• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Where to The Demons?

2014-Flag

Today's game was better than last week for the Dees - but not much. I think both the Bombers and the Dockers are going to end up in the in the bottom four, and so will we if we don't improve rapidly. Although i previously predicted a top 8 finish for us, there is no way this is possible on these two performances. We are simply too insipid and too easily knocked off the ball, as well as a basic lack of intensity particulalry in allowing the ball to come out of our attacking area. There are several individuals which this particularly applies to, of which more later. So what did we learn today?

The Good

1. Jamar absolutely dominated the ruck and gave our on-ballers an arm chair ride. Unfortunately they did not have the skill to capitalise on it.

2. Pettard and Grimes played blinders, and for medium sized players, capitalised on every opportunity, particularly Grimes who not only crumbed well up forward but took some very good pack marks. Outstanding games by both of them, particularly Grimes

3. Scully showed glimpses as to why he was no.1 draft pick. Is a ball magnet, but at the moment too often gets caught with the ball. He is also not a long kick. Had a free kick about 45 metres out in the third quarter and did not even make the goal square. Was also often astray in delivery down field, but is very quick and accurate with hand-passing.

4. Trengove I though was good on the wing in the first half but hardly sighted after half time - perhaps he was injured. At times showed the sublime skills for which he is known, but early days and lacks consistency which is understandable for one so young.

5. I thought our tackling was pretty good all day, and in that respect at least the intensity was good.

6. Colin Sylvia, after an ordinary start last week is getting back to his top form. Faded in the second half.

The Not So Good

1. Lacked intensity, particularly our of attack. Jurrah in particular hardly chased at all, and seemed to be continually out of position.

2. The skills continue to be a concern: dropping easy marks, missing targets, and pathetic kicking for goal. We could easily have lead at half time if they had in any way kicked straight in the first quarter.

3. The defense was loose. I'm not as enthusiastic about our Defence as some others on this site. I think their decision making is often poor, particularly as demonstrated by their ability to lose possession while kicking in. To me this is just lacking discipline and frankly poor coaching. I'm afraid it may signal deficiencies in other coaching areas which may not be so obvious. It can't be blamed on youth, on lack of experience. It is simply a sign of a poorly drilled side, and this was demonstrated time and again at Visy today.

4. Liam Jurrah had another shocker. it was not so much he spilled marks, or was out of position, it was more he seemed to lack interest. Maybe he needs to be played up the field, or even on the ball to get his confidence back, but at this rate he will not be playing round one.

5. Much of our side seems to lack strength. we were continually beaten in one on one contests. This is particularly so of some of our newer players eg Gysberts and Fitzpatrick, even Morton and Scully.

Here are my comments on each player

44. Bail - little to enthuse, did one or two nice things, but mostly a fringe player

3. Bartram - seems to drift in and out, and has lost much of that running play which made such an impact in his first couple of years

21. Bell - better than expected and often took Watson on and won. Maybe can build from here, but still gets caught with the ball far too often

43. Bennell - provided some run out of defence particularly in the second half but also was loose and fumbled. Has potential though, particularly if he could tighten his defensive skills

45. Cheney - was rarely sighted, and had little impact

48. Fitzpatrick - had no possessions. Reminds me a little bit of Nick Smith.

6. Frawley - some uncharacteristic clangers, but still got his usual share of possession.

16. Grimes - great game up forward, both as a crumber and marking forward. Also about the only one who can consistently kick straight. Roll on Jack Watts.

40. Jamar - terrific game from the Russian, absolutely dominated the ruck and even took a brilliant pack mark, even though it was at the wrong end! I think he is the short term answer to our strong marking forward problem, he has done it before and could be invaluable when resting.At least would provide a strong contest, and is a very good pack mark. Can be better used, but at the moment our on-ballers don't know how to take advantage of his ruck dominance (another coaching deficiency?)

2. Jones - gets good possession but so often either gets caught with the ball, or poorly disposes of it. In the third quarter, he grabbed the ball on the half back line, and finding no-one coming at him ran and bounced it to the half forward line but when he was on the wing Jamar was by himself in the goal square. Instead of looking for a target, he blazed away and of course kicked a point. A candidate for a trade a years end. Is not the answer to our on ball problems.

