Road to the Finals - Round 18

The Chazz

Great post Billy.

Nice analysis.

I share your enthusiam and hope but the realistic side of me unfortunately doesn't align and i think we will finish in the 10-12 range. But who knows hey.............

Probably the most responsible post I've read all year.

2nite will be a bloody hard game to win, and Port & Essendon are ahead of us on the ladder after 2days wins.

This week's media coverage has been ridiculous and way too complimentary for a club that's won 6 games. We've shown some awesome form this year...but our reward could be 13th place if we lose 2nite.

Go Dees!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at least Rioli won't be playing against us!

I heard about that on Triple M, what exactly happened? I heard the word 'melee' mentioned...

Yeah was a melee. Started with rioli and a port player behind play. Then turned into about 20 players. Rioli continued to wrestle and prob through another two clear punches. Should be sidelined for the remainder of the home and away season. Not really sure what set him off because he was going mental. Few other players will be looked at from both sides which is good for us.

Yeah was a melee. Started with rioli and a port player behind play. Then turned into about 20 players. Rioli continued to wrestle and prob through another two clear punches. Should be sidelined for the remainder of the home and away season. Not really sure what set him off because he was going mental. Few other players will be looked at from both sides which is good for us.

Good for Melbourne, bad for SuperCoach

The Bombers and Port winning wasn't favourable but Collingwood, Geelong and Us winning gets this round back on track.

Hopefully the useless Tigers can pull their finger out tomorrow, as well as the Dogs.

We just have to keep winning.

Dogs need to be beat the Roos.

Here is the ladder from 6 to 12

Hawthorn 18 9 8 1 1607 1506 106.7 38

Carlton 18 9 9 0 1672 1629 102.6 36

Sydney 18 9 9 0 1572 1553 101.2 36

North Melbourne 17 8 9 0 1449 1684 86.0 32

Melbourne 18 7 10 1 1490 1567 95.1 30

Adelaide 17 7 10 0 1410 1521 92.7

Essendon 18 7 11 0 1647 1889 87.2

Port Adelaide 18 7 11 0 1397 1717 81.4

Lasagna, cheesecake, holy fruitcake, it's raining food here at Demonland. For the record, I have us finishing in 7th and playing Hawthorn in week one of the finals. It'll be interesting to see how we go against them in a couple of weeks, given what we dished up in Round One compared to where we are now.

Lasagna, cheesecake, holy fruitcake, it's raining food here at Demonland. For the record, I have us finishing in 7th and playing Hawthorn in week one of the finals. It'll be interesting to see how we go against them in a couple of weeks, given what we dished up in Round One compared to where we are now.

Hahaha!! It can rain whatever it wants right now! This place is a happy place no matter what!!! :D

As for the Hawks game... it'll be VERY interesting to see how we handle their dangerous forward line and it's an opposition where I'd like to see Warnock come back into our side.

Good news - Richmond have knocked over Adelaide by 20 points. Basically puts them out of the running, with a tough draw - one less team to worry about!

One week at a time all, but so far, this weekend has turned out exactly how we needed it to. Just need the Dogs to hangh on against the Roos.

I think I'll just go for the dees for the next few weeks and see if the cards fall

our way toward the end.

More than happy for you to do that HG. Not sure if you were seeking my permission by posting that in this thread, but feel free to ignore this thread, and those that I will post for the remaining rounds.

Cheers

So we're a game and a half out of the 8.

In 9th are North, who are half a game in front of us (but we have a better %), and who we play in Rd 22. Their opponents for the rest of the year are Freo, St Kilda, WC (at Subi) then us.

In 8th are Sydney, who are 1.5 games in front of us. Their opponents for the rest of the year are Hawthorn, Freo, Bulldogs and Brisbane.

I'm going to guess that both of these teams will definitely win another game between now and the end of the season, and so will we. That means we MUST beat Richmond, we MUST break our embarrassing AAMI record (and Port have won 2 out of their last 3 and just beat Hawthorn, so it won't be easy) and we MUST beat North. If that happens, we should make 8th spot.

