Dee Team v the Saints

dee-luded

Morton dropped! Wow! Did not see that coming.

I must say, dropping Morton but keeping in players like Rivers, Dunn, Miller (but he might go) is a bit rich.

Bennell and Cheney (finally) are in so there must be at least one more out. I'm tipping a final bench of MacDonald, Scully, McKenzie, Miller/Spencer.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies to the people that feel I am being a bit harsh.

I think I am being realistic. Even if it is harsh.

Collingwood game he had a quarter where he stepped up and hit a few targets.

Please specify the guys ability. What does he have that is so unbelievably exciting?

This is what annoys the hell out of me. Melbourne supporters that can predict how good he

will be, how much ability/potential he has yet the same lot are the ones who say that Nic Nat

will never be a good footballer and Rich has peaked.

Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious.

Imagine putting the lot of you in front of a bunch of West Coast or Brisbane supporters and trying to

discuss these issues? Ha !

Biased supporters. The best.

I don't think many demonlanders understand the game very well.

Jesus you're full of crap.

Morton's last few weeks he didn't star, but he did better than a lot of other guys who were persisted with despite playing worse.

If you're referring to the general groupthink on here it's been about what you'd imagine from a supporter site who holds one of its players, who up 'til now has played a lot of good footy for his age and physical development, in high regard.

Ask anyone outside of MFC and most (who don't have chronic hatred of the club) regard him as an up and coming gun.

Ask anyone in here, and MOST would say he looks like he's going to be on the cusp of our most important 6 or so players. Then of course there's a few who shoot for the stars, which is their privilege as FANS of a football club and its players.

Get off your ridiculously high and undeserved horse and stop targeting people who follow the same club as you, if you do indeed follow MFC. It's getting old, and no-one on here has yet given you the respect you so righteously THINK you deserve. What's more you've one ZERO to earn it.

P.S. Dappa Dan - How wrong you are about rating Morton's kicking so highly.

What?!!!

Ummm.... No. Not wrong. This last post of yours is going to be GREAT fun for me to dredge up in the coming years. I don't think there's anything wrong with Morton's kick. Same as everyone on here and in the entire football world who think he has a good kick on him. Including the recruiters. Unless we are to believe that you and maybe Freak know more than everyone else.

Grimes is serviceable too as long as his team-mates give him something to kick to. Which on the weekend they just plain didn't. At all. And of course the negative nancies who know MUCH less than they claim, yourself a PRIME example, will get on his case as being a "bad" kick. Let me ask you this. Who are these blokes SUPPOSED to kick to when their targets are all running in quicksand, running behind their men, and basically not trying?

You see, SMJ, unlike glass-half-empty whining grandmothers like you, I don't base my marking of a player on one poor showing. I base it over the dozens of games I've seen him play in which he HAS kicked beautifully.

My feeling is that he was dropped because his choices weren't sound, and because, as you put it, defensively he hasn't been doing enough. As far as team instructions go, maybe he's not been implementing something Wellman or Bailey asked him to implement over the last few weeks? If that's the case, as I have a sneaking suspicion it is, then bravo to the selection panel. Then again maybe its something as simple as the fact he's not been quite right since he was hurt, and SOMEONE has to make way for Cheney who's earnt a spot?

I've been polite and careful in my responses to you in the past because, up til now, despite having a ridiculous and wholly off-the-mark attitude to much of your foot analysis, you've been reasonable in your comments so far, and have only tried to quell some of the over-zealous fans. Not anymore though. You've gone off the rails.

Let me make this perfectly plain for you so you can put it in your signature or something.

You don't know more than demonlanders about football. Or at least if you do, you've done nothing to prove it thus far. Nothing.

Please specify the guys ability. What does he have that is so unbelievably exciting?

This is what annoys the hell out of me. Melbourne supporters that can predict how good he

will be, how much ability/potential he has yet the same lot are the ones who say that Nic Nat

Imagine putting the lot of you in front of a bunch of West Coast or Brisbane supporters and trying to

Let WCE worry about Nic Nat and Lions about Rich.....I've never mentioned them as am not interested in their development at all. Maybe I am too biased.

