Bennell is our most exciting recruit

burn in hell

Bennell was electric on Saturday. He is good in the air and even better on the ground. He breaks lines and backs himself in. Most importantly, he knows when to GO! Bailey has earmarked Bennell as our go to man when kicking out from defense. It was interesting to see on Sat that Strauss (arguably our best defensive kicker) took the kick-outs and nearly always kicked to Bennell, then, using handball, broke the lines and ran it out of defense. On one occasion, we ran the ball, using quick hands and short kicks, all the way to the forward line. A sign of things to come maybe?

However, due to a surplus of backmen, I believe that Bennell should play on the wing floating back, opposite Davey (wing) floating forward. Prendergast suprisingly overlooked Sydney's Jetta for Gysberts (I hope he is right), but Bennell might be just as good on the wing, if not better. He reminds me of the Adelaide champion McLeod.

Our aboriginal brigade is exceptional. I even love the hardness and intensity of Jetta.

Edited by burn in hell

Bennell was electric on Saturday. He is good in the air and even better on the ground. He breaks lines and backs himself in. Most importantly, he knows when to GO! Bailey has earmarked Bennell as our go to man when kicking out from defense. It was interesting to see on Sat that Strauss (arguably our best defensive kicker) took the kick-outs and nearly always kicked to Bennell, then, using handball, broke the lines and ran it out of defense. On one occasion, we ran the ball, using quick hands and short kicks, all the way to the forward line. A sign of things to come maybe?

However, due to a surplus of backmen, I believe that Bennell should play on the wing floating back, opposite Davey (wing) floating forward. Prendergast suprisingly overlooked Sydney's Jetta for Gysberts (I hope he is right), but Bennell might be just as good on the wing, if not better. He reminds me of the Adelaide champion McLeod.

Our aboriginal brigade is exceptional. I even love the hardness and intensity of Jetta.

I have heard this comparison on here a fare bit but i'm not sold (yet) he should improve alot this year but IMO his decision making still lets him down and that go's for half the team. I am guesing that its a confidence thing and when these blokes get there confidents up they will hit targets and make better decisions more often.

Bennell is very exciting. A lot of people at the Club have talked him up to me over the last year. I can see the source of the excitement. He's got speed and some real class. His game against WCE last year at Subi was sensational. A very good trainer too apparently.

Perhaps a step too far to rank him about Scully, Trengove & Watts as our most exciting recruit though.

Strauss (arguably our best defensive kicker) took the kick-outs and nearly always kicked to Bennell,

Always saw these two as our smalls for our back 6. Hopefully they get plenty of games and build some chemistry between them. They still make too many mistakes for my liking but you have to remind yourself they've been in the club for just over 12 months.

I've got plenty of time for JB.

Most exciting prospect is definitely overstating it. More exciting than Scully, Trengove(, Morton, Watts)? You've got to be kidding. He's not even a certainty to make it at the top level at all yet, let alone reaching the Andrew McLeod level.

What he does have is the tools to become a very good player. I'd see par for Bennell as becoming a good 'B' grader to sit in the 15-22 position on the list of a premiership side, but he's got a lot of work to do to get to that level.

His career is off to a promising start, but I wouldn't get too ahead of myself just yet.

Most exciting prospect is definitely overstating it. More exciting than Scully, Trengove(, Morton, Watts)? You've got to be kidding. He's not even a certainty to make it at the top level at all yet, let alone reaching the Andrew McLeod level.

What he does have is the tools to become a very good player. I'd see par for Bennell as becoming a good 'B' grader to sit in the 15-22 position on the list of a premiership side, but he's got a lot of work to do to get to that level.

His career is off to a promising start, but I wouldn't get too ahead of myself just yet.

Bennell is extremely quick and his evasive skills are outstanding but I am unsure if this is just natural instinct or fear of body contact. He is Mcloud-like in movement but nothing more than that at this time as his kicking at high speed can let him down. I think he naturally follows the ball which is to his detriment playing on the last line. I think his speed and evsaive skills would be better placed off half back or wing at this time. He is one of many talented potential youngsters we have at this time but as with most of them it is only potential at this time.

B-grader? I feel for you.

Bennell is extremely quick and his evasive skills are outstanding but I am unsure if this is just natural instinct or fear of body contact. He is Mcloud-like in movement but nothing more than that at this time as his kicking at high speed can let him down. I think he naturally follows the ball which is to his detriment playing on the last line. I think his speed and evsaive skills would be better placed off half back or wing at this time. He is one of many talented potential youngsters we have at this time but as with most of them it is only potential at this time.

Fear of body contact causes him to have great evasive skills?

Might want to revise that bit as it sounds a tad ridiculous.

Needs to work on his disposal if he's going to make it. Otherwise looks promosing. Sounds like his game on the weekend was quite impressive.

