Changes for next week

Gouga

I think it was Whispering Jack that nominated Tom McNamara as Demonland Missing Player of the week this week. Seeing as Strauss has been injured Tom may have been given a chance with Grimes injury. Pity that we wont get to see him as I think he could offer something it is injury such as Grimes that will get him an opportunity. Not good timing for Tom to be the recipient of the award this week!

Agree. Tick tick. Its Rd 15 and TMac has not been visible this year

The likely outs at this stage are: Grimes (injury), Cheney (MR susp) Jetta. Ins: Sylvia, Bail and Jurrah

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are just players, and just players don't win you premierships.

Tell that to Chris Heffernan, Gary Moorcroft and Steven Armstrong.

"Just" players don't win you premerships if they're the best you've got. But they can still be in a premiership side if they are serviceable and committed, and you've got a core of 8-10 "elites" and "A Graders". In a team like that, "just" players will also rise with the tide.

I don't get too fussed or lose sleep over players like Dunn and MacDonald. They might have a role to play in a good team. I'm more interested in the development to "top-line" status of all our young high draft picks. That's where we'll get the team to win a premiership.

Tell that to Chris Heffernan, Gary Moorcroft and Steven Armstrong.

"Just" players don't win you premerships if they're the best you've got. But they can still be in a premiership side if they are serviceable and committed, and you've got a core of 8-10 "elites" and "A Graders". In a team like that, "just" players will also rise with the tide.

I don't get too fussed or lose sleep over players like Dunn and MacDonald. They might have a role to play in a good team. I'm more interested in the development to "top-line" status of all our young high draft picks. That's where we'll get the team to win a premiership.

Agree entirely and Shannon Motlop has a medal as well. :blink:

Agree entirely and Shannon Motlop has a medal as well. :blink:

Agree agree and suggest that people look at St Kilda....the A-graders are obvious but they drop away for PURE talent IMO. Just that they are so well drilled to perform their role each week.

INS: Jurrah, Sylvia, Bail

OUTS: Grimes (inj.), Spencer, Jetta or Cheney (if susp.)

Jurrah and Sylvia would provide 2 targets inside 50 when they're there, take 2 defenders

outside 50 when they're there and they can both crumb off Dunn and give Watts more freedom,

hopefully. That's a functioning forwardline IMO. Add Bate and Essendon have some troubles.

Green or Davey can go back to the HBF for Grimes and be our architect.

Bail in for Spencer to provide the extra run which allows us to play "Dees Footy".

In: Jurrah, Sylvia, Bail, Warnock, Morton

Out: Grimes :(, MacDonald (turnover king and not a long term player for us), Jetta/Bennell, Cheney, Jones

Tempted to get rid of Dunn, but it probably won't happen. Mind you, if Morton was dropped last week, then Bate deserves to be dropped this week. He did less than nothing.

Whoooa! Swing the Axe!!

Warnock, Sylvia are the only sure-fire ins. Followed closely by Bail who it's possible may need another week. Sylvia because he's good and we need forwards. Warnock because we might need that extra big man.

Dunn couldn't be dropped. Agree on the Bate thing in comparison to Morton. I wouldn't like to see it, but I just don't have confidence anymore. He could be the next one rested. Maybe it's a new selection rule DB's implemented since mid-year. Play a bad game and you're gone.

For mine, Jones played ok. I was surprised to see very little of Nicky Dal in comparison to Hayes/Montagna/Goddard. He didn't exactly win his contest, but he didn't have much help either.

I usually don't like seeing these "drop 5 players I don't like, bring in my 5 favourites" thread, but I reckon this week it might actually happen.

Has anyone read the " Player review" on the MFC website?

I am surprised we lost hardly any player got a poor rap.

I must have been watching the wrong game.

On the basis of that anyalsis there will be very few changes.

Best I can see on that basis is Sylvia in and if Cheney suspended than perhaps Bail.

Seems the rest were ok!

Pity we lost!

In hindsight I was very heavy handed with those changes wasn't I?

Problem is, there are too many players who played for Casey this weekend who I want back in the side ASAP, which means I had to drop more players than usual to make way.

No doubt we won't see more than 2 maybe 3 changes, so my absolute musts for this week are Sylvia, Bail and Jurrah. I also want to see Warnock back to replace MacDonald or Rivers.

add Morton to the Ins.

Out should be Cheney (horrible game and should never have been selected in first place), MacDonald, Grimes (injured) and one of Jetta or Bennell neither of whom do enough.

Whoa !! Cheney horrible ?? I think you need to watch the game again. Cheney held Goddard well all night and I thought made the effort to create a contest whenever near the play (unlike a few). I personally would have Cheney, Dunn and Bennell as our best, So any talk of these three being dropped needs a re-watch.

It'll al come down to team balance and the one required for the Bummers.. Some players may be shuffled purely on that requirement and not just form.

Problem is, there are too many players who played for Casey this weekend who I want back in the side ASAP, which means I had to drop more players than usual to make way.

