THAT'S ALL FOLKS

Demonland

THAT’S ALL FOLKS by Whispering Jack

We all knew that 2010 would be a difficult season for the Melbourne Football Club as the team moved into its next phase of development. We expected patchy form and inconsistency of performance but in many ways, the 10 point loss at the hands of North Melbourne in the final game played at the MCG at twilight, stood as a typical example of a club in transition.

Gone are the days when the opposition would completely monster a Melbourne team completely bereft of skill, talent, strength and fighting spirit. The team suffered its biggest defeat (56 points) in the opening round against Hawthorn but there were no 10 goal plus thrashings. There were still plenty of quirky efforts and never knew quite what to expect on a weekly basis other than the unexpected but some patters did emerge when things got tough.

While there signs of improvement were everywhere and this delivered more winning performances over the course of the season, it still didn't guarantee a seamless or speedy rise from easy beats to regular winners.

Against the Northerners, Melbourne started the game as it has on so many previous occasions this year. The team is one that enjoys taking risks and when they fail to work, the opposition can hurt you going the other way. Accordingly, the scoreboard after ten minutes or so had a familiar ring about it. The Kangaroos were 3.1.19 to the Demons' 0.0.0. How many times have we seen that before in Melbourne games this season?

Then, when the Demons finally got going and started looking like they might start troubling the scoreboard attendants, James Frawley drifted down to score a point and Brad Green sprayed a shot out of bounds on the full before the process of clawing back the opposition lead truly began for the day. Seen that sort of thing a few times although not necessarily from the same actors.

The script demanded that Jurrah and Green would eventually atone for their team's early waywardness and finish with five goal hauls each as the momentum of the game shifted several times over the remainder of the day. Melbourne's exciting running game got it in front by the middle of the second term thanks to a purple patch from Lynden Dunn who soccer goal across the body and through the air was World Cup class. Pity he missed the free kick gifted him immediately after by a frustrated Michael Firrito.

Then there was Tom Scully providing the run and carry in the midfield with the assistance in that division of two promising young team mates in Jack Trengove and Jordie McKenzie. And Colin Sylvia came back from his illness to give them a boost with his strong marking and running.

But for all their exciting play and the dogged determination of retiring skipper James McDonald the Kangaroos were able to match them in the middle and overall won the stoppages on the day with their extra strength and muscle which enabled them to maintain a two goal lead at the half time break.

The same strength of spirit enabled them to stay close after the Demons dominated the last ten minutes of the third quarter. It was a dominance that should have earned Melbourne a lead of three or four goals at the final break but an inability to convert when the ball was being pumped down with such regularity would prove costly.

The paradox for Melbourne is that at the end of a promising season, it lost the last three matches, was beaten badly at the stoppages in all of them and yet its midfield showed enormous development along the way (which just goes to show how poor a base we were coming from). 

It's a hard luck story that you'll hear at many clubs but the circumstances would surely have been different had Dean Bailey only had a fit Aaron Davey and a Jack Grimes at his disposal, had Brent Moloney's fantastic season not been hampered by that corkie suffered at Subiaco or Colin Sylvia not gone down with a virus last week. Like all clubs, Melbourne could always use some extra class in the midfield but, with so many youngsters on the books and waiting in the wings, it will only get better and better internally with another pre season of weights, sprints and hard endurance work behind it, notwithstanding the departure of the club's great skipper. 

Melbourne's defence has become more solid this year and a measure of its strenght is the fact that Matty Warnock struggles to find a place in that division.  Mark Jamar has been a revelation in the ruck this year an All Australian recognition beckons. The forward line continues to improve with Jack Watts and Liam Jurrah underlining the promise and Brad Green having the fifty goal plus season that we always knew was inside of him if only he was given a gig up forward. Another strong tall goalkicking forward wouldn't go astray but that's different story altogether.

The 30,000 plus fans at the ground witnessed an absorbing arm wrestle in the first ten minutes of the last quarter. Melbourne drew away to a ten point lead at one stage but was clearly tiring. The loss of Nathan Jones to what appeared to be a serious injury when he was crunched from behind was costly as it loosened his tag on Brent Harvey (as an aside the incident highlighted the inconsistency of the umpiring in adjudicating in the back infringements with some after some crucial soft ones had been paid the other way). Michael Newton seemed to be struggling with what appeared to be a calf injury, Colin Garland had limped off at one point and Austin Wonaeamirri seemed almost immobile 

in the end.

So it came to pass that North Melbourne got its second wind while a tired Melbourne couldn't blow out a candle. It went from leading by ten points to trailling by three goals in the blink of an eye. There was a late flurry and a goal to Brad Green but the ending came fast and the final siren sounded.

The year was over - that's all folks!

