Am I an "idiot"?

DeezMan

Today I was at the 'G with 49,200 others watching the Dees v Dons in a match that was always going to be an open and attacking affair.

There I was with my old man up on the 2nd level in Section B28 or something right on the 50m arc of the city end (opposite side to the interchange benches).

Free kicks. Yep... Essendon supporters all around me were spewing and yelling and almost throwing themselves over the railing... and one copped some seagull rear end "goodness".

Now to the crux of things... 50m penalties were given to the Dees on about 6 occasions at this point and I stood up and clapped every one of them yelling, "you can't do that Essendon...! Any day of the week".

Now... what began to urk me was that every time an Essendon player took a mark and was TOUCHED afterward by a Dee, Dons fans would yell blue murder for a 50m penalty!! Many angry pills perhaps?

It got to the end of the 3rd quarter and Green took a mark and was pushed over and I shouted out (a bit tongue in cheek), "50...!".

An Essendon supporter next to me said "Oh shuttup!". As an honest Dees man I responded with, "Excuse me?".

He then said, "you're an idiot".

"Why am I an idiot?" says I.

"That was never a 50m penalty and you're yelling out for one!"

I reply, "It's exactly what the Essendon supporters have been yelling out all afternoon just for the sake of it!"

His response: "You're an idiot. I don't even want to start a conversation with you."

Me: "Fair enough! You don't like it when you lose do ya?"

So the siren goes and qtr 3 is done. The 4th quarter commences and it's not long until... guess what...? Bate takes a grab 5m out next to the goal square and then gets a.... "definite" 50m penalty.

To the [censored] next to me says I, "50m yeh??? GO BATER!!!"

And there ends my story for the day. Was a great win to stick it up them Bummers.

But really... am I an "idiot"??

And a MASSIVE lol to the Essendon guy in front who was poooped on *snigger*

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

But really... am I an "idiot"??

For sticking it to those arrogant turds? No. Not in the least. I say you are a gentleman of discerning taste and class who was only seeking to educate some of the lesser evolved supporters of the AFL on the finer points of the game.

I must say I was surprised about the seagull, though - I didn't think that there was anything Essendon had that was worth [censored] on.

most fans often cry for frees that arent there, 50s that arent there and even frees and 50s that are there and not paid, so its just getting in on it.

not an idiot

The dude who came to the melbourne players race to scream out "cheats!" was an idiot. But it's ok, I told him

where to go...in no uncertain terms

The dude who came to the melbourne players race to scream out "cheats!" was an idiot. But it's ok, I told him

where to go...in no uncertain terms

Haha good on ya. Wish I was there as well.

They're all the same.

The thing is... the more members a team has, the more chance they have of having some real ferals amongst them.

Hahahahaha I heard a dees supporter just infront of me in the MCC members giving it to a few of the bombers supporters around him.

Their responses to the 50m penalties were the same and he kept yelling along the lines of "poor essendon supporters are used to getting a good deal out of the umpires but can't take it when their fortunes are reversed!"

Gotta say he wasn't far wrong - funny stuff to watch.

Even saw 2 of them near him pack up & leave halfway through the final quarter!

Brilliant.

Every single match you will see people screaming 'ball' time and time again when the sherrin is bouncing from person to person in a pack with there being absolutely no prior opportunity.

Plenty of people (myself included) will start screaming 'ball' before the tackle even sticks, I had a great discussion with a crows supporter about it earlier this year.

If you're an idiot I hate to think what 'Gull-head' thinks about me!

Yep, giggling to myself through the second half as the bombers fans bitched and moaned and asked for 50s that weren't there

The woman down the row from me turned to me and said 'Even you must admit that none of those were there' ... to which I just said 'That's the way they've been interpreting it all year, your guys should know better.'

She didn't say much to me after that!

GO DEES!

I was that Essendon supporter you are talking about you idiot.

Nah...just kidding.

Hardly earth shattering stuff, the Essendon supporters cutting up rough about the umpires, the Dees fans enjoying the free ride. I could imagine similar conversation happening all through the crowd yesterday.

As long as it doesn't get personal, it's all part of attending an AFL match. Good stuff.

I bet the Melbourne supporters have been waiting for a while to give it to the Essendon fans.

Nah...just kidding.

Hardly earth shattering stuff, the Essendon supporters cutting up rough about the umpires, the Dees fans enjoying the free ride. I could imagine similar conversation happening all through the crowd yesterday.

As long as it doesn't get personal, it's all part of attending an AFL match. Good stuff.

I bet the Melbourne supporters have been waiting for a while to give it to the Essendon fans.

We've been waiting a while for the umpires to give us a break for once. Those 50m penalties were all (well most of them) there and were a result of ill discipline by the bomber players. It was nice watching them all leaving at the start of fourth quarter.

I had an idiot kid sitting behind me in the MFC premier members area who had the audacity to tell one of our supporters to sit down when he stood up to celebrate a goal. Not supposed to be there but got in with a friend of his idiot old man.