Good that you have a strong opinion Steve but surely you can see the upside of Cale in someway. You have to know every little detail to be that scathing I would've thought. His pre-season was kicking nicely until the knee problem and this set him back again. I find it frustrating that he doesn't go harder at marking contests due to his height but hopefully this will improve.

Cale has many good attributes similar to Brendon Goddard......Goddard was a marked man at St Kilda for 5 whole years before they started to see the light and he is now arguably in the top 5 players in the comp. All my in-laws are St Kilda supporters (yay me for Sunday!) and they were merciless toward Goddard.

As much as there would be bias here and I am one too often, surely you can find some middle ground when so scathing.

On a positive for everyone:

Luke Tapscott is due to play at Casey....can't wait to see him out there. Not sure yet whether 1's or 2's...likely 2's. Sam Blease is also likely to play in the 2's.

Great news!

First things first, Steve. I reckon you need to get some therapy for your anger issues, or you need to get away from internet forums for a while. Your reaction is unhealthy.

Now, to Morton.

I like his aerobic capacity, his ability to read the play and his vision. He has found it more difficult to execute his kicks at AFL level with the greater pressure applied, no doubt, but I have still seen some exquisite foot passes over 55m that few players could (firstly) envisage and (secondly) pull off.

No doubt his slight frame is still an issue and I believe it has contributed to his lack of confidence at the elite level. However, as others and club staff have noted, he hasn't stopped growing until this year and with some luck, he'll add some bulk. He'll never be the incredible hulk but similarly, I don't think he'll remain a stick insect.

Those referencing his perceived timidity are still living in 2008, to my mind. He'll never be a Nick Riewoldt or Jonathan Brown - few are - but he's displayed sufficient courage on enough occasions since that early blemish for me to believe it won't be a long-term issue.

I do, however, have concerns about his best position at AFL level. Given he's not super quick and he's not a big build, he can't really play a key position and he'll struggle to reach his potential as a genuine winger without real pace. I suspect his best position will end up being as a high half-forward roving towards the wing, where he can use his footskills going into attack.

As for your ill-founded assertion that the people who believe Morton will be a good player are the same who reckon Rich has peaked and Naitanui won't be any good, the less said the better. Do yourself a favour and don't generalise.

well mate, they ARE playing. They're in the 18 and the Club's Release makes it plain that they're both in. So there's at least one other out from last week.

It's high time that Cheney got a game

I am not a fan but after last week they could hardly keep him out.

Cheney unfortunately I think falls into that group that are good VFL palyers but average at best AFL players.

However he deserves his spot. Hopefully he will get a couple of weeks to prove me wrong.

I think the players to drop out will be the last three as listed Miller Warnock and Maric.

Millar has been poor the last couple of week,

Warnock was dropped a few weeks back and got back at Cheneys expense ( and a fine to the MFC )So I think he will get a rest,

Do not know why Maric was named he has done nothing at Casey.

AS some others have asked is Syvlia still injured or is he coming back via Casey! My memory reminds me he was not playing all that well

before he got injured.

I think Spencer should get a run we need another ruckman and we need to find out if he has anything to offer.

If we can play Watts week after week than surely Spencer deserves a go.

You are an angry, angry person and I feel a bit sorry for you.

I don't think I have read a single positive remark from you.

Another bad week at the selection table Melbourne.....terrible.

Cale Morton could've learned some valuble lessons playing against Goddard. Played well against Collingwood but becomes the scapegoat for the annual shocker in Adelaide.

I was at Willy to see Casey hammered by 20 goals. Bennell was awful as was Cheney. Happy that Cheney gets a chance as has credits from previous games. Bennell, accounting for his bad game at Willy still ok with him back in but not together with Jetta who has done very little other than some flashes.

Maric has done nothing what so ever to warrant selection. Sorry to be harsh but nothing at all.

And if you join the Chat over at melbournefc.com.....no Cale is not injured he has bee dropped.

Crazy!

Wouldn't call it bad. Yes he may learn but then again his ommission is also a lesson.

Fingers crossed for Cheney, deserves a shot after being good for Casey all year, Spencer may not be in form yet but we NEED him in to help Jamar, Bennell has been missed whether we realise it or not, don't think Maric will actually play. Question is though, with Morton out (and if Cheney comes in) will Garland have a shot up forward? Especially seeing a forward (Watts, Miller, Jetta) is likely to be dropped.

