• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Cameron Bruce (ouch)

GRUN DEE

I think most of you get all too caught up with your own self-importance. Brucey is nothing other than a great bloke who simply wants extra security. Yes he has done well in the past financially but when you love your job you want to do it for as long as possible with as much success as possible, whats the issue. The way the club have treated several players in the past(players who got 'us' through the gates) is not great but yet it is a business. We are happy to bag him or the club (as i may have just done). Take a step back and remember what someone has done when they have racked up 200+ games at any level, at the level he has he deserves a bit of respect.

That is all.

Go dees

You have covered it for me DEELIGHTED

Such irony from someone who was claiming Bruce was sacked! :lol:

Where did I say Bruce walked? I was referring to Barassi's parting with the club! The poster said he didn't respect anyone who walked. I merely asked my question.

People have to have something in their lives 45. Such cheek.

Careful he can make something else up now.

I think most of you get all too caught up with your own self-importance. Brucey is nothing other than a great bloke who simply wants extra security. Yes he has done well in the past financially but when you love your job you want to do it for as long as possible with as much success as possible, whats the issue. The way the club have treated several players in the past(players who got 'us' through the gates) is not great but yet it is a business. We are happy to bag him or the club (as i may have just done). Take a step back and remember what someone has done when they have racked up 200+ games at any level, at the level he has he deserves a bit of respect.

Yes, but it's exactly because of what Cameron Bruce has done in his career of 200+ games that has many of us questioning his conduct over the past few months. On what we're being told, he is supposedly not getting more money or security of tenure. If anything, his conduct and that of those who represent him suggests that he's the one who might have gotten caught up in his own self-importance.

That is all.

Go dees

This has more to do with the clubs importance than our own.

It's fine that he left, I think it's better for both parties and I have wished him well. How it's played out is where the disappontment lies.

Which past players are you refering to and how was their treatment not great?

This is probably the difference.

He caused me untold frustration over the years.

If he had have hardened up and learned to take a hit for the better of the team, then he'd have been a much better player.

Instead he was afraid of contact and it hurt us.

Yeah tough guy how much AFL did you play? Ten years top 6 in B&F, yeah he was a real liability! Get real and bury your personal hatred.

I know it's the off season, but try and keep the posts on the topic.

Posters are reminded to "play the ball, not the man." If you need clarification, read the Code of Conduct.

Thank you.

That is all.

Go dees

No that is not all.

He is on less than he would be here.

He has no gaurantee of a second year.

And the only difference seems to be the position on the ladder of the two teams and a trigger on a second year (something irrelevant to his position at the Dees as he had a 'free' spot on the VL for the next two years).

He wants to win a flag, fine (frack! I don't know how many times I have said that).

But don't intimate to hacks like Ralph that you were treated with contempt by my club.

Because you weren't, Cameron.

We pulled you out of the ammos and gave you a chance and you more than repaid the investment.

But don't make up sh!t.

Just a quick one.

Crawf played on for many years on 1 year deals, Jr was captain of the club, had a pretty good year and yet gets nudged?? If Brucey does have a trigger clause which we were not prepered to offer would you not think his chances of prolonging his career are greater at poorthorn???

Just a quick one.

Crawf played on for many years on 1 year deals, Jr was captain of the club, had a pretty good year and yet gets nudged?? If Brucey does have a trigger clause which we were not prepered to offer would you not think his chances of prolonging his career are greater at poorthorn???

Jr was also on 1 year deals.

Jr had a very good year and I guess if Cameron had told the club when he approached (or Nixon approached) Hawthorn in the first place, Jr may well be playing in 2011.

Bruce may have a trigger, but he had a VL spot all to himself in 2011 and 2012 - we had no-one eligible until 2013.

He could have easily played two years at the Demons.

This isn't about his 'long term security' - he is 31 FCS.

HE wants a flag.

Jr was also on 1 year deals.

Jr had a very good year and I guess if Cameron had told the club when he approached (or Nixon approached) Hawthorn in the first place, Jr may well be playing in 2011.

Bruce may have a trigger, but he had a VL spot all to himself in 2011 and 2012 - we had no-one eligible until 2013.

He could have easily played two years at the Demons.

This isn't about his 'long term security' - he is 31 FCS.

HE wants a flag.

Will it ever sink in??? Cameron Bruce made his own decision.

Please people try to understand before one of us dies....

Yeah tough guy how much AFL did you play? Ten years top 6 in B&F, yeah he was a real liability! Get real and bury your personal hatred.

