Pink is for Panzy's

Guest Redleg_24

This thread is an utter disgrace. When you lose someone in your family to cancer, then maybe you will appreciate the campaigns that clubs run to create funding and awareness. Nothing screams different like a pink/yellow/purple or gold jumper. It is different enough for people to sit up and say 'hey, what is up with that'. There is your awareness- and with that awareness comes the funding.

Hats off to all of the people who put time and effort into making this happen.

I hope to see you all at the game, I will not be wearing pink, but I will be cheering my lungs out for the boys that are wearing pink.

Go dees!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean like the way the one-off colour change dilutes the MFC brand?

I assume you're basing this on the assumption that the AFL are then going to give us this game again in the future? I seem to remember a few years back where we started this and it was then moved on to other higher-drawing clubs the next year. Otherwise it is just an anomaly and serves as little to no incentive when the sponsorship agreements come up for renewal at the end of next year.

Do you think the yellow armband in Clash For Cancer also dilutes our brand?? After all, our guernsey doesn't have a yellow band on it any more than it has a pink yoke.

You remember incorrectly. This is only the 2nd time Field of Women has been held at the MCG. We started it, and it continues to belong to us.

Look at the NRL example i posted above. Talk about diluting your brand. The jumpers in that code stand for nothing though. Our do. They sell sponsorship all over it. We are essentially giving up our brand for the night

Correction, we are lending our brand to a greater cause. Give up this business marketing talk... the world isn't spreadsheets and profit and loss statements. Your arguments fail to take something into consideration; the human heart and compassion

We are not going to sink because we changed a red V to a pink one for one night for a good cause. Perspective, not business studies..

Check your facts please.

http://www.bcna.org.au/content/view/558/554/

In 2007 it was done before a Sydney game at Telstra Stadium. What is to say it won't be in Brisbane or Adelaide in the next two years? Women in those states suffer from this insidious disease just as much as women in Melbourne

I did check my facts, which is why I said it's the second time it's been held at the MCG.

This is so stupid. We will be mocked by every commentator, fans and the football public in general. We are the Demons, not the bloody flamingos!!

Its a joke MFC. Shame

I doubt the commentators will mock "breast cancer', as this is what you are implying. Im sure if they do they will be asked a public apology, as this is something you DO NOT joke about, nor have a whine about. What a stupid thread, shame on you.

I assume by the stupid comment you have not lost anyone from breast cancer, otherwise you would not even consider starting this thread.

You are a tool and I am offended by this tread, as I have lost someone close to me. You [censored] IDIOT.

AS i said KS - I am not having a dig at the cause. It's a great cause. And we are fully behind it as a club. However, giving up the jumper on a night when we will be exposed to a national audience is a JOKE!

THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHER WAYS WE COULD HAVE MARKED SYMBOLISM. What about the cancer clash? We had a part of the arm of the jumper yelloe. Not the whole 'V'. You miss the point

Unlike you, the vast majority of that national audience will be accepting of the pink "V" symbolising a great cause and will rally behind it. I'm sure you also give quiche a wide berth... I'm afraid it is YOU that misses the point. Back off to the 1950's with you then.

Edited by hardtack

If the club, as a result, is seen as being committed to this venture then it will enhance our brand. I agree with others who have mentioned some of the gimmicks of the past - I'm sick of them. MFC is making a statement not only that it is behind the cause of breast cancer awareness but that it treats all associations with the club seriously and sincerely. There are intangible benefits to this. It's not like the players are going out in pink negligees and even if they do cop any flack then that will only make them more rounded in the long term.

Edited by 1858

At the risk of being shot down like Balls, I tend to agree. While I support the cause wholeheartedly, to me tampering with the jumper for a one off smacks of a marketing ploy reminiscent of the duck-egg-blue M&M jumpers worn by Carlton a few years ago - not to draw any false comparisons between a multinational organisation and a very worthy charity.

It IS a marketing ploy and a great one at that!! I hope it makes squillions of dollars for the cause.

As an aside, I quite like the Hawks' Kokoda jumper as well.

Edited by hardtack

i loved the picture on the back of the herald sun today!

i remember a few years back the jumpers were for sale but they did not wear them for the game but only at training during the week... i think the

AFL didnt give us permission to wear them at the ground.

Does anybody know if they will be selling the jumpers at the ground i would love to buy one to add to my collection.

also its for a great cause who cares if its pink! my mate whos a doggies supporter reckons they look sick with the pink socks too!

