PJ

Steamin Demon

I know he has been given upteen chances but today I reckon he gave the Russian a massive chop out, He made a contest and did some good things. He is way better than Martin, Spencer, and the two lanky lads we have developing at Casey, I for one think purely for stop gap purposes he might get another year..

Edited by Steamin Demon

I'd say he gave Russian a rest for the last 10 minutes or so as they kicked 4!

Russian was awesome, PJ was far far less awesome. As kind as I could be about him really.

Oh god.

He was... well... I'm trying to be nice, because I'm sure he tries hard, but he is an awfully poor footballer. We couldn't win a clearance while he rucked, and he couldn't take an uncontested mark to save himself.

He is only getting a game because we have no other healthy options. IMO we are better off with Dunn helping in the ruck and having an extra set of legs with someone like Bail.

Oh and he is not, in any way, better than Martin, who is younger, and a far better mark of the ball. Martin was holding down a defensive position successfully before being made to change due to necessity. PJ has no strings to his bow, and he isn't even very good at his primary job as a ruckman.

going going...............................along with bell, newton, meesen

good luck in life PJ

Going, going-----gone in September 2010...

Oh god.

He was... well... I'm trying to be nice, because I'm sure he tries hard, but he is an awfully poor footballer. We couldn't win a clearance while he rucked, and he couldn't take an uncontested mark to save himself.

He is only getting a game because we have no other healthy options. IMO we are better off with Dunn helping in the ruck and having an extra set of legs with someone like Bail.

Oh and he is not, in any way, better than Martin, who is younger, and a far better mark of the ball. Martin was holding down a defensive position successfully before being made to change due to necessity. PJ has no strings to his bow, and he isn't even very good at his primary job as a ruckman.

Agree Jaded that his skill set is poor but i still believe we need a second true ruckman to chop out Jamar. Dunn was fantastic on Watson and if he has to ruck for 10 minutes then that may give whoever he is tagging the break they need. Likewise it is a waste Sylvia going up because he is so damaging as the link up man. Until Martin gets fit and or Gawn gets right, i think PJ will fill that role.

Guest Thomo

At 200cm tall, how he can not win a one on one marking contest against Jetta is beyond me. Started foward, but as the biggest player down there had no presence at all. Got killed in the ruck. Does not use his body against players that weigh 30kg less. Should not play at this level again.

He really was no good, I thought that Cheney's negatives outweighed his positives too. This^^

Edited by dandeeman

He really was no good, I thought that Cheney's negatives outweighed his positives too. This^^

Hmm Cheney, I love his strong marking going back with the flight, unfortunately thats all I like.

PJ today was ok, but you sensed we really lacked the advantage we have with Jamar when PJ is on the ball. Besides a nice kick here and there and less tendency to fall over and suffer a month long injury I'd prefer the big Spencer. The time in the 3rd quarter when we kicked out for PJ and he dropped what should be a basic mark for a tall and ended up costing a goal was really disappointing.

At 200cm tall, how he can not win a one on one marking contest against Jetta is beyond me. Started foward, but as the biggest player down there had no presence at all. Got killed in the ruck. Does not use his body against players that weigh 30kg less. Should not play at this level again.

Got it in one.

It is unacceptable for someone his size to not be able to take simple overhead or chest marks. Sure he might be agile enough to get the ball off the ground, but the ball should never fall through his hands to begin with.

Compare Jamar to PJ. Both are average users of the ball, there is no doubting that, but Jamar uses his physicality and is a fantastic contested mark. He uses his attributes to our advantage.

There is no room for PJ in a side that is trying to climb up the ladder, no matter how much we're crying out for a backup ruckman.

Hmm Cheney, I love his strong marking going back with the flight, unfortunately thats all I like.

PJ today was ok, but you sensed we really lacked the advantage we have with Jamar when PJ is on the ball. Besides a nice kick here and there and less tendency to fall over and suffer a month long injury I'd prefer the big Spencer. The time in the 3rd quarter when we kicked out for PJ and he dropped what should be a basic mark for a tall and ended up costing a goal was really disappointing.

Really Master? You obviously weren't at Etihad last week.

Was an improved game. Which is not saying much. He got to plenty of contests given a small amount of game time, just flubbed everything he got his hands to. He also got his hands to the ball in ruck contests more than I expected. He just doesn't know where to put it, or what to do once the ruck contest is finished. He just stands there watching the action unfold... and being so big he finds people pick him out with a relieving handball... at which time he's flat footed, and he gets tackled.

