Pink is for Panzy's

Guest Redleg_24

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou. I really should work out this twitter business.

Actually looks not as bad as I thought. I am looking forward to hearing some of the comments from Dogs fans, as well as my work friends. Surely there will be some rippers.

Guest hangon007

We are essentially giving up our brand for the night

I would have thought we are entering a "partnership" with our brand for the night ... We are elevating ourself to a process of win-win marketing. Where both brands stand side by side.

You only have to listen to Whiteboard Wednesday to get a feel for how our CEO thinks.

Edited by hangon007

Pointless to continue the argument. We are wearing the pink and blue guernsey, it is a great cause and I think we are forgetting that we have the opportunity to prove to the football world on the game's biggest stage that we ARE relevant and that we WILL be a force to be reckoned with. For what it's worth, I'll sign up myself and my parents for the Field of Women LIVE.

Absolutely!

Everyone having a sook about ballsgrinters thread, Have a read of Hannabals post. I believe this is the point he was trying to make. I for one agree totally.

While you're there, read old55's post to see why people are taking umbrage to Balls' thread.

Hannabal's point [hey, when did he become Hannabal again? :wacko:] is that the jumper is sacrosanct and should never be touched, i.e. would not matter if the change was pink, purple, turquoise or yellow. Balls' point seems to be saying that he'd be okay with the change if it wasn't pink, which is silly.

Anyway, I'm with gOLLy on the fence. I agree with Hannabal that I'd prefer it if the jumper was sacrosanct, but it's a good cause so I'm happy to make the concession.

I agree with Hannabal that I'd prefer it if the jumper was sacrosanct, but it's a good cause so I'm happy to make the concession.

My wife is a breast cancer survivor and was part of the inaugural Field of Women game. She'll be on the field again this Friday having been invited to once again represent this cause. And it's especially dear to her considering she's lost two friends over the last 12 months from the disease. She thinks it's a great event, but as a Demon herself she'd rather our jumper not change.

The jumper change isn't that big a deal to me, but I'd prefer it be sacrosanct.

...but has always contained the Kangaroo and the Qantas Red (which, by the way, is what the colour is known as in the printing industry). I'm doubting they'll change it into a whale for a month to support Greenpeace in an anti-whaling campaign. Our logo is currently the Red & Blue jumper. Why hasn't this also been changed for this weekend?

KFC is changing their buckets to pink from their well established red branding.

KFC goes Pink

My wife is a breast cancer survivor and was part of the inaugural Field of Women game. She'll be on the field again this Friday having been invited to once again represent this cause. And it's especially dear to her considering she's lost two friends over the last 12 months from the disease. She thinks it's a great event, but as a Demon herself she'd rather our jumper not change.

The jumper change isn't that big a deal to me, but I'd prefer it be sacrosanct.

It's not as if our jumper hasn't changed in the past and it is not as if we don't have two strips already... at least this is a (temporary) change for the better, or should I say, greater good.

The biggger the gesture the bigger the coverage, i think it's a great initiative by the club.

Anyway, I'm with gOLLy on the fence. I agree with Hannabal that I'd prefer it if the jumper was sacrosanct, but it's a good cause so I'm happy to make the concession.

I won't sit on the fence - I'd prefer the jumper remains sacrosanct in all cases but this one.

This move gives me great pride in my club and I think it is so effective BECAUSE it so drastically affects our club's image.

But in the end, it is only a colour change and only for 1 match. The emblem is still the same with the colours changed and a logo added.

We are still easily recognizable as the Melbourne Football Club.

This move clearly shows the field of women to be OUR initiative rather than that of the doggies, whether that is the truth or not.

(obviously it is)

Seriously, let it go.

Obviously in an ideal world we would have an unwavering commitment to our logo not being altered in any way, but that is not realistic in this business.

Only a pigheaded club like Collingwood would try to insist on that, & even they have strayed, whether they admit it or not.

And, if that was you, no more stupid questions or comments at Before the Bounce.

Don't waste people's time with that rubbish.

Ahhh, this is more like it.

Gone (touch wood) are the days when we'd be whinging about last weeks pathetic performance - and pure fear of the up coming belting, the unfair fixture, or 4 page threads full of genuine concern about where our club will be in 5 years time, how much debt we're in and what the fools at the top are or aren't doing about it.

Now it's about what we're gunna look like on Friday football while we fight the Bulldogs and cancer in front of millions.

All things considered, I want us to win those battles and couldn't care less what we look like while doing it.

The club can only do well out of this.

It is a great cause and a great initiative. I understand where people are coming from in regards to the jumper - but I think our hand is already forced on the matter so often that it is a positive that we can get publicity (as well as raising awareness for Breast Cancer research) on our own terms.