I'm excited with this weeks ins, young blokes who are hungry and want their shot, the outs will be interesting.

Unsure if they will bring Spencer in. Given Watts is named on the ground he won't be going anywhere. If they drop Warnock then that would almost certainly put an end to any hopes posters had of Garland going forward as he is the only other tall in defence. That will also probably mean Miller will play. Agree Maric's selection beggars belief but perhaps they are trying to motivate him to push harder. Don't know if McKenzie will play as he just isn't getting any of the ball at the moment. Perhaps if he doesn't play posters here might finally see what they have been craving- Grimes in the middle.

Wow Steve. I've been called arrogant by one poster but this surely takes the cake.

I have a feeling that you enjoy playing the heel (bad guy) and as such don't really give your comments much credit as i reckon you just like to stir the pot. :blink:

Hurray for MFC !

Finally dropping Morton.

Jaded, your comment about him 'maybe' being injured just proves that there are far too many

who just can't seem to comprehend one of our "future stars" struggling.

Cale Morton has rightly been dropped. There were a number of players that could have been dropped this week but

Cale has given us barely anything the last few weeks.

Cale Morton needs to add more than just being able to "run all day" to his game. I really think it's sad how many people

rate the guy so highly with no backing. Useless stats are used time and time again on this site. "Morton had 26 disposals on

the weekend, he must be good".

I have some advice for all who think this player is god.

Go back and watch the last few games of ours and tell me the following.

How much respect does he pay to his opponent?

Does he win many contested possessions?

Does he take many contested marks?

Does he have an appetite for winning his own ball?

Does he show much urgency to win the ball when the ball is in dispute?

Does he tackle? Does he block for team mates?

If your answer is "well not every player has to be an inside player or a hard nut" then tell me this.....

When he accumulates possessions out in the open field, how effectively does he use the ball on average? Be honest and truthful.

The problem is that Morton is nowhere near hard enough/ doesn't have the desire to play for his team mates to be an AFL footballer and he is nowhere near damaging enough by foot to be an outside player at this point in his career.

He better bloody fix one of those problems soon.

You're so right wonder woman!

a rant worthy of a sydney shock jock..and no that is not a compliment... you need to learn that other Demon fans may indeed disagree with you without you feeling the need to be utterly contemptuous towards them...until then please don't feel the need to share your vitriol.

Edited by demoniac

Hurray

Finnaly someone has seen the light!

Sick of hearing he will learn a lot more and he is better learning the game playing for melbourne than casey. Earn a game and play well to keep your spot. Nothing wrong with sending young blokes back to the magoos so they can go back and get some form.

Edited by PeterJames

I think Morton's kicking is really good and one of his obvious strengths. It's his decision making that lets him down badly.

Alright, let's end the speculation on Morton's kicking.

I get one-on-one kicking coaching from Kevin Ball, the same kicking coach

who works at Melbourne (the club where Cale Morton plays).

We were talking about the Melbourne players' kicks and I asked about Cale.

Dr. Ball said that Cale was one of the best medium to long kicks in the team,

but because of his technique, his short kicking (under 25m) can be pretty bad at times.

He is an inexperienced 3rd year player. They are working on it.

The END

Hurray for MFC !

Finally dropping Morton.

Jaded, your comment about him 'maybe' being injured just proves that there are far too many

who just can't seem to comprehend one of our "future stars" struggling.

Cale Morton has rightly been dropped. There were a number of players that could have been dropped this week but

Cale has given us barely anything the last few weeks.

Cale Morton needs to add more than just being able to "run all day" to his game. I really think it's sad how many people

rate the guy so highly with no backing. Useless stats are used time and time again on this site. "Morton had 26 disposals on

the weekend, he must be good".

I have some advice for all who think this player is god.

Go back and watch the last few games of ours and tell me the following.

How much respect does he pay to his opponent?

Does he win many contested possessions?

Does he take many contested marks?

Does he have an appetite for winning his own ball?

Does he show much urgency to win the ball when the ball is in dispute?

Does he tackle? Does he block for team mates?

If your answer is "well not every player has to be an inside player or a hard nut" then tell me this.....

