Who do you want at MFC next year ?

GIRO

I know alot of people don't rate him...but what about Jack Anthony? Fantastic set shot and strong hands...

If Mooney can be a key forward for Geelong for so long, imagine what Anthony could do when he has Sylvia, Davey, Bennell Etc delivering the ball down his throat? It only takes him a few opportunities to kick a bag and he's dropped behind Dawes this season. I think it's worth looking into...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep...not enough Jacks at the club...get more :rolleyes:.. :)

Mitchell Clark from Brisbane

Close to AA last year, but stunk it up this year, I'd suggest a first and second round pick and we might get the deal over the line. ottens got picks 13 and 15 or something, so it'd need to be a bit like that.

he is a big bodied player, still young and can swap with jamar in the ruck and go forward. i believe he is exactly what we need.

+1

I know alot of people don't rate him...but what about Jack Anthony? Fantastic set shot and strong hands...

If Mooney can be a key forward for Geelong for so long, imagine what Anthony could do when he has Sylvia, Davey, Bennell Etc delivering the ball down his throat? It only takes him a few opportunities to kick a bag and he's dropped behind Dawes this season. I think it's worth looking into...

We're a club that is in a position to sell itself to a potenial player, and we have the $$ to back it up so we need to be active, certainly if I were a forward who is starved of opportunity but secretly backed myself I would look to the MFC as the place to be. Hopefully we can snag someone decent, but unless we can get someone who is actually good I get the feeling Anthony is the kind of player we would end up looking to. That is; pick up a player that when mentioned in a thread like this is met with replies ridiculing the suggestion. But we have to back our team/coaches/club to take a player who is not performing (+cheap) and make something of them.

I think Anthony probably fits the bill, McKinley also. These would be the absolute minimum I would think.

As for the other five players you mentioned, Meeson,Newton and Healey aren't on the Senior list and are irrelevant to this discussion

Fair enough.

i think it's obvious to everyone that the other two, Bell and Miller are gone So that's two senior players you advocate delisting which amounts to the minimal list turnover that i Suggested so i'm no sure what you're disagreeing with me about.

No, I said MacNamara (which you simply dismissed) as well as Bell and Miller (which you agreed with). And I'd throw Hughes in there as well. So that's 4 players I've suggested. 1 more...? Wouldn't be surprised if Martin got the chop (although I don't want this to happen). So there's 5 potential candidates, sir.

Re Tommy Mac... we have Cheney, Warnock, Grimes and even Morton out of the seniors that are all well ahead of MacNamara I believe.

Edited by DeezMan

Jack Anthony is far too much of a head case.

No chance.

McKinley is overrated.

Agree E25. I can't see that either of them have much more to offer than our own Juice, and I'm certainly not advocating his elevation.

I think MacNamara does deserve another year, if not on the senior list, then definately as a rookie- he may not have set the world on fire but he hasn't stunk either. We've been lucky this year in that none of our tall defenders have missed an extended period of time through injury but the fact is Rivers and Garland have both missed a lot of football through serious injury- if we lose them both at the same time next year and we'd delisted MacNamara and possibly traded Warnock as one or two people here have suggested then we're suddenly in a lot of trouble down back. I think we do have a very good back six when fit but not enough depth there and i would hope that we would use at least one of our draft picks on a key defender.

As for the other five players you mentioned, Meeson,Newton and Healey aren't on the Senior list and are irrelevant to this discussion and i think it's obvious to everyone that the other two, Bell and Miller are gone So that's two senior players you advocate delisting which amounts to the minimal list turnover that i Suggested so i'm no sure what you're disagreeing with me about. What i'm hoping that Bailer and Barry Pendergast don't go looking for any shortcuts during trade week- in fact, i'd be happy if they didn't attend at all- the seem to be pretty good at growing there own at the moment and i see no need for them to do anything differently this off-season.

Tommy Mac is a good kid but a muppet of a player, will not be any good at AFL level IMO. He struggles at VFL level and is never spoken highly of in the VFL reviews...

I seriously think we could do with Quentin Lynch - Yes laugh away although he could be a target up forward and help Jamar in the ruck... Just a stop gap for a year or 2 while we wait for Watts, Fitzy, Gawn & co to come through

I laughed that off at first. Then I realised he pretty much is exactly what we want on paper.

I hate him. A lot. But hard to argue with picking him up when you look at what he brings to the table.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Absolute priority a big strong capable forward please!!!!!!!!!!!

Problem is what do you want to give up for a good 'un or are you happy to take a chance in the draft? Personally I think the forward line looks pretty dangerous at the moment but doesn't get enough chances. With an equal amount of I50's and a best 6 playing fit in the forward line I don't see why we wouldn't win most games.