Im sure i remember reading that he had excellent disposal when we drafted him and his highlight package showed as much. It just seems that all these kids we drafted because of their foot skills ar estruggling ot live up to the reputation eg. morton, bennel, maric (strauss looks ok, Watts and Blease unknown). Im hoping its because they are still getitng used to the speed and pressure of AFL and that the skills will shine through eventually.

Having said that Bennell does show good skills at times.

Bennell for mine was the standout of the West Coast match. Comparisons with McLeod are more than a tad premature, but Bennell showed me on Saturday that he has skill, poise, pace and more aggression than last year. I previously was unsure if he would start in Round 1, but it's clear now that he will.

He's not close to being our most exciting player though. Jurrah, anyone?

This guy has talent we just need to give him time like most of our list. He needs to work on his decision making skills but that will come with more game time, this includes knowing when to attack and defend.

Add him to the list of exciting recruits we have a few that have potential to be very good Morton, Grimes, Maric, Watts, Blease, Strauss, Jetta, Scully, Trengove, Gysbert, Tapscott. The only one that we really have seen is Morton.

there confidents

their confidence... come on, really?

Always saw these two as our smalls for our back 6. Hopefully they get plenty of games and build some chemistry between them. They still make too many mistakes for my liking but you have to remind yourself they've been in the club for just over 12 months.

IMO that could be a slight problem. Yes, they're both elite kicks, but neither are the shutdown, defensive type... Strauss is too slow to defend a small forward (as seen on Sat) and Bennell needs to work on his accountability.

I'd see par for Bennell as becoming a good 'B' grader to sit in the 15-22 position on the list of a premiership side, but he's got a lot of work to do to get to that level.

C'mon he's better than that. Harsh call.

Jurrah, anyone?

Agree. In fact, most exciting player in the comp just quietly.

I reckon that's about right. Though I would say that my definition of your "B" grader is a player that falls comfortably into the 7th-14th most important. A player's position plays a part too. Usually mids and a couple of forwards are your most important 6, with a defender sneaking in there occasionally. You can be a VERY good running defender and not be in your top 6 most important players.

I'm excited about Bennell, but am still very conscious of his faults. Lot to like though.

Fair assessment. I worry about his defensive body on body skills.

B-grader? I feel for you.

C'mon he's better than that. Harsh call.

A case of putting the cart well ahead of the horse. He shows potential but little to suggest he is above a B grader. He could ultimately be better than that. Equally he could worse. At present he is just potential at the moment.

Fair assessment. I worry about his defensive body on body skills.

A case of putting the cart well ahead of the horse. He shows potential but little to suggest he is above a B grader. He could ultimately be better than that. Equally he could worse. At present he is just potential at the moment.

I'd say rather negative view about a first year player.

Once he is comfortable at this level, I reckon he'll be doing the stuff he was for WA. Confidence is important in what ever you do. I imagine the pressure on this young side is great.

I'd say rather negative view about a first year player.

Once he is comfortable at this level, I reckon he'll be doing the stuff he was for WA. Confidence is important in what ever you do. I imagine the pressure on this young side is great.

When we have had a wealth of C graders on our list over the past three years, being a B grader will be better than what many other recruits will achieve. You must get disappointed the way some recruits dont become A graders. If he cant better handle the physical side of the game as a defender he will struggle. He has alot of potential but at the moment that all he has. I watch his development with interest.

I think Bennell is going to be a Gun, but it will depend on when players up the ground give him proper leads.

This is one of the reasons people on here talk about his poor disposal-what do you do when you look up while running at top pace ans nothing is there.

Once the Team learns where to run Jamie Bennell could become something equal to Davey, At this stage not will but could.

I sure hope he does. He can run like fire......

Fear of body contact causes him to have great evasive skills?

Might want to revise that bit as it sounds a tad ridiculous.

Why would I revise it when this is what I mean? He at times evades so as to avoid body contact when at times this may not be the right option. At times his speed to do this seems more to do with not wanting the contact rather than purely instinctive.

You're suggesting an AFL player runs fast because he's scared of being hurt rather than because it's an important skill of the game???

Ridiculous.

Yes, a small 1st year player who weighs about 75kg is occasionally going to avoid heavy contact because they will more often than not come off 2nd best and be removed from the contest. It's usually far more important for a speed player to stay in the contest than to recklessly create a collision.

Has to work on his hardness now. He's had a few too many soft efforts in the preseason and it's not acceptable.

The other thing he needs to do is to continue taking the game on and backing himself. He did it very well in his first season even in losing sides.

Bennell has all the talent to play like Harbrow from the dogs, or even better (which is where the Mcleod comparison comes in), but he has to cement himself in the team first.

I'm glad someone got my point. Sometimes I wonder if I am speaking a different language to everyone else. Very frustrating.