I'm not rapt in the jumper change either. I love the cause and it's not the colour that concerns me, I'd just rather we never change the jumper. I hate the away strip too. I know the blue has changed a lot over the years, due to the advent of colour television, but now that we're trying to go back to the origins of the famous jumper (at least similar to our halcyon days) I'd like us to keep the jumper sacrosanct.

I'm sure that other things can be done without the need to change the jumper. I can't imagine Collingwood agreeing to such a promotion. And whether you like them or not I agree with their manic view of their jumper.

Guest Thomo

The way this works, is that extra media exposure of the guernsey we are wearing (to play along with your nit-picking) results in more eyeballs on the logos on our guernseys. This in turn boosts the media monitor valuations of our major sponsorships and delivers greater perceived value to our sponsors.

Going forward, when it comes to renewing our major sponsorships, these figures are then used, in part, to estimate the value of the overall sponsorship at which point it impacts upon our revenue.

You may think this sounds like a tenuous thread between this event and future revenues, but these are the measures used within the industry.

Thanks, been at the pub having a couple with the boss, and you have posted exactly what I would have liked too. It's a great marketing campaign that happens to do some good. Wins all round.

I'm not rapt in the jumper change either. I love the cause and it's not the colour that concerns me, I'd just rather we never change the jumper. I hate the away strip too. I know the blue has changed a lot over the years, due to the advent of colour television, but now that we're trying to go back to the origins of the famous jumper (at least similar to our halcyon days) I'd like us to keep the jumper sacrosanct.

I'm sure that other things can be done without the need to change the jumper. I can't imagine Collingwood agreeing to such a promotion. And whether you like them or not I agree with their manic view of their jumper.

Agree, if the OP was arguing about never changing the jumper there would be some credibility but he seems to have some underlying issue with pink.

Agree, if the OP was arguing about never changing the jumper there would be some credibility but he seems to have some underlying issue with pink.

If the OP is actually who Graham Gaunt was saying he was, then he has more issues than just those relating to the colour of the jumper.

Guest Thomo

Of course it will bring value. The crux of my whole argument has been whether the value this will deliver is great enough to justify changing the jumper. If you see my comment above, you will note that I have no problem with pink or an alternate strip as a one off for this match. I simply think the claims of huge inflows of cash and sponsorships are greatly exaggerated.

Sometimes it's better to move on than try and continue an argument to save face. For you, this is one of those times.

Sorry to ask this, but is it definately true? I did not see todays paper, and i cannot find any info on MFC website or AFL. Just thought that if it was definately happening then I could read about it somewhere? What exactly did it say?

Never said it would turn anyone away, nor was my post a rant.

Coming from a marketing background I am finding it hard to distance myself from the mantra of the successful brand manager which is basically - good brands don't change. Cf. Qantas' support of the BCNA - it painted one Bombarder Q400 pink, but certainly would never have considered adding a pink kangaroo or altering the red background. These symbols are too valuable to the overall brand to tamper with. The red and blue are inextricably linked to the MFC brand, and to play around with them at a time when we are trying to reestablish the brand is not ideal.

Qantas logo has changed 4 times.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/history-kangaroo-symbol/global/en

Everyone having a sook about ballsgrinters thread, Have a read of Hannabals post. I believe this is the point he was trying to make. I for one agree totally.

Dear Balls,

a brief Google search has given me a list of just a hand full of sporting clubs and codes to change (and therefore "cheapened") their jumpers, uniforms, kits, etc to pink in the name of breast cancer:

Melbourne Demons

Australian Cricket team

Casey Scorpions

Denver Broncos

National Football League

Major League Baseball

LeBron James & the Cleveland Cav's

Baltimore Ravens

Chicago Cubs

San Fran 49ers

Along with this are a just a few of the many companies to have "cheapened" their own brand in the name of breast cancer support:

Gray-Nicholls

Coca-Cola

Nike

Sports Illustrated

Electronic Arts

Ford

The London Eye

Reebok

Baker's Delight

This is by no means an exhaustive list. I'm sure that none of these athletes, clubs, organisations or companies are embarrassed to have donned pink for the cause. I believe that they would be proud to be seen as productive to the cause.

The Melbourne Football Club & its fans, on the other hand, have a very valid reason to be embarrassed. That reason, I'm afraid, is you and your backward thinking.

Can someone please point me to where I can find out if this jumper change is happening. There does not seem to be any news about it that I can find. Gee, wouldnt this thread seem very long and stupid if it was not even going to happen. :)