What are you expecting against the Saints?

jumbo returns

The effort against the Cats was, I thought, meek. (I've moved on from the Crows)

What do you expect against one of the flag favourites? A team that we could conceivably wrest the Cup from down the track.

Obviously a better effort is one thing, but let's see how long the guys can stay with the Saints.

If we try the corridor, we'll get slaughtered - Saints are the most disciplined zone team in the comp.

Time for every player to man up and occasionally kick to a contest.

Time for someone to step up and support Maloney.

Time for a forward to become damaging.

Time for older players to block and take some heat off Scully and Trengove.

What are you hoping to see?

Edited by jumbo returns

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Work hard and tackle hard. I really don't care too much about the scoreboard but I want St Kilda to earn almost every touch and score. They might beat us but I want them to know they had to earn it.

In a nutshell...i simply expect an effort... a whole and complete effort... no shirking of the ball....no watching of others doing when you ought to be getting etc. I simply expect a team to play and from the get go..no catch up footy etc. Win-lose ?? ...just want an effort and we'll go from there.

Really do not enjoy watching Saints and their game style but credit to them, they carry out instruction and work hard for every minute of every game no matter the opponent. It is quite astounding that they can keep this up each week and the fact it all stood up in Nick's absence, again all credit to them. It is for this reason I am quite concerned with how we will fare. There will certainly be no let up or let down by the Saints. The Baker incident is likely to steel them further as every other outside issue has done this year.

If we can get our tackle and pressure count back to where it was in the first 5-6 rounds and not let them have it there way it would be a good sign. It is going to be very interesting to see how we combat their zones. It is an area we have struggled to combat against lesser sides than the Saints and it is a concern for me. If Sam Gilbert is racking up 30-40 touches it will be a fair indicator as to how we have gone in this area.

I thought last year on the Coast against St Kilda was not too bad a result in the way we played, something similar would be good.

What I expect is for them to bully us all over the field and hand us a thrashing to the tune of 50-60 points.

What I hope for is a last gasp come-from-behind win on the back of a tight and accountable game. Not only would this be great for the players, but it would even up the ledger given that the Saints did it to the Dogs and the Dogs did it to us.

A contest. An effort. A committed 4 quarters of footy.

A solid attack at the ball that goes for more than 1 qtr (start it in the first qtr this week boys).

Manning up would be bloody good too, too many times last week there were Crows players on their own (and they arn't that good or quick!)

Sheparding/blocking would be good too, as would staying on our feet.

We are going to have to be on the ball (pardon the pun) from the first bounce all the way to the end.

One final thing boys - if your going to kick across goal in the back 50, make sure the kick is straight and hard (not looping and not be able to be telegraphed by the opposition). If what I have just said cant be done - dont bloody do it!!

C'mon boys - show some grit and fighting spirit!!!!

What do I expect, not much at all, especially at shithad we hate that ground. I think we may do ok he following week against the Bombres

I am really worried about this weeks game and the seasons trend over the last few weeks.

There is a very real possibility we may win the wooden spoon again.

West Coast, Brisbane and the crows will win games at home and Richmond does have its tail up.

It is clear that Casey just doesn't have the talent pushing through with any consistency.

From a developing team I expect inconsistency but I don’t accept it and nor should the players and coaches. So this week I expect a demonstration of their real character.

A major problem last week was winning contested possessions. Directly attributable to the absence of McDonald, hard tag on Moloney and less than dominant Jamar. I expect all three will be factors this week. So I expect some innovation from the coaching staff. Perhaps Cheney in for Rivers and release Grimes to the midfield. McKenzie hasn’t been involved enough lately so let him play the tagging role Jones has been playing (very well) and learn about where to run. Set Jones the challenge of proving he deserves a spot in the midfield in the future.

Edited by speed demon

Work hard and tackle hard. I really don't care too much about the scoreboard but I want St Kilda to earn almost every touch and score. They might beat us but I want them to know they had to earn it.

Couldn't agree more. That is the minimum we expect every week.

From a developing team I expect inconsistency but I don’t accept it and nor should the players and coaches. So this week I expect a demonstration of their real character.