I gave him heaps during the game.

Agree the first one wasn't there. The rest were "there" under the technical interpretation and the Essendon players should have realised after the third or fourth that the umpires were onto it. The Demons were smart enough.

Perhaps it is payback for all those years that you only had to breath on Lloyd or look at Hird to give away a free. :blink:

It's all swings and roundabouts.

Nah...just kidding.

My heart was in my mouth for a few moments there...!

I had an idiot kid sitting behind me in the MFC premier members area who had the audacity to tell one of our supporters to sit down when he stood up to celebrate a goal. Not supposed to be there but got in with a friend of his idiot old man.

I gave him heaps during the game.

was that just behind the goals on level 2? a couple of moron essendon supporters were snuck in there as well, and after carrying on decided that 'they had every right to be there. didn't seem to worry them that it was a members only area...'

should probably be policed more. supporters in opposition regalia should not be allowed access to an area with an mfc membership card. that should set off alarm bells.

The first 50m to Sylvia was a joke. It was free kick and nothing more. Beyond that though it was a series of ill-disciplined and stupid decisions made by the Bomber's players. As for the fan's, their behavior is to be expected, an Essendon supporter is just a Collingwood supporter who can read!

i agree that the first 50 to sylvia was soft. the question is, did the umpire think that sylvia had marked it before he was cleaned up? if so it could be a very soft, but correct decision. i didn't think he had marked it, in which case, i thought it should have been a free kick.

would happily see a replay?

i agree that the first 50 to sylvia was soft. the question is, did the umpire think that sylvia had marked it before he was cleaned up? if so it could be a very soft, but correct decision. i didn't think he had marked it, in which case, i thought it should have been a free kick.

would happily see a replay?

http://www.gameanalyser.afl.com.au/Default.aspx

There's an option for the 50 metre penalties. Gonna watch em now and I'll give my opinion :)

Ash I did not even send my mate a message and he just sent me one before saying "I had expected a smart arse message by now"

Cos he has ribbed me over the years and all I replied was "You were that pathetic you did not need me to tell you"

Gee that felt good :P

But banter is good, but I usually try and stay away from it.

And I have met Melbourne people who I would rather not sit near for those same reasons as other clubs supporters.

Did anyone hear the Essendon supporters behind the Punt Rd goals with all their wannabe soccer chants at 3/4 time? Anyone would have thought they were up by 5 goals and not us.

Big props to the guy sitting with his partner, when we kicked a couple early in the 4th, who ran up the aisle toward the muppets absolutely giving it to them. They weren't heard again for the rest of the game.

Did anyone hear the Essendon supporters behind the Punt Rd goals with all their wannabe soccer chants at 3/4 time? Anyone would have thought they were up by 5 goals and not us.

Big props to the guy sitting with his partner, when we kicked a couple early in the 4th, who ran up the aisle toward the muppets absolutely giving it to them. They weren't heard again for the rest of the game.

There was a Bombers supporter who kept yelling 'Go Jacky Watts', kinda got annoying.

Okay, here's the 50s:

Q1 - Colin Sylvia - Bumped as he marked - BAD CALL

Q1 - Lynden Dunn - Tackled after mark - GOOD CALL

Q2 - Jack Trengove - Overstepped mark - GOOD CALL

Q2 - Brad Green - Overstepped mark - GOOD CALL

Q2 - Jamie Bennell - Tackled after mark, tripped - GOOD CALL

Q4 - Matthew Bate - Tackled after mark - GOOD CALL

Q4 - Mark Jamar - Ran through mark - GOOD CALL

Probably didn't need to do this, but I might go and post it on other forums :)

having watched the 50's, ive got no problems as said before.

RE the syvlia one. It was a bit soft but why I think it was paid: the essendon player made no attempt to contest the ball; he pulled his arms down and turned his body.

Perhaps a bit unlucky as I don't think he saw sylvia until the last moment but I don;'t think it would've been paid if he had've tried to punch.

RE the free kicks, what I said about the scully and lonegan decision still stands.

RE the watts decision, essendon player was unlucky in that he contacted watts when he was off balance after the kick. But, watts had disposed of the ball and there is no reason why the essendon player should have pushed him, and he did fall as aresult of the push. unlucky but i don't understand why it should be acceptable to push any player in the back as they kick the ball or after they have kicked it, when they are running into the goals, and normally the umpires let that go unpunished.

Essendon Vs Melbourne

Free Kicks for Essendon- 18

Free Kicks for Melbourne- 16

Sure they had a heap of 50m penalties against them, but that boils down to a lack of discipline more than the umpires interpretation.

They just hate losing. One of those really one eyed clubs.

Every single match you will see people screaming 'ball' time and time again when the sherrin is bouncing from person to person in a pack with there being absolutely no prior opportunity.

Tigers fans are the worst when it comes to this. Well, them and Swans fans...but they don't know any better.