Nathan Jones

Bang Bang Bang

Is it just me or has Nathan Jones' disposal improved dramatically this year?

I think the problem in previous years was a lack of poise leading to him blazing away, this year he has lowered his eyes a bit and is hitting his target a lot more than he used to. Technically I reckon he's a pretty sound kick.

Close to BOG against the Tiges IMO.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Without looking at stats (they bore me) I would think so. He still tries to do a bit much in traffic but seems to have a bit of a plan "B" of who to give it to if he gets grabbed.

I think that people also forget just how young he is and how his best is still to come.

Edited by Rojik of the Arctic

I think the problem in previous years was a lack of poise leading to him blazing away, this year he has lowered his eyes a bit and is hitting his target a lot more than he used to. Technically I reckon he's a pretty sound kick.

Thank you for starting this thread. While I don't think he got enough of the footy to be BOG he was very damaging with his possessions. When his head is right he chooses the most attacking option and his delivery was very good.

I thought he showed some excellent signs against Adelaide as well.

In retrospect Jones and Moloney were always going to do well against the smaller bodies of the tiges who struggled to make thier tackles stick.

Thank you for starting this thread. ..........

In retrospect Jones and Moloney were always going to do well against the smaller bodies of the tiges who struggled to make thier tackles stick.

Whether Jones can continue to improve his kicking will determine his future.

In the 1st quarter (I think), he delivered an outstanding, non-preferred side pass on the northern wing, about 35 metres. He also made some good, if unpressured, preferred side passes during the game.

BUT, and this is a big but, a number of times he shanked attempts at long bombs into the forward area. He has a natural, crude kicking action which is to drag the ball down onto the kicking foot when going for distance.

He must eliminate this if he is to stay a part of what may well be a gun mid-field.

Also, your comment about the smaller tiges bodies is well founded.

Whether Jones can continue to improve his kicking will determine his future.

In the 1st quarter (I think), he delivered an outstanding, non-preferred side pass on the northern wing, about 35 metres. He also made some good, if unpressured, preferred side passes during the game.

BUT, and this is a big but, a number of times he shanked attempts at long bombs into the forward area. He has a natural, crude kicking action which is to drag the ball down onto the kicking foot when going for distance.

He must eliminate this if he is to stay a part of what may well be a gun mid-field.

Also, your comment about the smaller tiges bodies is well founded.

Yeah. Good post, mono.

I'm nibbling at a bit of humble pie re. Nathan Jones at the moment.

I worry about the random handball out of the pack when he gets possession under pressure - the sort of thing you see them doing at training with no opposition. However, I really liked his intensity on Sunday; it was second to none.

He is not the only Senior player to have improved his disposal. Bartram has also improved out of sight!

Midefield coaches are obviously doing something right.

Credit for Jones and Co for such a large improvements in their games.

He is not the only Senior player to have improved his disposal. Bartram has also improved out of sight!

Midefield coaches are obviously doing something right.

Credit for Jones and Co for such a large improvements in their games.

Some players have shocking kicking styles and therefore don't hit their targets. I don't think a Bartram or jones (both of whom have been accused of being poor kicks in the past) have too much wrong with their kicking actions. Certainly not like some of the real shockers such as the big man Earl Spalding, Daniels (ex red-head Swan/Saints) or perhaps Tippet currently. But what they have not had in the past is time, maturity and confidence.

As we get better, I think it will start to look like a lot of players are improving their disposal. When confidence starts to build, a team feels it is capapble of anything. It is amazing the change that can bring about.

I was at the Coburg vs Frankston game on Sunday. Half way through the 3rd qtr, Frankston, a team hardly expected to win a game all year, were soundly beating the Tigers by 8 goals. Players such as Cousins, Nahas, King, Polo, Mcguane, Roberts etc were ineffective and missing easy targets. But a few workman-like goals later the same previously inept players got a sniff and all of a sudden started to over-run a clearly inferior quality side. 10 mins into the final qtr the Tiges hit the front. They ended up losing by 4 points, but the turnaround in skills in the space of half a quarter when confidence started to build was astounding.

And look at the Dogs on Sat night. They are considered a silky smooth team with great disposal by hand and foot. But the pressure the Lions exerted on them added to their recent drop in confidence (probably because their coach keeps slagging them off) caused a near record amount of turnovers.

In our case, last year even our handballs couldn't hit the side of a very large barn. Now all of a sudden we are playing some decent free-flowing footy. Sure we're still making errors, but now we see that the boys have the confidence to attempt and hit the correct targets more regularly. Some of our previously scorned turnover kings we might just find are not as inept as we thought.

Scully says that he and Moloney are the main players that have taken him and the other young guns under his wing, and for that alone he deserves recognition.

His skills aside, I love the fact he has a bit of mongrel about him. It does mean he attracts opponents but to his credit he usually finds a way out of traffic. He's a battler in the good sense of the word.

I was thinking exactly the same thing over the last few games.........and not just his disposal, his game all round!

Moloney and Jones look like they have both improved their skills this year, and that's a big credit to them.

Other than Green, i recon Jones in one of the most consistent players in our side, he is only a baby himself and once he get his skill level peaks, he will be one of the most valuable players in our team. He is a player that has never given up, even when we have been getting smashed by the opposition

Nathan Jones is a talisman for this team. In the second half of last year, his decision making and disposal jumped a couple of levels, it was a very obvious shift. His first couple of games this year were a bit scratchy, but Adelaide was a shift up again, and Sunday's game was frankly close to flawless from Jonesy. His ability to assess the right option and make it stick was excellent, and his passing into the 50 was pinpoint (if you can call 50 metre kicks that never get above 3m off the ground, passes). Look at the replay, and tell me his delivery wasn't exquisite. Remember Stephen Tingay's foot passing at his best? That's what we're lookin' at with Jonesy. He is rolled gold, a true demon.

Jones. Good player. Not a star. But won't let anyone down in finals.

Agree.

Love his mongrel but I still worry about his decision making and disposal under pressure. he has been very good in the past 2 weeks but I wonder whether he could face less pressure than he did against Adel and the Tigers.

Saturday will be a test.

Jones. Good player. Not a star. But won't let anyone down in finals.

I disagree. In the finals is where he will be found out - there is no evidence that he can perform under a 'pressure cooker' atmosphere.

Hope I'm wrong, but I won't be.

I disagree. In the finals is where he will be found out - there is no evidence that he can perform under a 'pressure cooker' atmosphere.

Hope I'm wrong, but I won't be.

How many of our players have played finals at this level?

Always Nr Negative

Plaese agree that Melbourne have improved from 2009

You do realise we are equal first in tackles so far this season

16th last year

You over rate finals pressure like the media do

Its still a game of Football albeit with more at stake

If you dont put pressure on the opposition in a final you lose (its that simple)

These are the games when "playing the game above the shoulders" has most rellavance

And who says Jones will be in our selected side when we eventually do play finals ?

I like Jones and his attitude and attck on the footy

He hasnt played in a consistantly winninmg side like Geelong

I would bet MONEY that Gary Ablett Jnr would NOT have won any awards last year except the B&F if he was a demon

God Forbid but Ablett might not have made Mike Sheahan,s top 10 :rolleyes:

Put your anaylsis on Jones into perspective