Blease Injury / Progess

old dee

"Strong points?" hahaha that is laughable!

All of those points are consistent with any player suffering almost any leg injury, and you are ready to write of his career!

There is no accounting for intelligence.

A little worse than just ANY leg injury. Writing off his career, I don't think so. Sam Blease was drafted for exceptional pace and skill by foot guess what part of your body you use for that Enforcer25, That's right your legs !!

Yes, I know he has time on his side but we have one of the youngest list in the league and alot of young guys wanting those spots in the midfield. So I BELIEVE (You don't have to agree) he will probably miss his chance. I'm as [censored] as the next Melbourne member this kids leg isn't right after nearly two years.

As expected. No idea. :rolleyes:

Is the current complication linked to the broken leg or is this linkage speculation in absence of fact and the current injury is something different.

Either way its a setback for the kid.

How you could possibly think that missing 2 years of footy now is not important? Beggars belief.

Once again Rhino, no elaboration. Look at James kelly, did his broken leg hurt Geelongs chances of winning a flag? No.

As long as Blease is good to go by 2013, it will be fine.

P.s. Get an opinion of your own for once

Once again Rhino, no elaboration. Look at James kelly, did his broken leg hurt Geelongs chances of winning a flag? No.

As long as Blease is good to go by 2013, it will be fine.

Wrong again Freaky. Bad Example James Kelly. Once again...the facts

Kelly broke his leg in rd 14 of his 3rd season in 2004. He returned the following season to play all games in 2005. Kelly was a 100+ footballer by the time he played in a flag. Just what you want.

His break was a different and less serious break than the nasty one faced by Blease.

Blease has not got on the field yet in any serious manner and has missed nearly two years football which is critical to his development. Its not clear when his recovery will be.

Keep trying Freak. :lol:

A little worse than just ANY leg injury. Writing off his career, I don't think so. Sam Blease was drafted for exceptional pace and skill by foot guess what part of your body you use for that Enforcer25, That's right your legs !!

Yes, I know he has time on his side but we have one of the youngest list in the league and alot of young guys wanting those spots in the midfield. So I BELIEVE (You don't have to agree) he will probably miss his chance. I'm as [censored] as the next Melbourne member this kids leg isn't right after nearly two years.

I believe you are a fool to so quickly write off a kid who has missed part of what is essentially his first year.

Fitness will be an issue in the short term, but I see no reason he shouldn't make a full recovery in time.

To jump at shadows and declare his career over due to a bit of swelling & soreness shows a lack of understanding of the recovery from an injury like that which Blease suffered.

It's likely he will experience those 2 symptoms frequently over the next 12 months.

You're not a doctor, you don't know the intracacies of his injury and rehabilitation and you are wildly speculating.

Your reaction is akin to writing Riewoldt's career off due to his severe hamstring injury.

It will be really very interesting to see what kind of contract we sign Blease to towards the end of this year. I would imagine his contract negotiations would be held off until the last minute to get as much information about his recovery as we can.

Short of something quite dramatic happening in terms of a further setback, beyond the fairly typical soreness and swelling, I could see us rolling the dice on him and giving him another 2 year contract. One would expect he would be on a very low salary so it's not too great a risk considering the minimal opportunities in the next couple of drafts.

Just how many young kids do we want playing in the side at once this year anyway? I have no problem with Sam being handled with Kid Gloves right now. There isn't really a spot for him in the senior side, so why rush him when the injury is still causing him pain? Give him another couple of months, see if he can string together half a dozen games with Casey an we'll get a much more realistic idea of where his career is going.

His break was a different and less serious break than the nasty one faced by Blease.

With all due respect I don't believe you know the nature of the original injury suffered by Sam. Do you actually know the type of fracture it was?

I talked to Sam myself at the Draft Function and the fracture itself had fully healed at that time, was NOT intra-articular, was 'only' through the fibula and should present no long-term sequelae.

I don't know the nature of his current set-back but my reading says Blease-Superstar knows a fair bit.

Guest hangon007

Not trying to create headlines here BS, I have no proof at all, Just an opinion. You can have one too if you like, Everyone's entitled.

I think your opinions are quite valid assuming you think the Dees will think short-term with Sam & you know nothing of Sam Blease.

However, I think the MFC are far smarter than that.

Unless the prognosis is really, really bad I would expect Sam to get that opportunity he wants to play with Gysberts again.

With all due respect I don't believe you know the nature of the original injury suffered by Sam. Do you actually know the type of fracture it was?

I talked to Sam myself at the Draft Function and the fracture itself had fully healed at that time, was NOT intra-articular, was 'only' through the fibula and should present no long-term sequelae.

I don't know the nature of his current set-back but my reading says Blease-Superstar knows a fair bit.

I actually think most posters here don't understand what the process of recovering from a broken bone can be like.

The bone may be healed, but there are a lot of associated problems that could occur as a result of a severe break.