24. Jurrah - has worrying 2nd year blues. as i said before, maybe a role up the ground to restore confidence may be what is needed.

19. Maric - has some skills, but accurate goal kicking is not one of them, neither is consistency.

34. Martin - didn't play a bad game. Took some marks up forward, and held his own in the ruck. Too often fumbles though.

7 Miller - at least provided a target, and was hard at the ball. At the moment is our most effective forward.

22. Moloney - very quiet game, lacks consistency, and does not provide the drive from someone so senior and well respected should be.

10. Morton - for him, had little impact before injury. Was played mostly in defence, where he is wasted. Better either in attach or in the midfield.

15. Petterd - great game from Ricky, whether down back or on the HF line.

27. Rivers - is an effective back with great skills, but at the moment doesn't seem to be making the impact he should

31. Scully - showed class, but needs to improve on some key skills. Taking a while to adjust to the pace of the game

47. Strauss - has some strengths, but far too inconsistent and worryingly was beaten a number of times one on one

12. Sylvia - wonderful first half, but faded. Looks though to be returning to top form

9. Trengove - good first half. Can see the potential, rarely makes skills errors, is a great mark for his size, and has some pace. will be a star

1. Warnock - often too loose, and was worryingly beaten in the air on a number of occasions.also shown up for lack of pace by a class forward

5. Gysberts - had no impact in his first game. very light framed and often just knocked out of the way. Impossible to tell his skills cos he hardly got the ball

28. Macdonald - I think this guy is an ordinary pick up. He was a number of times beaten for pace today, and also in the air. I do not think he will make our best 22, but i guess at least he has experience

Finally, I was sitting three rows down from all the non playing Demon players today, and for such a young group it struck me as though they were singularly detatched from what was going on on the field. Maybe they have seen too many games, but there seemed to be very little passion there.

This was not a good day for the MFC

I think that a "lack" of intensity in a pre-season game is hardly anything to worry about. If they lack intensity in round one, then we worry. But that's not really something to consider in practice games. Maybe if first-year players are lacking intensity, which none of ours did.

You were at a different game fella!

Martin played well?

Scully not up to pace? He was to fast for his team mates buddy Ready to dish off and hit a target and forced to hold on to it for lack of options. Maybe it was where you were sitting but it seems to me you didn't really have a great understanding of how the game was unfolding (No disrespect)

Miller our most effective forward? He can't kick it straight! and I would think Petterd and Sylvia when he floats would be far ahead.

Your right about Jones.

Warnock covered 2 talls all day because no-one else was within a country mile of the right position in the back and made at least 5 pack spoils and several strong ground clearances under pressure in the back.

For such a detailed report you seemed to miss a lot of the game.

Cannot get over your summation Of Stefan Martin's game!

Edited by Fan
see reason for edit above

disagree with the majority of your post

you are being far too pessimistic, and that's coming from a bona fide pessimist who was at the game

Can you do an assessment please C and B?

If you are concerned that rookies without an AFL game to their name are getting outmuscled I`d not bother going to the footy this year 14.

Massive over reaction.

I wasn`t at the game today but from what I`ve read and with the amount of players due to come back into the side, and after a 5 day break from WA, I`d say it was a pretty good effort.

Today's game was better than last week for the Dees - but not much. I think both the Bombers and the Dockers are going to end up in the in the bottom four, and so will we if we don't improve rapidly.

Well here's your first mistake. Essendon will not be bottom 4 this year. They are in with a strong chance to make finals again. So I'm not terribly fussed about losing to a much better team who had 2 weeks off compared to our 5 days, and who played a near full strength team compared to our half strength one.

Yesterday was nowhere near as bad as last week. Not even close.

Today's game was better than last week for the Dees - but not much. I think both the Bombers and the Dockers are going to end up in the in the bottom four, and so will we if we don't improve rapidly. Although i previously predicted a top 8 finish for us

This is as far as I got.

Scully actually had a good game, particularly in the second half. Bennell was most disappointing.