As an aside, I actually mentioned this to a mate a few weeks ago and we thought it sounded like it'd be a good move. Good on us for going for it I reckon and as Deestroy All says, it's still the mighty Demons out there on Friday night and we still have a big game to win on our MCG.

Edited by 45HG16

tez..think before you type chump. My mother has been throughbreast cancer!! So keep ya comments to yourself. I think what we are doing is great. You have all missed the point though. The question is did we really need to change the jumper to Pink? really? Pink numbers? Pink lady under AFL logo? That's not enough? Hell i would have been happy with pink shorts. Pink shorts is fine by me. Not the JUMPER

Balls, we haven't "changed the jumper", we have a temp' promo jumper for the occasion which will help build our Brand. And next week will be back to our regular strip.

Good cause to showcase. We're not eddiewood.

Edited by dee-luded

wasn't looking for favours. Thanks anyway.

Hate the Clash jumper to FWIW.

And yeah, what happened to getting that blood red back and that deep blue? Nothings changed from what I can see? Anyone?

jUST GOT A TXT from Jimmy. Reminding us about ladies night at the G. I will be taking my mum. Her first game in 25 years. She listens to the radio every week. She is pumped. I will make sure she wears pink 'n Blue for the occasion.

Go Fuscia's

Don't you mean "Go Ps".

In 2007 it was done before a Sydney game at Telstra Stadium. What is to say it won't be in Brisbane or Adelaide in the next two years? Women in those states suffer from this insidious disease just as much as women in Melbourne

Yes there are, and I have to say that while I am trying not to, this thread offends me........

I understand the never wanting to change the jumper, that it should be sacrosanct, but please, please to those that argue otherwise, it is only a jumper.

And while it is important to all of us please remember when you throw stones at the club for doing what they are doing, there are those that are fighting for their lives,

and if my beloved football club is willing to do this to try and help the thousands of out there, then you'd think we could support them.

Plus this doesn't demean the jumper, but can, and hopefully will enhance the club.

I have just finished reading todays HUN at lunch and saw on the back page that we will trade our red and blue for pink and blue this weekend in support of the breast cancer awareness cause. Are we fair dinkum? I am by no means saying that this charity doesn't deserve all the recognition it can get, but for god's sake, we will be running around the park on our only friday night fixture in 2 years i BLOODY PINK JUMPERS AND SOCKS!!!!!!!

This is so stupid. We will be mocked by every commentator, fans and the football public in general. We are the Demons, not the bloody flamingos!!

Interesting to note that Beamer Moloney was sporting the strip in the paper. Goes with teh hair gel I guess. At least he and Col won't have to worry about getting changed after the game. The can saloon down Acland Street in there pretty pink jumpers and matching pink socks!!

I know I am getting fired up about this. But i truly believe this is a disgrace. We are on TV to a national audience on a Friday and we will fair dinkum be going aroundd in Pink jumpers. what about those people new to the game. How many you reckon will see us on the telly and say "Boy I sure like those guys in the pink...who are they?" - No one!!!!!!!!

Why couldn't we just go with Pink socks, pink numbers, a pink footy (which we did a few years ago) or Pink padding on the goal posts, pink 50 arcs etc. The jumper in our game is the greatest of symbols. Coaches talk about playing for the jumper. It what a club stands for. We have given it up and will look like twats on Friday. Good job. This is a charity BTW. So we don't get a penny for it. Unlike the Blues when they turned 'light blue' for M&M's. They still cop it.

Its a joke MFC. Shame

You sad, sad, ignorant CATTLE TRUCK!!!

I am currently battling prostate cancer and will be wearing some pink on Friday night in support of ALL people who have cancer.

Grow up you ignorant fool and keep your ignorant comments to yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your pitiful attempts to justify why we shouldn't be wearing pink just makes me mad

The only joke is YOU not the MFC

Sorry to ask this, but is it definately true? I did not see todays paper, and i cannot find any info on MFC website or AFL. Just thought that if it was definately happening then I could read about it somewhere? What exactly did it say?

It's true. See Cam's twitter with a pic of the jumper - here : http://twitpic.com/1l6cxa

Guest Balls_Grinter_14

Geee Whiz!!

what a stir!!

No where in the OP have i suggested that wearing some Pink in support of this cause is a bad thing. The main arguement that I made was did we really have to go to the extreme of changing all red in our uniform to Pink, or any other colour for that matter. Wasn't about it just being pink. It was a merely about giving up our identity as "the team we love, the team of THE RED AND THE BLUE".

Hope some of you realise that, as stated at the outset of the OP, that it was not an attack on the cause or the charity in the slightest. It was merely a question of whether changing the whole strip on our biggest fixture as far as TV goes, was a good move.

Most of you think so, so that's that. My view is different and as this is a forum i presume I am permitted to offer a different view?