Skilled Stadium No More.

Redleg

We got 45000 to last nights game and 36000 to the Lions game against an interstate side. We are now drawing good crowds and will draw more as we improve. What justification can there now be for us playing games at Skilled Stadium where the crowd simply can't fit. One would expect at least a crowd of 45000 plus to a Dees/Cats game in the future and 15000 plus fans can't be denied access. Skilled should be used for games gainst interstate sides and the Roos and Tigers who won't fill the ground.

We should now push this very hard with the AFL and we have every justification to do so. Carlton, Collingwood and I think Essendon have not played their in years. With us now on the verge of an exciting era crowds of 60000 plus against the Cats at the G are a reality.

Edited by Redleg

We got 45000 to last nights game and 36000 to the Lions game against an interstate side. We are now drawing good crowds and will draw more as we improve. What justification can there now be for us playing games at Skilled Stadium where the crowd simply can't fit. One would expect at least a crowd of 45000 plus to a Dees/Cats game in the future and 15000 plus fans can't be denied access. Skilled should be used for games gainst interstate sides and the Roos and Tigers who won't fill the ground.

We should now push this very hard with the AFL and we have every justification to do so. Carlton, Collingwood and I think Essendon have not played their in years. With us now on the verge of an exciting era crowds of 60000 plus against the Cats at the G are a reality.

Have to disagree about the tigers IMO they still pull a crowd and if they ever start playing good football and heaven forbid start winning will pull massive crowds.

Not just that. We should be pushing for more Friday night games next year.

We've had 3 in 3 years. Now it's time for 3 in one year (at least).

in all fairness we haven't deserved to get friday night games more than once a year...the afl is doing us a favour...if we get totally flogged in friday night matches it's splashed all over the media the next day...extremely bad with sponsors etc...

but yes melb should be pushing for more friday night and saturday night games...we have a young side that is firing...people will want to watch our exciting footy in years to come...friday and sat night games are great for this stuff...

plus i can hear the sponsorship dollars starting flow...

in all fairness we haven't deserved to get friday night games more than once a year...the afl is doing us a favour...if we get totally flogged in friday night matches it's splashed all over the media the next day...extremely bad with sponsors etc...

but yes melb should be pushing for more friday night and saturday night games...we have a young side that is firing...people will want to watch our exciting footy in years to come...friday and sat night games are great for this stuff...

plus i can hear the sponsorship dollars starting flow...

You're right, you have to earn Friday night matches.

So long as we don't fall in a heap we should find ourselves with more than 1 next year.

You're right, you have to earn Friday night matches.

So long as we don't fall in a heap we should find ourselves with more than 1 next year.

And quite a few more games on free to air next season.

And quite a few more games on free to air next season.

It's not so much having home games on FTA. It's having the interstate trips on FTA. None of our interstate games this year are on FTA, so we're forced into listening to SEN (think Tim Gossage, Kevin Bartlett or even the horribly biased Adelaide commentators).

Hopefully next year we'll find ourselves playing Saturday night games against Brisbane or Sydney or something that are on Ten rather than Fox.

Geelong shouldn't play at Skilled unless they are playing an interstate team. Simple, it's too small a ground to support an all-Victorian game.

Nobody plays on suburban grounds anymore, and Geelong shouldn't be any different. It is a ridiculous home ground advantage they hold over the rest of us Victorians who play in one of two grounds.

And yep, another Friday night game or two wouldn't hurt. We certainly put on a better showing last night than the rubbish St Kilda and the Bulldogs put on the week before.

Geelong shouldn't play at Skilled unless they are playing an interstate team. Simple, it's too small a ground to support an all-Victorian game.

Nobody plays on suburban grounds anymore, and Geelong shouldn't be any different. It is a ridiculous home ground advantage they hold over the rest of us Victorians who play in one of two grounds.

And yep, another Friday night game or two wouldn't hurt. We certainly put on a better showing last night than the rubbish St Kilda and the Bulldogs put on the week before.

Agree with that, we've done our penance we've gone down the highway once a year for the last 50 years, it's time to give someone else a chance to play in the country. I can understand that the AFL want to maximise their profits but why should it always be at our expense?

Even if you want to go down there you can't get seats because there are only about 4,000 general admission tickets released.

If they won't stop Victorian clubs from going to Skilled (and they won't), then it's time they made it even and sent Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon down there. Yes, there will be fans aplenty locked out, but there are still fans missing out when Melbourne, North Melbourne and Richmond have to go there. It's not a fair situation if only small Victorian/interstate teams are scheduled to play there and the bigger clubs, courtesy of their fans, not their performance, are exempt.

I live 20km from Skilled Stadium. I refuse to go there.

Last year I travelled 1000km to Carrara, and 500km to Manuka, and I'm off to TIO in two weeks, but no way will I set foot in a shite stadium full of supporters whose arrogance is only matched by those who wear the colours of 'pee and poo'.

This is what they rely on Jaded. Demand significantly exceeds supply & they are making a killing on reserved seating. It's big enough for them to make a decent gate but not so big that punters can just rock up & sit where they like.

As long as we get loads of MCG games i can hack the team playing at the Crappy Cattery.