No personal hatred Bobby, just facts... which seem to be your weak point.

No personal hatred Bobby, just facts... which seem to be your weak point.

Facts? Ten years in the top 6 in B&F, Runner up twice, Winner once, more Brownlow votes than any other Demon over the same period of time. yes, much more than Greeny. These are the FACTS man! No weakness there.

Facts? Ten years in the top 6 in B&F, Runner up twice, Winner once, more Brownlow votes than any other Demon over the same period of time. yes, much more than Greeny. These are the FACTS man! No weakness there.

So what has all that got to do with the argument that he walked out on the club after contacting Hawthorn in pursuit of a Premiership, leaving the club that gave him his dream shot and a blessed 11 seasons with the club that you seem to love so much (that also wanted him to stay by offering him a contract as per club policy) ?

What, that's not good enough ?

I wish Cameron well in that I hope he sees his career out in good health and with the recognition as the good player he is. I always felt that Cameron was overrated by Melbourne supporters and underrated by opposition supporters. I think that was also a strength. I remember talking to my collingwood supporting mother about the Tarrant deal and saying that Queens Birthday was still fine because Cam would just towel him up like always. He was a good player and with respect to our investment (in terms of pick) for him we came out on top. If we can get every PSD pick player to play 200+ games of that standard then I suggest we induct our recruiting dept. to the hall of fame.

What makes me sad isn't Bruce bashing however. It's the posters support of Bruce's team. To anyone saying "I hope he wins a flag;" Pull your finger out. He bloody well better not win one because it's one less Melbourne can win. I know it's not realistic but I don't care, we enter a 17 horse race and there's a long way to the finish line. In all honesty *#$! every other team, I want a flag now... i'll accept 2013 but i'll dream of 2011.

So what has all that got to do with the argument that he walked out on the club after contacting Hawthorn in pursuit of a Premiership, leaving the club that gave him his dream shot and a blessed 11 seasons with the club that you seem to love so much (that also wanted him to stay by offering him a contract as per club policy) ?

What, that's not good enough ?

Bruce paid back the club in full plus interest with his efforts over his long career of 224 games. Their treatment of McDonald was an absolute disgrace. Please don't try and tell me we couldn't have retained Cam if WE WANTED TO. It will be interesting to see what will happen when Green, Davey, Rivers and co. reach the MFC 'retirement' age of 30. Will they then revise their youth policy when we haven't achieved our dream of a premiership or even come close?

Bruce paid back the club in full plus interest with his efforts over his long career of 224 games. Their treatment of McDonald was an absolute disgrace. Please don't try and tell me we couldn't have retained Cam if WE WANTED TO. It will be interesting to see what will happen when Green, Davey, Rivers and co. reach the MFC 'retirement' age of 30. Will they then revise their youth policy when we haven't achieved our dream of a premiership or even come close?

Are you related to WYL Bobby ?

What?!

You are still flogging this dead, and proven to be false in earlier posts with DIRECT QUOTES FROM YOUR FRIEND CAMERON and his new coach, horse?!

Clarkson said that BEFORE the season ended Bruce (via Nixon) appraoched the Hawks.

Queen to H2.

Bruce will be on less at Hawthorn than he would get at the Demons.

Rook to F7.

Bruce has said that he has gone to Hawthorn to win a flag in his short time left.

Knight to D5.

Check-fracking-mate.

I know how much, as a Melbourne supporter you would love for the club to be to blame for Cameron leaving. But that is just MFCSS.

The only thing we have done to force his hand was to start rebuilding in 2008 to win a flag.

And Cameron realised that he is 10 years older than our best talent.

He left for a flag.

Retirement age of 30? How old was Jnr? Check those facts, or do you only like ones which make Bruce out to be a princess?

By the way, Junior would have every right to be [censored] off at Bruce. It would be most likely he would be playing in 2011 if your boyfriend was upfront and honest.

This was a commercial decision by Bruce to leave the club. He knew that it was more than likely 2011 would be his last year at the MFC, if you can get two years somewhere else even if it is for slightly less money per year you still will be well in front financially over the two year contract.

Cam was an OK player and we wish him well. The club is did what is best for club and Cam did what was best for Cam, win win. I now feel sorry for Cale Morton, I think he will replace Cam Bruce as the new Whipping boy on this site.

Edited by drdrake

Their treatment of McDonald was an absolute disgrace.

As has already been shown, this is largely irrelevant as Bruce had already contacted the Hawks for a position next year.

The only was it is relevant is that if Bruce had've told the Dees that he was moving on, Junior may still be playing next year.