What I think we need is two rucks that can go forward and create another target when they are resting. We have one and now we just have to hope Gawn or Fitz can come along as hoped and that Spencer can put on some muscle.

I laughed that off at first. Then I realised he pretty much is exactly what we want on paper.

I hate him. A lot. But hard to argue with picking him up when you look at what he brings to the table.

If only we'd had someone for the last 11 seasons who fits this exact description but isn't a totally self-obsessed [censored] with no appetite for a physical contest and also moves up the ground to win his own ball. Just imagine, this player might even have kicked 50+ goals for us this year and been in the Top 6 in the competition for marks.

Who are people planning to knock out of our forward line to give a spot to Anthony/Lynch/McKinley???

I sure as hell wouldn't be playing any of them ahead of Jurrah, Watts, Green, Petterd, Dunn or Bate.

Problem is what do you want to give up for a good 'un or are you happy to take a chance in the draft? Personally I think the forward line looks pretty dangerous at the moment but doesn't get enough chances. With an equal amount of I50's and a best 6 playing fit in the forward line I don't see why we wouldn't win most games.

What I think we need is two rucks that can go forward and create another target when they are resting. We have one and now we just have to hope Gawn or Fitz can come along as hoped and that Spencer can put on some muscle.

You can remind me of this down the track. If we don't get a strong big forward who is capable (doesn't have to be a superstar ) it will retard our developement

You can remind me of this down the track. If we don't get a strong big forward who is capable (doesn't have to be a superstar ) it will retard our developement

Quite the opposite. If we give games to a player we bring in to 'cover' for our young players for a short time knowing that he's ultimately not as good as those young players, then we are seriously retarding our development.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I have formed the view that Anthony is a 'front runner' who doesn't work nearly hard enough when things aren't going his way. There's no place for that sort of attitude at Melbourne.

Edited by Deeoldfart

Maybe I'm wrong, but I have formed the view that Anthony is a 'front runner' who doesn't work nearly hard enough when things aren't going his way. There's no place for that sort of attitude at Melbourne.

He's a very limited player. He can take a mark and he can kick straight. That's all. No run, no defensive pressure, no physical presence. I see no reason to put him into out forward group.

I don't think the notion of making a play for Clarke is a terrible one. My only concern is that in the long term it might make us a little top-heavy with the young rucks we already have. We could always use a couple as trade bait though, so that could work out OK.

Other than that, I'd only be interested in trading for a seriously good player like Dangerfield or Boak (both of whom have re-signed with their respective clubs). It's not worth going out of our way to attract a solid B+ when we have so many on our list already.

So is that the Draft that occurs at the end of the 2011 season, or the one at the end of the 2012 season?

2010 NAB AFL Draft

Clicking 'About':

"Players must be 18 on or before April 30 the year following a National Draft. Players who are not 18 before December 31 of a draft year (17 and a half) must be contracted for a minimum of two years."

Given JVs DOB (as listed in NAB U16 record) is 13-Apr-94 he would turn 18 on 13-Apr-12 which fits the above criteria for the 2011 draft - unless updates are required on the AFL site.

We wont need more mids ( not as a priority) we have them..they are either in need of repair or simply more games. They'll be ok and the in-50's will improve as a result of maturing.

Its that nagging need for a strong ready to go bod down the sharp end. We may have a few to chose from in 1-3 years as internally grown come on...but a fixit for next year would be handy.

Any more smokeys in VFL/SANFL/WAFL etc ? as unliley to get much trading or drafting ( conventional ) for a while

yes an OX clone would be rather nice :)

Plus a decent set of knees!

Do you have any info on him ?

I have a little, and I think E25 is on the money with this one. A wonderfully talented player who hasn't settled all that well in Sydney. Not sure that he's 100 per cent compatible with the Swans' non-negotiables, but he could thrive in a more flexible system.

If we could get him, we'd be doing well as I don't think we have a player of his skill set. That said, I don't know that his type is a glaring weakness on our list. We've got plenty of goalkicking half-forwards - Green, Dunn, Petterd, Wonaeamirri, Bennell.

Quite the opposite. If we give games to a player we bring in to 'cover' for our young players for a short time knowing that he's ultimately not as good as those young players, then we are seriously retarding our development.

What do you mean by "cover" I'm talking about a player who deserves a spot in the side.If we don't get one watch while we lose games we should win, therefore retarding our developement.

What do you mean by "cover" I'm talking about a player who deserves a spot in the side.If we don't get one watch while we lose games we should win, therefore retarding our developement.

Well I'm yet to see someone suggest a player who deserves a spot in our side ahead of our current group of forwards.

Do you have anybody in mind??