No doubt we won't see more than 2 maybe 3 changes, so my absolute musts for this week are Sylvia, Bail and Jurrah. I also want to see Warnock back to replace MacDonald or Rivers.

This the crux of it.. 1) Bails unlikely to make more than 3 changes as he wants steadiness and consistency and you get that by playing much of the same groupings. 2) the Only def in is actually Sylvia. The others are our sumisings. Jurrah may not get a gig though I think it might just be the right time after all adding spark and mission to the foaward line and giving Knight s the king of al headaches. Thatwill make it hard to match up th ebacks and might give Jack ( W) the day out hes been needing.

3) many players would be bloody stiff to lose a start but there is the question of needing two rucks for the Essendon game...if only one Spence is out maybe allowing a Bail in.. But would we be better off with Warnock to sure up the backline. Having said that Bail could give us a bit of run off the half back in lieu of grimes

who'd be a selector huh !!!!! lol :)

Yeah, I think I've seen enough of your posts to know your gist.

Whenever I go to do one of these, I try as hard as I can to make as few changes as possible, because wholesale changes to the 22 week in week out only hurts the team in the long run.

Especially in a game where we battled admirably, I'd like to see as many retained as possible. So I reckon Jurrah might be given another week, but yeah Sylvia for Jetta, Warnock for Cheney and probably Bail (has had to wait the longest) for Grimes... would be the three I'd put in.

The fourth would be maybe Bennell... for Jurrah or Newton. But I'd like to see them leave it at 3.

Ins: Sylvia, Jurrah, Bail

Outs: Grimes (inj), Spencer, Joel Mac

FB: Bartram - Frawley - Garland

HB: Bruce - Rivers - Cheney

C: Scully - Trengove - Davey

HF: Jetta - Bate - Bennell

FF: Jurrah - Watts - Green

R: Jamar - Moloney - Sylvia

B: Dunn - McKenzie - Jones - Bail

Here is my thinking...

Dunn can pinch hit in the ruck for about 30% of the day, then Rush does 60% and Bate can do the rest to get him into the game and also develop his physicality around the ball. He has a big frame and needs to learn how to use it. This 10% in the ruck could help understand a bit more of what his body is capable of.

Whilst Dunn isn't rucking, he can play his usual lead up forward with Watts and Bate.. That gives us three marking options around the HFL. This is a heap, almost too much, so hopefully this will improve our inside 50s. Maybe even one of these players can play deep.

Look at our forward line with the inclusion of Jurrah. That gives us 4 leading players who can take a grab.. We need to ensure our forward entries are fruitful and also precise. If those two things can happen, we can post a big score..

Our backline is less of a strength without grimes.. Someone else is going to have to do alot of the rebounding.. Frawley is the man!

I wanna see Sylvia playing midfield.. however I am not sure if he will run both ways... If he can do this, he is a booming kick and hopefully will work with his best mate Moloney and get our forward entries up...

Essendon is fast - So bring in bail.. We have a fast team now and will combat their biggest strength..

I think we can definely win but it will all come down to the battle in the midfield..

Thats my spill... now wait for the shutdowns to begin

I'd like to see Bail come in for Grimes.

Sylvia in for Bennell.

And poss', Maric for Jetta, at some stage, just to see where Maric is at, & to create that bit of competitiveness between players.

Next year all players should know they're really competing openly for places in the team.

OUT - Grimes (inj), Cheney (susp), Jones (omitt), Spencer (omitt)

INS - Bail, Sylvia, Jurrah, Newton for Spencer if he is elgible for selection.

Will gives us some forward structure. Jones needs to do better on [censored] like Dal Santo. I cant stand that p..k! Jonesy needs to be physically intimidating and play his opponents harder.

I'd like to see Bail come in for Grimes.

Sylvia in for Bennell.

And poss', Maric for Jetta, at some stage, just to see where Maric is at, & to create that bit of competitiveness between players.

Next year all players should know they're really competing openly for places in the team.

Jetta gets dropped before Bennell does.

Fitzpatrick played a lot of the Werribee game in the ruck. He contested well against bigger bodies and won his share of the hitouts. he did not win a lot of the footy but when he did he looked good. He is very quick and nimble for a big guy.

He obviously needs to build strength but it would not surprise me to see him selected sooner rather than later.

Edited by dandeeman

OUT - Grimes (inj), Cheney (susp), Jones (omitt), Spencer (omitt)

INS - Bail, Sylvia, Jurrah, Newton for Spencer if he is elgible for selection.

Cheney didn't get suspended.

Newton is not eligible.

Going on the Casey VFL player review, players 'under consideration' this week could be any of Bail, Sylvia, Morton, Jurrah, Maric, Bell and Warnock.

Bell is an option for Grimes,

Doubt it will happen but it's an interesting choice. If only because Grimes is pretty much the type of player that I'd hoped a young Bell would develop into.

Alas I fear that ship has long sailed - Bell lost too much of his "development time" to injury.