Please don't try and tell me we couldn't have retained Cam if WE WANTED TO.

You're just ignoring facts now Bobby.

How do you suppose we could have kept him "IF WE WANTED TO?"

We couldn't have offered him more money, as the contract he settled for was for less - so that doesn't matter.

And his new contract was also for one year on a - to quote from Bruce himself - 'year-to-year' proposition.

When Bruce finally told Bailey his decision, Bailey asked if there was "anything" he could do to change his mind - Bruce said there wasn't.

It will be interesting to see what will happen when Green, Davey, Rivers and co. reach the MFC 'retirement' age of 30. Will they then revise their youth policy when we haven't achieved our dream of a premiership or even come close?

Typical MFCSS. You'd rather the club be to blame or falter than see that your favourite player left the club by choice.

Guest Baghdad Bob

He left for a flag.

I've not bothered to read all 10 pages about Bruce but this statement sprung out at me as being a little naive.

Bruce probably left because he was [censored] at Melbourne for being asked to take a large pay cut, the treatment of McDonald, the prospect of getting longer than a one year contract and the icing on the cake was he now is with a team with a greater premiership chance than Melbourne in the short term. There are probably other reasons as well which could revolve around leadership, relationships with staff and players and the desire to "freshen" his football.

People don't leave for "one" reason, life is so much more complicated than that.

In an earlier post Bobby highlights Bruce's achievements and they are significant. He is a highly skilled player with a rare ability to keep his feet and win one on one contests. He's smart. He's not "brave" and doesn't play "tough" footy, but he is nevertheless a very good footballer. I think he was a bit unfortunate in that the game moved away from him in terms of rotations and interchanges and how they are now used. One of Bruce's great strengths was his running ability which made him highly dangerous in the latter part of matches. No so now with the changes.

He was very good for us, very very well paid by all accounts and is now playing for another club. Probably a win win in the longer term so why so much discussion?

When Bruce finally told Bailey his decision, Bailey asked if there was "anything" he could do to change his mind - Bruce said there wasn't.

Many people seem to be forgetting this....we even extended the olive branch.

I've not bothered to read all 10 pages about Bruce but this statement sprung out at me as being a little naive.

Bruce probably left because he was [censored] at Melbourne for being asked to take a large pay cut, the treatment of McDonald, the prospect of getting longer than a one year contract and the icing on the cake was he now is with a team with a greater premiership chance than Melbourne in the short term. There are probably other reasons as well which could revolve around leadership, relationships with staff and players and the desire to "freshen" his football.

People don't leave for "one" reason, life is so much more complicated than that.

In an earlier post Bobby highlights Bruce's achievements and they are significant. He is a highly skilled player with a rare ability to keep his feet and win one on one contests. He's smart. He's not "brave" and doesn't play "tough" footy, but he is nevertheless a very good footballer. I think he was a bit unfortunate in that the game moved away from him in terms of rotations and interchanges and how they are now used. One of Bruce's great strengths was his running ability which made him highly dangerous in the latter part of matches. No so now with the changes.

He was very good for us, very very well paid by all accounts and is now playing for another club. Probably a win win in the longer term so why so much discussion?

There seem to be a few key points you are missing here Bob, that would counter your arguments.

If you can be bothered, I suggest you read the whole thread.

Overall a good post though.

We should all move on.

It seems harder to let go for some...

Edited by E25

Having to take a pay cut is more reflective of the windfall he previously enjoyed rather than a demotion of remunerational levy.

I will credit him with enough nouse to realize his autoselection days at the Dees were nearing an end. Too much talent coming through . To put it simply he's scarpered !! The Hawks have nowhere near our body of reserves coming on and have gone shopping for "window" replacements, ironically from Melbourne.

Because it doesn't suit the fawning love affair postulations put forward by the "Bruce was cruelled brigade" they overlook the potanginist in all this; Bruce. He started the ball rolling by putting out feelers mid season. And he got bites. Bruce has a history of playing the Prima-Donna card come contract time but this time he met a different team of negotiators, a band of folk who won't stand for his little games.

Let's make this easy to understand. We don't need Bruce. Had he stayed he might have been handy for a year . He was never figuring in our premiership plans and he knew it. The desire to be a D stopped the minute he understood his new position.

He hasn't gone for money, he's on less.

He hast gone for job longevity, he's still on a year.

He's gone in search of a flag, simple.

And he still won't get one.

He bluffed the wrong people this time... Lol

Quite honestly I think he doth protest too much !! :rolleyes:

Edited by belzebub59