Tom Scully Rising Star

Dappa Dan

For a 7th game....for any game....

It's amazing that when you look at his form in the TAC cup, wherever he got games before he came up to AFL level, he was playing a certain type of footy. Oodles of possessions, great fitness, played out games and always racked up 20+ possessions even on a bad day. He had an interrupted pre-season with his surgery he had to have, and he takes to AFL... and doesn't change a thing. Be it top-4 sides from 2009, or other kids in their teenage years, Scully plays EXACTLY the same game.

There's good reason Mick Malthouse mentioned Judd after the game. His first year was in a similar vein in that respect. He plays a bit of a different game, but the difference between his footy as a teenager vs his footy in his first season as an Eagle was really not all that great. I can't think of too many other players who flew in the face of the trend of first year players like this guy. And he's not alone. Trengove is doing almost the same thing.

Scully is going to be the superstar game turner that we have been needing for years (18 possesions in the 4th)! Will be the Rising star this week . But Nic Nat will win the rising star as the media are selling him so hard to the brain dead masses.

Drives me nuts. I get the fact that the Rising Star voters, as well as the whole footbal world will be sick of yet another mature-bodied midfielder winning the award (Palmer, Rich), and will give NicNat every chance.

But I recommend anyone go to footywire.com. They have a statistcal comprison thing going on there where if you click a player, if they're in the top 10 or so in the league for a stat, it'll show their position. What they do that I like is they have a ranking system for rising stars. Scully is dominating it now.

without a doubt, I turned to my mate and said the exact same thing when the siren went.

I actually made that call at 3/4 time... or at least when my crappy connection decided to give me the 3/4 stats. At that stage he was only on 21 touches!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Ronald Dale presented him with the #31, he said words to the effect that if the kid ever failed to give his all, he would personally come down to the rooms and rip the jumper off his back. Ronald Dale was firmly affixed to his seat in the Stands last night, and me thinks that's the way it's gonna stay. Ronald Dale, like the rest of us, was well pleased with what he saw...!

Well done, Tom!

It was my first chance to see him live and he played well above my expectations. Well played Tom. Also excited that his presence will make life easier on the Beamers, Jones, Sylvia etc.

I remember someone last year mentioned that if Scully was playing with the Dees, he would already be our best midfielder. If he isn't now, he is not far behind. It is nice to have some genuine speed around stoppages with Scully and Davey.

Scully has been tagged hard in under age footy since forever. At least he had 6 and half games without extreme/tight attention.

Now I don't want to be presumptuous...

But I was thinking about the number 31, the Barrassi connection, and the Judd comparison.

If the Judd comparison holds any weight, we may well have a player here who will give Ronald Dale a run for his money as the greatest ever demon.

7 games in, I realise that, and a loooong way to go. But IMO, getting off to a quick start is what makes people crown players like Judd and Cousins as greats. A LOT of players become league leaders for only a few years, and then suffer an injury, or left their run to late and age.

Scully, along with Trengove, are two players who have covered enough ground and have showed enough of their wares to make me believe the title is within their reach if things don't go ass-up. And that's not something I've been able to say about ANY other player I've seen in the red and blue.

Scully, along with Trengove, are two players who have covered enough ground and have showed enough of their wares to make me believe the title is within their reach if things don't go ass-up. And that's not something I've been able to say about ANY other player I've seen in the red and blue.

I'd put Grimes in that category too, you can already tell he'll be a great player, although I suppose he might be half a step below Scullgove.

I used to say that Grimes was the best 18-gamer I've even seen, but now Scullgove are the best 7-gamers I've ever seen. Oh the problems I have :wub:

A kid in his 7th game has almost 40 possessions in the teaming rain and we are discussing the quality of his foot disposal. What a joke.

Thankyou

I'd put Grimes in that category too, you can already tell he'll be a great player, although I suppose he might be half a step below Scullgove.

I used to say that Grimes was the best 18-gamer I've even seen, but now Scullgove are the best 7-gamers I've ever seen. Oh the problems I have :wub:

Hmmm. But better than Barrassi? My thought was that he didn't have enough polish. But yes, not far off. The other two? The sky is the limit. So far Scully has had Judd/Cousins/Black comparisons... And for Trengove I've heard Buckley/Cousins comparisons. Can't ask for much better ones than that!

