• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Watts

2014-Flag

I know this is a very unpopular thing to say, but are we fooling ourselves about Jack Watts. From what we can gather about the game at the weekend young jack was beaten pointless by a less than top 50 draftee. Why was this so? Was he injured? Was he unfit? Or was he not good enough?

I dearly hope I am wrong on this, but I fear he may be another Molan.

Reassure me someone. Show me evidence to the contrary.......

This thread is going to go down as a classic. If it ever does in fact go down. And I reckon mostly because of this opening post. Hell, the thread has 5 times as many posts as the 2014-Flag!

"A post, that will live... in infamy."

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love for Jack Watts on "One Week At A Time". Walls pointed out that we get to see Nic Nat's 2 highlights per week adnauseum but Watts provides a dozen quality possessions per week. Quartermain also a wrap for Watts, and pointed out Nic Nat's current average of 1 mark per game!

If there's one thing that we've seen over and over again from plenty of players it's that an unskilled player takes time to improve his skills, and plenty of players never really overcome their shortcomings in this department. Fitness and game sense can be fixed with a lot more ease than skills can, and that might hamper Naitanui in the future.

I enjoy watching Naitanui take marks and run rings around players who should theoretically be able to catch him, but I don't believe he will be even close to as good a player as Watts will be.

So then Martin, who is a poor poor man's Nic Nat in terms of being an "athlete" type is about where on your list?

Why are we bothering with him if chances are his footy skills and smarts may never improve?

While I am at it, how about Spencer? How do we get him to improve?

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Love for Jack Watts on "One Week At A Time". Walls pointed out that we get to see Nic Nat's 2 highlights per week adnauseum but Watts provides a dozen quality possessions per week. Quartermain also a wrap for Watts, and pointed out Nic Nat's current average of 1 mark per game!

Damn I missed it. I watched "On The Couch" and I'm not sure why. I don't even think there was a mention of him.

That mustn't give you a lot of enjoyment considering he only takes 1.2 marks per game. This is the most damning stat on Naitanui for mine. The bloke's 6'6", plays on the ball, jumps like a roo and runs like the wind, you'd reckon he could find a way to take a grab here and there. Just has no ability whatsoever to read the play.

Yeah I picked up the paper and glanced at Naitanui's stats yesterday: 0 marks.

When I said I like watching him take marks I meant it, some of his speccies are just that, but obviously they're not commonplace.

So then Martin, who is a poor poor man's Nic Nat in terms of being an "athlete" type is about where on your list?

Why are we bothering with him if chances are his footy skills and smarts may never improve?

While I am at it, how about Spencer? How do we get him to improve?

What's your point? I said Naitanui is athetically gifted like no other (Martin and Spencer are not even close), which gives him a massive advantage from the start, but he has to work on his football skills, which will take time and might ultimately never get to a decent level, as there have been plenty of players who have never been able to improve theirs.

Martin certainly leans to the 'athlete' side (as opposed to 'footballer') at the moment but I reckon he's got more talent than NicNat.

What's your point? I said Naitanui is athetically gifted like no other (Martin and Spencer are not even close), which gives him a massive advantage from the start, but he has to work on his football skills, which will take time and might ultimately never get to a decent level, as there have been plenty of players who have never been able to improve theirs.

Martin certainly leans to the 'athlete' side (as opposed to 'footballer') at the moment but I reckon he's got more talent than NicNat.

Martin has more talent than Nic Nat.... I have really heard it all.

Take your red and blue goggles off.

The thing is we got Martin in the PSD and the Eagles used a #2 draft pick on Nic Nat. Martin has shown (only down back mind you) that he has a reasonable game sense, whereas Nic Nat struggles and has been found wanting numerous times already this season.

I happened to catch a moment of The Winners tonight and it was the Eagles match. There was a stoppage in the defensive side of the centre square for the Eagles and Nic Nat was on the outer inside the square. St Kilda won the ball and Nic Nat had absolutely no awareness, nor predicted that Goddard had slipped out the back, for which he proceeded to nail a goal from 50.

Guest DeesPower

Just watched the replay after being away for the weekend. I can now say JW is starting to show some form. Not among the best but still very influential with the great win. I've no doubt he will be a star.....

He had a couple of kicks on his left. He's skilled on both sides.

He's not Jack Grimes though, he must be one of the best in the comp in terms of his ability on his non-preferred.

Thank God he is not like Grimes-I would hate to see Watts continuously kick backwards.

The big test will come in 6 - 8 weeks time when Jurrah returns. With Bate back also, if Miller and Watts continue in the vain of form they're in at the moment, who will make way?

Hopefully the FD would do the right thing for the future and keep playing Watts and Miller would be the one to make way...

Guest Thomo

I was critical after reports on Jacks VFL form a couple of weeks ago, so I thought that I would give my thoughts after watching him at the ground on Saturday. I was sitting directly behind the interchange bench.

Jack will be a superstar!

Some things that stood out

- He is as tall at Jamar when they were standing next to each other (but Jamar is an absolute monster)

-He looks to have a build that is big enough to be playing AFL now, but his frame looks like he will carry a fair bit more weight as well

-He is fast. He does not look like he is moving fast, but is deceptive. His cruising speed is high.