I feel like we may end up going into next week with the same 22, which I reckon is a healthy thing to do with a young developing list. Having said that, the Subi factor might come into it, and they may feel like they need the extra legs.

Our current ruck stocks

Jamar

Daylight

Spencer

Martin

PJ

Meeson

Gawn

Fitzpatrick

Spencer is getting better albeit slowly

Martin is far more useful as a Utility at either end of the ground

Both PJ and Meeson will no longer be on our list after 2010

Gawn is yet to debut but i would expect Gawn to take over the number 1 ruck role depending

on how Spencer develops and the longevity of Jamar

Fitzpatrick i would expect will be our Full Forward more than being a ruckman

Edited by Swampfox

PJ plays like the smallest big man in the game.

Agree with having an extra running player... especially if its Bail who has been sorely missed.

Agree with Martin being a better option if we must have a 2nd ruck... at least he can mark over his head (has PJ covered) and an ok kick and skillful enough to do the following... clap his hands and chew gum at the same time (has Spencer covered forever).

Edited by big tuna

PJ just simply hasnt come on the way we all thought and some early glimpses suggested. Just never improved.

Stop gap of sorts til seasons end then there will ba a parting of the ways. Thats about it.:mellow:

PJ just simply hasnt come on the way we all thought and some early glimpses suggested. Just never improved.

Stop gap of sorts til seasons end then there will ba a parting of the ways. Thats about it.:mellow:

Pj looks lazy, plays lazy, can't take a contested mark and should not be part of our future.

Did very little to prove me wrong.

He cannot take a mark to save himself. He cannot, or refuses to, use his 100kg frame to effect. He is pushed around too easily. And to top it all off, he can't ruck. They kicked 6 of the last 7 goals. PJ was rucking for basically that entire time while Jamar got a deserved break.

The only benefit I can see is that it gives us more room to rest Jamar, and that seemed to pay dividends.

You know what's funny, is that the all-conquering Jamar is pretty much the same player that this site got stuck into TEN TIMES worse than they're doing now with PJ. He's still not a big stat getter... Yet he's now the be-all-end-all of our team, and is in line for a Bluey.

If PJ can figure out how to turn his engine and pace into 15-20 touches or more, and use his left foot to effect, he'd basically do a Jamar. On paper, his strengths would complement Jamar perfectly. A rangy quick extra midfielder, to go with the big body, crash and bash of Jamar. On a day Jamar is beaten as an athlete by someone like Cox, he can go forward and be a presence while PJ runs with him.

Very unfortunate for us that he hasn't come on, but in terms of recruitment and planning, it's a good call by the club to have persisted with him. And I'm always amazed that everyone's so confident that he's gone... not that they think he might be going, but that he's an absolute certainty to be delisted... despite how little we have in the ruck cupboard, and the fact the club has always spoken of him as our second ruckman.

I know he has been given upteen chances but today I reckon he gave the Russian a massive chop out, He made a contest and did some good things. He is way better than Martin, Spencer, and the two lanky lads we have developing at Casey, I for one think purely for stop gap purposes he might get another year..

Whilst I'm not a fan of PJ, I have to agree with you're comments Steamin.

Many observers look at what PJ's skills are rather than what he brings to the team. He provides a solid body at contests around the ground, is mobile enough for the AFL, can be used as a resting forward and provides a good chop out for the Russian. Unfortunately Spencer and Martin aren't up to the grade as AFL ruckmen (nor do I think they have the potential to become good AFL ruckman). Whilst suggestions of Dunn and Slyvia as rucking replacements for Jamar can be useful at times, I think it has the potential to harm their careers by playing them in an injury prone role which is neither in their own personal nor the teams long term best interests.

Yesterday was the first time this year that I've seen Jamar apply some serious scoreboard pressure up forward. I see the Footy Department in allowing PJ to play, presenting Jamar with more opportunities to not only kick goals but spend a great part of the game on the ground.

Edited by The O

When Essendon made their surge in the 3rd quarter, practically every time PJ was involved in play (which was a fair bit) it ended in the opposition gaining possesion. Under pressure he mucks up the simple things which is the fundamental problem. He's too slow in his mechanics and has limited tall player attributes.

Can't take contested marks, rarely taps the ball to advantage in general play, fumbles, lacks conviction and ability to spoil in packs and often doesn't know what to do in general play which is significant at his age.

With space he can offload some handballs, he can kick reasonably well (when not going for impossible stab passes) and on his day (which isn't often) can be "serviceable" in the ruck. I like his enthusiasm but it means little in the end. He simply doesn't deliver as a tall player.