Melbourne 3.3.21 8.7.55 12.10.82 15.13 103

North Melbourne 5.4.34 10.7.67 12.8.80 17.11.113

Goals

Melbourne Green Jurrah 5 Dunn 3 Bate Morton

North Melbourne Harvey Jones 3 Campbell Swallow Wright 2 Edwards Goldstein Greenwood MacMillan Warren

Best

Melbourne Scully Sylvia Jurrah McDonald Dunn Green

North Melbourne Harvey Swallow Rawlings Greenwood Warren Wells

Injuries

Melbourne Jones (back)

North Melbourne Harding (ribs)

Changes

Melbourne Nil

North Melbourne Nil

Reports

Melbourne Nil

North Melbourne Nil

Umpires McLaren Ryan Keating

Crowd 31,064 at the MCG

A bitterly disappointing way to end the season with 3 very poor loses.

Really looking forward to next season though, and hopefully playing finals.

And yes I think we'd have made finals had Jurrah and also Ricky played the whole season.

Who cares about ifs and buts the season was what is was.For mine slightly above par as far as where I expect us to be. Today really summed it up for mine and is about where we are at. We need to get stronger at the stoppages, stick the tackles, get the ball more regularly inside 50 and weed out those players who make poor decisions. However are backs are fantastic, we have mutliple forward options capable of kicking multiples and when we are allowed to move the ball freely we look better than any team in the comp.

Who cares about ifs and buts the season was what is was.For mine slightly above par as far as where I expect us to be. Today really summed it up for mine and is about where we are at. We need to get stronger at the stoppages, stick the tackles, get the ball more regularly inside 50 and weed out those players who make poor decisions. However are backs are fantastic, we have mutliple forward options capable of kicking multiples and when we are allowed to move the ball freely we look better than any team in the comp.

Good post and well summarised.

Only thing I could add would be lacking a bit of pace in the guts, Moloney looked very slow today. Looking forward to Blease, Gysberts developing, and Davey coming back.

Good post and well summarised.

Only thing I could add would be lacking a bit of pace in the guts, Moloney looked very slow today. Looking forward to Blease, Gysberts developing, and Davey coming back.

How many times does Moloney burst out of the centre and then spray the ball. The one tonight was worse than normal because he was closer to goal. I sometimes struggle to see what all the fuss is about with him. I really hope he isn't made captain. Hard man and all but lacking in footy smarts, in my opinion. Really frustrating. Don't even get me started on Morton.

And the contrast tonight between Bruce and McDonald could not have been starker. I know which one I would've preferred to see moved on.

Really disappointing. North wouldn't have sent off their captain with a last quarter like that.

Bring on 2011.

Jurrah is a freak. Moloney is way over rated (sad but true)

After jones went off tonight we lost the game in the middle.

This year we improved a lot, by my god we still have a long long way to go.

It was a good game tonight, but we were smashed in the last quarter.

At this point North are a better side than us-I hate to say that but it is true.

5/10 for the season.

Edited by why you little

The season has been beyond my expectations. But the past 3 or 4 weeks have been a dose of healthy reality and have shown us where we need to improve. Some bottom-8 clubs seem to be getting well ahead of themselves already.

And yes I think we'd have made finals had Jurrah and also Ricky played the whole season.

i wouldnt rate the hawks loss as poor

Agree, was gutted to lose today especially after not be able to convert our chances in the third quarter not too mention that [censored] decision to not allow Jurrahs goal at the end of the last quarter. That really sapped some of our momentum going into the last quarter but again our inability to convert at the start of the final quarter was costly and extremely frustrating too. Hate North so much after losing to them twice this year but they've had a better year than us in terms of consistency and deserved to win to day on the back of a four quarter effort. Only thing I take from the game is that they still seem heavily reliant on older heads to get them through, many who surely won't be part of a future premiership tilt, while much of our 'nucleus' will be around for several years yet. Most annoying that Corey Jones became the hero for them, should have been a victory for J-Mac.

Bring on 2011.

At this point North are a better side than us-I hate to say that but it is true.

5/10 for the season.

Yes and some would like Maloney to captain us-What a joke.He will be lucky to get a game next year.

I said that today at the game, if Jurrah played the whole year we play finals, if Davey played today I reckon we would ahve won too

I thought we missed Grimes more. 17 goals against... we're a better side than that at the G in defence.

Bring on 2011.

5/10 for the season.

Yes Jurrah is a freak, Dunn has taken massive steps in 2010, so has Watts IMO.

5/10 isnt nearly fair, injuries have to be taken into account - Pettard, Grimes, Jurrah, all missed large parts of the season. We also pushed 2 of the top 4 teams to the line, as well as loosing games due to errors that should go with experience (like today).

i would say at least a 7.5/10, especially due to the games time / experience we got into jordie, watts, scully, trenners,chip, garland.... the list goes on.

We will look different next year - Watts will add weight and crash packs (hopefully!), Pettard will give us another option & dimension to the FWD line, and Jack Grimes will add more to an already impressive defence (or midfield).

Your comment about Maloney is unfair also IMO. Yes at times i wish he didnt just bomb long when coming out of a pack, but i think thats what he has been told to do to put pressure on the defence and give our FWD's a chance. He is a warrior for us, and something that we have needed in the midfield since Todd Viney retiered.

Bring on 2011!

Yes and some would like Maloney to captain us-What a joke.He will be lucky to get a game next year.

