of thought. For many ( too many ) years weve been viewed as that granpa club A bit like a pair of comfortable slippers...its all warm and fuzzy without imposing too much. It wont suit many that the Demon is a live and hungry now

That said Cam Bruce is going to regret this decision in a big way. If he plays at Hawthorn for less money then he loses all my respect.

Bruce will be regretting it the first time he lines up against us. They'll be a few wanting to correct his "misinterpretations" of his demise.

btw Bruce, Brent says hello.....no...not that one !!! :)

Most glaring insight from Sheehan:

"Brad Green becomes the club's most experienced player on 220 games, Aaron Davey is next with 139, Brent Moloney, Jared Rivers and Colin Sylvia the only others with more than 100 to their name.

By contrast, Collingwood will go into next year with 14 players with more than 100 games, and the Magpies see themselves as a developing group."

Not to compare ourselves directly to Pies, but even with, say, Cats on the rise there was a solid foundation of veterns mixed with exciting youngsters - we've now consistently lost some of our best veterans over past 3 years to the point we're reduced to 5! (nearly only 3 with Rivers and Moloney averaging about 10 games a season!)

Be interesting to see how Hawks go this year with their "mixed" recruitment policy (tho chances are could end up like North!)

Question for the future: will we end up doing some "topping up" with seniors in drafts when we get close?

The list demographic is actually fantastic, if you fast forward 3-5 years.

One of the problems you normally find as you head towards a flag tilt is that you've got to nab one fast because otherwise you're going to start losing important players - look at the WB (ie. Johnson, Eagleton, Aker, etc).

Melbourne isn't going to have this problem - the only guy we're going to lose due to old age any time soon is Green (and I think he's the kind of player who could play well past 30).

Our 'window' should be bigger than most, which dramatically increases our chances of winning a flag. This is something that's made me very optimistic about our future.

This is not a comment regarding Cam, this is in response to the astounding number of posts having a go at "how we treat our players".

I say Bravo and its about time the MFC started acting professionally as this is a professional game. In business if you were limited to a certain number of employees and could only pay a certain amount of money then this discussion wouldnt be happening. No player wants to hear that the football club considers that their time is up. This is not played out in the media - there is dialogue with the players. Cameron Bruce didnt want to hear that we will only guarantee him one year. Ooze and Whitey - both wonderful players did not want to hear that there were better alternatives - go with the youth.

Players fit into clubs - clubs do not fit in with players. MFC has not seriously misread Cameron Bruce - the negotiations with Aaron Davey - he wanted four year - we wanted him and did not play Russian Roulette. With Cameron Bruce there was always a doubt that unless we could give him guarantees he would walk. The FD weighed up the risk and decided - take it - or leave it

Again - Bravo MFC for acting like a professional football club

I agree 100%. Bruce has been well paid for a number of years, he's leaving for money and the offer of a 2 year deal. So regardless of form/injury he'll play against us for the next 2 years. So much for backing himself and producing in 2011 thereby getting another year with us. You have to question whether he ever played for the jumper. It's not like he hasn't been earning good coin for a number of years - he obviously wasn't committed to the dream of a Melbourne premiership, because he's [censored] off any chance of playing in one with us. I'll be remembering the next premiership group in years to come, not a player who left for money.

Agree, only one party has played this immorally and it's not the club. How is honesty immoral Cam?

This pea hearted weakling ran from the challenge of earning his spot and dumped on the club to cover his rectum. WEAK!

Can't wait to shower him in abuse next year and I hope and pray Beama runs straight through him.

Immoral... How is what he did immoral? We have no idea of the inner workings of the negotiations in anyway, media rumor and innuendo aside.

He played FOOTBALL for a club for 200 odd games and was at some points a Brownlow medal favorite. He was apparently offered contract, he apparently wanted more, apparently his employer didn't budge he apparently thinks he will get a better contract for his needs somewhere else. I don't see anything immoral in that.

Immoral... How is what he did immoral? We have no idea of the inner workings of the negotiations in anyway, media rumor and innuendo aside.

He played FOOTBALL for a club for 200 odd games and was at some points a Brownlow medal favorite. He was apparently offered contract, he apparently wanted more, apparently his employer didn't budge he apparently thinks he will get a better contract for his needs somewhere else. I don't see anything immoral in that.

Ralph wrote an article saying we were seen as immoral in the eyes of Bruce or words to that effect.

He wants to win a flag, fine.

My problem is with this [censored] he has created through Nixon which leads this board full of MFCSS because we are to blame for acting in our own interests.

Ralph wrote an article saying we were seen as immoral in the eyes of Bruce or words to that effect.

He wants to win a flag, fine.

My problem is with this [censored] he has created through Nixon which leads this board full of MFCSS because we are to blame for acting in our own interests.

Yes it is sad that Cameron has caused this shitestorm, but i think the photograph earlier in this thread is how it will be remembered in the not too distant future. Cameron was offered a solid contract for next year, a year the club should make finals & he walked. Considering the contract deal he managed to sign 4 years ago, i find the whole thing most distasteful.

As far as the GF was concerned Bruce was INJURED!!! He was given the option of playing but felt he wasn't fully fit putting the TEAM first! History lesson for YOU!!!