When he accumulates possessions out in the open field, how effectively does he use the ball on average? Be honest and truthful.

The problem is that Morton is nowhere near hard enough/ doesn't have the desire to play for his team mates to be an AFL footballer and he is nowhere near damaging enough by foot to be an outside player at this point in his career.

He better bloody fix one of those problems soon.

Spot on!

The big problem with a number of players at the moment is when they get dropped, they go back to Casey, work their ass off, dominate (as they should), get back in the senior side, then when that happens, their intensity drops off and so does their form. In other words, they think the hard work is done when they get a game in the 1's.

It's good to see the Footy Dept starting to be a bit more ruthless on these types. Morton is a perfect example of my theory - you can bet your house on him starring at Casey, let's see if he improves when he is recalled. Wona is another that had to be dropped because he didn't bring the form and intensity that he showed at Casey in to the senior team. Other blokes that have a habit of it are Miller, Newton, to some degree Watts, Bell, Joel Mac, Rivers (at times), etc. These blokes need to sit down and watch footage of Scully and Trengove's games this year. Those kids work their ass off week after week. While they have had the odd "off" day, it's mainly due to the fact that they have been shutdown by the opposition; they're entitled to as they are first season players.

The big problem with a number of players at the moment is when they get dropped, they go back to Casey, work their ass off, dominate (as they should), get back in the senior side, then when that happens, their intensity drops off and so does their form. In other words, they think the hard work is done when they get a game in the 1's.

It's good to see the Footy Dept starting to be a bit more ruthless on these types. Morton is a perfect example of my theory - you can bet your house on him starring at Casey, let's see if he improves when he is recalled. Wona is another that had to be dropped because he didn't bring the form and intensity that he showed at Casey in to the senior team. Other blokes that have a habit of it are Miller, Newton, to some degree Watts, Bell, Joel Mac, Rivers (at times), etc. These blokes need to sit down and watch footage of Scully and Trengove's games this year. Those kids work their ass off week after week. While they have had the odd "off" day, it's mainly due to the fact that they have been shutdown by the opposition; they're entitled to as they are first season players.

Some of your points have merit. Wona should not be included within that, yes he lacked intensity but this is due to the bloke not playing for the best part of 2 years so surely some time afford him...at Casey of course until he is ready. His fitness is the main issue and still needs some work. Will be good if Wona can simply play out the year injury free.

Interesting to compare the MFC forward line as listed

HF: Jamie Bennell, Matthew Bate, Lynden Dunn

F: Neville Jetta, Jack Watts, Aaron Davey

with the Casey (reserves) forward line as listed

HF: Sylvia Jurrah Morton

F: McKenzie Miller Maric

Seems that we are churning players hoping a couple will find some form and fluency up front. With us adopting the Small quick model this week in the absence of form from Sylvia (toe?), Morton and Jurrah... and the saints unlikely to be too rough on our kids (post Baker).

Edited by predman

He reads the play well.

He is a good long kick (not a short one, that to me is clear. Same as Grimes. Neither of them are good short kicks but are better over distance).

He's a good mark too.

I agree that he has a lot of areas to work on to reach the heights that some on here assume he will reach. But your criticism of him isn't entirely valid.

Interesting to compare the MFC forward line as listed

HF: Jamie Bennell, Matthew Bate, Lynden Dunn

F: Neville Jetta, Jack Watts, Aaron Davey

with the Casey (reserves) forward line as listed

HF: Sylvia Jurrah Morton

F: McKenzie Miller Maric

Seems that we are churning players hoping a couple will find some form and fluency up front. With us adopting the Small quick model this week in the absence of form from Sylvia (toe?), Morton and Jurrah... and the saints unlikely to be too rough on our kids (post Baker).

If they play like this then I will be interested to see how this goes. Dunn is playing as a defensive forward and Bennell, Davey and Jetta have the pace to pressure the saints defensive run from the backline. If Bate, Dunn and Watts can apply enough pressure on the lead and in marking situations to produce some reasonable crumbs the smaller guys have opportunities. Unfortunately for now those 3 are essentially lead and mark forwards who require good hits which a pressured midfield and defence may not be good enough to provide. I like Davey in the forwards notwithstanding his loss to the midfield because he can finish.