David Hale

Demon Tragic

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hawthorn have said that they have Hale, Hill and a 'mystery' defender (not Tarrant) in their sights. I wonder if Warnock is the mystery man. Maybe he could he be worked into a three way deal which has Hale ending up at Melbourne, Warnock at Hawthorn and Hawthorn's GC compensation pick at NM? I'd be very happy with that.

Hawthorn have said that they have Hale, Hill and a 'mystery' defender (not Tarrant) in their sights. I wonder if Warnock is the mystery man. Maybe he could he be worked into a three way deal which has Hale ending up at Melbourne, Warnock at Hawthorn and Hawthorn's GC compensation pick at NM? I'd be very happy with that.

Hawks get Warnock for the loss of the compo pick ? They lose out to me, there Deeoldfart.

In regards to the swap of 1st round picks, perhaps we are targetting a player in the 1st round that our research has pegged to not be targetted by the teams immediately below us in the draft order so there would be no real advantage in having pick 12 over pick 17.

Just a thought.

Yep, I said the same thing in one of the 16,000 posts I made yesterday.

Agree with that .. They'd both spend most of the game on field and the point about Hale rucking up forward is a very handy bonus. Jamar is very mobile for a big boy and would provide a decent contest should (when) ball rebounds quickly by opposition. Makes for a headache for oppo team/coach.

Good point e25

If I keep throwing stuff out there, there's bound to be some diamonds amongst the horsesh!t

We're going to get Hale. I don't know that, but that's how it looks to me. Hawthorn are expressing interest in anyone that potential fills a gap in their list. That's how they've approached trade week for the last few years.

Sounds like we're the club who approached him in July. If that's so then I can't imagine us not getting him by the end of the week.

PS: The propsed deal is not the massive loss to us that most believe. We need a player like Hale, there isn't a lot of difference between 12 and 17, and this may not be the only trade we do this week which leaves open the possibility of other picks coming in.

Guest hangon007

We're going to get Hale. I don't know that, but that's how it looks to me. Hawthorn are expressing interest in anyone that potential fills a gap in their list. That's how they've approached trade week for the last few years.

Sounds like we're the club who approached him in July. If that's so then I can't imagine us not getting him by the end of the week.

PS: The propsed deal is not the massive loss to us that most believe. We need a player like Hale, there isn't a lot of difference between 12 and 17, and this may not be the only trade we do this week which leaves open the possibility of other picks coming in.

Damien Barrett & Wayne Schwass reconfirmed the deal is what North wants ... He also said we would be "mad" to do that is a "compromised draft". His words not mine.

Say it isn't so. If it is for the mooted first round pick swap plus a second rounder, we have just made our first trading blunder in two seasons...

Agree. i don't like it. Collingwood gave up pick 17 last year for a top 3 australian ruckman in Jolly. We are giving up pick 12 for the number 4 ranked ruckman at North. I don't think he's worth it. Maybe at 32.

We have had a youth policy in our recruiting for the past 3 years - now we are going to pick a 26 yo with below average defensive skills. he couln't even get a gig when Petrie was injured. No thanks.

I see the Hawks are looking at an unnamed defender...Warnock?? Could be wrapped up in the Hale deal

The two unnamed defenders being thrown around are Cale Hooker from the Bombers and Goldsack from the Pies - if you believe BF and afl radio.

Damien Barrett & Wayne Schwass reconfirmed the deal is what North wants ... He also said we would be "mad" to do that is a "compromised draft". His words not mine.

Mad sounds about right. PJ with no cost comes across as a far better option than what has to be given up for taking a risk on Hale. Such a rich draft, why give up our second pick and worsen our first for the "VFL native" David Hale? :mellow:

Edited by Deez Nutz

Mad sounds about right. PJ with no cost comes across as a far better option than what has to be given up for taking a risk on Hale. Such a rich draft, giving up our second pick and worsening our first for the "VFL native" David Hale? :mellow:

You're not asking a question.

But you can ask that non-question to the FD - their the ones into him with a powerful will.

Been talking to him for months.

Edited by rpfc

Sent an email in to trade week radio- Damo Barret and someone else were discussing my question on whether Hale would be good for us.

Its the unpredictability that he would add to our forward line- something that Bailey has always wanted. Jurrah, Dunn, Watts, Petterd, Green, Bennell, Wonaemirri, and then chuck a big man down there- Bails at 3 qtr time can say, let's use Hale every time cos it's not working for LJ or green.