I'm a bit more pessimistic about 2010 than most D'Land posters. We need Green, Davey, Sylvia, MacDonald - and to a lesser extent Miller, Rivers, Bruce, McDonald - playing consistently well for us this year or we will get smashed most weeks and finish bottom 2-3.

We need Green, Davey, Sylvia, MacDonald - and to a lesser extent Miller, Rivers, Bruce, McDonald - playing consistently well for us this year or we will get smashed most weeks and finish bottom 2-3.

That's hardly surprising, nor is it unusual for any team in my view.

Most teams would need their senior players playing well.

6 of whom you mention, Mcdonald, Bruce, Green, Miller, Davey and Rivers, are the players on our list with the most games played.

Sylvia and MacDonald sit 8th and 9th.

I'd say most teams would need 8 of their top 9 most experienced players playing consistent footy.

With the other practise match results going the way they have been, and with watching yesterday and last Sunday..anything above bottom two would be a happy surprise. But Its possible Ive followed Melbourne for so long Im comfortable with a bleak outlook.

i was at the game and these were my thoughts.

morton is soft and lacks the passion for the contest, sometimes watching him i thought he [censored] himself, for a top pick i would of expected a lot more.

joel mc donald lacks pace and is not a good decision maker.

grimes is a star.

jones and bartram try to do to much, should be told to use first option not the sixth and sell a team mate in trouble.

miller , does not use his body to crash packs and hurt opposition, kicking is woeful.

jurrah must be moved up the ground earlier to get him in the game(coaching move) didntn happen till late.

there was hardly any forward pressure. also must lean to keep his feet, falls over to often and seems to do it on his own after the contest.

players do not attack the ball hard enough, and when they havent got the ball and don't attack the player they only carell them giving them time to use the ball easier. maybe they should watch north melb game last week against geelong. overall melb lack alot of hardness.

fitzy will be the next ben holland. carnt wait.

if straussy was picked up for his kicking why is he not kicking the ball into play. frawly shouldnt be doing it, should be on the arc making a target to kick to.

jamar shouldnt recieve handballs to set up play. doesnt kick the well enough, same goes for warnock.

maric lacks confidence, still think he will be something.

overall real real slight improvement from last week. at least they didnt look like chooks with there heads cut off.

i was at the game and these were my thoughts.

morton is soft and lacks the passion for the contest, sometimes watching him i thought he [censored] himself, for a top pick i would of expected a lot more.

This is the guy who injured himself flying backwards into the path of an oncoming forward and back to attempt a mark/spoil right? Also the guy who ran down an opponent from behind on the wing, outbodied him and then took off with the ball in the other direction. I really think you need to comment on the game, not your preconceived notions of what the players will do.

that is just blatantly incorrect... as the above poster has said, why don't you try actually observing the player with your own eyes, he is NOT a softjock

Can you do an assessment please C and B?

arg I already did one on demonology.. essentially I thought we were far better in every way than we were last week, there would only be 4 or 5 blokes that let themselves down as opposed to about 18 last week... the 40 point margin is not indicative at all of how we compare to Essendon, we are about square with them all thing considered IMHO. Grimes completely owned the occasion in patches, he is the lovechild of Jesus and Elvis

That's hardly surprising, nor is it unusual for any team in my view.

Most teams would need their senior players playing well.

6 of whom you mention, Mcdonald, Bruce, Green, Miller, Davey and Rivers, are the players on our list with the most games played.

Sylvia and MacDonald sit 8th and 9th.

I'd say most teams would need 8 of their top 9 most experienced players playing consistent footy.

What's surprising is that apart from Green our senior players (MacDonald and Rivers can be excused) have never been models of consistency. We'll continue to be frustrating, erratic and schelacked in '10. The guys entering physical maturity who look like they will consistently contribute are few and far between (from 2004-2006, I count Frawley, Garland and Bate).

Mcdonald has always been a very consistent part of the team and Bruce, for all the times I've been critical of him, always puts in and consistently racks up possession of the footy.

That really just leaves Miller and Davey - the former I hold little hope for but I think the latter is starting to find a role in the team that can be meaningful.

Of course we'll be smashed throughout 2010 but it'll have as much to do with having only a handful of players on our list that can be considered experienced as how consistent they play.