Still can't believe it, incredible effort. There's no chance he wont get the nomination this week.

Zero chance. Nice Avatar, BTW.

I have to wear a big long coat to games now to hide my excitement for Grimes, Scully, McKenzie and Trengove.

And throw in jones, what a fantastic group of players.

Go Dees Attack

Dees hit Jackpot

I often have problems with how Lethal sees this game but am in full agrreement with his sentiments here. Jackpot indeed :)) actually Jacks-pot ;)

He must surely get the nomination this week.

Wouldnt be often that Lethal and Micky Mouse agree.... things are changing for us arent they !! :)

There have been very few players more deserving of a Rising Star nomination.

I know it's all rubbish and means nothing, but we still gush over a 38 disposal-game from Ablett, so to think Scully topped that in the pouring rain in a losing team is absolutely outstanding.

I think some of the "expert" commentators who think the Rising Star is already a closed shop for 2010, should re-think their stated-as-fact-opinion. Otherwise young Tom, could provide much egg-on-face.

NicNat will have to keep on doing the freaky things he does, he is a great player...

HOWEVER - Scully has taken it to a new level, I think what will decide the winner will be if Scully can be consistent and handle the TAG - something NicNat doesnt have to worry about.

There have been very few players more deserving of a Rising Star nomination.

I know it's all rubbish and means nothing, but we still gush over a 38 disposal-game from Ablett, so to think Scully topped that in the pouring rain in a losing team is absolutely outstanding.

Scully is a 7 gamer and I'll take that into consideration (I'm obviously thrilled with his game) but you cannot compare his game with Ablett's on the weekend simply because of the amount of possessions.

Ablett's was one of the most damaging individual games you're likely to see from a player, Scully's was not.

Obviously I'm not saying this to take any shine off, but think it has to be said.

When Ronald Dale presented him with the #31, he said words to the effect that if the kid ever failed to give his all, he would personally come down to the rooms and rip the jumper off his back. Ronald Dale was firmly affixed to his seat in the Stands last night, and me thinks that's the way it's gonna stay. Ronald Dale, like the rest of us, was well pleased with what he saw...!

Well done, Tom!

Did you know whom Ronald Dale was sitting next to---Peter(Crackers) Keenan.

NicNat will have to keep on doing the freaky things he does, he is a great player...

HOWEVER - Scully has taken it to a new level, I think what will decide the winner will be if Scully can be consistent and handle the TAG - something NicNat doesnt have to worry about.

I have a friend who lives in Perth (Fremantle supporter) and he says the hype over there is so over the top you would think this kid has won 4 brownlows

1. He is a great athlete

2. He has a great leap

3. He doesnt get the football enough

4. He is still learning the game

5. From all reports is a very nice kid

One thing he ISNT is a GREAT PLAYER

Scully is a 7 gamer and I'll take that into consideration (I'm obviously thrilled with his game) but you cannot compare his game with Ablett's on the weekend simply because of the amount of possessions.

Ablett's was one of the most damaging individual games you're likely to see from a player, Scully's was not.

Obviously I'm not saying this to take any shine off, but think it has to be said.

I'm not comparing him to Ablett, but the kid is so good they've already put his Rising Star nomination video on the AFL website... check it out here

Love it! :wub:

Leigh Mathews has something nice to say about us: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/93919/default.aspx

Cue Hannabal...:

Hannabal: So Lethal, you've certainly seemed to have changed your tune after your criticism of Jack Watts having seen him play one game last year ... ? Why all the positivity ?

Matthews: Oh what do wou mean Hannabal ? I weally like what Melbouwne arwe doing. I weally wike Scuwwy and young Twengowve and I can only see things improwving with the dewvelopment of young Jack Watts. The Demons young guns arwe absolute bewties ! It won't be too long before Juwwah comes back and young Mowton. I bewiewve it will compliment the side along wiff a rejuwenated Slywia. It's weally weally good news for the Wed & the Blue !