Of course in a perfect world, our place in the top 8 will come at the expense of Carlton who are also 1.5 games in front of us. Their next 4 games are Essendon, Richmond, Geelong and Freo (at Subi). If they only win one more from here and drop to 9th and we sneak into the 8, it would just about be the best thing to happen to this club since Jordan McMahon kicked the winning goal. Bliss! :wub:

So we're a game and a half out of the 8.

In 9th are North, who are half a game in front of us (but we have a better %), and who we play in Rd 22. Their opponents for the rest of the year are Freo, St Kilda, WC (at Subi) then us.

In 8th are Sydney, who are 1.5 games in front of us. Their opponents for the rest of the year are Hawthorn, Freo, Bulldogs and Brisbane.

I'm going to guess that both of these teams will definitely win another game between now and the end of the season, and so will we. That means we MUST beat Richmond, we MUST break our embarrassing AAMI record (and Port have won 2 out of their last 3 and just beat Hawthorn, so it won't be easy) and we MUST beat North. If that happens, we should make 8th spot.

Of course in a perfect world, our place in the top 8 will come at the expense of Carlton who are also 1.5 games in front of us. Their next 4 games are Essendon, Richmond, Geelong and Freo (at Subi). If they only win one more from here and drop to 9th and we sneak into the 8, it would just about be the best thing to happen to this club since Jordan McMahon kicked the winning goal. Bliss! :wub:

Yes I totally agree, Booting Carlton out would be Glorious. Poor old Brock Mclean, and CJ for that matter (didn't he put in a shocker on saturday!!!)

The bookies have Brisbane favourites - "follow the money" is usually a good idea.

A win for us would be against the odds.

Well we did it

More than happy for you to do that HG. Not sure if you were seeking my permission by posting that in this thread, but feel free to ignore this thread, and those that I will post for the remaining rounds.

Cheers

Actually you weren't on my mind when I posted that...

It was (and still is) just my opinion. That obviously while I'm keeping a close eye on the teams around us, I'm trying to not think too much about it because I'm very aware of what one poor match can do to our hopes and I don't want to get too drawn into it so far out (for instance, a loss last night and it was pretty much all over, same with Sunday's match IMO).

Just my opinion, I liked your original post anyway.

For those who think we are still some slim shance of making finals, below are the matches that we need to keep an eye on for Round 18.

Brisbane vs Melbourne

Who do we need to win: Melbourne (of course!)

Who should win: Melbourne (not biased)

If we are any chance of making the 2010 finals series, the Dees MUST win this game. While our interstate record is poor, we have to be going in to this match with great confidence after an amazing team win last week, while the Lions are struggling BIG TIME. With our fearless leader back this week, this will only strengthen our chances this week.

Sydney vs Geelong

Who do we need to win: Geelong

Who should win: Geelong

Played at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night, the Swans will be looking for a more improved effort this week. While the match committee have left the team unchanged, they do come up against the might of Geelong. The Cats should win this one.

Richmond vs Adelaide

Who do we need to win: Richmond

Who should win: Adelaide

As this match is at the MCG on Sunday afternoon, it will give Richmond more of a chance, especially after the Crows performance in last weeks Showdown. Sadly though, the Tigers recent good form came to an abrupt end last week with a terrible performance against Collingwood. It would take a major turnaround in form to see the Tigers upsetting the Crows.

Western Bulldogs vs North Melbourne

Who do we need to win: Western Bulldogs

Who should win: Western Bulldogs

At Etihad on Sunday afternoon, and with a dominant performance against the Dockers last week, the Bulldogs will go in to this match favourites and full of confidence. Will the Roos shut down the Dogs running game and cause an upset? Doubtful.

At the end of Round 18, and being realistic in the above selections, our "section"of the ladder will look like this;

8th - Sydney (36)

9th - Adelaide (32)

10th - North Melbourne (32)

11th - Melbourne (30)

I will aim to do this each week for those that are interested. If you're not interested, this thread does not require your comments.

Nb. My selections over the coming weeks will be based on my realistic opinion, with injuries and betting agency odds being taken in to consideration.

Well, every one of your wishes came true!

I still don't believe we deserve to make it on the season as a whole (losing more games than you win is not a finals team IMO) however the teams above us don't seem to want to play finals either and keep falling over.

It would be remarkable, however unlikely.