Remember if lots of other teams get sent down there, we will get sent to Etihad heaps more. Lets keep aiming for more games at the MCG at this stage for a few negatives.

Patience.

I really don't think any of the wish-list mentioned here is going to happen. We will play interstate more than our share, we will play at crappy undersized grounds and we won't get the Friday night games we deserve. Why? Because the long-term plans of the current AFL administration call for a Melbourne-based club to fold and we are one of the sides they have earmarked for this role. I don't think Vlad really cares whether it is Melbourne, Richmond or North who go, but one of the three is marked to fall apart, go bankrupt and be packed off to Hobart in the next decade or so. In keeping with this plan, the AFL will continue to apply subtle (and not-so-subtle) pressure in the form of poor draws, games scheduled when fans are less likely to appear, the worst available venues and ladder pressure in the form of umpiring bias. We have already seen this season that the administration is not above meddling in both umpiring and the voting for player awards (and why was there not more made of the text messages proving that they rigged a rising star nomination?). The sad truth is that despite all the Jimmy and Co. have been trying to do to get this club back on its feet, we are still on the hit list and will remain so until we have pushed ourselves into an unassailable position.

:)

Edited by RalphiusMaximus

I really don't think any of the wish-list mentioned here is going to happen. We will play interstate more than our share, we will play at crappy undersized grounds and we won't get the Friday night games we deserve. Why? Because the long-term plans of the current AFL administration call for a Melbourne-based club to fold and we are one of the sides they have earmarked for this role. I don't think Vlad really cares whether it is Melbourne, Richmond or North who go, but one of the three is marked to fall apart, go bankrupt and be packed off to Hobart in the next decade or so. In keeping with this plan, the AFL will continue to apply subtle (and not-so-subtle) pressure in the form of poor draws, games scheduled when fans are less likely to appear, the worst available venues and ladder pressure in the form of umpiring bias. We have already seen this season that the administration is not above meddling in both umpiring and the voting for player awards (and why was there not more made of the text messages proving that they rigged a rising star nomination?). The sad truth is that despite all the Jimmy and Co. have been trying to do to get this club back on its feet, we are still on the hit list and will remain so until we have pushed ourselves into an unassailable position.

You may well be right, but i believe this club will beat this situation. It won't be easy but if the Team & club play and operate with passion & commitment for an extended length of time (make it standard procedure) we can pull through. The MCG is our home.

Unfortunately I whole heartedly have to agree with Ralphius. Its just going to be a matter of who they break first. For melbourne to survive as a stand alone the off field must be as good as on field. A failure in either part in the next decade could see the end of us. I dont think Richmond will have too many problems but the dogs and North are a different story.

This is what they rely on Jaded. Demand significantly exceeds supply & they are making a killing on reserved seating. It's big enough for them to make a decent gate but not so big that punters can just rock up & sit where they like.

Absolutely.

Geelong have a Clean stadium with reserved seating for the lot-with the new Grand stand built they make a Bucket load of cash each game.

Massive advantage-almost Wet Coke & Crows like...almost. The Cattery is everything Etihad isn't!!!!!

Massive advantage-almost Wet Coke & Crows like...almost. The Cattery is everything Etihad isn't!!!!!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________It's no wonder Geelong have won 2 of the last 3 premierships(should be all 3).

They have a huge advantage playing so many games at Kardinia Park.

It's not fair that they play at a stadium that holds 25000 when they have over 30000 members. It's very hard for the visiting opposition supporters to get in. So they play in front of a completely Geelong audience so often. We all know what an influence a partisan crowd has on the players....and the umpires!

Also it is such a long, narrow ground that familiarity with it is more important than any other regular AFL ground. Even though we travel there almost every year, our players STILL kick it out on the full on the south side because of the unusual narrownessIt must be even harder for interstate sides to have to catch a long bus trip after flying over.

Geelong's got great players, but they've got by far the biggest advantage in the AFL.

No AFL games should be played there till it can hold at LEAST 35000.

Actually, they only play 7 games there each year.

The only Victorian sides they can accommodate are Melb., North, Dogs, and (of late) Richmond.

They treat visiting supporters, even those with 16-game memberships as I have, with utter contempt.

They have two warring cheer squads, and each gets a spot behind opposite goals.

It's near-impossible to book a seat, and if you do pay the $50 or so you'll be surrounded by Geelong supporters who get quite indignant if there's a 'foreigner' in their midst.

The beer queues can stretch 50 metres, and toilet queues are similar.

As I mentioned earlier, I live 20km from the venue, and myself together with 5 mates will go to Subiaco or TIO before we go to K Park.

RM tell us more re text messages - I missed that

Actually, they only play 7 games there each year.

The only Victorian sides they can accommodate are Melb., North, Dogs, and (of late) Richmond.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.

7 games is a LOT with the advantages they have there.

It's wrong to say they can accommodate Melbourne(and, I'm sure , the other Vic Clubs)

Every time we play there , Melb supporters complain because they can't get a ticket. It'll be worse when we're an AFL force again(soon).

They're trying to increase the capacity there, but until they do, they should only host interstate sides.(even that's a bit unfair,I reckon.)