I think pick 12 would be best to hold onto so perhaps pick 32 and Stef Martin/Tom McNamara

If you read the thread on BF the north supporters who have a clue reckon Hale is a spud the other half are trying to talk him up saying he is the best second ruck in the competition who by the way can't get a gig with them. This smacks of another Ben Holland deal both had great years and were offered 4 year $400k contracts half way through both clubs want to offload them and we are the bunnies who take them.

Hale is neither a Ruckman or a forward, he doesn't get taps and he doesn't kick goals. Even the North supporters who are talking him up say he would have to be re trained to play ruck, so that means he's a forward that doesn't kick goals and was a ruck that didn't win taps. They say he is not physical enough, ring a Holland bell, and is no good around the ground or below his knees.

God I hope we don't pull this one off it may turn out to be another Pickett disaster, we got about half a dozen good games out of him.

doesnt kick goals ??... Matty Scarlett might differ with you....though i concede he hasnt been marvellous of late. He can both kick and ruck.. Not world beating I grant you. Apparently the FD has a high-ish opinion of him.

Theyve been pretty good last few years :)

doesnt kick goals ??... Matty Scarlett might differ with you....though i concede he hasnt been marvellous of late. He can both kick and ruck.. Not world beating I grant you. Apparently the FD has a high-ish opinion of him.

Theyve been pretty good last few years :)

He had a day out and kicked 8 against Geelong once, that's it, he kicked 37 for the year in the other 21 Games he got 29, that's not a goal kicker IMO. That was in 2008 when he had his best year and shades of Ben Holland it earned him a lucrative contract that North would dearly love to get out of.

He kicked 22 from 16 games the next year and then he got 17 from 12 this year including 3 against us in the early game, I think a couple came from free kicks. He averages .9 goals a game career wise and over the last 3 years it is about 1.5 including his "breakout" year of 2008. His ruck stats are very impressive he averaged 3.2 a game this year 3.4 last year and 8.5, once again, in his break out year of 2008.

If you look at his slide it has been considerable since 2008 and he has gone from Newman's chocolates to boiled lollies, he can't get a game in a side that finished middle of the road and we are looking at trading a second round pick and a downgrade in our first pick for him.

Sounds like a great deal to me but not for us.

He had a day out and kicked 8 against Geelong once, that's it, he kicked 37 for the year in the other 21 Games he got 29, that's not a goal kicker IMO. That was in 2008 when he had his best year and shades of Ben Holland it earned him a lucrative contract that North would dearly love to get out of.

He kicked 22 from 16 games the next year and then he got 17 from 12 this year including 3 against us in the early game, I think a couple came from free kicks. He averages .9 goals a game career wise and over the last 3 years it is about 1.5 including his "breakout" year of 2008.

Still an improvement on the likes of Miller and Newton i suppose.

I have an idea.

Why don't we just trust the MFC recruiting team and coaches on what they're doing for the moment. Nobody has any idea whether or not Hale will be a success until next

year. Adelaide have just received Tambling... who the hell would have thought that?! Hale has shown that he can play. People that are against the trade are are basing

their opinion on his 2010. Does that mean we shouldn't have re-signed Matthew Bate because he had a shocking 2010?

All we need is for the big fella to get back to playing his best footy. If he can do that, we have succeeded in acquiring him.

Hale's best is better than PJ's, Spencer's, Martin's and Meeson's. It also allows Gawn and Fitzy to develop at Casey.

The potential upside far outweighs the down for me.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

Just looking at pure stats even PJ has more hitouts and more possessions per game than Hale.

Who looks at pure stats these days though?? And besides, PJ's problem in recent times wasn't getting the pill, it was not screwing up when he did have it. And contrary to popular belief, i think he has actually developed into a very servicable tap-ruckman. No world-beater, but an honest trier who could occasionally have good days, especially when rucking alone.

Needless to say, more appropriate KPIs to look at when comparing PJ to Hale would be contested marks, marks inside 50, goals/scoring-shots, goal assists and hitouts to advantage inside attacking 50. PJ may be the more accomplished all-round ruckman, but Hale surely would have him covered in those other key areas.

I've been a massive PJ fan since his junior days (and often the only person defending him on here in tough times), but i honestly think i'd prefer Hale in the forward-line to him, Spencer and even Martin.