AND Brucey was R/U in B&F in two years when the team WAS SUCCESSFUL.(2002 and 2006). Sorry to shoot your argument down in flames!

History lesson for me? Hate to tell you, but he still didn't play.

And if you call 2002 and 2006 teams as being successfull well then you're as soft as a supporter as Bruce is as a player.

Check your scope...

Keep respecting him, he will be getting more than we offered, no doubt.

That is not what i have gathered via those articles and what i have heard spoken-Brucey is looking at a pay cut, but with the option on the second year. So it depends on whether you count that second year. Far as i am concerned he has to play through 2011 yet.

That is not what i have gathered via those articles and what i have heard spoken-Brucey is looking at a pay cut, but with the option on the second year. So it depends on whether you count that second year. Far as i am concerned he has to play through 2011 yet.

Of course you include it. The terms of the option would have a contractual value to both parties. He has one from HFC. He doesnt from MFC

He wont earn the same money he was on in 2010.

But it is likely that either the offer from Hawthorn was more than MFC's offer of 1 year. That was Redleg's point.

Yes it is sad that Cameron has caused this shitestorm, but i think the photograph earlier in this thread is how it will be remembered in the not too distant future. Cameron was offered a solid contract for next year, a year the club should make finals & he walked. Considering the contract deal he managed to sign 4 years ago, i find the whole thing most distasteful.

It is very muc that way when you dont understand the interests of both parties. At 31, a one year contract is a one year contract. Its not solid at all. And there is a chance we will make the finals but no certainty. There is no should

If we REALLY wanted him we'd have found a way.

The way he has left is indicative of the reasons why that mightn't be the case.

I wish Cam Bruce all the best - he has made a pragmatic decision in keeping with his history of looking after his interests - who doesn't?

It's not lose-lose IMO, hopefully it's win-win.

Cam get more years, more opportunity and with a bit of luck a flag.

We get an opportunity to get games into other players and $600K+ to spend elsewhere in the FD.

Great summary.

But it is amazing some of the denigration of a 10 year 200+game Bluey winner and MFC life member. Some cant help themselves.

My guess is that the quote came from the player-manager and not from Cameron Bruce.

Yes and I suppose it would be hard to organise a retraction if those were the very words as told to Ralph.

I suspect that Cam and his adviser didn't think very clearly about the way this has been handled publicly by them. You play for a club for in excess of ten years, win a b & f, get elected to the leadership group, give hear and soul, sweat and blood and then you dump on it when you disagree with club policy.

Tragic for Cam in my book but I no longer feel sorry for him.

Of course you include it. The terms of the option would have a contractual value to both parties. He has one from HFC. He doesnt from MFC

He wont earn the same money he was on in 2010.

But it is likely that either the offer from Hawthorn was more than MFC's offer of 1 year. That was Redleg's point.

It is very muc that way when you dont understand the interests of both parties. At 31, a one year contract is a one year contract. Its not solid at all. And there is a chance we will make the finals but no certainty. There is no should

Great summary.

But it is amazing some of the denigration of a 10 year 200+game Bluey winner and MFC life member. Some cant help themselves.

BTW how many one year contracts has brent harvey signed for the Roos

If Cam really believed in his own worth and ability to have impact at melbourne he would have signed a one year deal for good money and PRODUCED The SEASON OF HIS CAREER! That way he would be offered another year for sure

But i rthink like many older players he really believed he had done enough and should be given rather than earned a future. I wish him well at HFC he played some great games for Melbourne probably IMO not enough.He wasnt prepared to back him self!

Great poster above btw. The one of Cam at the Rubbish bin. i have it now on my facebook page. B)

Maybe the supporters knew something. It was the lowest priced item at a sell off of memorabilia, at a club function at the junction, which was hosted by Neita. I think it went for $25.00 with only one bid.

BTW how many one year contracts has brent harvey signed for the Roos

If Cam really believed in his own worth and ability to have impact at melbourne he would have signed a one year deal for good money and PRODUCED The SEASON OF HIS CAREER! That way he would be offered another year for sure

But i rthink like many older players he really believed he had done enough and should be given rather than earned a future. I wish him well at HFC he played some great games for Melbourne probably IMO not enough.He wasnt prepared to back him self!

I am starting to think about the contracts around these days that have trigger point of games to be played for an automatic rollover. Not good for the game IMO. Encourages players to farm their season out and soft shoe shuffle to ensure they get to the trigger point. Also can encourage bad habits and can cast aspersions on individuals. Players on these types of deals are unlikely to be dropped for a couple bad games at a time. I think clubs should make a policy to refuse these kind of demands by players and their managers.

Edited by america de cali

Most players in the AFL over 30 are now on one year deals. It is a pity Cameron could not back himself and his ability for next year.

Interesting to hear what shane crawford would think of the offer put to Cameron Bruce.

Maybe the supporters knew something. It was the lowest priced item at a sell off of memorabilia, at a club function at the junction, which was hosted by Neita. I think it went for $25.00 with only one bid.

How long ago was that auction?

The club's recent track record in managing it's list speaks for itself.

We have been vindicated with Trapper and we are on the way to being vindicated with Brock.

I will back the club to make the decision on a player's value.

Good words of wisdom