A major problem last week was winning contested possessions. Directly attributable to the absence of McDonald, hard tag on Moloney and less than dominant Jamar. I expect all three will be factors this week. So I expect some innovation from the coaching staff. Perhaps Cheney in for Rivers and release Grimes to the midfield. McKenzie hasn’t been involved enough lately so let him play the tagging role Jones has been playing (very well) and learn about where to run. Set Jones the challenge of proving he deserves a spot in the midfield in the future.

Love your signature.........

I am really worried about this weeks game and the seasons trend over the last few weeks.

There is a very real possibility we may win the wooden spoon again.

West Coast, Brisbane and the crows will win games at home and Richmond does have its tail up.

It is clear that Casey just doesn't have the talent pushing through with any consistency.

Currently 15-1 to retain the wooden spoon. This is not how I expected 2010 to unfold.

what do i expect

token push and shove by the dees b4 the bounce to show everyone we are ready to play

1st goal of the game and the boys will be fired up, st kilda to kick 7 of the next 8

a good patch by the dees in the 3rd

st kilda to blow us out by 60points +

I generally base my overall view and opinion of the season based on bookies odds too

Another typical Demonland post full of merriment and wit.

Can't supply a comment without a smirk of self indulgent repartee.

Sir / Madam, I will applaud thee to the ends of time.

what do i expect

token push and shove by the dees b4 the bounce to show everyone we are ready to play

1st goal of the game and the boys will be fired up, st kilda to kick 7 of the next 8

a good patch by the dees in the 3rd

st kilda to blow us out by 60points +

This.

Except I doubt we'll kick the first goal.

Another typical Demonland post full of merriment and wit.

Can't supply a comment without a smirk of self indulgent repartee.

Sir / Madam, I will applaud thee to the ends of time.

Sorry jumbo, I didn't realize you bet your sense of humour on the dees to win last weekend

Whilst being a realist, I have come to the conclusion that our team are tending to win or go close to teams noone gives us a brass razoo's chance of winning. When we play teams on a similar level or lower we just throw all our hard work, our tackling and our committment out the window. They cant seem to psyche themselves up for those games so if you follow that philosophy, we should have a pretty fair chance of having a respectable result. Maybe even better than respectable.

Alas, with our bad starts of late we are certainly making things hard for ourselves when trying to catch up. Catch up footy against any team is hard but against a disciplined team like the Saints well it could be suicide.

I am hoping for an effort similar but perhaps even better than those played against the Pies this year - what will we get??? Well hopefully nothing like Hawthorn or even Adelaide last week thanks very much.

Whats against us? Under-performing forward line, inexperience, Ethiad Stadium and twilight games.

Whats for us? Scully, Trengove, Moloney, Jamar, Grimes, Frawley, Davey and a team growing and learning together.

Will it be enough?? Probably not but where there is life there is hope and if you dont dream, you die.

Edited by Demondeb

Sorry jumbo, I didn't realize you bet your sense of humour on the dees to win last weekend

Yep - and got rolled too!

I read somewhere that some punter took 18-1 about us getting the wooden spoon. The odds were trimmed to 15-1.

I suppose I should have said that all the footyologists feel that we're underperforming and the draw doesn't look good.

I'd like to see some one on one's applied. Let some of the youngsters go at against some of the saints better players. Clint Jones will play on Davey.

How about Morton running around with Goddard.

Grimes into the middle against Dal Santo.....Cheney to come in for another defender to assist Bartram against Milne/Schneider

Scully against Montagna

Trengove against Hayes

I expect that Gilbert will play on either Miller or Watts and try to run off them. I would like to see Bailey put Watts on Gilbert and make him accountable, work back towards goal as Jack can move. Of course the midfield has to dictate to a degree how successful this could work out.

I'd like to see some one on one's applied. Let some of the youngsters go at against some of the saints better players. Clint Jones will play on Davey.

How about Morton running around with Goddard.

Grimes into the middle against Dal Santo.....Cheney to come in for another defender to assist Bartram against Milne/Schneider

Scully against Montagna

Trengove against Hayes

I expect that Gilbert will play on either Miller or Watts and try to run off them. I would like to see Bailey put Watts on Gilbert and make him accountable, work back towards goal as Jack can move. Of course the midfield has to dictate to a degree how successful this could work out.

Excellent post. I agree - some one on one stuff.

Firstly, for the education of running around with those who go hard and secondly, the accountability...