-He is tough. At least 4 times he was knocked over late, every time got straight back up and continued on.

-He has a fantastic attitude. The Power players tried to rattle and bait him (as above) and he kept his focus. He has a look of confidence about him, a strut, but does not look arrogant. He seems to listen to what coaches and team mates are saying when on the bench.

The thing that stood out to me the most was in the last quarter he spent a period of about 5 minutes on the bench when the game was in the balance. All players were rotated throughout the night, but this break seems a bit longer than normal. Normally the players went to the cool room for a minute, came back got a rub down, then sat on the bench waiting for the call up from the bloke wearing the headset. Instead of sitting back down, Jack stood next to the bloke in the headset, and kept looking up at the coaches box. After a couple of minutes he politely asked when he will be going back on, got no answer, but still stood there waiting. When the game is on the line, the great players want the ball in their hand. This was Jack on Saturday night.

The main thing I think that the coaching staff will be working on is getting him to understand his role. I don't think he realises how big he is yet. I think this may be due to his basketball background. He actually looks like he is trying to play like a point guard rather than a power forward. He is often on the outside of packs looking for the outlet pass when the ball is in the air moving into the forward line rather than being in the middle of the contest, however as soon as the ball hits the ground he is on his hands and knees scrapping for it. This is not a criticism, the space that he moves to and the way he reads the play are exceptional, but I don't think that is the role he will be playing in the future.

After seeing Jack on Saturday night, there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that the Dees got the best player of the last few years.

After seeing other games over the last few weeks, I think by the end of next year the question will be should West Coast have taken Hill.

Thank God he is not like Grimes-I would hate to see Watts continuously kick backwards.

What an imbecilic comment.

You are aware that Grimes plays in a position where he is often required to switch play and sometimes that requires conceding some ground..?

One step back to take two steps forward..?

Continue on your merry way with that archaic thinking...

Edited by Enforcer25

I'd say he has the one common trait that is prevalent amongst all the great players: cleanness with the footy.

Everything else will come along nicely, but this aspect is already showing heavily in his play and it will hold him in very good stead.

Guest Thomo

Jack DID play point guard as a basketballer.

I know, that's why I said because of his basketball background he is playing like a point gard not a power forward.

The thing that stood out to me the most was in the last quarter he spent a period of about 5 minutes on the bench when the game was in the balance. All players were rotated throughout the night, but this break seems a bit longer than normal. Normally the players went to the cool room for a minute, came back got a rub down, then sat on the bench waiting for the call up from the bloke wearing the headset. Instead of sitting back down, Jack stood next to the bloke in the headset, and kept looking up at the coaches box. After a couple of minutes he politely asked when he will be going back on, got no answer, but still stood there waiting. When the game is on the line, the great players want the ball in their hand. This was Jack on Saturday night.

Maybe just maybe that dill Parkin will stop the attitude thing. My observations on th TV were much the same he wants to play and is a team player.

I like the way he works with Miller. His hands are so quick.

"billy the kid" quick.

So I used the word 'talent' in place of 'football ability'. Boo hoo.

Stop trying to tell everyone where they're wrong.

You can't take that away from him!

He's got nothing else to contribute.

I was critical after reports on Jacks VFL form a couple of weeks ago, so I thought that I would give my thoughts after watching him at the ground on Saturday. I was sitting directly behind the interchange bench.

Jack will be a superstar!

Some things that stood out

- He is as tall at Jamar when they were standing next to each other (but Jamar is an absolute monster)

-He looks to have a build that is big enough to be playing AFL now, but his frame looks like he will carry a fair bit more weight as well

-He is fast. He does not look like he is moving fast, but is deceptive. His cruising speed is high.

-He is tough. At least 4 times he was knocked over late, every time got straight back up and continued on.

-He has a fantastic attitude. The Power players tried to rattle and bait him (as above) and he kept his focus. He has a look of confidence about him, a strut, but does not look arrogant. He seems to listen to what coaches and team mates are saying when on the bench.

The main thing I think that the coaching staff will be working on is getting him to understand his role. I don't think he realises how big he is yet. I think this may be due to his basketball background. He actually looks like he is trying to play like a point guard rather than a power forward. He is often on the outside of packs looking for the outlet pass when the ball is in the air moving into the forward line rather than being in the middle of the contest, however as soon as the ball hits the ground he is on his hands and knees scrapping for it. This is not a criticism, the space that he moves to and the way he reads the play are exceptional, but I don't think that is the role he will be playing in the future.

After seeing Jack on Saturday night, there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that the Dees got the best player of the last few years.

After seeing other games over the last few weeks, I think by the end of next year the question will be should West Coast have taken Hill.

Thanks for sharing Thomo. Enjoyed reading your thoughts on his performance.

Fyfe got the Rising Star nod this week.

Looks like Jack will have to put in a better performance this week against the cats.

If he gets the RS nomination playing against Scarlett we will really know he's arrived.

If he gets the RS nomination playing against Scarlett we will really know he's arrived.

does it have to be Scarlett ? It could be Taylor or Mackie. Scarlett would be on Miller if they set up Miller at FF.