I can only use myself as an example, but a broken patella 6 months ago has caused severe tendonitis which requires me to have autologous blood injections (that's having your own blood injected back into the body) in the my knee and patella tendon. The tendonitis means the muscle dystrophy in my upper leg and thigh cannot be resolved for now.

So you see, one issue can easily lead to another, but that doesn't mean that healing won't eventually occur. I'll make a full recovery and I'm no footballer, and so will Blease.

Sometimes, the best thing you can do, is just give the body time.

Edited by Jaded

Just how many young kids do we want playing in the side at once this year anyway? I have no problem with Sam being handled with Kid Gloves right now. There isn't really a spot for him in the senior side, so why rush him when the injury is still causing him pain? Give him another couple of months, see if he can string together half a dozen games with Casey an we'll get a much more realistic idea of where his career is going.

AhHa,,, finally, someones said it. Sams self induced injury has only set him back behind other prospects in timeframe only. He won't have lost his talent as this is mostly in the brain & they look after hid physical condition, which it sounds like they're on top of.

I have no doubt he'll be OK, iF there was any real major concern we'd know by now & Sam wouldn't have been picked to play in those games recently.

They've just, it sounds got to get on top of the oedema, which must be occuring with the extra workload. I feel sure he'll be fine.

We don't need to try and get blease a game this year. He is going to need some more time. Forget him lacing the boots up for the dees. Next year will be his year.

There are still a number of promising youths still trying to get a game after solid performances at Casey. Blease is a long way behind those players.

Write him off for 2010, and let him recover. He will be right next year, and will give us something to look forward to. Getting a few games in the Casey Seniors team will be his goal I would think.

Sam Blease was at training today - taking part in the kicking drills and the sprints. No signs of a limp but lots and LOTS of dry retching from Sam after the sprints. Looked like he was pushing himself to the max to get fit for some senior footy.

I hope he reads the article on Jack Grimes in today's Sunday Age, where Jack talks about overcoming his own injuries. Jack said it can be counterproductive to always push his body past the limits.

Guest DeesPower

The Club I think handles these issues very well. I suggest they will help SB to restore his health, play him in Casey 2s when he is ready, when he regains form promote him to the 1s, and if he strings together a few BOGs he will be promoted. It doesn't really matter whether this is this year or next year. He will play when he is ready, and when his form warrants it. To write off his career at this stage is absurd, particularly when top 10 draft choices will be in very very short supply over the next three years for us. Bleeze was picked for his brilliant fast running and highly skilled kicking: both things in which we are in short supply.

My difficulty with my own argument here is that I think the club is making an exception of these set of behaviours with Jack Watts. He should not be playing in the firsts on form. He simply does not justify his place, and he certainly did not come close ever to BOG at Casey. Was not even close. He should be learning his trade down there and regain (or should it be "gain") form. The club is breaking its own well developed and well defined principles here. Or is it that they believe he is soo crucial to future success that they will put senior games into him even if it means we play with 21 and a half players? I really hope this does not happen next year.....

Edited by DeesPower

You're wrong here - Watts showed good form and obviously fulfilled the criteria that the club set him.

Their prerequisite for getting a game in the ones is not to dominate and be BOG, but rather show you can adhere to the team rules and play a role.

Watts is in bad form and I think he needs to be dropped after this week, save for a good performance tomorrow.

To have dropped him any earlier wouldve been against the match committee's policy of giving kids multiple games to show something rather than 1 game and then out.

It's called showing faith in them and it is a powerful thing.

You're wrong here - Watts showed good form and obviously fulfilled the criteria that the club set him.

Their prerequisite for getting a game in the ones is not to dominate and be BOG, but rather show you can adhere to the team rules and play a role.

Watts is in bad form and I think he needs to be dropped after this week, save for a good performance tomorrow.

To have dropped him any earlier wouldve been against the match committee's policy of giving kids multiple games to show something rather than 1 game and then out.

It's called showing faith in them and it is a powerful thing.

What down right dribble do you carry on about re -match committee's policy of giving kids multiple games to show something rather than 1 game and then out.

They dropped Strauss earlier in the year- Hughes after a couple.

What down right dribble do you carry on about re -match committee's policy of giving kids multiple games to show something rather than 1 game and then out.

They dropped Strauss earlier in the year- Hughes after a couple.

If you can't recognize that's your problem.

Hughes isn't a kid AND he got a couple of games.

Strauss is the exception, not the rule (& from memory he still got 2 games)

Watts' performances when he first came into the side warranted more games and the football dept clearly make kids earn their spot, but once they get it they won't be dropped for just one bad game.

They are showing faith in the kids' abilities.

Spoke to Sam at the footy today and he's playing next week for Casey, not sure if it's in the seniors or reserves. He hopes that he has got all the bad luck out the way and the rest of his career goes a lot better.

Spoke to Sam at the footy today and he's playing next week for Casey, not sure if it's in the seniors or reserves. He hopes that he has got all the bad luck out the way and the rest of his career goes a lot better.

That puts a smile back on my face. Thanks