Wow. Good to see the knives out 2 hours after the season has finished. You must be drunk JCB, no other reason for such tripe to be written.

Yes Jurrah is a freak, Dunn has taken massive steps in 2010, so has Watts IMO.

5/10 isnt nearly fair, injuries have to be taken into account - Pettard, Grimes, Jurrah, all missed large parts of the season. We also pushed 2 of the top 4 teams to the line, as well as loosing games due to errors that should go with experience (like today).

i would say at least a 7.5/10, especially due to the games time / experience we got into jordie, watts, scully, trenners,chip, garland.... the list goes on.

We will look different next year - Watts will add weight and crash packs (hopefully!), Pettard will give us another option & dimension to the FWD line, and Jack Grimes will add more to an already impressive defence (or midfield).

Your comment about Maloney is unfair also IMO. Yes at times i wish he didnt just bomb long when coming out of a pack, but i think thats what he has been told to do to put pressure on the defence and give our FWD's a chance. He is a warrior for us, and something that we have needed in the midfield since Todd Viney retiered.

Bring on 2011!

Injuries are not an excuse, as all teams get them. 5/10.

Maloney is a warrior yes, & yes he does love the Red and Blue-But he is over rated as a mid fielder sadly, compared to other teams.

If we are to get to the Top of the Ladder, i am doubting Moloney will be in the middle-He butchers the ball more often than he doesn't.

Putting pressure on opposition defense means hitting Targets with quick precise kicks.

I am a hard marker yes, but Look at Geelong-That's what our midfield has to be like.

I don't think this is the time to "bash" Moloney.

It's true he tended to spray his possessions in the centre too much in the last couple of games. But, everyone seems to forget he was out with what must have been a quite serious injury. He's lacking games. Trengove is much the same. Since he came back, he's not really hit the heights he did earlier in the year.

Perhaps now, it looks like, the choice between him or Scully as the #1 Draft pick was correct after all.

We did miss Davey (we missed him last week too); the midfield changed character, when Scully was forced to go on Harvey,after Jones went off. But, Scully also played a good game - even if his colours were lowered a bit by the most experienced stager, in the biz.

North were the better side. But, as opposed to our last loss to them, only a 10pt. better side, this time.

A full strength Melbourne would have won this game. But, today we were not full strength. Still, we tried our hearts out until that siren went.

I also agree with the comment, that it was the old guys who got North over the line.

For us, it was the young guys (the future), with maybe the exception for Green and dare I say it, Dunn, who enabled us to finish only 10pts down

But, that's all irrelevant, to where this team is going.

It would have been good to finish 10th or 9th - being 8th would have served no purpose: next year, a Finals birth is a must. More, should be more able to cope with the pressures of Finals football, rather than just "being at the table".Look what happened to Essendon, to understand what I am suggestng - and to a lesser extent (perhaps) Carlton, yet again.

Finally, be thankful, we're not bidding for Draft picks 1 & 2, again (not that we could anyway!).

But more, be thankful we have a team with a real future.

It started in 2010...

Edited by BangkokDemon

To judge Moloney on his last 2 weeks is unfair. He's had a strong season, and will continue to be important around Trengove, Scully, McKenzie and co. He has a big void to fill with no Junior.

Line-breakers and skill in the midfield are badly needed. I'm sure we would have won today with Davey. At the moment Davey, Sylvia and Scully are our best line breakers. Bruce gives drive from defence and so does Grimes and others, but we need more line breakers across the ground. I'd like to see Bail, Bennell and maybe others like Blease and Strauss cement spots in the team. If the runners and users can overtake the "ball winners" in ability we will step up again.

I'm sure the club are still searching for a big strong FF type but I have every confidence we can win games with a small forward line - Green and Jurrah are a handfull despite not being 6'6 and with Dunn, Petterd, Bate, Watts we have options for players capable to play the lead up CHF role the we favour.

The one position where every option is a shocker is back up ruck. I'd be delighted to know that at this time next year we have someone sorted - I don't even care if its as a ruck/forward or a second string ruckman. Bring on the Fitz I hope!

To judge Moloney on his last 2 weeks is unfair. He's had a strong season, and will continue to be important around Trengove, Scully, McKenzie and co. He has a big void to fill with no Junior.

Line-breakers and skill in the midfield are badly needed. I'm sure we would have won today with Davey. At the moment Davey, Sylvia and Scully are our best line breakers. Bruce gives drive from defence and so does Grimes and others, but we need more line breakers across the ground. I'd like to see Bail, Bennell and maybe others like Blease and Strauss cement spots in the team. If the runners and users can overtake the "ball winners" in ability we will step up again.

I'm sure the club are still searching for a big strong FF type but I have every confidence we can win games with a small forward line - Green and Jurrah are a handfull despite not being 6'6 and with Dunn, Petterd, Bate, Watts we have options for players capable to play the lead up CHF role the we favour.

The one position where every option is a shocker is back up ruck. I'd be delighted to know that at this time next year we have someone sorted - I don't even care if its as a ruck/forward or a second string ruckman. Bring on the Fitz I hope!

Hear, hear!

The only way is up!!